Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Second Captains

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,936 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

I was very disappointed with the football show.

Their GAA coverage is top notch though.

have to agree about the football show. as someone living abroad, i'm really disappointed that they never mention LOI football, even just a token mention would be nice.
    they spent a fair whack talking about the french league. i can't honestly say i've met an irish person who expressed a remote interest in that league, ever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 451 ✭✭armchair fusilier

The Football Show was everthing I hoping it was going to be. The return of Ken's newsround(or report on sport), just the right amount of Murph and two decent contributors in Auclair and Barrett. It really wasn't any different from a typical Football Show from their time on OTB and the LOI never featured on it then either. Tbh, I would be a lot interested in hearing about the goings on in Monaco and PSG than I would in listening to a piece on the domestic leauge.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,936 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

The Football Show was everthing I hoping it was going to be. The return of Ken's newsround(or report on sport), just the right amount of Murph and two decent contributors in Auclair and Barrett. It really wasn't any different from a typical Football Show from their time on OTB and the LOI never featured on it then either. Tbh, I would be a lot interested in hearing about the goings on in Monaco and PSG than I would in listening to a piece on the domestic leauge.

you don't remember ever hearing roddy collins on OTB with them previously?? maybe not on the football show, but definitely within the 3 hours.
    the right amount of murph = 0?! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 829 ✭✭✭smellmepower

have to agree about the football show. as someone living abroad, i'm really disappointed that they never mention LOI football, even just a token mention would be nice.
    they spent a fair whack talking about the french league. i can't honestly say i've met an irish person who expressed a remote interest in that league, ever.

Same applies to the LOI for most people,unfortunately.

Lads are only going to cover what the majority of their audience want to hear in fairness.

you don't remember ever hearing roddy collins on OTB with them previously?? maybe not on the football show, but definitely within the 3 hours.
    the right amount of murph = 0?! :D

I remember Roddy alright, he's kind of hard to forget. Was it Wensdays nights, just before 8? Never on the football show though. Maybe they'll cover the LOI in the 3 o'clock podcasts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭Swan Curry

So what did everyone think of today's podcasts?I thought the interview with Plumtree was quite good,but I suppose I was just glad there was some rugby on the podcast again.

For someone who has never really had an interest in GAA,I really like the GAA segments on the podcast.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Meathlass

Anyone else having problems streaming from the IT website today?

It won't let me listen to any of the podcasts at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭styron

Meathlass wrote: »
    Anyone else having problems streaming from the IT website today?

It won't let me listen to any of the podcasts at the moment.

Naah, playing fine on the IT site here - you can download them here instead:

http://feeds.feedburner.com/secondcaptainsitcom

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭Strongbow10

dulpit wrote: »
    Jesus that interview with the UFC fighter was awful, Eoin tried his best but the fighter (name escapres me) came across terribly.

Haven't listened to the football show yet, that'll be my drive home this evening though.

McGregor is clearly a very talented fighter, he tries too hard to be different in my opinion. If you have to tell people you are different then usually you are going out of your way to be so.

He is one to watch in the UFC in fairness to him and takes his craft very seriously. But what is the story with his accent? not his dublin accent before any dubliners take offence, but he seems to slip into an american twang every now and again which is strange considering hes been in the US all of 5 minutes

• Registered Users Posts: 19,588 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Nice one, kept thinking it was Monday, forgot there'd be two podcasts today.

• Advertisement

The part about Emile Griffith was pretty good,sad to think homophobia still has such a strong presence in sport over 50 years later.

I don't know much,if anything,about football,but I get a feeling that when Graham Hunter talks about Spanish football or football in other countries relative to Sapnish football,he's talking out of his arse.Can anyone confirm or deny this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 829 ✭✭✭smellmepower

Yeah pretty much,the entertainment factor is with Ken intentionally pissing him off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭InchicoreDude

Yeah pretty much,the entertainment factor is with Ken intentionally pissing him off.

Getting a little tiring for me to be honest. They need a little less Graham Hunter. And more variation.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

Will there be the two shows today or will they be concentrating on the pilot tonight does anyone know?

EDIT: I should have just refreshed iTunes before asking... Never mind! :o

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭krieture

Thought the football show was excellent today. The best so-far.

The James Montague interview was brillant. Very insightful and brought me back to the classic OTB days of author interviews. Only complaint was that it was too short.

David James, while a pretty ****e pundit (from what ive seen on BT sofar) is a interesting character. Obviously holds pretty strong views and hopefully he will be able to translate them into his punditry.

All in all top-notch!

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭yohan the great

Anybody at the TV pilot tonight?

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭krieture

Anybody at the TV pilot tonight?

Yeah id love to hear about the format, guests and general style. Missed out on tickets....

Any word on the tv show pilot? Will it be broadcast?

Ol' Donie wrote: »
    Will it be broadcast?

Looks like it was for internal viewing only...
    Richie Sadlier ‏@RichieSadlier 8 Aug @ColMcM81 tonight was just a pilot show for internal viewing by RTE bigwigs. Hopefully they'll commission a series on the back of it
    Derval O'Rourke ‏@DervalORourke 8 Aug @RichieML @madrasaysrelax @richiesadlier @saveciaranmurph it was a pilot 4 new tv show guys are doing. shame it won't air, after my victory!

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭Ciaran_B

There's ads in todays pods. Good news for the lads, they must be getting good numbers and making a few quid.

• Advertisement

Today's podcasts were pretty good.Highlights were Eoin's Interview with Sean Kelly,especially the part about the doping,and Richie's reaction to the "advice" Ken gave to various interviewees.

Any more news about the tv show?

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭Nwm2

Now they're at the Independent every Wednesday???? WTF?

Swan Curry wrote: »
    Today's podcasts were pretty good.Highlights were Eoin's Interview with Sean Kelly,especially the part about the doping,and Richie's reaction to the "advice" Ken gave to various interviewees.

Any more news about the tv show?

Haven't heard about the tv show, but totally agree with you, Richie's reaction was gas.

I have to say i think the Ger Loughnane "Tonight, Tonight" bit is hilarious.

Edit: What's this about The Independent?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,380 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Interview with Sean Kelly was utterly compelling, I don't think he (Kelly) came across well at all, excellent interviewing by Eoin.

I love how these podcasts (same as the show before) make it easy to listen to these mad stories about sports you don't really know or care about normally.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭Ciaran_B

Sean Kelly interview was great all right. I never knew he raced in South Africa under a fake name. Top class from Eoin.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Meathlass

Great Sean Kelly interview. Doesn't come across as a particularly nice man.

No problem with cycling in South Africa during apartheid. Did it under a false name too so must have known it wasn't a good idea. His only regret? Not getting to cycle in the Olympics because of his one year ban.

Completely dodged all the questions on doping

• Registered Users Posts: 16,069 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Today's football podcast available for anyone else yet?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

Today's football podcast available for anyone else yet?

It doesn't go up until 6pm. Up on iTunes now anyway. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 878 ✭✭✭Drummerboy2

Its a shame we haven't got a totally sports orientated radio station. Something like an Irish version of Talk Sport. I think there would be a keen interest in it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement