Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

When is Bishops Quay and howleys quay road reopening?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭sleepyman

Are there any up to date photos of the works?Haven't been home in a while and would love to see how it's going.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,230 ✭✭✭mgbgt1978

Not much to see to be honest, unless you like looking for shots of traffic cones and temporary fences.
    A bit of Kerbing behind the franciscans and another bit up at the other end behind the Garda station.
    Some new Tarmac here and there, otherwise not a chance this will be finished by end of May.:rolleyes:

mgbgt1978 wrote: »
    Not much to see to be honest, unless you like looking for shots of traffic cones and temporary fences.
    A bit of Kerbing behind the franciscans and another bit up at the other end behind the Garda station.
    Some new Tarmac here and there, otherwise not a chance this will be finished by end of May.:rolleyes:
    Was at home last week and there's a fair bit to do-the poorman's Kilkee end up to before Clohesseys looks like it will be finished shortly-I think having the boardwalk finished before the end of August might be slightly optimistic.

AUGUST ????
    The original signage (and anything in the papers) all told us this would be completed by May..............

• Registered Users Posts: 51,158 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

mgbgt1978 wrote: »
    AUGUST ????
    The original signage (and anything in the papers) all told us this would be completed by May..............

Didn't say which May though.

Was down that way yesterday evening and I think even August is a bit tight. They are extending the quay around the Clohessey's area similar to what they did at Clancy's Strand.

• Advertisement

.....either extending it or the whole thing collapsed into the shannon ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

The little memorial park by the Shannon Bridge is looking well!

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Sully777

It will be beautiful when its finished and it will benefit a small number of businesses such as Clohessys, The Glass House etc. and it will be lovely to walk around there once its finished. Its taking an extraordinary amount of time though.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭MrLaurel

I do a lot of running on the river side areas and I'm delighted they're taking their time and getting it right. The last thing we need is an inferior riverside walk. Even if it takes until May 2014, so be it as long as its right. The bars and restaurants in the area may have short time pain, but they'll definitely get long term gain. In fact, wouldn't the RiverFest BBQ be ideal in front of Clohessys next year?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 318 ✭✭audidiesel

I dunno how Clohessys is staying open at the moment. this seems to be absolutely killing their business there. its popularity was down before this work began but its deserted most of the time now.

if they survive till it finishes it will be a huge boost to them alright though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,730 ✭✭✭europa11

tbh Clohessys business has been going downhill for a long time. Long before any work started on the quaysides.

Regularly pass by it during the week and rarely see more than two customers there. Nighttime trade is hardly affected by works I'd imagine.

If anything they'll benefit greatly from this development, having the entire quay there pedestrianised and with the additional extension. Personally I think they should take this opportunity to refurbish the place, always thought it a very badly laid out bar (my opinion I know)

Incidentally I was stalking to a member of staff from Pier One and they are "re-facing" (if that's the word!) their present car park at the quayside to put a café/outdoor service area to front the river, and put tables/chairs at the re-paved area just next to Sarsfield Bridge. Also relocating the bar upstairs to acommodate new seating overlooking the boardwalk/river, so a lot of associated work going on there.

Just hope that the powers that be can clear the knacker/wino element currently congregating on the other side of Sarsfield Bridge underpass (usually at the delivery side of the old Dunnes building) before completion.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭Limerick Dude

Anyone with up to date photos of the works? I'm heading down to Limerick this weekend so I'll try to take a few if I get the chance.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

Walk past there the other day only seems to be the area in front of Clohessys that is pedestrianised seems an awful waste of work if that is the case

bigpink wrote: »
    Walk past there the other day only seems to be the area in front of Clohessys that is pedestrianised seems an awful waste of work if that is the case

Have they not widened the footpath from that park/memorial near the Riverpoint end?Surely that part could be finished open to the public soon while they work around Clohesseys?Poor Mans Kilkee looked nearly finished when I was last home also.Allowing for moving pipes etc I think the work has been done at a glacial pace.Fair enough they have to build the boardwalk but I see no reason why Poor Mans Kilkee & the area near the riverpoint could have been finished sooner.Not surprising though when you consider they took nearly a year to do Bedford Row back in 05-06.To be fair they did a great job there so hopefully this will be the same.

Bit wider but nothing major think its looks wider with the new stone being clean and lighter colour

Clohessys are going to love this.

Limerick%20City%20Quays%20Montage.jpg

http://www.limerick.ie/cityquays/

They will need to make a pub and public section down there

I love the way in the 2nd image people are walking in the road lol

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭Wilbert13

They forgot to put in the winos and junkies

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,860 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Wilbert13 wrote: »
    They forgot to put in the winos and junkies

It would've been hard to include O'Connell Street in a picture of the quay, in fairness...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭Wilbert13

It would've been hard to include O'Connell Street in a picture of the quay, in fairness...

They will plague that quay I reckon, they're down on the boardwalk by Schooners most days

Can see the off licence in Dunnes doing well from it lol

• Registered Users Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭kilburn

Stop whinging, no wonder the city is falling down, if i was in the council I would not bother my hole improving the city for ye.

Being near the garda station im sure it will be policed well

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭ZombieBride

kilburn wrote: »
    Stop whinging, no wonder the city is falling down, if i was in the council I would not bother my hole improving the city for ye.

The council need to get their finger out and actually get jobs into the city, then there would be less whining, all this improvement going on while the rest of the city is abandoned. Oh it will be a treat to go to the rive when the city is even more of a ghost town than it is today (and I love the city and do plenty to try and improve it but am getting frustrated with the lack of action in regards to actual jobs)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭kilburn

The council need to get their finger out and actually get jobs into the city, then there would be less whining, all this improvement going on while the rest of the city is abandoned. Oh it will be a treat to go to the rive when the city is even more of a ghost town than it is today (and I love the city and do plenty to try and improve it but am getting frustrated with the lack of action in regards to actual jobs)

Its the IDA and Enterprise Irelands job to get jobs into the city not the council, there job is to keep the city clean, tidy provide services etc although they can create an environment to attract business with rates, in fairness I have criticised them many times but you cant blame them for everything.

There should be penalty clauses in the construction contracts i am sure they would be finished faster by then.

I am tryinging to give them the beneift of the doubt as they now have some people in their who can get things done e.g. Conn Murray

• Registered Users Posts: 5,730 ✭✭✭europa11

kilburn wrote: »
    Its the IDA and Enterprise Irelands job to get jobs into the city not the council,.....

Agreed.

Just wondering why the then Mayor Jim-Il-Long and Cllr. Kevin Kiely took off for China on two occasions during the mayorality of said Jim Long on the pretext of "getting jobs for the city" when as you rightly say, that is the work of the job creation agencies.

To the best of my knowledge, and here I'm open to correction, neither visit/junket resulted in the setting up of any Chinese business in the city. Unless Jim and Kevin are claiming the start up of The Sunny House take-away was a direct result of their efforts.

Such waste of resources reflects badly on the Council and if anything, discourages retailers from setting up in a city where the rates have consistenly been the highest in the country.

Good point on that penalty clause re construction too, while we'd all like to see a properly finished job, the over-run is going to eat into the cost of construction. I hope that we (the property tax/ratepayers) don't end up actually paying the contractor even more because they failed to meet their own deadline - as was often the case during the infamous 'Tiger' era.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

Work only started on the Quays on November 22nd.
    That was only 6 months ago on Wednesday (including a Christmas holiday period).

How quickly do some of you expect it to be done? :rolleyes:

Ehmm, they did make a big deal about telling us it would be completed by May......today is the 24th ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭Itsdacraic

Work only started on the Quays on November 22nd.
    That was only 6 months ago on Wednesday (including a Christmas holiday period).

How quickly do some of you expect it to be done? :rolleyes:

Because the signage that was erected when the job started said it would be finished in May? :rolleyes:

Advertisement