Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Croke Park deal to fail

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,524 ✭✭✭✭kippy

OCorcrainn wrote: »
    Did you read my post? Public sector workers, are not eligible AT ALL.

U 100 percent sure they are any different than any other worker in the same position? Post 95 public sector pay a full stamp......

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,444 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Sounds much like the rest of us who get outsourced, thrown out as soon as moron from jobbridge turns up or subcontracted out of a job.

And tell me, are you ok with that? If that started happening to your job, would you simply stand by and go "Ah, that's grand, I've no problem with that"?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭cosbloodymick

Maybe there will be compulsory redundancies as a result of this no vote. If so then they would have to pay redundancy and the dole.
    I will be first to volunteer to go if this happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭schnitzelEater

MMAGirl wrote: »
    Well who else was going to be taking the cuts in CP2?

Must have been you then, because nobody else was getting them but the PS.

Sure myself and everyone I know bar the PS has had raises over the last few years.

No increments then?

You live a sheltered life if you don't know anyone who has been made redundant. Another example of blinkered PS.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 805 ✭✭✭SB2013

Maybe there will be compulsory redundancies as a result of this no vote. If so then they would have to pay redundancy and the dole.
    I will be first to volunteer to go if this happens.

it will be a race I reckon

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,007 ✭✭✭Phill Ewinn

And tell me, are you ok with that? If that started happening to your job, would you simply stand by and go "Ah, that's grand, I've no problem with that"?

What do you mean "if".

Fine, "When".

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

government will need to cut or they will loss more credibility with the public they have done nothing they said they would. the bank debt is far from solved

Rubbish. Me Fein attitude is alive and well I see.

Ironic is ironic. Let someone else take the pain, eh?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 428 ✭✭OCorcrainn

What do you mean "if".

If you are going to answer my question.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 805 ✭✭✭SB2013

No increments then?

You live a sheltered life if you don't know anyone who has been made redundant. Another example of blinkered PS.

Those increments are real cash cows. Had one tow years ago and i get another one in three years. That's the end of them for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,007 ✭✭✭Phill Ewinn

Fine, "When".

Happened a few times now. What do I do? Go back to the agency and wait for something. Few more months of work is better than complaining to an employer you could be working for again in a years time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,897 ✭✭✭Means Of Escape

Gmol wrote: »
    serious question what is the alternative? Forget about the bank debt, we are overspending on our day to day costs of running the country. It's either raise taxes or reduce spending

Abolish Seanad,hit PS senior level workers earning over 100k,tax betting,farm out hardened criminals to Columbia and San Salvador for half the price ,fast track the introduction of National Identity cards and police it's use effectively,cut social welfare benefits ,reduce the number of TDs by 30 percent and no I vouched expenses allowed for the remainder,reduce the price of petrol to encourage travel,reduce the numbers of grants in all sectors,limit the fees charged by solicitors for tribunals,reduce the motorway tolls,develop centralised receipt system for all businesses,deport immigrants who commit murder,police the airports and arriving passengers and their documents more thoroughly the list is endless
    The examples of wanton waste over the past decade by the leading parties to top all this is beyond belief.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭Phoebas

Sure myself and everyone I know bar the PS has had raises over the last few years.
    Seriously? You don't know any private sector worker who has taken a pay cut, or lost their job or even has had their wages remain static?

You are living in a bubble.

Don't forget to sack the entire Department of Finance and Central Bank as they are not fit for purpose and fell asleep at the wheel.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,404 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Bring on the strikes etc...will save even more money as they won't have to pay for the down time...win win.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,037 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

syklops wrote: »
    Shame Margaret Thatcher died. We could use her now on the unions.

no thanks, our boys and girls in the unions are vital to protect the interests of our boys and girls in the public service, they must be able to do whatever they can to protect the workers at all costs

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

Happened a few times now. What do I do? Go back to the agency and wait for something. Few more months of work is better than complaining to an employer you could be working for again in a years time.

So you don't fight for your position? You don't want to see the best for your chosen profession? You don't fight for the best living you can provide yourself? And what if the agency told you that you'd never get a position in your chosen field again? Would you simply accept that without arguing your case and doing everything possible? You just give up?

That's the big problem in Ireland I find sometimes. People come online and moan about politicians making their lives tougher, being unfair, being useless, but do nothing about it. The public sector is actually in a position to do something about the poor job the government are doing, and suddenly everyone is on the side of the government. Do people not realise that a decline in standards and conditions for teachers, Gardai, nurses. Doctors et al means a decline in standards and conditions for the public? That, a lot of times, such strikes and votes are in the best interest of the public, if not in the short term then definitely in the long run?

No. Easier to moan about people who are actually doing something about declining standards and conditions and actually trying to take action against the government. Easier to expect us to not just bend over and take it, but be happy about it, and ask for more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Mick ah wrote: »
    Nobody wants to be cut.

But if you have no money, what's the alternative? Borrow to pay wages?

And what about those who use their wages to pay for their houses and families? Should we just say fcuk them and watch even more people hit the poverty line?

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭MMAGirl

Phoebas wrote: »
    Seriously? You don't know any private sector worker who has taken a pay cut, or lost their job or even has had their wages remain static?

You are living in a bubble.

What's redundancy got to do with it. Anyone I know who was made redundant got a nice payout and walked into another job. They were actually better off. Sorry cant say I know anyone but ps workers who got pay cuts.
    I think you are living in a bubble tbh if
    you expect ps workers to lose money INSTEAD of you. I'm sure they would be happy to lose an equal amount to you, but oh no, you want them to pay while you don't.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 663 ✭✭✭space_man

who said turkeys don't vote for Christmas!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

smash wrote: »
    And what about those who use their wages to pay for their houses and families? Should we just say fcuk them and watch even more people hit the poverty line?

thats a pyrimad scheme there

What's redundancy got to do with it. Anyone I know who was made redundant got a nice payout and walked into another job. They were actually better off. Sorry cant say I know anyone but ps workers who got pay cuts.
    you expect ps workers to lose money INSTEAD of you. I'm sure they would be happy to lose an equal amount to you, but oh no, you want them to pay while you don't.

We spend too much on PS. We need to cut back. Simples. We don't need to raise more taxes, we raise enough taxes.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,404 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Surely the most ridiculous post of the thread so far??

• Registered Users Posts: 10,795 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

nolow wrote: »
    Yes and after you complete the annual assessment you get your increment. Don't try and tell me it's peformance based!

Meanwhile in the real world everybody else has been enduring levies and tax increases, pay cuts, short time working and redundancy and they're not too worried about pension cuts and promotions because they either have none or they lost their job anyway. As for career breaks well they're available alright, permanent ones.

I'm sorry but your post highlights exactly how out of touch with reality so many people working in the PS are. What should have happened was all round pay cuts, increased working hours and redeployment or redundancy in large parts of the sector. But here you are whining about your pension and career breaks. Away from the PS, you job would be on the line and with it your house.

Seriously get a grip.

I personally am sick of reading whiny stories from people earning €65k a year about how difficult it is to make ends meet.

Far too many PS workers simply haven't grasped the reality out there. The money isn't there any more.

Ya we all earn over €65K a year do some research might be good. I am personally on €28,503 before tax a year but hell lets not let facts get in your way. Google is a great thing use it.

I agree that something has to be done with the PS. The goverment want us the ordinary workers to be in parity with the europe but when in come to there wages they would turn a blind eye. Do you honestly think cutting our wages will be all rosy or we were the reason for the economic woes? I know a lot of people who voted NO simple because why would you vote for your own cuts. If they are going to impose cuts then let them do it themselves.

road_high wrote: »
    Surely the most ridiculous post of the thread so far??

Not far off it.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

So everyone you know who was made redundant simply 'walked' into another job and I presume they got a payrise as well I suppose? I've seen some BS on boards in my time but you take the biscuit!

You fail to realise that PS workers are paid by the state and the state can't afford the bill. What private companies pay their employees is of no concern to the state.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,795 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

syklops wrote: »
    Shame Margaret Thatcher died. We could use her now on the unions.

She tackled private unions not the public ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭tails_naf

HondaSami wrote: »
    Not everyone in the PS earns €65, there is a huge amount of low paid workers and these are the ones who have and will suffer the most.
    Far too many people think all PS workers earn **** loads of money, they don't.

Well we constantly hear that the PS have taken a 14% cut on average, but to be cut by that much you have to be making around 65k.

So which is it - avg 14% and 65k, or lower %cut and wage. It can't be both

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭squod

Don't forget to sack the entire Department of Finance and Central Bank as they are not fit for purpose and fell asleep at the wheel.

Didn't fall asleep. Knew well what they were doing.

Advertisement