Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTE & the property tax

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,857 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

For Paws wrote: »
    And where was the 'sympathy vote' in the bye-election to fill the popular Brian Lenihan Jnr's seat in 2011, won by Labour's Pat Nulty?

Popular?

You have a laugh?

One of the traitors who destroyed this country. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭Phoebas

smash wrote: »
    Tired of this line being thrown out there. It's a complete bullsh!t tax.
    Do you think its not a legal tax?

Zebra3 wrote: »
    Popular?

There is no doubt that he was popular.
    http://www.electionsireland.org/result.cfm?election=2007&cons=112
    http://www.electionsireland.org/result.cfm?election=2011&cons=112

Wasn't he the only Dublin FF TD elected in 2011?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

For Paws wrote: »
    Curious.

It has become almost standard practice in most countries that mid-term by-elections are lost by the sitting Goverment.

Yet the only by-election held since the last General Election in 2011 was won by FG.

And where was the 'sympathy vote' in the bye-election to fill the popular Brian Lenihan Jnr's seat in 2011, won by Labour's Pat Nulty ?
    Note; Brian Lenihan Jnr was elected in a bye-election to fill the seat held until his death by Brian Lenihan Snr.

You have to go back to December 1970 to find Fianna Fail winning a bye-election where the seat was / had been held by a non-FF TD.
    (Not counting Neil Blaney IFF losing to Cecelia Keaveney FF)
    Patrick Delap in Donegal-Leitrim (as was). Delap failed to hold his seat in the following General Election.

Ok.

Who do you think they would have put forward for the election if Mr McEntee did not have children to put up for the seat.?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

paddy147 wrote: »
    A 0.1 % tax on financial transactions would make more money for this country than a 100% complient property tax would.

And it would sit alot better with people than a unfair/unjust property tax that will skyrocket after 2016.

it would damage what little banking we have left here and seriously p1ss off companies, .1% is small for a joe soap, but for larger transactions that seriously adds up and makes Ireland awful unappealing.

The tax is here to stay, the sooner people suck it up and accept this, the sooner everyone can move on, everyone here is an amateur economist these days, its comical the solutions they spew out like this, the only thing they all have in common is that it reduces the amount the poster ever has to pay

• Advertisement

it would damage what little banking we have left here and seriously p1ss off companies, .1% is small for a joe soap, but for larger transactions that seriously adds up and makes Ireland awful unappealing.

The tax is here to stay, the sooner people suck it up and accept this, the sooner everyone can move on, everyone here is an amateur economist these days, its comical the solutions they spew out like this, the only thing they all have in common is that it reduces the amount the poster ever has to pay

Did I read on this thread you were renting?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

SamHall wrote: »
    Did I read on this thread you were renting?

Really? Are you having trouble articulating a counter argument that you are trying to imply that if the tax is not relevant to me my opinion isn't valid?

Really? Are you having trouble articulating a counter argument that you are trying to imply that if the tax is not relevant to me my opinion isn't valid?

No not at all.

But it's a bit rich to tell people to 'suck it up', if you won't have to.

No not at all.

But it's a bit rich to tell people to 'suck it up', if you won't have to.

there's alot of things people need to suck up at the moment, and the property tax will effect renters with their rent, landlords will be passing the losses down the food chain

there's alot of things people need to suck up at the moment, and the property tax will effect renters with their rent, landlords will be passing the losses down the food chain

Some will indeed suck it up, of that I have no doubt.
    Others will gladly pay it.

Then there are those that will rightly question the morality of paying a yearly tax on something they've already paid tens of thousands of stamp duty on already.

They'll question what the money will be used for.

They'll question why in these harsh austerity times, in a country that is quite literally on its knees, our politicians aren't leading by example and cutting their own salaries by a meaningful amount. (Enda is the third highest paid leader in the whole of the EU)

These people will not willingly pay the tax. The more that refuse to toe the line, the higher the possibility that the tax will be defeated.

For clarify and transparency, I finally got my letter from revenue yesterday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭TPD

I got a letter to my parents house looking for me to pay the tax as the homeowner. Don't know how they got the idea that the house is mine. I just ignored it, as the option to inform them that I wasn't the homeowner involved giving over my parents PPS numbers. Slimy tactics I think.

Will they try and take this out of my wages so?

TPD wrote: »
    I got a letter to my parents house looking for me to pay the tax as the homeowner. Don't know how they got the idea that the house is mine. I just ignored it, as the option to inform them that I wasn't the homeowner involved giving over my parents PPS numbers. Slimy tactics I think.

They will take it from you if you don't tell them that you aren't the owner.
    The Revenue official running the project was on a radio a few week ago and answered this very question.

• Site Banned Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭MilanPan!c

darkhorse wrote: »
    If this is true, Sully, then why would they not have Ben Gilroy on Prime Time before the ME by-election?

Why not have Jim Corr or David Icke?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭TPD

Phoebas wrote: »
    They will take it from you if you don't tell them that you aren't the owner.
    The Revenue official running the project was on a radio a few week ago and answered this very question.

Well that sucks. Any way I can get them to back off me without turning in my folks?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,676 ✭✭✭flutered

mike65 wrote: »
    You will, even if the social have to take it 20 euro a week from your Dole (if you are on the dole.

interestingly enough they cannot leave one with less than €186, so not many on the dole will not be hit.

flutered wrote: »
    interestingly enough they cannot leave one with less than €186, so not many on the dole will not be hit.

they should hold back mortgage relief until its paid

they should hold back mortgage relief until its paid

That's an excellent idea.

The homeowner would then face a choice of paying the lpt or paying the mortgage.

Well that sucks. Any way I can get them to back off me without turning in my folks?
    I presume you can tell them that you aren't the property owner, but refuse to tell them who is.

They will be hit.
    The tax will just accumulate with interest and penalties and collected eventually (e.g. when the person come off the dole).
    If someone is on the dole, they would be better off applying for a deferral; they still pay interest but at a lower level.

Everyone will eventually pay, the only choice is how much interest and penalties they pay on top.

The homeowner would then face a choice of paying the lpt or paying the mortgage.
    Well it would be a bit of a contradiction for as homeowner to want to receive mortgage interest relief from the state while refusing to pay their taxes to the state.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

Anyone listening to RTE News this morning?

Architect of the IMF says Ireland should have burned the bond holders.

We had too much austerity imposed on us,and the austerity is not working and killing us off.

http://www.rte.ie/news/business/2013/0411/380836-too-much-austerity-in-bailout-imf-mission-chief/

Makes for interesting listening...and then when you see why people cant pay or dont want to pay the property tax.

yeah well if they dont want to pay tax, they shouldnt receive benefits. The government job isnt to clean up the messes of peoples finances, somehow they have ended up doing that, but thats another thread

Phoebas wrote: »
    Well it would be a bit of a contradiction for as homeowner to want to receive mortgage interest relief from the state while refusing to pay their taxes to the state.

Being unable to pay, and refusing is two different things.

Also, I pay all others taxes to the state. This one is a tax too far.

If they'd like to refund the stamp duty I paid in 06 well then I'll consider it.

In the mean time, I'll bide my time.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

yeah well if they dont want to pay tax, they shouldnt receive benefits. The government job isnt to clean up the messes of peoples finances, somehow they have ended up doing that, but thats another thread

The govermant are not cleaning up anything at all.

They are cleaning out peoples pockets though.

Taking more and more money out of peoples pockets...yet still paying billions to some Germans every few months.

The banks are still getting away with murder too.

You can understand peoples fury at this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭darkhorse

My next door neighbour got a letter one day last week, and his wife got a letter the next day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭darkhorse

MilanPan!c wrote: »
    Why not have Jim Corr or David Icke?

Ya got me there. I did'nt know that either of those two launched a political party, or that either of them were running in the ME by-election.

• Site Banned Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭MilanPan!c

darkhorse wrote: »
    Ya got me there. I did'nt know that either of those two launched a political party, or that either of them were running in the ME by-election.

You realise the conman Ben supports has written articles with Corr, in the same freeman newspaper which has interviewed Ben?

A vote for Ben is a vote for those sorts of nutters.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭Am Chile

To my knowledge with the recent budget and the property tax legistration-the revenue will be allowed to deduct up to 15% out of a persons social welfare or single parents allowance per week.

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭daveyeh

noodler wrote: »
    Its funny, everyone (and I mean EVERYONE) who is a PAYE worker in this State is paying 264 euro more in PRSI in 2013 compared to 2012 due to the abolition of the weekly allowance.

Yet this is more than the average half-year property tax payment due in 2013.

The difference in the amount of debate, anger, claims of poormouthing etc etc is staggering.

People are stupid.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭daveyeh

Dont for get all this money is going straight to Germany.

So what, its their money bailing the country out.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement