Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Second Captains

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,116 ✭✭✭starviewadams

Yeah,I just skip the majority of rugby and GAA stuff,fairly handy.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,269 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

The Second Captains twitter feed (@secondcaptains) have now posted a link to the RTÉ website, as they are showing boxing European championships tomorrow...

https://twitter.com/SecondCaptains/status/342666532347867136
    Watch our brilliant boxers tomorrow as they aim to be number 1 team in Europe. @RTEsport live stream of European semis from 12pm #minsk2013

Now it might be nothing, but it could be viewed as a sign that they are moving closer to RTÉ?

Or am I simply grasping at straws?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,272 ✭✭✭Deedsie

"We will be announcing some exciting new developments for the show over the next few days.... so do watch out for that!" Eoin McDevitt on Tuesday's podcast

Hopefully something will be announced today?

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭yohan the great

Is the podcast out today?

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭krieture

Is the podcast out today?

up now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,579 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Deedsie wrote: »
    "We will be announcing some exciting new developments for the show over the next few days.... so do watch out for that!" Eoin McDevitt on Tuesday's podcast

Hopefully something will be announced today?

Havent listened to today's one yet. What were the developments??

Too much Murph in this weeks episode for my liking!

Emigrant shout out thing is wearing thin.

Ol' Donie wrote: »
    Havent listened to today's one yet. What were the developments??

I didn't hear any mention during todays show anyway. Bit disappointing really. Why say it at all like?

I thought the show was good, nice mixture and good to get an update on the cycling world. The GAA coverage was great and the soccer with Sadlier's reminiscing was very interesting. I'd say next week will cover Rugby and possibly very little GAA as this weekend is pretty low profile games. Though I suppose they could preview the following weekend?

Personally speaking I think the show is improving on each episode... More shows needed though, it's tough to do a sports show on a weekly basis with how fast things change...

I listen to it on soundcloud. For some reason it (usually) won't let me pause if, say, someone comes over to my desk and starts talking to me. In fact nothing responds and i have to restart the phone, and then guess where i stopped listening from. Very irritating.
    This happen to anyone else? Any solutions?

• Advertisement

@SecondCaptains: We got Shane Horgan, @TrevHogan back at base and @AlanQuinlan1 in Canberra comin atcha for super handsome Lions build-up. #lionslionslions

Rugby heavy day :-) understandable with the first test coming up on Saturday. I'd be amazed if there wasn't a good bit of Pat McQuaid talk to, after he didn't get nominated by Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,011 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Has this week's materialised for anyone else yet?

Has this week's materialised for anyone else yet?

Not yet...

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭A P

I am only 20 minutes into the podcast, again Shane Horgans phone line is terrible. I dont know why but it sounds terrible.

I am only 20 minutes into the podcast, again Shane Horgans phone line is terrible. I dont know why but it sounds terrible.

Yep, bit annoying alright. Be better off using skype or something...

Enjoyed hearing about the stuff in Brazil,and always good to hear US Murph.

Can the emigrant shout out thing,has definitely run it's course at this stage.

Would probably be grand if they had 5 nights of radio to fill,just seems like a waste of time on a weekly podcast though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 451 ✭✭armchair fusilier

Can the emigrant shout out thing,has definitely run it's course at this stage.

Would probably be grand if they had 5 nights of radio to fill,just seems like a waste of time on a weekly podcast though.

It's getting to be quite annoying alright. Murph isn't great at reading from a script and it wasn't help by the fact that his mic seemed to be much higher than everybody else's today, or maybe he just was speaking very loudly. I suspect it's going to be around for good bit yet though, as will Eoin's exhaling laugh. It gives him something to do I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

Yeah, the sound quality really wasn't good enough this week. They need to sort it out.

And when Alan Quinlan was talking it sounded like someone was getting tortured in the background.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭Coutinho 10

I have listened to all the podcasts now and I have to say it really doesn't work for me at all.

Hearing US Murph is the only highlight for me.

Unless they have something else on the down low about joining another station or doing online radio in the near future I really can't see this lasting.

Newstalk called their buff and it back fired on them.

• Advertisement

I have listened to all the podcasts now and I have to say it really doesn't work for me at all.

Hearing US Murph is the only highlight for me.

Unless they have something else on the down low about joining another station or doing online radio in the near future I really can't see this lasting.

Newstalk called their buff and it back fired on them.

I don't think it's really a replacement for the Newstalk show, it's more a "we're still here" project until they get paid gigs somewhere else.

Having said that, I really enjoy the podcasts. They have a nice balance of topics and McDevitt is a much better interviewer than anyone in Irish Sports Media.

I think the podcasts are excellent, it shows that the quality of the team goes above the resources of Newstalk (or any other station).

Hopefully it'll lead onto something more permanent somewhere, this once a week malarky is fine for now, but once the football season kicks back into gear in August they'll be ages ahead or behind the news if only weekly...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Reekwind

I'm really enjoying the podcasts. To be honest the quality of the show - particulrly the calibre of the guests they've been attracting - is too good for the internet. They lads need to be back on radio soon

Reekwind wrote: »
    I'm really enjoying the podcasts. To be honest the quality of the show - particulrly the calibre of the guests they've been attracting - is too good for the internet. They lads need to be back on radio soon

Well the future is internet, maybe they're leading the charge?

dulpit wrote: »

Any chance they could lead the charge on a daily basis? A week really is a long time in sport!

I can't see how a podcast to an Irish audience is ever going to sustain a living for five people.

It just won't generate enough revenue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Reekwind

I think that there's a big difference in listenership between drivetime radio and an internet podcast

• Closed Accounts Posts: 451 ✭✭armchair fusilier

Traditionally TV and Radio stations announce their new schedules at the start of autumn. If there is to be a new radio show I doubt we'll hear about about it until then. How likely it is, I really don't know. I'm still hopeful though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

Reekwind wrote: »

I think you need to listen to more podcasts if you think Second Captains is too good for the internet.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement