Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Second Captains

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,272 ✭✭✭Deedsie

Really enjoying the US Murph segments... The Len Bias discussion was very interesting, I'd not heard about him before.

Lot of hating on Murph... They needed something to increase listeners, appealing to the emigrant Irish this way. It makes sense really, thousands of potential listeners to shove up download numbers. Skip past if you don't like it.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,594 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Lot of love for Murph too.

Show wouldn't be the same without him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 767 ✭✭✭SimonQuinlank

If he keeps his republic of telly type 'comedy' to the normal show I don't have a problem with him, as I generally skip that altogether unless US Murph is on.He shouldn't be cutting into Early's time on the football show though, imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 907 ✭✭✭foxtrot101

No real Murph hating here, I think the football show is better when it's just Ken and Eoin - which is the way it has always been and it should have stayed that way.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

foxtrot101 wrote: »
    No real Murph hating here, I think the football show is better when it's just Ken and Eoin - which is the way it has always been and it should have stayed that way.

Agreed.

I like Murph, but the Football show is Ken's baby. It works best when it's just Ken and Eoin IMO.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,272 ✭✭✭Deedsie

foxtrot101 wrote: »
    wnolan1992 wrote: »
    Agreed.

I like Murph, but the Football show is Ken's baby. It works best when it's just Ken and Eoin IMO.

To be honest I think everyone just went a bit mental over the O'Neill management team announcement. Everyone wanted to get their spake in and with Ken on holidays for part of it, lines were blurred. I am sure normal service will resume from here on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

I don't think there's a greater human being than Shane Curran.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,100 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

Keith Duggan's line was atrocious, I couldn't hear half of what he was saying.

Book show was really enjoyable,despite it featuring Malachy Clerkin.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭Imhof Tank

Book show was really enjoyable,despite it featuring Malachy Clerkin.

As a diehard second captains fan I was a bit worried by a couple of things on the book show:

- they read out an email from someone asking for a US football book recommendation; they featured "Friday Night Lights" about Texas High School football several times on the old OTB citing it as one of the leading sports books of all time - I was shocked when they made no reference to FNL then in reply to the emailer (it was mentioned later by a guest and they were all like "ahhhhh yeah!");

- in the discussion with Malachy Clerkin they all agreed that there hadn't really been a major Irish sports book this year - despite having done major interviews with Dunphy and Sean Og Ohalpin in the past few weeks. They did mention Dunphy's book later in the podcast but not in the initial chat with Clerkin;

Wondering now about the quality/ quantity of backup from their producers. Are the spreading themselves too thin, having to do more research than before possibly? Those sort of omissions were very very rare on the old radio show.

• Advertisement

Having Murph on the Football Show is bad enough, and it is bad, but tonight Eoin went to Murph first...on ken's Football Show...WTF!?!. I am quite certain that of those 20,000+(and however many on itunes/feedburner) who are going to listen to this FS podcast, hardly any will do so to hear Murph's views on Keane v Vieira.

Ken's Newsround/report on sport has always been a lot of peoples favourite part of the radio show. If Murph added something to it then fair enough, but he doesn't - he just dilutes it. I know I'm labouring the point at this stage, but his every utterance on the FS is now annoying me no end.

After Eoin and Murph hogged the limelight so outrageously on the TV show, the least they can do now is give Ken back his Football Show - ffs.

He adds absolutely nothing to it,just smug sounding attempts at trying hard to be funny.Football show should be Eoin and Ken,the formula wasn't broken so why add Murph into the mix.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,936 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

maybe the company or the times thinks he needs to contribute more?

I'm just just quessing of course, but I doubt that's the reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,594 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

That's what I thought too. I'm a big fan of Murph, but the football show was fine. No need to add anything (apart from a daily element...on live radio...around nine o'clock...)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Am I alone in preferring the sports show to the football show?

dulpit wrote: »

Well, more people listen to the football show on soundcloud than the general show and that gap has been growing over time. When the itunes and feedburner figures are added in the difference between the two would be bigger again.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭Ciaran_B

Imhof Tank wrote: »
    As a diehard second captains fan I was a bit worried by a couple of things on the book show:

- they read out an email from someone asking for a US football book recommendation; they featured "Friday Night Lights" about Texas High School football several times on the old OTB citing it as one of the leading sports books of all time - I was shocked when they made no reference to FNL then in reply to the emailer (it was mentioned later by a guest and they were all like "ahhhhh yeah!");

I agree it was a big omission but didn't the listener describe themselves as a newcomer to American Football? So a book about the ins and outs of a high school football team wouldn't be the best jumping on point for a new fan of the sport.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,333 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

I find it depends on the subjects and contributors they have on week to week.

Some days I would prefer the football show and other days the regular show is more interesting. Depending on the subjects and who they have on with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭yohan the great

It seems like the rugby show and the football show now

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭Halloween Jack

I don't think they have enough time to cover stuff properly in the sports show, or at least in any depth.

The pbeso **** could be ****ed off handy enough for a few extra mins...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

I don't think I've heard anything as funny as the description of Keane and Schmeichael fighting over the captaincy of manU last Thursday, with Daniel something who wrote a book about manu

Ken or Eoin: "But Schmeichael is twice the size of Keane?"

Daniel:"Yeah, but only half as mental"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭adamski8

i dont mind a bit of murph but he is really getting in the way of things on the football show. they are talking over each other alot!

adamski8 wrote: »
    i dont mind a bit of murph but he is really getting in the way of things on the football show. they are talking over each other alot!

Yeah, Murph does tend to talk over people alright. Ken, in defending the fact that he seems to be the only one who liked David Peace's new book, was just about to go off on one of his famous tangents.

"...it's like Matthew Arnold, you know..."

when Murph cuts straight across him

"A contrarian Ken, that's what you are"

Killing the thing stone dead. He just doesn't get what the Football Show is about. He shouldn't be there.

For anyone who was wondering, apparently Arnold was an 19th century poet and literary critic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 157 ✭✭uggybear

Think Eoin talks too fast ,I end up slowing it down to catch up to what he and Ken are saying because they change the conversation too quickly without warning the listeners! I mean, one minute on the football show they might be talking about Thiago Alcantara's contract at Bayern Munich the next about Sergio Busquets being at Barcelona for a long time but still only 25 (this was a few months back) still have to catch up with the shows starting from September :mad:

After about 6 years of never missing a Football show I have just given up on it. Murph was more stridently annoying then ever today, it was unbearable. It's now a very different thing now than what it was. It's a shame really, ah well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 157 ✭✭uggybear

Tweet from Second Captains twitter account
    @SecondCaptains: Plus we suspended @saveciaranmurph (Murph) from todays shows after a misdemeanor on Tues.
    update: they have since deleted the tweet

• Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

uggybear wrote: »
    Tweet from Second Captains twitter account
    update: they have since deleted the tweet

They mentioned it in the show, said it was due to "crimes to French".

Assuming he simply had the day off, and they made a thing of it...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭Swan Curry

The misdemeanor was his awful French.I would agree that Murph shouldn't be on the football show.That show is Ken's baby,and I don't think he reaches his heights (the Barcelona ant analogy) when Murph is there.

I have to say,when they started bringing Richie Sadlier on regularly I had a lot of doubts about him,but I'm delighted I'm wrong.I don't think they've ever done a bad segment with him.He's articulate,honest,and entertaining.

Anyway,here's to hoping this year goes well for the lads and that maybe they make their return to the radio waves.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,023 ✭✭✭applehunter

I much prefer the dynamic of Kenny Cunningham with Ken & Eoin.

Although I think Sadlier is very forthright in his opinions I don't think it translates well on the radio sometimes as he can come across as "fake"

As for Dion Fanning.......:rolleyes:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement