Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Second Captains

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,068 ✭✭✭yermandan

Anyways, Richie's interview about his book blew me away. I can't wait to read it while eating dumplings the size of pears

Still Ill wrote: »
    Who got to decide if the 'N' word was racist? Who got to decide if blackface is racist?

Again my main disagreement with Ken is his opinion that it should be just accepted as racism and an immediate apology issued, when it is not actually racist.

Ken mentioned that is not the intent of Bernard Silva that matters, rather the exact action that he took. Which is ridiculous, since a black player doing the same thing to Mendy would not be accused of racism.

I defer to Raheem Sterling and Mendy's opinions on whether it is racist.

And I really admire Pep for having the guts and intelligence to defend his player rather than simply doing the easy thing and raising the white flag unquestioningly and kowtowing to this nonsense.

(Maybe white flag is the wrong term but you get my point).

I do love Ken' s work but I wouldn't necessarily agree with his view on this.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭jones

"I wouldn't necessarily agree with anything Ken Early says"

• Registered Users Posts: 34,499 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

"He thinks I'm a twat, basically"

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

jones wrote: »
    "I wouldn't necessarily agree with anything Ken Early says"

You've picked up on the reference. Fair play to ya (said in John delaney's voice)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭tomwaits48

Really enjoyed Monday’s pod because I think Ken was either drunk or hungover and on a massive rant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭terrydel

Still Ill wrote: »
    Who got to decide if the 'N' word was racist? Who got to decide if blackface is racist?

Not white people anyway.
    The person on the receiving end should be the person who makes the call.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭Beersmith

terrydel wrote: »
    Not white people anyway.
    The person on the receiving end should be the person who makes the call.

Any job I've been in then the respect policies refer to the fact the offended party doesn't have to be the person that a comment was aimed at. It is standard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭terrydel

Beersmith wrote: »
    Any job I've been in then the respect policies refer to the fact the offended party doesn't have to be the person that a comment was aimed at. It is standard.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=63M34s8afbo

I personally dont take my moral compass from the corporate world.
    If the remark is aimed at a specific person in a specific context, defined by the two people involved, then they set the rules for me.

terrydel wrote: »
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=63M34s8afbo

I personally dont take my moral compass from the corporate world.
    If the remark is aimed at a specific person in a specific context, defined by the two people involved, then they set the rules for me.

Im not saying anyone should take their moral compass from then but it is standard with companies. Man city being one such company

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,262 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

15 minutes about how much Denmark hate us was brilliant. We're like a cockroach to then. I hope we beat them with a shít display like the Georgia game and get a double deflection that goes between Schmeichels legs

• Registered Users Posts: 14,394 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

tomwaits48 wrote: »
    Really enjoyed Monday’s pod because I think Ken was either drunk or hungover and on a massive rant.

He seemed ranty enough alright, he was so narky about Mick's comment to a journalist, would not stop mentioning it.

Though I think he went OTT on the Aaron Connolly talk. I get it, he thinks he should play, but Ken can sometimes just keep talking and talking about one subject if it takes his fancy.

I thought David Sneyd on Friday was a good foil for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,212 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

it is good to hear Ken passionate about football again

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,478 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

The irish gate crashing Denmark's BBQ was a very funny analogy.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,315 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

humberklog wrote: »
    The irish gate crashing Denmark's BBQ was a very funny analogy.

"You goin late!?"

:)

Ken walking into the door was the travel tale we were all waiting for.

US Murph has been boring the arse off me now for a few years, so when I heard him today going on about the fcking 49er's again I thought, I might have to skip this.

But, I'm glad I didn't because that conversation about the fate of Sports Illustrated was pretty good. Fairly certain Eoin was a mid-century American sports reporter in a previous life - anything to do with quality sports writing and he really gets passionate, which is always interesting. And I shared the sadness about the end of an era.

I think the murph SI was abit much, that sort of media has been dead a long time.

Ken into a door was great, especially the description of the gasping laughter still going on as he sat and ate his meal outside.

Love that he talks about something very culturally important but it ends with him doing something hilarious. Bill Bryson like!

We need a Ken travel pod.

I know it was a personal holiday but we really missed kens travel stories from Australia!

Think I would have turned around and went home hungry

I had to laugh out loud when, just before interviewing David Epstein, Eoin was giving an update on upcoming pods and dropped in that Ken had landed in Geneva and "has just tweeted about two wasps eating a slice of ham"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,116 ✭✭✭Trent Houseboat

Cienciano wrote: »
    Think I would have turned around and went home hungry

I had actually assumed that's what he had done until he mentioned people laughing at him while he bought and waited for his food. Life must be difficult for a clumsy diabetic.

With regard to US Murph's slot, there are few things in the world sports journos like talking about more that the importance of sports journalism. He laid it on pretty thick and syrupy but superlatives are a mainstay of the American broadcaster.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭Robert McGrath

Anyone notice the bit in the interview about the 2 hour marathon when Eoin referred to “this generation of runners” meaning the things on your feet made by Nike and his American guest’s answer made it clear he meant “this generation of runners” as the people running marathons.

Two countries separated by the same language ...

• Registered Users Posts: 24,315 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Eoin 'irrational positivity' Reddan on again

Shane Horgan moments after Eoin's opening spiel straight up says it's probably because he's too close to the current players.

Yeah no ****

lawred2 wrote: »
    Eoin 'irrational positivity' Reddan on again

Shane Horgan moments after Eoin's opening spiel straight up says it's probably because he's too close to the current players.

Yeah no ****

I find myself skipping Shane Horgan at this stage. I prefer Matt Williams. Shane just doesn't stop talking

• Registered Users Posts: 13,331 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

I don't know how the lads didn't burst out laughing when Reddan said 'immortality' at the start of the conversation

Eoin Reddan is a dose.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,962 ✭✭✭boccy23

Murph went full fan mode in his rant about the Galway County Board Chairman.

Thought he left Joe out on a limb in a really awkward position.

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Raisins

boccy23 wrote: »
    Murph went full fan mode in his rant about the Galway County Board Chairman.

Thought he left Joe out on a limb in a really awkward position.

Not really. Joe set up that interview to talk about the county board. It was obvious Murph was just saying what he knew joe couldn’t say.

Arghus wrote: »
    Eoin Reddan is a dose.

I also had to skip Jamie Heaslip. I think it's just Leinster Rugby players are horrible to listen to. They just sound like they wouldn't be out of place in an office meeting doing a powerpoint presentation that's just pie charts of monthly quotas or something. I don't know what it is, think it's the buzzwords they use or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

Cienciano wrote: »
    I also had to skip Jamie Heaslip. I think it's just Leinster Rugby players are horrible to listen to. They just sound like they wouldn't be out of place in an office meeting doing a powerpoint presentation that's just pie charts of monthly quotas or something. I don't know what it is, think it's the buzzwords they use or something.

They are awful for the corporate speak, but I did actually enjoy the Heaslip interview. The lads asked some interesting questions of him, rather than just blowing smoke up posterior. I've taken some good learnings from the interview.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,169 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

I'd love to hear what Canning has to say off the record about the situation.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement