Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Second Captains

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,020 ✭✭✭jones

I actually think he (MD) knows what he's talking about but its his stuttery slightly aloof manner that turns people off. I don't actually mind him that much but he can go on a bit

• Registered Users Posts: 8,900 ✭✭✭Eire-Dearg

He's Ewan MacKenna-ified his image with his Twitter nonsense and that scars his work, for me. There's so many journalists that are doing good work and have a more premium reputation because they don't muddy their boots in petty Twitter over and backs and have to tweet 24/7 for the sake of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭Still Ill

Give me Miguel Delaney over Marcotti any day of the week. Insufferable!

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭Battery Kinzie

Still Ill wrote: »
    Give me Miguel Delaney over Marcotti any day of the week. Insufferable!

Him talking about VAR was him at his worst. Condescending and completely dismissive of any alternative view.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭Dots1982

Him talking about VAR was him at his worst. Condescending and completely dismissive of any alternative view.

He said simply if you don’t like the offside rule then suggest alternatives. That’s the best way to treat the issue.

Think Marcotti is fine as long as he doesn’t try to be funny.

He was thrown a very odd curveball by Ken with linking Chelsea’s new fangled promote from within policy to Britain’s ability to rely on their resources to grow their own tobacco and something else. A very very odd and pointless tangent from Ken. He also shutdown Ken’s straining to put out the idea that Chelsea fans are deluded for supporting Lampard after mixed results. They outperformed a Liverpool team that is on roll of 15 wins. It would be extremely odd if Chelsea fans or any fans turned on a very young team after a performance like that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

Mad dog Marcotti !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,375 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Marcotti is terrible, his attitude stinks and I've never heard a journalist so completely lacking in a sense of humour - they've had him on a few live shows and his attempts at "jokes" were car-crash stuff. I can't listen to him for longer than two minutes without wanting to power wash my ear canals - and that's even if he's right.

Miguel Delaney is as sound as a pound compared to him, though that isn't saying much.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,594 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Arghus wrote: »
    Marcotti is terrible, his attitude stinks and I've never heard a journalist so completely lacking in a sense of humour - they've had him on a few live shows and his attempts at "jokes" were car-crash stuff. I can't listen to him for longer than two minutes without wanting to power wash my ear canals - and that's even if he's right.

Miguel Delaney is as sound as a pound compared to him, though that isn't saying much.

It makes me so sad that Marcotti is on James Richardson's Golazzo show. So sad.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

Ol' Donie wrote: »

Agreed. If it was just Jimbo and Horncastle it would be great.

Ol' Donie wrote: »

You just know if you ever had lunch with Marcotti he'd be the type to liberally spray you with tiny bits of spit and half chewed food as he bellowed at you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭Beersmith

Marcotti correcting the lads about him being a SENIOR writer summed him i think.

Horncastle is probably my favourite journalist to listen to. Wish they got him on instead

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭dulux99

Remember those ads where the guy stood up and said "I don't know what a tracker mortgage is!"

Well I feel like saying that whenever Shane Horgan talks about "one out runners". I officially don't know what a one out runner is. He rarely goes an episode without talking about them :(

• Registered Users Posts: 14,248 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

dulux99 wrote: »
    Remember those ads where the guy stood up and said "I don't know what a tracker mortgage is!"

Well I feel like saying that whenever Shane Horgan talks about "one out runners". I officially don't know what a one out runner is. He rarely goes an episode without talking about them :(

The rugby world and the corporate bullshít world have to much overlap.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,594 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

In rugby discussions, anything in the singular means one big bloke trying to run past the other big blokes.

Anything plural means several big blokes trying to trundle past several other big blokes.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

That Breffni sting :pac:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

as Donie says it's when the scrum half passes the ball to one player who when he gets it it's obvious he's just going to run straight at the opposition.

the opposite is say when the scrum half passes to a player running at the opposition who has a player inside and outside him who he might pass to. it's not obvious what the player is going to do so the opposition defence has to mark the other players too.

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭Robert McGrath

Was it just me or did Horgan basically say that South Africa take performance enhancing drugs?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,331 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Was it just me or did Horgan basically say that South Africa take performance enhancing drugs?

Yeah pretty much

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭Robert McGrath

Yeah pretty much

We’ve all heard the rumours and gossip, but it’s unusual to hear a pundit say it

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,100 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

IS NOBODY LISTENING TO GRETA???

Ken's description of the FIFA awards was hilarious.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,576 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

Steroid Africa

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭tomwaits48

What’s the backstory to the breffni / carnage story lads? Just a fan interview was it?

• Registered Users Posts: 928 ✭✭✭Salvation Tambourine

tomwaits48 wrote: »
    What’s the backstory to the breffni / carnage story lads? Just a fan interview was it?

https://extra.ie/2019/09/17/sport/rugby/absolute-carnage-beffni-ryan

Yeah it was a lad interviewed before the World Cup started.

Nokotan wrote: »
    https://extra.ie/2019/09/17/sport/rugby/absolute-carnage-beffni-ryan

Yeah it was a lad interviewed before the World Cup started.

I was watching the news at the time when he was on for those few seconds: absolutely lost it at his description of "carnage".

Then it turns up on in an audio bed a few days later. Ah, yes, I thought: that's what I give the boys a fiver a month for. I also thought about how dry the Off The Ball guys are as well.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,100 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

That fella even looks like someone from a Ross O'Carroll Kelly book.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Seamy Fitz

IS NOBODY LISTENING TO GRETA???

Ken's description of the FIFA awards was hilarious.

The Rory Smith article on football in Greenland..... "like that bag of salad in the fridge you will eat later".

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Seamy Fitz

A friend said of Brefni "I'd say his parents gave him a bag of money and told him to f*ck over to Japan with himself.....couldn't be listening to that..."

• Registered Users Posts: 16,108 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Absolute Cornage surely has to be the title of the next ROCK opus...

Absolute Cornage surely has to be the title of the next ROCK opus...

Flogging A Dead Horse has a better ring to it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,839 ✭✭✭deisedude

Flogging A Dead Horse has a better ring to it.

Each book is a number 1 bestseller. Some dead horse that is

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement