Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Second Captains

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,703 ✭✭✭Raoul

Ken has been in fantastic form this week. The salad bag, and the stories about his family were very good

• Registered Users Posts: 14,377 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

deisedude wrote: »
    Each book is a number 1 bestseller. Some dead horse that is

Eighteen, sorry, nineteen books of a one joke character - he's a South Dublin posh-boy who speaks funny - gets pretty stale. Fair play to him for making an industry out of it.

The new one was out there a fortnight ago - an ideal present for fathers and brothers that you can't think of anything else to get, especially coming up to Christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,842 ✭✭✭deisedude

Arghus wrote: »
    Eighteen, sorry, nineteen books of a one joke character - he's a South Dublin posh-boy who speaks funny - gets pretty stale. Fair play to him for making an industry out of it.

The new one was out there a fortnight ago - an ideal present for fathers and brothers that you can't think of anything else to get, especially coming up to Christmas.

Each to their own but its your incorrect use of the saying " To flog a dead horse" I had more issue with

Sorry I know this has gone way off topic

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 359 ✭✭NeonWolf

Eire-Dearg wrote: »
    He's Ewan MacKenna-ified his image with his Twitter nonsense and that scars his work, for me. There's so many journalists that are doing good work and have a more premium reputation because they don't muddy their boots in petty Twitter over and backs and have to tweet 24/7 for the sake of it.

Himself and MacKenna are best mates . Going back to the tribune days.

Cienciano wrote: »
    The rugby world and the corporate bullshít world have to much overlap.

“Learnings” and defensive “reads”. They talk so much bull****.

They were on about Jack Carty’s lateral cortex brain score yesterday . Give me a ****ing break.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

NeonWolf wrote: »
    Cienciano wrote: »
    The rugby world and the corporate bullshít world have to much overlap.

“Learnings” and defensive “reads”. They talk so much bull****.

They were on about Jack Carty’s lateral cortex brain score yesterday . Give me a ****ing break.

That was ****ing ridiculous. "There's a good piece about his latest cortex by Murray Kinsella." Get ta f*ck, Murray.

That was ****ing ridiculous. "There's a good piece about his latest cortex by Murray Kinsella." Get ta f*ck, Murray.

Murray Kinsella . Another one eyed sycophant

• Registered Users Posts: 8,900 ✭✭✭Eire-Dearg

Murray Kinsella . Another one eyed sycophant
    I actually like Murray. He knows his rugby. I'd say SC/Newstalk are sickened he's not freelancing because he'd fit right in.

Eire-Dearg wrote: »
    I actually like Murray. He knows his rugby. I'd say SC/Newstalk are sickened he's not freelancing because he'd fit right in.

He epitomises everything that’s wrong with the Irish rugby circuit

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,381 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

He epitomises everything that’s wrong with the Irish rugby circuit

Such as?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭Robert McGrath

Different people like different sports. That’s fine - you can’t criticise something as subjective as that.

But a lot of the above seems to criticise certain analysis of rugby because it’s detailed and complicated. Frankly, it sounds a lot like Michael Gove’s “people have had enough of experts”. Personally, I find it interesting. And it’s fine if you don’t. But it’s not to be dismissed as worthless just because the sport is not to your taste

aloooof wrote: »
    Such as?

The accent. The myopia. The biases. Relentless hyperbole.Pandering to a narrative. Refusal to criticise ones own but waiting in the long grass to crucify players and coaches from abroad. Pseudo intellectualism . Keeping the ABC 1’s at the foremost of every agenda.

They know their audience and serve it very well but it is an absolute pantomime of horse****.

Different people like different sports. That’s fine - you can’t criticise something as subjective as that.

But a lot of the above seems to criticise certain analysis of rugby because it’s detailed and complicated. Frankly, it sounds a lot like Michael Gove’s “people have had enough of experts”. Personally, I find it interesting. And it’s fine if you don’t. But it’s not to be dismissed as worthless just because the sport is not to your taste

I love rugby . My favourite game . But it has been hijacked by a wealthy subset in this country. It doesn’t sit well . Thornley won’t criticise. Neither will Wood Kinsella or O Driscoll to name a few. Neil Francis is commander in chief of the spoof brigade.
    They are all set up with high flying jobs post career in aircraft leasing and financial sector . It’s a boys club and we are the proletariat who they look down on .

