Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

When is Bishops Quay and howleys quay road reopening?

Options
  • 20-04-2013 9:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭

its very annoying being diverted up to henry st way since november of last year instead of being able to go straight on, anyone know when the road is reopening?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Sign says May but I don't know if they will finish in time.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,011 ✭✭✭Jofspring

I'd say the end of June at the rate its going, unless it suddenly picks up extremely quick.

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭Goofy

Its never reopening to traffic. Howley's quay is being pedestrianised.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

The area in front of Clohessy's was to reopen on Wednesday.
    Did it?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,158 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

The sign said May, it just didn't say which May.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,860 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

They typed in the message wrong. It should read

"Road MAY re-open in 2013"

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭power101

The block outside clohessy's will be fully pedestrianized. The road from the roundabout to that block will reopen at the end of next month

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭Xx-Steph08-xX

ok i have just started working in town and park in harveys quay if this road was open it would make my life easier but does this mean now when it does actually open i cant come off the roundabout drive up by clohessys and fly into the car park?? :(

• Registered Users Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭highlydebased

ok i have just started working in town and park in harveys quay if this road was open it would make my life easier but does this mean now when it does actually open i cant come off the roundabout drive up by clohessys and fly into the car park?? :(

You'll have to go up Henry St and down that way. It will add 1-2 mins to your journey max...

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭Xx-Steph08-xX

ok ya i know that i was actuaaly stick in it over 5 mins the other day was backed up around the bend, its more going home thats annoying me

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭Wilbert13

Anyone know what is taking these guys so long? They've been at this for 6 months or more and there's shag all progress....from the Harvey's Quay block to Sarsfield Bridge they've put down a footpath and a bit of a road

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

Really thought they would have planned to have this done for the Riverfest

The part along Russell Quay and Bishop's Quay should be done for June.

Still a very long time for a stretch of footpath in fairness

Well, if a job's worth doing...:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,270 ✭✭✭source

Wilbert13 wrote: »

They're not just pouring concrete, they're doing some serious work down there, remodeling the small park areas, laying thousands of paving slabs, putting in better railings, pedestrianising a whole block, widening the footpaths and narrowing the roads, creating a new board walk. They also had to move/re-lay all the pipes along the stretch.

They're also working with high quality materials so they have to be careful.

So a little bit more than a stretch if footpath in fairness.

• Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭Video

Pointless if you ask me , thanks anyway lads

• Registered Users Posts: 23,884 ✭✭✭✭phog

In fairness it's not like they had free run of the area, they've had to keep vehicular access for the majority of the time. While it may be dragging in, it's certainly worth the wait.

source wrote: »
    They're not just pouring concrete, they're doing some serious work down there, remodeling the small park areas, laying thousands of paving slabs, putting in better railings, pedestrianising a whole block, widening the footpaths and narrowing the roads, creating a new board walk. They also had to move/re-lay all the pipes along the stretch.

They're also working with high quality materials so they have to be careful.

So a little bit more than a stretch if footpath in fairness.

a fancy footpath so....

Seriously,I understand they're doing a lot of work there, just still seems a bit slow.

It hasn't even been six months yet. You also have to take Christmas holidays into consideration.

William Street, Thomas Street, Bedford Row all took this long too!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,270 ✭✭✭source

a fancy footpath so....

Seriously,I understand they're doing a lot of work there, just still seems a bit slow.

Well not if you take into account the fact that there are a large number of apartments along there which means the hours they can use loud heavy machinery are seriously limited.

Also there are a lot of businesses who need access to the road for both deliveries and business operation, so they could not close the road and have full access.

If they could work earlier and later and take over the entire stretch of quays then I'm sure they could be finished by now. Unfortunately they have to take how the street is used into consideration and limit the disruption to residents.

It seems to be only Clohessys pub that will be gaining from this,they will have an instant river side beer garden.Wonder will drinking be allowed in this broadwalk

bigpink wrote: »
    It seems to be only Clohessys pub that will be gaining from this,they will have an instant river side beer garden.Wonder will drinking be allowed in this broadwalk

The whole idea is to turn the city towards the river, imho, it would be mad to spend so much and then not allow local businesses use it. Haven't Claws being using the pavement at the riverside of the street for years. Also, I'm sure Milano's will try and use outdoor seating. AFAIK, businesses that use outdoor seating areas pay higher rates.

True suppose but the other side is familys down there may not want to be around a pub area or walkers in the evening,people doing excerise

bigpink wrote: »
    True suppose but the other side is familys down there may not want to be around a pub area or walkers in the evening,people doing excerise

Well, they seem to be widening the pedestrian area, so could still have a riverside walk without tables for the walkers/joggers to use without being hindered by the clientele using the pubs/restaurants that may avail of the new pedestrian area.

Either way, I don't see it being too much of an issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭DeWinterZero

Given the amount of times they dug up William Street or used a vibrating roller at 4am I don't think their that bothered about not waking up people. There isn't the need to have a quick flow of traffic along the quays during the day and there probably isn't the money to pay builder night shift pay rates.

Well at half 4 today no one working there surley they should be working a bit later with the brighter evenings and the good weather

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭cottager83

Does it now mean you can't go from dock road to Arthur's quay along the river or do you have to turn up to Henry street when it's finished?

They have been working down by Sarsfield Bridge the past few evenings, the road is closed was closed off on that section the past 2 evenings.

There will be no access from Dock Road side, you'll have to go up to Henry Street.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,230 ✭✭✭mgbgt1978

It's hard to believe the amount of cars that previously used the Quays.
    Just look at the tailbacks along Henry st. every morning between 8 and 9ish and again in the afternoons.....
    While I do understand the concept of enhancing the city, the council will eventually discover that if people can't drive through the city without needless traffic jams, they will simply not come in at all, regardless of how many "recreational areas" are built.
    Personally I think they should concentrate on the Market Quarter. Pedestrianise Denmark st., Robert st. etc. Lower the Rates for specific Business's such as specialized food shops, art and crafts outlets, 2nd hand book/music shops.
    These are the type of outlet which as well as attracting a variety of people also encourage browsing and lead to repeat custom.

I would rather spend an hour or two picking up a few "bargains" than admiring Kerbstones that cost the taxpayer €80 each for example.

Advertisement