Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Second Captains

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,394 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Nokotan wrote: »
    In what way? I'm not having a go at you at all by the way, just curious as I thought he sounded like a sound lad.

Maybe he is a sound lad, this is only my totally subjective gut opinion gleaned from just an hour long interview.

But, to me, he seemed a bit in love with the idea of being a truth teller and seemed a bit shocked when people have a problem with that. There's a fine line between being a straight talker and being tactless as well. I'm not saying M'O N was right to have a go at him, allegedly, over the phone, but I can understand him being pissed off.

This is another really minor trivial detail, but his micro-impression of the bartender coming up to to talk to him - "uggghh, I'm a big Wolves fan" - before the interview was recorded, just made him sound a bit dickish to me. But, I wasn't there, I don't really know. And it probably was nothing of any consequence.

At the end of the day if the lad performs well for Ireland, I don't really care what kind of dude he is!

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭tomwaits48

Nokotan wrote: »
    In what way? I'm not having a go at you at all by the way, just curious as I thought he sounded like a sound lad.

I definitely got an aloof/arrogant vibe off what he said. there's a bit of a Cork/Roy Keane superiority complex off him.

Completely disagree with kens critique of Pep' s handling of the Bernard Silva racism non-story.

Ken thought Guardiola should have said something along the lines of "Silva is not a racist but he messed up here". Thus accepting the premise that he was being racist when he clearly was just joking with his friend with no intent to harm or upset him.

I admire pep sticking up for his player. At some point in society we need to start saying No to these fake manufactured Twitter outrages. As I say, I think I disagree with Ken' s appeasement approach on this.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,394 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Think Ken is spot on on the issue to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,575 ✭✭✭jaykay74

Ken going to Tbilisi for a few days in advance of the irish match. Hopefully some decent stories to come :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,900 ✭✭✭Eire-Dearg

Richie interview was pretty good. Felt a bit short, but I suppose that's the trick to leave you wanting more to actually go out and buy the book!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭Dots1982

Completely disagree with kens critique of Pep' s handling of the Bernard Silva racism non-story.

Ken thought Guardiola should have said something along the lines of "Silva is not a racist but he messed up here". Thus accepting the premise that he was being racist when he clearly was just joking with his friend with no intent to harm or upset him.

I admire pep sticking up for his player. At some point in society we need to start saying No to these fake manufactured Twitter outrages. As I say, I think I disagree with Ken' s appeasement approach on this.

Dunno really, it’s hard to see the wood from the trees on these things. I’m white so I don’t know/can’t say how offensive the average black person finds these things.

I think he should be fined and given sensitivity training. A match ban is too harsh. But Man city is a work place (Not your average one to be fair) But I don’t go around my work place making japes about people’s race, never mind publicizing them on social media. I would regard anyone who did that kind of thing to be a walking liability in the office.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭The Davestator

Dots1982 wrote: »
    Dunno really, it’s hard to see the wood from the trees on these things. I’m white so I don’t know/can’t say how offensive the average black person finds these things.

I think he should be fined and given sensitivity training. A match ban is too harsh. But Man city is a work place (Not your average one to be fair) But I don’t go around my work place making japes about people’s race, never mind publicizing them on social media. I would regard anyone who did that kind of thing to be a walking liability in the office.

I see your point, but if you made a 'racial' joke on your own personal social media on your own time, would you accept your employer and possibly, the umbrella organisation for your industry punishing you? i.e Man City & FA

I see your point, but if you made a 'racial' joke on your own personal social media on your own time, would you accept your employer and possibly, the umbrella organisation for your industry punishing you? i.e Man City & FA

I'd be checking my contract with my employer (Man City) and possible notice some clauses related to my behaviour.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,617 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

If you are in a public-facing, well-known role then yes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭Beersmith

I am looking forward to some Ken Georgia travel japes

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭Battery Kinzie

Big things always seem to happen when Ken goes away for a bit. Colleen vs Rebekah can be added to that list now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭Ahwell

That "personal social media" has "Manchester City FC football player" as the only entry in the bio and nearly every image is of him in a Man City kit.

https://twitter.com/BernardoCSilva

• Registered Users Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭Dante

Sure even a colleague of mine was dismissed for personal tweets deemed to be racist. It is commonplace for organisations to include clauses regarding Social Media usage in employee contracts. I imagine it would be even more important in the contracts of the likes of professional footballers.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,854 ✭✭✭deisedude

Sure even a colleague of mine was dismissed for personal tweets deemed to be racist. It is commonplace for organisations to include clauses regarding Social Media usage in employee contracts. I imagine it would be even more important in the contracts of the likes of professional footballers.

+1. I used work in hotels before and everyone who joined the company had to sign a social media policy regardless of what role they were doing. If you did something that reflected the company in a bad way on social media you could be reprimanded

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭thenightman

Big things always seem to happen when Ken goes away for a bit. Colleen vs Rebekah can be added to that list now.

Two talentless leeches arguing about social meeja and leaks to rag like the Sun isn't a big thing. You might want to subscribe to the Heat magazine pod instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,068 ✭✭✭yermandan

Two talentless leeches arguing about social meeja and leaks to rag like the Sun isn't a big thing. You might want to subscribe to the Heat magazine pod instead.

It's not the content of the spat that's important or even interesting, it is Ken's regailing of it and point of view on it that never fails to be amazing content

• Registered Users Posts: 19,603 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Or Off The Ball.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭dulux99

Lighten up mate.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,478 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

The "cuisine of georgia".

Salivating already.

• Advertisement

dulpit wrote: »

If you are in a public-facing, well-known role then yes.

Bernardo doesn't face the public. He competes against fellow professionals, that is his core responsibility. They might tack on some stuff with sponsors and fans etc but he is hardly in a client relations role.

The main problem I have with it is who gets to decide what is racist or not? It is a subjective term and can be manipulated and twisted too easily. Raheem sterling didn't seem to think it was racist. Was he wrong? Is he an apologist for racist behaviour?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭Still Ill

Who got to decide if the 'N' word was racist? Who got to decide if blackface is racist?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭dulux99

Funnily enough, the only people I saw who were offended about the Bernardo Silva thing were white men.

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭tomwaits48

can we move on lads....

• Registered Users Posts: 14,262 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Bernardo doesn't face the public. He competes against fellow professionals, that is his core responsibility. They might tack on some stuff with sponsors and fans etc but he is hardly in a client relations role.

Between Instagram and twitter he has 2.5m followers. He faces the public. It was a stupid thing for him to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭applehunter

This is just more liberal left astroturfing.

Nobody cares.

Wasn't there a chant about some black player having a large penis or something and the same people were moaning.

The gentrification of football.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 24,315 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Freedom roundabout :)

This is just more liberal left astroturfing.

Nobody cares.

Wasn't there a chant about some black player having a large penis or something and the same people were moaning.

The gentrification of football.:rolleyes:

Astroturfing, never heard of it, is it some American sh!te lingo ?

It was about Lukaku and he asked them to stop. Maybe he should have not moaned about it ?

https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/premier-league/romelu-lukaku-chant-song-manchester-united-latest-asks-fan-stop-signing-a7965496.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,315 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

jaykay74 wrote: »
    Astroturfing, never heard of it, is it some American sh!te lingo ?

It was about Lukaku and he asked them to stop. Maybe he should have not moaned about it ?

https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/premier-league/romelu-lukaku-chant-song-manchester-united-latest-asks-fan-stop-signing-a7965496.html

The use of such Americanisms gives me a severe pain behind me eyes.

It's hard to demonstrate how individual and free thinking you are when you are simply lifting and reusing such terms at every opportunity...

There's a tragic irony about mimicking others while thinking you're an enlightened free spirit.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement