Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Second Captains

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 359 ✭✭NeonWolf

Irish rugby pundits and ex player’s talk some amount of ****e. Moreso than any other nation to my ear anyway. Sycophantic nonsense , corporate jargon and cliched intangibles such as passion and spirit.

No robust analysis of rugby playing at all. nothing technical about how either team will win.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,150 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

They do exist but like other sports there's a fair few who don't, or can't, say much of note.

Andy Dunne and ROG are very good.
    Murray Kinsella loves getting technical, he just loves breaking down a play.
    Shane Horgan, Gordon D'arcy, and Shane Jennings are good from the bits i've seen or heard from them.

There's a fair few who I just pay no attention to. Great players and all but it's a different story being on TV or radio and having to talk about the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,438 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

I’m still subbed to some NZ based pods and I still listen to NZ media in general. They’re so in depth with their coverage of Irish players, being very afraid of stockdale, Earls etc.

All the Irish media is “passion” “Guile” “lets take it to them” etc.

It’s not just SC guilty of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,396 ✭✭✭cmac2009

Arghus wrote: »
    Eoin Reddan is a dose.

Will he be on the pod on Monday, I certainly hope so.

• Registered Users Posts: 965 ✭✭✭radharc

They are awful for the corporate speak, but I did actually enjoy the Heaslip interview. The lads asked some interesting questions of him, rather than just blowing smoke up posterior. I've taken some good learnings from the interview.

I thought the lads were very soft on the doping questions. Though Heaslip’s answers were laughable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 917 ✭✭✭Raoul Duke

radharc wrote: »
    I thought the lads were very soft on the doping questions. Though Heaslip’s answers were laughable.

What did you want them to ask him?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭dulux99

Why is Heaslip on the anti doping board if he thinks he never even played against someone who was doping? Seems like a weird thing to get involved in, if you think it's a totally non issue

Lets see what they all have to say now . I cannot ****ing wait.

its one big cheerleader circle jerk. Golden goose and all that.

• Registered Users Posts: 917 ✭✭✭Raoul Duke

NeonWolf wrote: »
    its one big cheerleader circle jerk. Golden goose and all that.

The Second Captains are in this "circle" are they? Don't think that they've got any golden eggs from... what exactly? Irish rugby's successful years? The Joe Schmidt era?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,169 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

To be fair, Shane Horgan was fairly downcast about Ireland's chances, that New Zealand fella was most optimistic about our chances, but he was probably just plámásing us.

I know it's a noisy minority but the glee about this is a bit odd.

• Registered Users Posts: 965 ✭✭✭radharc

Raoul Duke wrote: »

If Heaslip had said something along the lines of we need to be vigilant, it’s obviously a concern etc it’s fine to not go down the rabbit hole but when he said he feels he has never played against anybody using PEDs in his career he lost all credibility and should have been challenged.

How about asking what he made of Alan Quinlan’s recent comments, what he thinks of Paul Kimmage’s repeated criticisms or why the hell he sits on the anti doping board of World Rugby if he feels there hasn’t been a professional player who has doped in the past decade.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,315 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Heaslip is a joke of a pundit full stop.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭corwill

Raoul Duke wrote: »

I personally thought the interview was pretty good in the circumstances, but I'd love to hear the answers Kimmage's questions about the 'false positive' re testosterone in time - https://www.independent.ie/sport/rugby/paul-kimmage-a-letter-the-churchill-cup-and-jamie-heaslip-the-curious-case-of-the-positive-test-38613291.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,396 ✭✭✭cmac2009

lawred2 wrote: »
    Heaslip is a joke of a pundit full stop.

Paul Kimmage is on his case after the drugs incident from his book, which he mentioned on the pod. Peculiar that he hasn't responded to his questions in order to clarify what happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭tomwaits48

Is it me or is it because Simon is clearly passionate about rugby, those guests get a free pass?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭corwill

tomwaits48 wrote: »
    Is it me or is it because Simon is clearly passionate about rugby, those guests get a free pass?

It can be frustrating, but the reality is that if they do a Paxman on guests, guests will stop turning up. They're not the BBC. Even RTE have been subjected to media bans, official and tacit, by different county GAA setups down the years. The IRFU have become very controlling on messaging and media access in recent years. Irish sports personalities and slebs in general are pretty thin skinned.

The best the lads can do, I expect, is conduct an interview in such away that the interviewee says enough that an attentive listener might prick up their ears off their own bat. It shouldn't be like that, but such is the way of the world.

corwill wrote: »
    It can be frustrating, but the reality is that if they do a Paxman on guests, guests will stop turning up. They're not the BBC. Even RTE have been subjected to media bans, official and tacit, by different county GAA setups down the years. The IRFU have become very controlling on messaging and media access in recent years. Irish sports personalities and slebs in general are pretty thin skinned.

The best the lads can do, I expect, is conduct an interview in such away that the interviewee says enough that an attentive listener might prick up their ears off their own bat. It shouldn't be like that, but such is the way of the world.

Yeah fair enough, Shane Horgan is Marks brother as well isn't he. Hard to bite the hand that feeds etc.

No Eoin McDevitt today. :( Shame, on one of the most newsworthy weekends of sport all year

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭Dots1982

dulux99 wrote: »
    No Eoin McDevitt today. :( Shame, on one of the most newsworthy weekends of sport all year

He’ll be on the rugby pod

• Advertisement

Dots1982 wrote: »
    He’ll be on the rugby pod

Ah. Good news

• Registered Users Posts: 14,394 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Seriously, I'd love to know in absolute numbers how many people actually listened to all of that GAA chat today.

The conversation was so boring that it nearly became interesting.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,169 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

I found it way more interesting than most English journalists going on about Man City/Tottenham or whatever, but then I don't really care about the Premier League.

F*cking Pbeseo

*sigh*

• Registered Users Posts: 14,394 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

I'll agree with you there, Pbeso absolutely suck.

Murph was very Murphish today while reading it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,212 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

Isn’t the GAA season over ??? Why are they still talking about it ? Especially during champions league week and a rugby World Cup !!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,658 ✭✭✭elefant

I was delighted to get a GAA slot instead of yet another discussion on the rugby world cup and Ireland's 'one off runners', which feels like it has been going on for months now.

I like rugby, and I'm still completely weary of it at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭The Davestator

elefant wrote: »
    I was delighted to get a GAA slot instead of yet another discussion on the rugby world cup and Ireland's 'one off runners', which feels like it has been going on for months now.

I like rugby, and I'm still completely weary of it at this stage.

Is it not One Out runners?
    Either way, I agree. So much nonsense

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

Has anyone worked out yet what Eoin Reddan was going on about the other day?

I don't think he knows himself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,315 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

He's such a drone

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement