Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

When is Bishops Quay and howleys quay road reopening?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭sleepyman

They'll be doing well to have that finished by end of August.

Well lads-any update on this?Are they making good progress on the boardwalk now?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,839 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

Not really. Only the beams to support the boardwalk have been laid.
    Clohessy's and Milano's front still hasn't been touched and Poorman's Kilkee is still used as a storage area.
    September/October, I'd say.

Bloody ridiculous how slow this is progressing.I'd be well annoyed if I was Clohessys or Milanos.

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭power101

They've laid a good bit of stonework in front of Milano's over the past week. Lots of progress beign made at the moment

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

Was down there yesterday....lol, they are months away. 2014 at least.....

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭Buckeye

sleepyman wrote: »
    Well lads-any update on this?Are they making good progress on the boardwalk now?

They're working on the hanging boardwalk, and they're laying some seriously high-quality brickwork in front of Milano's now.

They're working through the showers (lucky that this part of the world doesn't get lightning & thunder), and with the tides so high recently, they've been working at some ungodly early hours; the machinery wakes me up long before my alarm goes off.

They definitely way underestimated the time it would take to complete, but it looks like the final product is going to be very good.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

Saw some of the brickwork up by the Glasshouse side not sure is some of it painted stone or that's the colour on the little walls.Looks like something that will weather bad,hope its not very slippy stone like all the other Limerick street projects

Hello September! :)

Wonder if it'll be done by the time we reach October? :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,938 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Hello September! :)

Wonder if it'll be done by the time we reach October? :rolleyes:

Doubt it. Had a walk down there yesterday. From the roundabout to Clohessys looks basically finished. From Clohessys to Milanos however is another story. Very little paving down and poor mans Kilkee isn't even started. Also less than half of the steel work for the boardwalk looks to be in place.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭moby2101

Will be lucky to be ready for Crimbo at the rate it's progressing

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

This truck was blocking the area earlier

1174773_10153204560310052_106748938_n.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,065 ✭✭✭crazygeryy

Buckeye wrote: »
    They're working on the hanging boardwalk, and they're laying some seriously high-quality brickwork in front of Milano's now.

They're working through the showers (lucky that this part of the world doesn't get lightning & thunder), and with the tides so high recently, they've been working at some ungodly early hours; the machinery wakes me up long before my alarm goes off.

They definitely way underestimated the time it would take to complete, but it looks like the final product is going to be very good.

do you work for them by any chance? you seem to be defending them to the last.
    and by the way lots of people work out in irish /bad weather. its not as big deal as your making it out to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭jbkenn

Mc Love wrote: »
    This truck was blocking the area earlier

1174773_10153204560310052_106748938_n.jpg

Dennigans deliver to Dunnes, just trying to do his job.

Is the brickwork to the right of the Sam Dennigan truck part of a footpath or road?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,271 ✭✭✭source

Is the brickwork to the right of the Sam Dennigan truck part of a footpath or road?

I believe they're to be parking bays with a wide footpath and single lane of traffic.

Well, hopefully they've taken HGVs using that route into consideration.
    Looks tight at the moment!

Will the businesses be compensated or will the Council make some lame excuses?Absoloutely pathetic how long it's taken.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭roast

sleepyman wrote: »
    Will the businesses be compensated or will the Council make some lame excuses?Absoloutely pathetic how long it's taken.

I reckon the higher footfall in the area post-completion would be considered compensation enough. Indeed, crazy that it's still ongoing.

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭DeWinterZero

When they put down the new pavement in William Street, they did it a few buildings at a time and slowly moved up the street. On the quay they seem to be doing a section and then moving on before their finished. The pavement is now dug up and half finished from Jurys on lower Mallow street down to Sarsfield Bridge.

The boardwalk is delaying everything somehow. When thats done I expect the rest to done withing 2/3 weeks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

roast wrote: »
    I reckon the higher footfall in the area post-completion would be considered compensation enough. Indeed, crazy that it's still ongoing.

A very similar line to that was trotted out by a city official before the completion of the Thomas street and Sarsfield street works. Was talk of how footfall numbers were going to soar and of how various businesses were tripping over themselves to get into units on those streets as a result of the new footpaths. The purpose built unit at the junction of Thomas street and Catherine street had many companies competing for it according to reports, just as there were articles in the local papers saying there were businesses looking to pay more than the asking rental prices so that they could get into Cruises street this year.

If the works don't get finished this year, and the talk of some of the work rolling into 2014, then I would have concerns for some of the smaller businesses in that side of town. The entire summer has been a write off for them, and it is looking bad for the run up to Xmas now as well. :( Really hope the works gets finished soon and that those businesses get a fighting chance to continue trading.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭kilburn

To be fair there actually were lots of companies competing for the Thomas Street Centre building but fit out and access issues ruled them out.

Tesco Express were interested at one stage. There were major obkections though.

All the units being used by artists are gone now as there was supposed to be a health centre going in there. No sign of it yet!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭kilburn

Didnt someone buy it a few months back for 6m?

Thought i saw that on the leader, i did but it was sale agreed

http://www.limerickleader.ie/news/business/sale-agreed-on-six-storey-thomas-street-centre-in-limerick-city-1-3841298

• Registered Users Posts: 1,694 ✭✭✭thesimpsons

is there any plans on doing up footpaths on O'Connell Street - couldn't help but notice today its looking the absolute pits with that tarmac type surface. plus, totally littered with cigarette buts and rubbish

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭Cityslicker1

is there any plans on doing up footpaths on O'Connell Street - couldn't help but notice today its looking the absolute pits with that tarmac type surface. plus, totally littered with cigarette buts and rubbish

I agree with you here..O'Connell street should be the priority as it's the main thoroughfare in the city. It badly needs a face-lift..even the planting of lots of trees on both sides of the street with new footpaths would really change the streetscape and hardly break the bank. I think they were planning on pedestrianising the section from William street to Roches street which I hope they've scraped.Imagine O'Connell street closed off completely to a constant flow of traffic in the evenings...ghost town.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,938 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

It's due at some stage to get the same treatment and Thomas St. and William St. It was originally due to start last year. God knows when it'll actually be done.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

The footpaths on o'connell st are dreadful. Maybe they should change it back to a two way system like when it was georges st.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭longfellow deeds

Mc Love wrote: »
    The footpaths on o'connell st are dreadful. Maybe they should change it back to a two way system like when it was georges st.

i think you're right

• Advertisement

How's the work going down there?I know Poor Mans Kilkee won't be finished for months by the looks of things but is the boardwalk beginning to take shape?I was home two weeks ago and it look like the steel structure was in the river.
    Will it be finished before the Heineken Cup starts in October?

Advertisement