Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Croke Park deal to fail

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭Chancer3001

Labour are finished.

We'll end up with a 2 party system at this rate!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭Rented Mule

We all need to live within our means.

If people heeded that advice in the first place, the country wouldn't be where it is today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Hootanany wrote: »
    65k is not a badly paid job, what about the sick leave unvouched,
    Oh I can't be bothered.
    Benchmarking has to be applied what goes up must come down.

Gonna write that on my next cheque to the NCT, ESB, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

I honestly think Labour may pull out of government over this. They're already on the rack and if they're part of a Government that force this through they are as dead as the PDs.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

I'd love to be a fly on the wall when Howlin's phoning the Troika tonight to tell them of the NO vote. :D:D

Ya mein Furher...Nein.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭schnitzelEater

You might have been living well within your means until your wages were cut a few times and your bills have risen. That's no joke at all. Many in that boat.

Indeed, and many of the PS seem to expect the tax payer to keep them in their standard of living when the tax payer can not afford to.

Arguing with PS is pointless. Dustin doesn't vote for Christmas why should the PS. And the PS is blinkered about the pain they have taken versus the rest of the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,652 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

I honestly think Labour may pull out of government over this. They're already on the rack and if they're part of a Government that force this through they are as dead as the PDs.

"New Labour" beckons with Shortall, Keaveney and Childers.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Thing is, in a normal economy where we had control of our own currency inflation would de dropping and wages cuts would be more acceptable. But rent is going up, food prices are going up, utility bills are going up and petrol is going up while wages are coming down.

Remember all the talk from "The Greens" over staying the coarse.

Then look what happened.;):D

Ive been saying this myself on a few other threads in the last few days.

Labour are fcuked and they cant last much longer

Gilmore has been shot to pieces on everything hes put his name and Labours name to.

Labour is fcuked.

Gilmore is even more fcuked now.

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭MMAGirl

Indeed, and many of the PS seem to expect the tax payer to keep them in their standard of living when the tax payer can not afford to.

Arguing with PS is pointless. Dustin doesn't vote for Christmas why should the PS. And the PS is blinkered about the pain they have taken versus the rest of the country.

Really. I thought the public sector wanted to share the reduction in take home with every other worker in the country.
    It was unfair to have the PS take all of the cuts.
    It would be much easier to create a new tax band for over 65k and get a smaller share from every worker in the country on over 65k, instead of targeting and taking a much bigger chunk from a smaller sector.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭KCC

Public sector spending has to fall, at least to level that's close to the EU average. If unions are unwilling to negotiate these reductions, Government have to make the reductions themselves.

They can start by cutting spending. Here are some ideas: eliminating the use of consultants and subcontractors, severely limiting all foreign travel by politicians and civil servants, forbidding business class flights regardless of flight duration, closing many embassies, renegotiating leases on buildings, making maximum use of buildings, forcing certain public sector workers such as public health nurses and social welfare inspectors to use basic "company" cars to eliminate massive mileage claims, upgrading the social welfare IT system to match it with that of Revenue, assigning extra staff to investigate fraud, closing quangos, firing underperformers and with a few exceptions, those with bad sick leave records, drastically cutting foreign aid, using buses instead of taxis to bring mentally disabled children to school, having one IT service for the whole civil service, reviewing school feeding in disadvantaged areas so that kids are just given what they need (why the F do they need a "hot breakfast"?), eliminating the free travel scheme, clamping down on corrupt local authorities - re gift taking, procurement practices, planning decisions, proper review by DPER of appropriate staffing in each and every public sector body with enforceable recommendations, etc. I could go on!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

So PS workers reject the cuts, I would be interested what alternative ways they would suggest to reduce the mammoth PS pay bill? How many future generations are they prepared to beggar?

What about the children, the sick or even the Private Sector workers who will have to stay at home to mind them?

Sure the strikes are for the good of kids and the sick.

MMAGirl wrote: »
    Really. I thought the public sector wanted to share the reduction in take home with every other worker in the country.
    It was fair to have the PS take all of the cuts.
    It would be much easier to create a new tax band for over 65k and get a smaller share from every worker in the country on over 65k, instead of targeting and taking a much bigger chunk from a smaller sector.

The PS took 'all of the cuts'?

Sorry but that is a ridiculous statement to make. If you really think that then it proves what I have been saying about being blinkered.

So PS workers reject the cuts, I would be interested what alternative ways they would suggest to reduce the mammoth PS pay bill? How many future generations are they prepared to beggar?

I don't think they care as long as their pensions are intact.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Hootanany

mikom wrote: »
    Gonna write that on my next cheque to the NCT, ESB, etc.

All Government agencies higher prices so Pension can be paid and increments.
    And yes I know NCT is a private company, it was vioisted on this Country by our Dark leaders.

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭MMAGirl

The PS took 'all of the cuts'?

Sorry but that is a ridiculous statement to make. If you really think that then it proves what I have been saying about being blinkered.

So what cuts in take home were the rest of us non PS workers going to take in CP2?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,522 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

KCC wrote: »
    They can start by cutting spending. Here are some ideas: eliminating the use of consultants and subcontractors

That's an insane suggestion.

Sure the strikes are for the good of kids and the sick.

you were the one who said that only the PS would lose by striking.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

SB2013 wrote: »
    I'm sure they know. Anyway what would i challenge them on? They didn't make the social welfare system and i doubt they are abusing it in any way. It just so happens that their social welfare entitlements are worth more then the wage of both my partner and I. But sure, cut the wages, that's where the waste is.

how do you know what they are getting ? im sure they worked prior to this when the big mortgage and all

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭Chancer3001

get rid of SNAs from schools.

Increase price of petrol.

Increase cigarettes.

Increase drink.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

What about the children, the sick or even the Private Sector workers who will have to stay at home to mind them?

your worried id say

MMAGirl wrote: »
    So what cuts in take home were the rest of us non PS workers going to take in CP2?

Completely irrelevant.

We need to reduce the cost of running the PS. End of story. I'm not prepared to pay a higher rate of tax to keep an overpaid PS overpaid.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,429 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Again I say, it's not the cuts that they are rejecting; it's the destruction of the conditions. Most PS workers seem to accept cuts are coming. But the CP2 "agreement" would have made cuts AND hurt working conditions. It's the latter for the most part that's getting the No vote.

your worried id say

You obviously can't read or you would have seen why i wrote that.

Right serious question here.......

How long will Labour last in Goverment???????

Worth a bet in the bookies???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 805 ✭✭✭SB2013

paddy147 wrote: »
    Right serious question here.......

How long will Labour last in Goverment???????

Worth a bet in the bookies???

I'd be surprised if the government isn't gone by their summer holidays.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 97 ✭✭1hottmofo

I cant stop laughing at the statement that the PS has taken all the cuts.Tommy Tiernan watch out

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,522 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

get rid of SNAs from schools.

I don't suppose you have any special needs do you?

• Advertisement

SB2013 wrote: »
    I'd be surprised if the government isn't gone by their summer holidays.

Please.....If there is a god.....:D

Advertisement