Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gerry Adams on RTE PrimeTime--29-05-13

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

As a northern Protestant Im not a fellow traveler of the Provos.

However they were more a legitimate army than either the Free State one or especially that of the UK state.

You're saying that the PIRA were a more legitimate army than the Irish army of the British army! You are not related to that other Protestant/Unionist poster Bertie Woot by any chance are you?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭Busted Flat.

Does anyone know anything about the war that took place, that are posting on here. Just to make the point, would posters put up their date of birth, so people can understand their opinions.

I was born in the 60s and I have lived & worked in south Dublin for much of my life.

LordSutch wrote: »
    I was born in the 60s and I have lived & worked in south Dublin for much of my life.

You were a child then when the war broke out, now I understand your views. Independent, and the Times, would have been the papers your parents would have read, a mine of unbiased information.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,250 ✭✭✭✭Iwasfrozen

Does anyone know anything about the war that took place, that are posting on here. Just to make the point, would posters put up their date of birth, so people can understand their opinions.
    You're right busted. Ian Paisely is older then you. You should bow to his greater knowledge.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭Crooked Jack

Okay so what you are basically saying is that you have no interest in reaching out to northern Protestants such as myself who support Republican goals- what is the Unionist outreach nonsense about than????

what? how on earth did you get that from me condemning Kingsmill?

Iwasfrozen wrote: »
    You're right busted. Ian Paisely is older then you. You should bow to his greater knowledge.

Maybe I am a bit slow.
    Could you improve on your post, so I can understand your meaning,it could be something to do with age.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Maybe I am a bit slow.
    Could you improve on your post, so I can understand your meaning,it could be something to do with age.

His age is irrelevant to his position on the armed struggle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

How can you tell his age from that post?

Maybe I am a bit slow.
    I'm sorry my dear fellow it's just my cataracts playing up again. And it's not easy writing with my decrepit arthritis riddled fingers. You'll understand when you're my age.

• Advertisement

SamHall wrote: »
    How can you tell his age from that post?
    I can smell it.

I'm sorry my dear fellow it's just my cataracts playing up again. And it's not easy writing with my decrepit arthritis riddled fingers. You'll understand when you're my age.

You didn't need to describe your medical condition, your posts have already explained your opinions.

You didn't need to describe your medical condition, your posts have already explained your opinions.
    My opinions that have nothing to do with age.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,096 ✭✭✭SoulandForm

what? how on earth did you get that from me condemning Kingsmill?

Of course the Provos carried out Kingsmill and no one punished for it- you cant admit though.

The sectarian element of the Provisional movement is supporting the guess what basically sectarian GFA- the actually Republican element of the Provisional movement has long left it in the north.

I was born in the late 80s and my dad was killed in the troubles by the PIRA. When I go home its to sectarian hell hole still. Why do you want to keep it that way?

You were a child then when the war broke out, now I understand your views. Independent, and the Times, would have been the papers your parents would have read, a mine of unbiased information.

The War (common parlance) finished in 1945.

True, the Northern Ireland "Troubles" broke out when I was a nipper, but at least I was born back then and grew up as it happened, unlike
    some posters on here who seem to be barely out of college, yet claim to be experts on a subject which ended before they were born!

You're saying that the PIRA were a more legitimate army than the Irish army of the British army! You are not related to that other Protestant/Unionist poster Bertie Woot by any chance are you?

Bertie is a Protestant but a nationalist of a soft kind. Im a northern Protestant but a Republican. I dont care about British soldiers getting killed. I hate the Royal Family. I hate what the British state is doing my country- I want it out.

The War (common parlance) finished in 1945.

True, the Northern Ireland "Troubles" broke out when I was a nipper, but at least I was born back then and grew up as it happened, unlike
    some posters on here who seem to be barely out of college, yet claim to be experts on a subject which ended before they were born!

You have a major problem with history.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=British+involvement+in+wars+after+1945&source=web&cd=10&cad=rja&ved=0CGgQFjAJ&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.spiritofremembrance.com%2Fpage%2Fpost-1945-the-history-of&ei=3kCEUaPMCZCHhQfysoGgBg&usg=AFQjCNEw9k4CMyr6tSHcbQwRmvYYKlvwqQ

1945 onwards
    This Green and Pleasant Land

1945 - 1948
    Sunset on the Raj

1945 - 1948
    Exodus & Outrage

1948 - 1960
    The Virgin Soldiers

1949 - 1989
    The Cold War

1950 - 1957
    A Police Action ?
    Including Armistice period.

1951 - 1954
    The Suppressed Story

1952 - 1960
    Hunting The Mau Mau

1955 - 1959
    Nicosia's Murder Mile

1955 - 1967
    The Barren Rocks of Aden

1955 - 1967
    Into The Hills

Assault The Canal

1962 - 1966
    The War Against Sukarno

1962 - 1975
    The Odd Angry Shot

1969-
    The "Troubles"

1969 - 1976
    The Desert Song

Honour Regained

The Desert Rats Return

A Frustrating Mission

Back to the Balkans

Death and Diamonds

2001-
    The War on Terror

2003-
    Return to the Gulf

1945 - 2005
    Riots, Rebellions, Gunboats and Peace Keepers

1945 - 2002
    Post War SAS Operations
    Source: http://www.britains-smallwars.com

• Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭Hannibal

Aye Martin Mc Guinness who said those who kill British soldiers in Ireland are trairors to the island of Ireland now that the Catholic middle class get all the blessings the Prod one used to have under the same colonial situation- that Martin McGuinness? The one who left the army in 73?

Butter wouldnt melt in his mouth.
    the situation that existed for most of the troubles gave rise to the IRA and made legitimate targets of all state forces no doubt about that. The IRA did kill British soldiers no doubt that. The difference is that time elapsed and now there is a clear political path hence why the IRA went into a ceasefire and then when the time was right they stood down and decommissioned.
    McGuinness was right when he said that because the people of all Ireland voted for the GFA, normality has been reached in Ireland for the first time in a long long time and there's now nationalists in government in the north. The so called dissidents are not republicans, I've seen them first hand and there's no politics behind their motives. They see the troubles as the good old days and for some reason they want to return to that period in Irish history hence the betrayal.
    At the dissidents heart there is people who believe themselves to be hardcore republicans, their obsessed about being anti Sinn Fein to the point where they would be better off and more suited to being in the DUP. There's others who are professional extortioners and make a handsome living for themselves out of the profits. Then the final group are these muscle bound guys pumped up on steroids because it's all about vanity to them, it's pretty much the same as the likes of Johnny Adair and several well known Dublin drug dealers.

Bertie is a Protestant but a nationalist of a soft kind. Im a northern Protestant but a Republican. I dont care about British soldiers getting killed. I hate the Royal Family. I hate what the British state is doing my country- I want it out.

Yes indeed, that says it all really, what a mess.

Goodnight.

• Advertisement

You have a major problem with history.

Lets be realistic- LordSutch believes the random murder of people in the north who were RC is fine- the British Army was firmly behind it and it was extremely to what the BA did in other countries. If Im wrong LordSutch state clearly that the British Army are scum.

Dotsey wrote: »
    the situation that existed for most of the troubles gave rise to the IRA and made legitimate targets of all state forces no doubt about that. The IRA did kill British soldiers no doubt that. The difference is that time elapsed and now there is a clear political path hence why the IRA went into a ceasefire and then when the time was right they stood down and decommissioned.
    McGuinness was right when he said that because the people of all Ireland voted for the GFA, normality has been reached in Ireland for the first time in a long long time and there's now nationalists in government in the north. The so called dissidents are not republicans, I've seen them first hand and there's no politics behind their motives. They see the troubles as the good old days and for some reason they want to return to that period in Irish history hence the betrayal.
    At the dissidents heart there is people who believe themselves to be hardcore republicans, their obsessed about being anti Sinn Fein to the point where they would be better off and more suited to being in the DUP. There's others who are professional extortioners and make a handsome living for themselves out of the profits. Then the final group are these muscle bound guys pumped up on steroids because it's all about vanity to them, it's pretty much the same as the likes of Johnny Adair and several well known Dublin drug dealers.

Grow up.

The Shinners of today were sectarians who jumped on the Republican cause and now are trying to destroy it.

Grow up.

The Shinners of today were sectarians who jumped on the Republican cause and now are trying to destroy it.

I asked earlier about age groups, I think it is relevant to state your date of birth to understand your point of view. Especially in relation to this thread, and any other thread to do with the war in the occupied counties.

Grow up.

Now wait a second. I'm not exactly a fan of Sinn Fein but by what definition are they trying to destroy the republican movement?! They've come the closet of all parties to achieving your ultimate goal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭Hannibal

Grow up.

The republican cause is still alive at the heart of Sinn Fein, the cause has took many twists and turns but they're not trying to destroy republicanism.

Most people who I know within SF and previously the IRA joined up because of their hatred of secterianism and inequality, it was British and Unionist secterians that drove this island to war and kept refueling it. The old British tactic of divide and conquer

I asked earlier about age groups, I think it is relevant to state your date of birth to understand your point of view. Especially in relation to this thread, and any other thread to do with the war in the occupied counties.

I was born in 88 in Antrim.

The republican cause is still alive at the heart of Sinn Fein, the cause has took many twists and turns but they're not trying to destroy republicanism.

Most people who I know within SF and previously the IRA joined up because of their hatred of secterianism and inequality, it was British and Unionist secterians that drove this island to war and kept refueling it. The old British tactic of divide and conquer

Why did Marty than attack old leadership so viciously for the ceasefire in the mid 70s and go on about the war never never ending until national liberation?

Now wait a second. I'm not exactly a fan of Sinn Fein but by what definition are they trying to destroy the republican movement?! They've come the closet of all parties to achieving your ultimate goal.

Sinn Fein that encourage foreign investment? Sinn Fein that are sort of okay about the EU? Sinn Fein that discouraged protests against the British Queen in Dublin? Sinn Fein that have the blood of at least four of the hungers strikers on their hands? Sinn Fein that are in coalition with the semi-fascist DUP adminstrating Troy cuts in the six counties? That Sinn Fein do you mean?

Ah so didnt join the IRA to fight for the Republic and national liberation? They fought for equality with the prods under the old colonial system?

Great lads- pity that Brendan Hughes saw things differently.

And that try to mess around mess around- if they accept the GFA that whats it about, getting equal or getting one over the prods, little better than the fleg protesters.

• Advertisement

Sinn Fein that encourage foreign investment? Sinn Fein that are sort of okay about the EU? Sinn Fein that discouraged protests against the British Queen in Dublin? Sinn Fein that have the blood of at least four of the hungers strikers on their hands? Sinn Fein that are in coalition with the semi-fascist DUP adminstrating Troy cuts in the six counties? That Sinn Fein do you mean?
    Yes that Sinn Féin. Christ dude take a chill pill. I love the way you see encouraging FDI as a bad thing btw.

Advertisement