Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Croke Park deal to fail

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Are the revenue part of this deal?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

You will when you need a nurse, doctor, garda and have to stay at home to mind your children while the teachers are out.

this is always the gun to the head. id like to believe that most people are decent and will realise they were over paid for a period of time you just have to look at your neighbour that is not in the public sector. the government need yo grow a set and implement the changes necessary. Typical irish there will be a few rumblings and then we all move on together. Hopefully with fewer public service workers that are leaching off the state.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,652 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

mikom wrote: »

yes. So hold onto your Property Tax money as they might not be collecting it now :D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

yes. So hold onto your Property Tax money as they might not be collecting it now :D:D

A property tax go slow............ me likey.

Still haven't got my bully letter yet, by the way.

this is always the gun to the head. id like to believe that most people are decent and will realise they were over paid for a period of time you just have to look at your neighbour that is not in the public sector. the government need yo grow a set and implement the changes necessary. Typical irish there will be a few rumblings and then we all move on together. Hopefully with fewer public service workers that are leaching off the state.

Your bias shines through like a beacon.
    I'd say you'd hardly share the footpath with them while "moving on together".

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 97 ✭✭1hottmofo

I don't know what they are on as i'm not a PS employee but from reading posts here they are not on great wages at all.
    What I do know is that they were being shafted and needed to stand up and fight.
    I want my nurse and doctor to have pride in their work and feel useful. not treated like a second class citizen and not have pride in their job.

So would you take an extra 2% tax cut to prevent the PS from pay cuts?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭Always number 1

Stinicker wrote: »
    There should be no cuts in my opinion what should be is around 100,000 forced redundancies and cut the fat from the system and get rid of the failed sons and daughters of fianna fail cronies who got jobs in the Public service under the Previous Government because most of them were unemployable anywhere else.

Oh yes, lets put another 100,000 out of work and into the dole queue :rolleyes:
    Not everyone got into the Public Service via cronyism, all jobs (except technical ones such as engineers, architects etc where you need the relevant qualifications) were advertised in an open competition but too many people were enjoying the big bucks that accompanied the Celtic Tiger and turned their noses up at the paltry pay that the public service was offered at the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭not yet

Yup

• Closed Accounts Posts: 805 ✭✭✭SB2013

Were these changes in the CP2 going to mean the difference between people being able to put food on the table or not? serious question, I understood CP2 outlined extra hours for most/all workers and reduce pay for people over a certain pay level, was there something else that hasn't been widely announced in CP2?

Shift allowance for nights, weekends and bank holidays were given massive cuts.

My neighbour is unemployed. His wife works part time in M&S. They have four kids and two cars. Their home would have been bought for more than 350k and they have just come back from a 3 week holiday. They seem to be doing pretty good. Did you have a point with that suggestion?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,467 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Sergeant wrote: »
    I'd rather have a long winter of discontent and a FG/FF coalition than have my kids and grandkids paying increased taxes for the next 40 years, as we didn't have the balls to deal with the massive overweight elephant in the room - public sector pay and pensions.
    I dont disagree with your comments in general but what about the elephants in the room that had a major part in getting us into this mess? What about the crap that these guys pensions are untouchable? Yet revenue can take monies from your pension for the household charge? Or the fact that any of those currently being investigated will be long dead before trial? Or the mortgage crisis around the corner or indeed the even bigger elephant in the room, the social welfare bill........

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 853 ✭✭✭Pappa Charlie

I reckon this is the start of the finish for this government, labour will get cold feet, if they legislate they are finished completely! A little less arrogance from the likes of shatter and Rabbitte and they might have got it through! Bunch of muppets!

1hottmofo wrote: »
    So would you take an extra 2% tax cut to prevent the PS from pay cuts?

That would work out at just over 1% after tax etc.
    I'm paying that for Quinn Insurance and have done for PMPA before.
    Yes I would, would you?
    I like my nurses and doctors to be happy and to have pride in their job. Cuts do the opposite.

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭schnitzelEater

The sense of entitlement from the PS and their refusal to take some of the pain disappoints me.

Hopefully we can reduce unnecessary public spending to cut out the unsustainable deficit we continue to have despite so called austerity.

I think PS workers and ther unions have forgotten the proper relationship between employer and employee. The tail has been leading the dog for too long now.

The sense of entitlement from the PS and their refusal to take some of the pain disappoints me.

Hopefully we can reduce unnecessary public spending to cut out the unsustainable deficit we continue to have despite so called austerity.

I think PS workers and ther unions have forgotten the proper relationship between employer and employee. The tail has been leading the dog for too long now.

Some of the pain? I think you've missed the massive cuts the PS has already taken before this.

Yes I would, would you?
    I like my nurses and doctors to be happy and to have pride in their job. Cuts do the opposite.

Pass.

No reason why the private sector should pay more tax to protect the public sector.

"wagging" and you're wrong on the other stuff too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,713 ✭✭✭HondaSami

The sense of entitlement from the PS and their refusal to take some of the pain disappoints me

The PS have taken some of the pain all ready or did you miss that ?

How many pay cuts do you think the PS should take before it's enough for you?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 97 ✭✭1hottmofo

Yes I would, would you?

No thanks.I have a good wage and I can assure you that Im fully stretched.I would have no interest in paying extra tax so the PS can avoid cuts

Pass.

No reason why the private sector should pay more tax to protect the public sector.

That's probably what will happen i'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭KCC

Ever heard of Croke Park 1? The pain has been taken. Our arses are red raw.

• Advertisement

SB2013 wrote: »
    Some of the pain? I think you've missed the massive cuts the PS has already taken before this.

You're having a laugh, right?

Of course the Revenue Commissioners are staffed by civil servants.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Fiery mutant

paddy147 wrote: »
    Anyone remember the postal strike in 1979.

Posties all went out on strike for 20 WEEKS.

Bring those days back, the unions go all out on strike,and see how much balls FG and Labour have then.

They will run a fcuking mile,I can tell you that.

Thats whats needed now..stick it to FG and Labour.

Let the posties go on strike. Their job is almost redundant now anyway, all my mail these days comes with an e before it.

We should defend our way of life to an extent that any attempt on it is crushed, so that any adversary will never make such an attempt in the future.

You're having a laugh, right?

So you didn't know about CP1 then.

KCC wrote: »
    Ever heard of Croke Park 1? The pain has been taken. Our arses are red raw.

Croke Park kept increments and all the allowances. I fear you are exaggerating.

Private sector has shed 200,000 jobs through mostly involuntary redundancy.

How many involuntary PS redundancies? How many PS employees went from 50k plus to €188 a week?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Still, great to see that little creep Howlins' attempt to sway the votes with his threats backfire on him.

Maybe he should consider his position. Presuming that the concept is not totally unknown to an irish minister

SB2013 wrote: »
    So you didn't know about CP1 then.

I know it protected PS interests to the detriment of the rest of society. Is there more we need to know?

HondaSami wrote: »
    The PS have taken some of the pain all ready or did you miss that ?

How many pay cuts do you think the PS should take before it's enough for you?

We need a third round of benchmarking, to bring PS in line with equivalent private sector salaries, taking full account of PS pensions and all other allowances / perks etc.

daveyeh wrote: »

Can't wait to see. It will definitely finish them if they legislate for it but they will also have to follow through on their threats. I also can't wait to see how the Union leaders will react.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

Your bias shines through like a beacon.
    I'd say you'd hardly share the footpath with them while "moving on together".

reality has been protected from the public service for to long. Thats my opinion. Theres over 400k unemployed on our tiny island need i say any more.

Advertisement