Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

When is Bishops Quay and howleys quay road reopening?

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,976 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Mc Love wrote: »
    The footpaths on o'connell st are dreadful. Maybe they should change it back to a two way system like when it was georges st.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding you, but how would going back to a two way system improve the footpaths?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Maybe I'm misunderstanding you, but how would going back to a two way system improve the footpaths?

I should have put a bit more wording to that, as in it might improve the city center if it was a two way road?!

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭power101

It's turned into a complete joke down there at this stage. The reason for the whole delay is the walkway wasn't painted properly wherever it was sent. The whole project is basically on go slow and it will take weeks/months before they end up being painted properly. Seven month project meant to be finished in June/July, extended by 2 months until September now won't be completed until at least November/December. Farcical situation. I can't imagine how bad business must be for Milano's and Clohessy's at this stage, its a complete eyesore down there with the chainlink fence leaving only enough room for people to walk one by one.

Got this video yesterday after the fence fell down in the high winds. Shows how much work has to be done...

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10200436073366661&l=5448781952545629252

• Registered Users Posts: 24,125 ✭✭✭✭phog

From Twitter
    Peter Clohessy ‏@PeterClohessy 13h

New restaurant opening soon..
    #theboardwalk #ontherivershannon #nextmonth.

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭sleepyman

power101 wrote: »
    It's turned into a complete joke down there at this stage. The reason for the whole delay is the walkway wasn't painted properly wherever it was sent. The whole project is basically on go slow and it will take weeks/months before they end up being painted properly. Seven month project meant to be finished in June/July, extended by 2 months until September now won't be completed until at least November/December. Farcical situation. I can't imagine how bad business must be for Milano's and Clohessy's at this stage, its a complete eyesore down there with the chainlink fence leaving only enough room for people to walk one by one.

Got this video yesterday after the fence fell down in the high winds. Shows how much work has to be done...

Had a feeling it was something stupid like that.Don't understand though why they can't finish around Claws & Milanos though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Why would you drive over the fence??:eek:

What the hell are they doing every day?I'd be royally pissed off if I was a business owner and would be looking at my legal options.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,172 ✭✭✭1huge1

Mc Love wrote: »
    Why would you drive over the fence??:eek:
    If there is no room and you need to get down that road, what can you do?

Anyway, I'm sure for most people, it was herd mentality. They seen the person in front doing it so they decided it was ok to do it then.

Has the walkway been painted & is there any progress on the other areas?Are there workers there & are they doing anything presently?

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭Buckeye

sleepyman wrote: »
    Has the walkway been painted & is there any progress on the other areas?Are there workers there & are they doing anything presently?

Yes, there is still a lot of work going on every day. No one is standing around doing nothing.

As for businesses, I have been turned away from Milano's twice in the last month because they were packed and they expected the wait for a table to be at least half an hour, and I don't know about Clohessy's/Small Claw's numbers, but their patrons are making just as much noise as in past summers, so I know they aren't empty. Trucks still unload at Dunnes every day, the parking garage still fills up, and traffic moves smoothly around Harveys Quay (even when the fences blow over, ha ha), so I really don't see what anyone's problem is with the delay, as long as Keating is the company paying for it.
    :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,976 ✭✭✭Brennans Row

The original “Possible Year” for this phase was 2008 but more importantly now is when the city engineer / architect signs this phase off as completed, they should make sure that everything is finished to specification.

Some of the paving along the quay edge on O’Callaghan Strand was sub-standard.

3892530505_c5e96777a0_z.jpg

Buckeye wrote: »
    Yes, there is still a lot of work going on every day. No one is standing around doing nothing.

As for businesses, I have been turned away from Milano's twice in the last month because they were packed and they expected the wait for a table to be at least half an hour, and I don't know about Clohessy's/Small Claw's numbers, but their patrons are making just as much noise as in past summers, so I know they aren't empty. Trucks still unload at Dunnes every day, the parking garage still fills up, and traffic moves smoothly around Harveys Quay (even when the fences blow over, ha ha), so I really don't see what anyone's problem is with the delay, as long as Keating is the company paying for it.
    :confused:
    So have they started any work on Poor Man's Kilkee or do they still have all the building supplies there?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,842 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

Noticed today that the stretch along the quays is gonna be a 30km/h zone when it opens!

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭power101

Yes the walkway has been painted. The block by Clohessy's is very close to completion now.

So have they started any work on Poor Man's Kilkee or do they still have all the building supplies there?

No work has been started on poor man's kilkee. There's a mini spire going to be put in there.
    Noticed today that the stretch along the quays is gonna be a 30km/h zone when it opens!

In fairness its only 1 block outside milano's so it's not going to be a huge problem.

The project's end date has now been set at Oct 31st so we'll see if they can get all that work done in 5 weeks...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭pigtown

Yes the walkway has been painted. The block by Clohessy's is very close to completion now.

No work has been started on poor man's kilkee. There's a mini spire going to be put in there.

In fairness its only 1 block outside milano's so it's not going to be a huge problem.

The project's end date has now been set at Oct 31st so we'll see if they can get all that work done in 5 weeks...

What walkway and why are they painting it?

image.jpg

The Jurys Inn Hotel Group is now selling its hotel at the junction of Lower Mallow Street and Dock Road overlooking the river Shannon as a going concern. :(

When you consider that this hotel was built in 1997, along with the other massive private developments on the quays, the council’s 2013 riverfront upgrade has probably come for the Jurys Inn Hotel Group a bit too late!

See Irish Times

image.jpg

The Jurys Inn Hotel Group is now selling its hotel at the junction of Lower Mallow Street and Dock Road overlooking the river Shannon as a going concern. :(

When you consider that this hotel was built in 1997, along with the other massive private developments on the quays, the council’s 2013 riverfront upgrade has probably come for the Jurys Inn Hotel Group a bit too late!

See Irish Times
    It's not ageing well-much like Mount Kenneth Place.They should start again-that & the whole area around where the Old Dunnes is (which I know is part of the 2030 plan) need a facelift.

According to the Limerick Post, 60 per cent of the work is now completed.

They too say that the work should be completed by the end of October.

By the way 60% means almost! :rolleyes:

Walked home from college that way today and from Shannon Bridge to Clohessy's, Cecil Street and by Sarsfield Bridge are all complete.

What's really slowing things down is the boardwalk. The skeleton of it is in place weeks. The delay is with the wood or something.

Any up to date photos on the work?When you say Clohessys is done, does thearea outside has the fencing removed?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭Itsdacraic

When it reopens will I be able to drive my car from the Jurys roundabout straight around to Arthur's Quay park like I used to be able to do previously?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,976 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Itsdacraic wrote: »
    When it reopens will I be able to drive my car from the Jurys roundabout straight around to Arthur's Quay park like I used to be able to do previously?

No. In front of Clohesseys is to be pedestrianised.

I doubt it'll be done by the end of the month. Maybe they'll get the pavements down but the boardwalk is nowhere near ready.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭moby2101

Walked some of this on Sunday, while I Have to say it looks well..its completely underwhelming when you think how long and how much is being spent on this

Men at work . . . . by Wallace Shackleton (28 September)

Tidy construction site! :rolleyes:

Hope the monument survives unscathed.

10123787516_80e65e4bbe_c.jpg

moby2101 wrote: »
    Walked some of this on Sunday, while I Have to say it looks well..its completely underwhelming when you think how long and how much is being spent on this

I agree-was home there at the weekend.It's an improvement on what was there but the time it's taken is ridiculous.How long have they been working on the path outside Milanos?Surely that should be done and dusted in a few days?I assume Poor Man's Kilkee will drag on until next year considering all the building materials/machines that are there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭Vanquished

To be fair I pass through that area very regularly and I've never noticed the construction works impacting negatively upon the dockers monument. Although one day I did witness one of the figures sporting a high-vis jacket.:D

Also I couldn't agree with the contention that the upgraded quayside is "underwhelming". It's a complete transformation from the bleak, dingy, shabby, uninviting space it was previously. The quality of the materials is of a high standard. The granite paving looks great. It's such a missed opportunity that this stone wasn't laid on the William Street and Sarsfield Street remodelling projects as well. Although I'm conscious that the budget probably didn't allow for this!

I would have reservations about some of the construction progress alright. The boardwalk structure is proving problematic to such an extent that they appear to be prioritising this element to the detriment of the remaining outstanding works where only a skeleton staff seem to be working.

A significant amount of work will be required at Poor Man's Kilkee too and that's even after the site compound is removed!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭pigtown

It really will be fantastic when it's eventually done. It would be great if the council could organise some sort of competition for architecture or engineering students for a design to improve the Shannon Bridge. It looks fairly dated compared to the Strands and now the Quays.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,694 ✭✭✭thesimpsons

A sculpture on the roundabout could look fantastic. I see they cleaned up the weeds and debris from the railings on the bridge last week, long overdue.
    has the old cobble stones been removed or were they left there. I always thought they looked fantastic around the docker's monument.

• Advertisement

pigtown wrote: »
    It really will be fantastic when it's eventually done. It would be great if the council could organise some sort of competition for architecture or engineering students for a design to improve the Shannon Bridge. It looks fairly dated compared to the Strands and now the Quays.

Even if they just gave it a lick of paint. That shade of green is awful.

Advertisement