Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

When is Bishops Quay and howleys quay road reopening?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭timbertime

bigpink wrote: »
    Surely the business knew it was going to happen tho

Yeah but she was initially told like the rest of us that it would be completed in May,.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭moby2101

Transport committee chairman Cllr Ger Fahy said: “It is unfortunate she feels her business had to close. But we as the council are very determined to upgrade the city which will improve businesses the population, and attract more tourists in.”

Wow!! Just WOW... " she feels her business has to close.."
    She had no business because of your departments incompetence and the length of time that this "project" is taking..

• Registered Users Posts: 51,179 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I'm sure the works outside didn't help matters but to be fair it is not the first business in that building to fail. It's a bit isolated.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,271 ✭✭✭source

I think this may be a convenient excuse, like the rats in Trinity rooms.

I've eaten there a nice few times, always of a Friday or Saturday night, I can't say that I've ever seen the place full.

The location is wrong for a place that size, and I would imagine the rent in there is not cheap by any stretch of the imagination.

In reality there's only really 3 businesses along the quays, milano, clohesseys, and the glasshouse. Of the three the glasshouse is furthest out of town and there's no attraction to draw people to the area.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭Wilbert13

Peter Clohessy is on today's Indo saying that his trade has been 'crucified' due to the road works

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭sasol

Wilbert13 wrote: »
    Peter Clohessy is on today's Indo saying that his trade has been 'crucified' due to the road works

I would say that his trade has been 'crucified' even more due to the price of drink in Clohessys and the Sin Bin and the 12/15 euro cover charge into the Sin Bin.

I have no sympthay for someone who charges what he charges for drink and then sees footfall decrease as a result.

IMO the trade in Clohessys and the Sin Bin had been decreasing long before the roadworks started.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

sasol wrote: »
    IMO the trade in Clohessys and the Sin Bin had been decreasing long before the roadworks started.

Nail on the head there!

Went into there on what could be considered a busy night and it was dead! Dead and this was way before the works were in planning! Should nearly just be opened on match days

• Registered Users Posts: 24,080 ✭✭✭✭phog

I'd be surprised if the work didn't have some effect on his business but the longterm benefits of the work will be a huge assest to his business. Not sure he needs to complain too much.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,271 ✭✭✭source

phog wrote: »
    I'd be surprised if the work didn't have some effect on his business but the longterm benefits of the work will be a huge assest to his business. Not sure he needs to complain too much.

I didn't put it up before now, because it was unsubstantiated, but a girl I know who used to work there, told me last December that all the staff had been put on notice that the bar was closing jan 2013.

To me it looks like he was going to pull the plug, thought the improved paving would be finished before the summer And decided to tough it out, now his gamble isn't paying off he's giving it about the works.

At least that's what it looks like to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,730 ✭✭✭europa11

Heard a piece of Claw's interview on local radio this a.m., in fairness -from the bit I got from it- he did admit that trade was poor enough prior to the works but obviously expressed disappointment that the works have gone way over time.

As things stand he'll have missed out on the best summer we're probably going to have for another decade (!) and will have to rely on European rugby weekends and the regular "good week" of summer we're more used to to capitalise on the promenade/al freesco café effect having a completely pedestrianised area outside his premises when the job is eventually done.

But even at that the pub itself is in serious need of a makeover, the big barn style might be OK during a boom or if the price of drink doesn't put punters off, but on the many occasions I've passed the place long before the Boardwalk works, there's no denying the place was dying on it's feet.

Hope he holds tough as I personally like the guy and wish him well. (tbh I thought he had taken over the Small Claws side of the building and was gone from the main bar). But as far as the pub itself is concerned they need to look at some kind of re-design to make it more ....well...something like Nancy's perhaps with a restaurant area facing the boardwalk.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

I'd agree - same thing is happening in Sydney, small bars are becoming more favoured, and look at the way Flannerys had a re-design which has improved that bar

• Site Banned Posts: 99 ✭✭untouchable

sure the business's will suffer in teh short term but when it is finished just picture a hot summers day everyone will be not just going to the locke but also to claws because there will be alot more space. people will be using the potential pubs and cafes on teh street on teh better days. its annoying that it was delayed but surely the long term benifits outweigh the short term annoyance

• Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭mgbgt1978

Define 'short-term'......
    A job that was originally going to close the road until May (still closed), and be finished completely the following month is still not complete, and is now looking like it will be at least another 3 months before completion.

