Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's The longest you have gone without sex

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭Antar Bolaeisk

how????????????????/

I literally don't get out much (by choice, I don't like crowds). I studied engineering in University, a class in which there were no females, and now I work in IT which they seem to avoid.

Don't look at me like I'm some kind of pariah.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Smidge

I literally don't get out much (by choice, I don't like crowds). I studied engineering in University, a class in which there were no females, and now I work in IT which they seem to avoid.

I was curious as 5 years seems like a long time unless there was a reason(ie heartbreak, extra forehead, the clap etc:P)

Are you happy with your status?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,097 ✭✭✭kiffer

I'm currently at a year and a half... which I think is the longest I've gone with out since I became sexually active 18ish years ago...

I've never been good at the casual sex thing... I honestly don't know gow people do it.
    Meet someone, chat them up, go home, and screw... all in one night? Ugh.
    So almost everything has been within relationships.

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭cuana

Not at all! It may be by choice but it may be of interest to you to generate or partake in some social interaction though not easy you just never know:)

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭cuana

kiffer wrote: »
    I'm currently at a year and a half... which I think is the longest I've gone with out since I became sexually active 18ish years ago...

I've never been good at the casual sex thing... I honestly don't know gow people do it.
    Meet someone, chat them up, go home, and screw... all in one night? Ugh.
    So almost everything has been within relationships.

I agree! I've tried and failed, I have to have the connection or chemistry though I'd be more open to a casual basis if both connection/chemistry is there :P I've eh met people of interest primarily on that connection where it may be casual but not on a one night basis as such we tend to meet hook up on a regular basis for awhile! while actually enjoying each others company if I'm making sense!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 761 ✭✭✭youreadthat

It took me 22 years to get some. I've had it only 4 times ever, unfortunately it was all in one weekend last November. Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu

Smidge wrote: »
    I was curious as 5 years seems like a long time unless there was a reason(ie heartbreak, extra forehead, the clap etc:P)

Are you happy with your status?

I guess I'm kinda ambivalent to it, though I wouldn't refuse provided the option was there with the right person.
    cuana wrote: »
    Not at all! It may be by choice but it may be of interest to you to generate or partake in some social interaction though not easy you just never know:)

The only social interaction available around here is going out and getting pissed, something which doesn't appeal to me in the slightest.

I guess I'm kinda ambivalent to it, though I wouldn't refuse provided the option was there with the right person.

Hope you don't mind me asking but how old are you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,558 ✭✭✭seven_eleven

20 something years.

It took me 22 years to get some. I've had it only 4 times ever, unfortunately it was all in one weekend last November. Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu

I've only had it twice ever. :o

• Advertisement

Mid 20s.

Edit: I also own a car and apartment so am mobile and don't live in the basement of my parents' house :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 829 ✭✭✭xLexie

Not every long since my life screws me every day :(

Mid 20s.

Edit: I also own a car and apartment so am mobile and don't live in the basement of my parents' house :p

I wasn't in any way inferring anything like that:)

You must just want a relationship and not just sex!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,718 ✭✭✭seenitall

Karsini wrote: »
    I've only had it twice ever. :o

That's hot. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭johnty56

hmmm.. in answer to ops question... probably about a month.. wondering am i one of those 20% of guys people on here are always blathering about

• Registered Users Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭somefeen

3 months. I managed alright, could do it again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,076 ✭✭✭✭Czarcasm

Antar while I'm not questioning your personal experience, there are scores of women in all engineering disciplines, and as for IT? Have you been walking around with blinkers on or what?

Quite simply put- you're making excuses to fit your own behaviour. You didn't spend all day in university, and you don't surely spend all day in work tied to your desk.

The fact you don't like crowds (welcome to the club btw) is more excusing your own behaviour caused by your own negative attitude.

Nobody's judging you for your voluntary celibacy, but I am judging you for your quite frankly as I see it ridiculous justifications for your behaviour.

Pariah my àrse! Come on, fairness, that's just more offering people the chance to label you because it's a label you've chosen for yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭Pug160

Just a few points I'd like to make here:

Legs Eleven, now that you've clarified that you're talking about women over 30 I can make more sense of what you're saying. Both men and women over a certain age are going to be more cynical and realistic than their younger counterparts. But although I think there is a definite change in attitude in older women, I don't think women in general will ever match men insofar as having the same attitude about no strings sex. A lot of men can have casual sex and enjoy it every bit as much as sex in a relationship. This is something some women still find confusing. Yes there are women having no strings sex, but many men can continue having casual sex long term and be happy. I think women are more likely to go through little phases and then discover that casual sex isn't really that fulfilling. Oxytocin may play a part in some of this, although men apparently release it as well so it's quite difficult to understand how powerful that is.

I have noticed most of you are equating casual sex with one night stands but surely that is the worst type of casual sex? Performance, especially in males is often limited in those situations. I suspect that a lot of women are often disappointed in the quality of the actual sex itself in those encounters, which is probably another contributor to negative mindsets. Casual relationships are far more likely to result in better sex than ONS but in my experience if the sex is very good the woman will want a more serious relationship, although I'll admit that some men may well feel the same when the woman doesn't want more.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,324 ✭✭✭BillyMitchel

6 months by choice, it was shît. I was walking around like a hormonal horny 14 year old spotty teenager. At one stage the lads offered to get me a hooker!

Not by choice, probably around the same when I first became sexually active.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭carzony

At one stage the lads offered to get me a hooker!

A mate booked a trip to amsterdam recently, I might just tag along me thinks, Just for the scenery of course:p:p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,985 ✭✭✭✭dgt

2 weeks, due to a holiday on her part and a course on mine..... Dating a nympho is rather fun :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,448 ✭✭✭✭Cupcake_Crisis

About 15 months, meh, no big deal. I missed the company more than the ride. Could easily do it again.

Czarcasm wrote: »
    Antar while I'm not questioning your personal experience, there are scores of women in all engineering disciplines, and as for IT? Have you been walking around with blinkers on or what?

Quite simply put- you're making excuses to fit your own behaviour. You didn't spend all day in university, and you don't surely spend all day in work tied to your desk.

The fact you don't like crowds (welcome to the club btw) is more excusing your own behaviour caused by your own negative attitude.

Nobody's judging you for your voluntary celibacy, but I am judging you for your quite frankly as I see it ridiculous justifications for your behaviour.

Pariah my àrse! Come on, fairness, that's just more offering people the chance to label you because it's a label you've chosen for yourself.

I've heard that rumour too but in the two courses I attended there was only one specimen, she was much older and pregnant. There were maybe thirty or so people in each class. The company I work for is an all male environment. Obviously I'm not implying that females aren't able to do this work, they're equally capable of it, just that the courses I studied attracted less of them, the years above and below were equally barren.

I don't see the point of partaking in something I don't enjoy and actively makes me uncomfortable. It's not like I don't get out, I often go to instrumental performances, though not as often as I'd like to due to the distances involved, and regularly go jogging.

The pariah remark was a tongue firmly in cheek response to the many question marks by King Size Mars Bar, I don't view myself that way nor do I believe others do. I didn't make that post as a woe is me statement and heavily debated with myself before posting at all. My morbid curiosity won out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,987 ✭✭✭Legs.Eleven

Pug160 wrote: »
    Just a few points I'd like to make here:

Legs Eleven, now that you've clarified that you're talking about women over 30 I can make more sense of what you're saying. Both men and women over a certain age are going to be more cynical and realistic than their younger counterparts. But although I think there is a definite change in attitude in older women, I don't think women in general will ever match men insofar as having the same attitude about no strings sex. A lot of men can have casual sex and enjoy it every bit as much as sex in a relationship. This is something some women still find confusing. Yes there are women having no strings sex, but many men can continue having casual sex long term and be happy. I think women are more likely to go through little phases and then discover that casual sex isn't really that fulfilling. Oxytocin may play a part in some of this, although men apparently release it as well so it's quite difficult to understand how powerful that is.

I have noticed most of you are equating casual sex with one night stands but surely that is the worst type of casual sex? Performance, especially in males is often limited in those situations. I suspect that a lot of women are often disappointed in the quality of the actual sex itself in those encounters, which is probably another contributor to negative mindsets. Casual relationships are far more likely to result in better sex than ONS but in my experience if the sex is very good the woman will want a more serious relationship, although I'll admit that some men may well feel the same when the woman doesn't want more.

No, I'm not saying women are on par with men on this front and I would agree with you there but I was originally disagreeing with the idea that women are unable to partake in casual sex (and I'm including a Fcuk Buddy scenario here, not just ONS) As I said, I'm talking about women who've got a bit of sense knocked into them throughout their twenties. I don't think it's down to women being unable to separate sex and feelings but more how romance has been shoved down our throats from a very young age and very few rom coms (for example) show it like it is. Man and woman go to bed, man and woman live happily ever after. In my early 20s that's how I believed it was and was left disappointed and confused many times.

This same kind of romantic idea of sex is not shoved down your throats in the same way.

As I got older, I copped on. I wouldn't call it cynicism as I'm happy in a relationship now with someone I love but I'm a hell of a lot more realistic having learned my lesson years ago. I realised that I got also distance myself from sex and treat it as something fun as supposed to something meaningful (which of course it is with the right person) just like men.

And I agree with you to some degree about men probably getting more satisfaction from ONS than women as I suppose getting to the finishing point is easier but I was actually talking about fcuk buddies or at least someone you've slept with more than once. ONS for me have usually been very average.

I think many men would be surprised just how primal women can be. There seems to be a misconception that women always need to be wooed (made believe it's more than just sex) for them to get into bed, which is completely wrong and a very dated way of thinking. I think we're very much able to view sex as simply a fun activity only society has made us believe otherwise (until we cop on)...plus the stigma attached to women who "sleep around". You rarely hear a woman talk about it like a man, so it's impossible to know what we get up to if we don't talk about it. And perhaps that stigma would prevent women going with those primal urges.

Edit: I do agree with you that women on the whole can't happily live their lives having a string of casual relationships (imo). Those days are done for me (being with someone is obviously the biggest reason) but also I did find it left me with an empty feeling. I know more men who engage in this long-term and I don't know how they do it. I think it'd only compound any loneliness I felt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,528 ✭✭✭jubella

About 5 or 6 months. I never counted so can't remember exactly. It never bothered me too much.
    Recently single now though and not looking forward to the latest dry spell :(

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭king size mars bar

I've heard that rumour too but in the two courses I attended there was only one specimen, she was much older and pregnant. There were maybe thirty or so people in each class. The company I work for is an all male environment. Obviously I'm not implying that females aren't able to do this work, they're equally capable of it, just that the courses I studied attracted less of them, the years above and below were equally barren.

I don't see the point of partaking in something I don't enjoy and actively makes me uncomfortable. It's not like I don't get out, I often go to instrumental performances, though not as often as I'd like to due to the distances involved, and regularly go jogging.

The pariah remark was a tongue firmly in cheek response to the many question marks by King Size Mars Bar, I don't view myself that way nor do I believe others do. I didn't make that post as a woe is me statement and heavily debated with myself before posting at all. My morbid curiosity won out.
    sorry lad, i didnt mean to p you off in any way

Don't worry, you didn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭Susie120704

I presume the guys who made this haven't gotten it in years

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,648 ✭✭✭Cody Pomeray

About 6 months, back when i was 17-18. It's picked up since then and will probably slow back down in the next 10 years.

If you were to graph it, inter-coital frequency is probably shaped like a hump along a time series for most people.

Then again, if you were to graph it, you're probably getting none at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,566 ✭✭✭ahnowbrowncow

I presume the guys who made this haven't gotten it in years

You trying to tell me you didn't slide off your seat while listening to that?

Poets, they've got a way with words.

Advertisement