The propaganda machine is alarming in its naked transparence. Grobellar got a relatively free pass but they went to town on South Africa this week. The all blacks are “poachers” but Ireland’s own multinational band of brothers gets a free pass. Sure doesn’t bundee sing fields of athenry .

When the Allblacks or South Africa or England have a bad tackle it’s a “ cheap shot” or they went “headhunting”. Devin Toner nearly took a lads head off in the Welsh game . Nada from our one eyed Ministry of PR.

“Ah Devin isn’t that sort of goy” . They don’t seem to extend these concessions to anyone who plays for another team .

Kiwis are labelled as precious by the likes of Ger Gilroy and others despite the Irish team have a kiwi head coach and Greg Feek on the coaching ticket too (another thornleyism) a kiwi centre . A kiwi winger eligible next year. A kiwi scrum half at Leinster who will be eligible if needed. A kiwi outhalf.

Talk about biting the hand that feeds you .

TLDR They have invented their own faux erudite language, a witch hunt culture, a hyperbole culture and a culture of insouciance towards the players from these shores . Wouldn’t want to upset the lads who leak them the team sheets on a Wednesday now would they .

It’s incestuous. It’s a boys club . I can’t ****ing stand it

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Seamy Fitz

I love rugby . My favourite game . But it has been hijacked by a wealthy subset in this country. It doesn’t sit well . Thornley won’t criticise. Neither will Wood Kinsella or O Driscoll to name a few. Neil Francis is commander in chief of the spoof brigade.
    They are all set up with high flying jobs post career in aircraft leasing and financial sector . It’s a boys club and we are the proletariat who they look down on .

The propaganda machine is alarming in its naked transparence. Grobellar got a relatively free pass but they went to town on South Africa this week. The all blacks are “poachers” but Ireland’s own multinational band of brothers gets a free pass. Sure doesn’t bundee sing fields of athenry .

When the Allblacks or South Africa or England have a bad tackle it’s a “ cheap shot” or they went “headhunting”. Devin Toner nearly took a lads head off in the Welsh game . Nada from our one eyed Ministry of PR.

“Ah Devin isn’t that sort of goy” . They don’t seem to extend these concessions to anyone who plays for another team .

Kiwis are labelled as precious by the likes of Ger Gilroy and others despite the Irish team have a kiwi head coach and Greg Feek on the coaching ticket too (another thornleyism) a kiwi centre . A kiwi winger eligible next year. A kiwi scrum half at Leinster who will be eligible if needed. A kiwi outhalf.

TLDR They have invented their own faux erudite language, a witch hunt culture, a hyperbole culture and a culture of insouciance towards the players from these shores . Wouldn’t want to upset the lads who leak them the team sheets on a Wednesday now would they .

But how do you really feel......

I enjoyed the rant though!

That’s a lovely rant but my post was in relation to your criticism of Murray Kinsella. His analysis tends to be extraordinarily detailed and refers to specific video analysis of specific incidents in a game. I can’t see how he deserves to be a target for your rage

That’s a lovely rant but my post was in relation to your criticism of Murray Kinsella. His analysis tends to be extraordinarily detailed and refers to specific video analysis of specific incidents in a game. I can’t see how he deserves to be a target for your rage

hes an irish happy clapper.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,333 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

The accent. The myopia. The biases. Relentless hyperbole.Pandering to a narrative. Refusal to criticise ones own but waiting in the long grass to crucify players and coaches from abroad. Pseudo intellectualism . Keeping the ABC 1’s at the foremost of every agenda.

They know their audience and serve it very well but it is an absolute pantomime of horse****.

To be honest that doesn't sound like Murray Kinsella at all. Seems more like a projection of existing prejudices onto him.

• Registered Users Posts: 916 ✭✭✭Raoul Duke

To be honest that doesn't sound like Murray Kinsella at all. Seems more like a projection of existing prejudices onto him.

Exactly so I reckon. His first criticism of Murray was his accent. Anyone that criticises someone's accent needs to look at themselves.

Raoul Duke wrote: »
    Exactly so I reckon. His first criticism of Murray was his accent. Anyone that criticises someone's accent needs to look at themselves.

he's paying for the sins of others but he has lowered himself to their level. he's woeful.

Don’t feed the troll, lads

• Advertisement

Don’t feed the troll, lads

The last bastion of the beaten debater.

Me not liking them and you liking them can both be valid at the same time . You don’t have a monopoly on truth or the discourse.
    We aren’t debating a scientific fact . We are talking about something subjective .

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,102 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

Panic button?

Lateral cortex my bollox . Let’s see what the media has to say now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭Still Ill

Might give the rugby pod a rare listen on Monday. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,575 ✭✭✭jaykay74

Eoin will surely get to use his crisis buzzer or whatever it was called. Absolute cornage :)

Anyone who doubts any of this only had too watch the RTE post match analysis. Dara prefacing every question with "without being too hard on them".

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭dulux99

Ah christ. Have a look at Miguel Delaney's twitter. He's like a small child in the playground, running around looking to start fights. Yawn

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

RTE used to be very hard on them, George Hook and Tom McGuirk used to always take the negative line on everything and Neil Francis was the one who coined the phrase "Leinster Ladyboys". So there used to be plenty of criticism.

What's changed since then is that Ireland and the provinces have started to do much better. We've gone through the best ever patch for Irish rugby and a patch no one would have believed possible in the 80's and 90's. Ireland won back to back 6Nations and then a Grand Slam in 2018, they've beated NZ twice (a team that used to happily beat us by 40), Leinster are in the top 2 or 3 of club teams in Europe, Munster in the top 6, Connacht won the Pro14 once and now qualify for the European Cup themselves.

It's hard to be too critical when all the above is happening.

Saying that the IRFU and Munster got loads of criticism for signing Groebbler. A guy who failed a drugs test in another country and then served his ban. That's a lot different then an up and coming Irish star failing a test or an Irish international failing a test. giving out about the project player rule is nothing new, there's always been grumblings about it, the problem here of course is that it's perfectly within the rules to sign these players. There's also only 3 of them in the current squad of 31 so it's not like the team is full of them. 2 or 3 per international squad of 31 to 35 is usually the number of them over the last few years.

CatFromHue wrote: »
    RTE used to be very hard on them, George Hook and Tom McGuirk used to always take the negative line on everything and Neil Francis was the one who coined the phrase "Leinster Ladyboys". So there used to be plenty of criticism.

What's changed since then is that Ireland and the provinces have started to do much better. We've gone through the best ever patch for Irish rugby and a patch no one would have believed possible in the 80's and 90's. Ireland won back to back 6Nations and then a Grand Slam in 2018, they've beated NZ twice (a team that used to happily beat us by 40), Leinster are in the top 2 or 3 of club teams in Europe, Munster in the top 6, Connacht won the Pro14 once and now qualify for the European Cup themselves.

It's hard to be too critical when all the above is happening.

Saying that the IRFU and Munster got loads of criticism for signing Groebbler. A guy who failed a drugs test in another country and then served his ban. That's a lot different then an up and coming Irish star failing a test or an Irish international failing a test. giving out about the project player rule is nothing new, there's always been grumblings about it, the problem here of course is that it's perfectly within the rules to sign these players. There's also only 3 of them in the current squad of 31 so it's not like the team is full of them. 2 or 3 per international squad of 31 to 35 is usually the number of them over the last few years.

Hard to be critical? They Are being asked to comment on a particular match that had just taken place. The performance should 100% be open to critical analysis, otherwise there's no point in having a panel or discussion. Tempering what the analysts can say by telling them "don't go too hard" is absolutely unprofessional.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

I'm talking about in general, the general media discussion or treatment of rugby.

I agree the game should be critically analysed, I just think some people prefer the football way of doing things were it's rubbished instead of analysed.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement