Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Croke Park deal to fail

Options

Comments

true wrote: »
    The RIAI say that architects in the public service are paid more than DOUBLE the average private sector architect gets now. Not surprising when so many architects are out of work. Many in the private sector have lost their jobs, and I know of some who have lost their pensions : none in the public service have lost their jobs or pension earnings. You cannot argue architects or quantity surveyors or cleaners or security personnel or admin staff are as high paid in the private sector as in the public sector.

if the government did not squander money on public service pay and pensions, like above, it wqould not have to introduce taxes like the property tax, which will take in much less by comparison.

If the above is true which I doubt coming from you I wouldn't see the problem. If private sector architects don't have work on of course they are not going to be earning money but public sector architects do have work, they work and are paid a salary. Why should we use the earnings of someone who does not have a continuous stream of work as the bench mark for what someone who works constantly earns.

You can be sure that a private sector architect still earns much more per hour for the hours he/she does work than a public sector one. They also earned an absolute fortune in the boom while public sector architects still only got their salary, why didn't they all go to work for the public sector when they were earning the bucks in the private sector?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭Uriel.

the state pension is too generous , its not the states job to ensure that old people get to live in luxury anymore than its the states job to ensure unemployed people live in luxury , if you desire this , invest in a private pension

Yeah you see, that's all well and good if you are starting life off now or in the first half of your career. But working through the 1960s and 1970s etc..were a different kettle of fish.

It's alright to talk about pension schemes and private investments now, but we're talking about people who worked in times where a lot of folks didn't have bank accounts, didn't complete basic education, worked in environments where Health and Safety wasn't a concern etc...

You're looking back thinking that the majority of today's pensioners grew up in a time of paying their mortgage on the expresso bus with a free banking app on their smartphone. Quite frankly you haven't bothered to think beyond the rudimentary on the matter to be perfectly hoenst

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 28 lower_league

Uriel. wrote: »
    Yeah you see, that's all well and good if you are starting life off now or in the first half of your career. But working through the 1960s and 1970s etc..were a different kettle of fish.

It's alright to talk about pension schemes and private investments now, but we're talking about people who worked in times where a lot of folks didn't have bank accounts, didn't complete basic education, worked in environments where Health and Safety wasn't a concern etc...

You're looking back thinking that the majority of today's pensioners grew up in a time of paying their mortgage on the expresso bus with a free banking app on their smartphone. Quite frankly you haven't bothered to think beyond the rudimentary on the matter to be perfectly hoenst

it would be nice to be able to keep paying huge tribute to the greatest generation for their great feats of the past but unfortunatley the state is broke

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭true

but public sector architects do have work, they work and are paid a salary.
    Its like the planners in the planning department. Neither has much work on now but they srtill get paid a huge amount of money, much more than the going rate. As said before, if the government did not squander money on public service pay and pensions, like above, it wqould not have to introduce taxes like the property tax, which will take in much less by comparison

• Registered Users Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭Odysseus

the state pension is too generous , its not the states job to ensure that old people get to live in luxury anymore than its the states job to ensure unemployed people live in luxury , if you desire this , invest in a private pension

219e is allowing them to live in luxury. If that is luxury I would hate to see your poverty.

The unemployed people I see every day are not living in luxery either.

What is this standard of luxury and can you show it appling to most or even a significant amount of either group?

• Advertisement

Odysseus wrote: »
    219e is allowing them to live in luxury. If that is luxury I would hate to see your poverty.

What is this standard of luxury and can you show it appling to most or even a significant amount of either group?

if your reliant on charity , anything along with the basics is luxury in my book , you dont need 219 per week to buy food , energy and phone costs are subsidised heavily

If the above is true which I doubt coming from you I wouldn't see the problem. If private sector architects don't have work on of course they are not going to be earning money but public sector architects do have work, they work and are paid a salary. Why should we use the earnings of someone who does not have a continuous stream of work as the bench mark for what someone who works constantly earns.

You can be sure that a private sector architect still earns much more per hour for the hours he/she does work than a public sector one. They also earned an absolute fortune in the boom while public sector architects still only got their salary, why didn't they all go to work for the public sector when they were earning the bucks in the private sector?

While I am not farmiliar with the ins and ours of the UK Civil Service, it doesn't appear to me that the Irish Civil Service has double they pay of our neighbours

http://www.civilservice.gov.uk/recruitment/working/pay-and-reward/scs-pay

http://www.prospects.ac.uk/civil_service_fast_streamer_salary.htm

compared to what the elderely get in LESS BANKRUPT countries - the ones who give us money - it is luxury. ........ 460 for a couple on the contributory and 438 for a couple on the non contributory is enough for some people to save on.

as someone else said, its not the states job to ensure that old people get to live in luxury anymore than its the states job to ensure unemployed people live in luxury , if you desire this , invest in a private pension

it would be nice to be able to keep paying huge tribute to the greatest generation for their great feats of the past but unfortunatley the state is broke

The state will then need to pick up the tab for increased health, care and possibly housing costs.

Might be cheaper all round to build a gas chamber for our aged population and march or wheel them all there?

compared to what the elderely get in LESS BANKRUPT countries - the ones who give us money - it is luxury. ........ 460 for a couple on the contributory and 438 for a couple on the non contributory is enough for some people to save on.

as someone else said, its not the states job to ensure that old people get to live in luxury anymore than its the states job to ensure unemployed people live in luxury , if you desire this , invest in a private pension

can you send me any links to private pension plan portfolios circa 1959?

Cheers, I'd like to see them for historical interest reasons

• Advertisement

The state will then need to pick up the tab for increased health, care and possibly housing costs.

Might be cheaper all round to build a gas chamber for our aged population and march or wheel them all there?
    just so that public servants here can continue to earn double what UK public servants get?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/economics/7036131/Record-gap-between-public-and-private-sector-pay.html

if your reliant on charity , anything along with the basics is luxury in my book , you dont need 219 per week to buy food , energy and phone costs are subsidised heavily

Well thankfully for those groups your book is not a page turner.

Tough luck on the state these people deserve what they are getting after struggling through hard times and now when they have bit of comfort in their old age you want to take it of them. What a scummy thing to suggest.
    Its like the planners in the planning department. Neither has much work on now but they srtill get paid a huge amount of money, much more than the going rate. As said before, if the government did not squander money on public service pay and pensions, like above, it wqould not have to introduce taxes like the property tax, which will take in much less by comparison

Prove they don't have much work on.

While I am not farmiliar with the ins and ours of the UK Civil Service, it doesn't appear to me that the Irish Civil Service has double they pay of our neighbours

average public sector pay in UK is £ 23.6k a year

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/economics/7036131/Record-gap-between-public-and-private-sector-pay.html

you,ve eliminated yourself from serious debate with that naff last paragraph

just so that public servants here can continue to earn double what UK public servants get?

What is this, seriously?

You talk about OAP payments, then deflect it to Public Servant wages...in a DIFFERENT country? Seriously, you're all over the place.

Please show me the luxury these groups are living in? Plus show how it applies to a significant amount of both groups?

Just because you state they live in luxury it does not mean they are.

ask what construction work the local authority is doing in your area:D

Tough luck on the state these people deserve what they are getting after struggling through hard times and now when they have bit of comfort in their old age you want to take it of them. What a scummy thing to suggest.

no guarentee people in their thirties today wont suffer twice as much as todays pensioners did in the sixties but like i said , it wont save them from the economic realitys of the pension time bomb which is coming down the line

fairness ( which is entirely subjective anyhow ) has nothing to do with it

you,ve eliminated yourself from serious debate with that naff last paragraph

what serious debate? give me something serious to work with and we can have a serious debate? pfft if your serious debate is stretching to why should we look after our elderly, they should have invested in a private pension in the 1960's, then you can keep your "serious" debate

• Advertisement

what serious debate? give me something serious to work with and we can have a serious debate? pfft if your serious debate is stretching to why should we look after our elderly, they should have invested in a private pension in the 1960's, then you can keep your "serious" debate

no problem in looking after the elderly , what we do here is spoil them for political reward

Please show me the luxury these groups are living in?

luxury is relative. What our pensions get is a pittance compared to what our public servants get, but both are much higher than in other countries.

Which is totally irrelevant its another country who cares what they do.

Which is totally irrelevant its another country who cares what they do.

who cares what the public servants in derry and down, devon and dusseldorf get as they are other countries:rolleyes:

like many public servants you exude the intellectual capacity of a selfish baby

ask what construction work the local authority is doing in your area:D

Plenty of projects on going. Road improvements and new roads, roundabout removal and replacment, bridges being rebuilt and bridge maintenance etc etc.

luxury is relative.

You are the one who stated that those groups live in luxury. It was your point

Plenty of projects on going. Road improvements and new roads, roundabout removal and replacment, bridges being rebuilt and bridge maintenance etc etc.

for the amount of public sector engineers, f**k all. As they will tell you themselves, the government has no money for new projects now. But shure they look busy for a few hours a day anyway. When you come back to ballymagash from Dubai you will see it all. :D

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

quite pleased it was rejected, they were getting off lightly. greedy gits

who cares what the public servants in derry and down, devon and dusseldorf get as they are other countries:rolleyes:

Yes its irrelevant, the figures are also being massaged by people here using it as a reason to reduce wages. For instance I know my sister nursed in London for a while recently and was paid more than she was earning here on the same increment.

• Advertisement

How is he being selfish? :confused:

Advertisement