Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kidney appointed!

Options
  • 07-05-2008 11:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭

Sky sports is reporting that Declan Kidney is the new man at the helm of the Irish team.

Hardly a surprise.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭Blured

http://www.breakingnews.ie/sport/?c=rugby&jp=mhgbausnmhcw

No real surprise, wonder how they feel about this in Munster

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭dc69

expected but what a load of **********,stupid decision for Ireland and Munster.

On a side note,the only reason he ist going to coach the tour is because we are gona get such a hammering.Plenty of time

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Obvious choice. He deserves a shot at it for his service but it still does not address the failings of the paymasters themselves. We might get some decent results out of him but will Irish rugby all round be better off in 4 years as a result? Not 100% sure about that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭ozt9vdujny3srf

Whatever you think about his style of coaching, his CV is pretty impressive. I think along with a good backroom staff this could be quite a good appointment.

Michael Bradley to Munster now?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

Blured wrote: »
    Michael Bradley to Munster now?

If it was soley up the IRFU probably, I assume that the Munster Branch will have a big say in it, so who knows.

Personally I hope not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭quagmire69

hope it works out as he does deserve job. Hopefully not eddie lite.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

From one idiot to the next. I now officially don't give a f**k anymore. The IRFU aren't worth the stress.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭Diamondmaker

Not sure how I feel about this. Good on paper but maybe not so in reality.

However one would have to assume that some players were consulted in one way or another and I dont think his leaving Leinster could really be held against him too much ( in a rational mind).

Most players / coaches would have taken a similar opportunity to go home to coach / play for a promising team...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Ginger

Also on the munster site

http://www.munsterrugby.ie/19_8175.php

• Advertisement

Not sure how I feel about this. Good on paper but maybe not so in reality.

However one would have to assume that some players were consulted in one way or another and I dont think his leaving Leinster could really be held against him too much ( in a rational mind).

Most players / coaches would have taken a similar opportunity to go home to coach / play for a promising team...

If thats the case,that munster were a promising team and he felt Leinster werent up for it and ditched them.Doesnt say much for Ireland chances on an international stage!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,330 ✭✭✭✭Amz

Really not sure how I feel about his appointment. For the team's sake I hope he's good. I'll wait and see before making any judgements.

Thats some excuse, he is coaching a game in a week and therefore cannot take the tour in just under 2 months.

Hes been given a holiday as part of his negotiations they were so desperate to give him the job.
    Its a waste of a tour sending them without the incumbent coach, regardless of who it was......a Joke !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

Munster are heading to the Heineken Cup Final...again. Thats all that needs to be said about Declans abilities as a coach.

dc69 wrote: »
    If thats the case,that munster were a promising team and he felt Leinster werent up for it and ditched them.Doesnt say much for Ireland chances on an international stage!

Thats not what I meant...of any 2 promising teams ...its not unfair to pick the team that allows you go home with and to family..

DarkJager wrote: »
    Munster are heading to the Heineken Cup Final...again. Thats all that needs to be said about Declans abilities as a coach.

I dont think many would question that, but more his suitability to coach ireland right now is in question and take us forward.

Of course he is a good coach and any one who says other wise has got to be talking sh1t regardless of allegiences. As has been said look at his record.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Jigsaw

He is clearly a very accomplished coach. I think the best thing to do now is to get behind him and give him as much support as possible and have a bit less of the cranky auld scepticism that is seen all too often round here. If he f**ks up the bring out the riot act but until then give the poor bugger a chance!!!

Jigsaw wrote: »
    If he f**ks up the bring out the riot act but until then give the poor bugger a chance!!!

no!

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,908 ✭✭✭LostinBlanch

Good luck to him, hope he does well.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭Crash

Aye was and guess still am opposed to him being made coach, but decisions made, so all I can do is get behind it I suppose. The appointments of the backroom staff will be of huge interest, to see what kind of setup we'll have going into the autumns.

I would be interested to find out how long his contract is for though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,249 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Jigsaw wrote: »
    I think the best thing to do now is to get behind him and give him as much support as possible and have a bit less of the cranky auld scepticism that is seen all too often round here. If he f**ks up the bring out the riot act but until then give the poor bugger a chance!!!

I have to agree - the decision's made, so hopefully those of us who didn't agree with it will be proven wrong. I think it's going to have to get worse before it gets better though, so hopefully he will get a bit of grace.
    çrash_000 wrote: »
    I would be interested to find out how long his contract is for though.

I think it said up to and including the 2011 RWC

• Registered Users Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭Crash

Yeah it is, just saw that on the breakingnews article.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,410 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

I hope they put some clauses in to kick to touch if he doesn't get results. We don't need another EOS contract fiasco.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭Size=everything

Kidney = EOS minus the backline.

No new ideas. Nothing.

More of the same it would seem.

Very disappointed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭thehighground

dc69 wrote: »

What are you talking about - Kidney went back to Munster to be near his dying mother (who died 6 months later) - nothing to do with how good Leinster were. Leinster did win all their pool HCup games with him coaching, you know! Don't think Munster have ever done that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭thehighground

Thats some excuse, he is coaching a game in a week and therefore cannot take the tour in just under 2 months.

Hes been given a holiday as part of his negotiations they were so desperate to give him the job.
    Its a waste of a tour sending them without the incumbent coach, regardless of who it was......a Joke !

He is presently coaching a team that is playing a European Cup Final 3 days before Ireland are due to play the Baa Baas (which none of the Munster players will be available for).

I'm pretty sure the players concerned would like to know if they are going to NZ/Oz or to the Churchill Cup as well.

Of course, he could just select the Munster team and bring along a few others as spares such as BOD, Shaggy & Luuke, I suppose as he won't be able to have a look at anyone else other than Munster players and Toulouse tabes in the next couple of weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

Good luck to him.

Of course, he could just select the Munster team and bring along a few others as spares such as BOD, Shaggy & Luuke, I suppose as he won't be able to have a look at anyone else other than Munster players and Toulouse tabes in the next couple of weeks.

Are you suggesting that Kidney has no previous knowledge of Irish rugby players not currently playing in Munster? Has he not watched any Leinster/Ulster/Connaught games? Did he not watch the RWC or the Six Nations?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,828 ✭✭✭ven0m

What a sham & a disappointment ... they appoint someone who has no interest in developing Irish back-play & who's first instinct is to go for Kiwi players .......

Kidney is the wrong man for the job - yet again the nitwits in Lansdowne get it arseways ........ they needed someone from outside the IRFU circle to shake things up, & to instill some sense of discpline into our national team, cos christknows they need it!

It is right up there with england appointing Martin johnson in terms of idiocy.

:::: ven0mous ::::

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

davyjose wrote: »
    From one idiot to the next. I now officially don't give a f**k anymore. The IRFU aren't worth the stress.

Declan Kidney is an idiot? :rolleyes:

You are entitled to have reservations about the appointment. But his record at club level speaks for itself and he certainly deserves far better than to be called an idiot by the likes of you.

Advertisement