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭sleepyman

I read in the Indo that it will be September now.Love to know what the excuse is-they've had good weather.Saying the boardwalk was "more difficult than expected" is not good enough.Would have made more sense to get the boardwalk and area around Clohesseys done first.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,403 ✭✭✭daisybelle2008

jmch81 wrote: »
    Was down there on Monday morning so took two pictures. The upload on boards isnt working for me so here is the link to two pictures i took with my phone:

http://imgur.com/ZfXAytn

Will be ages by the time they finish laying those carpets.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,839 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

This is the most recent photo of the work I can find.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=521794214560330&set=a.255911134481974.59842.233097496763338&type=1&permPage=1

Taken from Limerick Local Heroes facebook page.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭Wilbert13

Is that Limerick Local Heroes still going?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Is that Limerick Local Heroes still going?

Looks like it! A few posters here were involved with them but I haven't seen them post in ages. :(

Has the boardwalk been put down yet?

The boardwalk isn't down yet but the supports in the riverbed are.

Still a good bit of work to go yet! :(

• Advertisement

Bloody hell-talk about slow.I assume they can't finish the paving around Claws until that's done.Wonder will it be finished by September or drag on?No one shipowners are worried when they hear of streetworks and scheduled completion dates.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭pigtown

A breakdown of what it was like on Tuesday:
    Shannon Bridge to Lower Cecil St., Riverside essentially finished. Just needs to be cleaned and tidied. Opposite side still being paved.
    Lower Cecil St. to Bedford Row Lower, Riverside all dug up, supports for boardwalks appear complete. Opposite side (outside Clohesseys) untouched.
    Bedford Row Lower to Sarsfield St., Both sides essentially complete.
    Lower Cecil St., Squire McGuire side untouched. Opposite side still being paved.
    Poor Mans Kilkee, untouched.

On a related note, I think the city council should aim to make this section of the quays into Limerick's Salthill, the go to destination in sunny weather. The boardwalks etc. would just be the first part of this.

*Disclaimer*
    I don't know the ins and outs of the river, tides, depths etc., these are just the ideas of a dreamer

The star attraction would be an open air pool (heated) floating on the river such as the Badeschiff in Berlin. This is covered by a dome in winter but an alternative could be to freeze it and make an ice-rink. The pool would be connected to a floating terrace with sun loungers and benches that could be cleared off to allow the space be used as a stage for concerts and events. The terrace would be connected to Wellesley Pier by a gang way that would be gated and manned. The buildings on the pier would be converted for use, one as a cafe/bar, the other as changing/toilet facilities. The steps that lead up to Sarsfield Bridge would be reopened and a pedestrian bridge built from the pier to Poor Mans Kilkee.

There would be an admission charge of course, but a system such as the one for the DublinBikes where you can pay a subscription fee allowing entry for a year would be in place to encourage regular users. This would also keep the local scumbags out.

Further attractions such as pedal boats and rivertours could also be offered from the pier.

A boat restaurant would also have been very nice. Would have added nicely to Clohessy's and Milano.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

Why is it called poor mans kilkee?.....how did the name come about?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

Poor people who couldn't afford to go to Kilkee went there instead.

I thought poor man's Kilkee was finished aswell.Would it be possible to have it finished before months end?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

All the money spend on it a cover or roof in a section of it would be ideal

• Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭moby2101

A dog and a mallet come to mind!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,065 ✭✭✭crazygeryy

Buckeye wrote: »
    I live & work on Howleys Quay, so we get to spend breaks watching the progress, and if there's one thing I can say, it's that this crew are *not* standing around and leaning on shovels. They are all very good at what they do, especially the one who works the big orange digger thing - he's an artist, and we have a really good time watching him.

They also have to work odd hours sometimes, as some of the work has to be done at low tide. We've seen them out there a few times, working hard, before dawn and well past dark. They are also out there in some pretty crappy weather.

it's great to see all the artists STILL at work.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

Advertisement