Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTE & the property tax

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭Le_Dieux

Phoebas wrote: »
    It gets converted to a €200 property tax in about 10 weeks.

You should pay the original €100 plus the €30 penalty to avoid this.

Thats not what you said in post #45.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,783 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

SamHall wrote: »
    Bar changin the locks, that sounds like something a common robber would do tbh..:eek:

Most 'Common scumbags' I've ever heard stories about always "went back after the owners left the gaff".

True bill.

It's the sort of thing which could happen in any country. Like this example from Northern Ireland.

http://www.nidirect.gov.uk/what-happens-if-i-don-t-pay-my-rates

What happens if I don't pay my rates?

Land & Property Services (LPS) is responsible for the collection of rates. Payment of rates is a legal obligation. Find out what measures are available to LPS to recover unpaid rates.

If you don't pay your rates

If you do not pay your rates or contact LPS to make an arrangement to clear your account, you will be taken to court. This will mean:
    •additional costs
    •your credit rating could be affected, and as a result you may not be able to apply for credit or a loan
    •you could be made bankrupt
    your home could be repossessed

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

Bar changin the locks, that sounds like something a common robber would do tbh..:eek:

Most 'Common scumbags' I've ever heard stories about always "went back after the owners left the gaff".

True bill.

getting sidetracked a bit on this topic, man borrows money to buy house, man fails to meet contractual payments to send lender, lender takes asset bought with loaned money... at least now he doesnt have to worry bout paying the property tax :pac::pac::pac:

paddy147 wrote: »
    Since comming to power....has Enda Kenny ever commented on his mid 1990a speech over people not paying a property tax,and now demanding that we all pay a property tax.

And I dont mean the usual wandering off coarse bullsh!t.

Has he ever commented on why he said that we should pay a tax,back in the 90s????

As far as I know he hasn't. But then Fianna Fail have never said why they were against it in 1977 and now they are for it. Or are they? Who knows. And Sinn Fein have never said why they are for it where they are in power but against it where they are not in power.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭Phoebas

Le_Dieux wrote: »
    Thats not what you said in post #45.

Eh, it is.
    All of those unpaid €100 household charges are automatically converted to a €200 local property tax.
    I just didn't mention the actual date of the conversion.

Anyway, pay your taxes and avoid further penalties.

• Advertisement

Eh, it is.

I just didn't mention the actual date of the conversion.

Anyway, pay your taxes and avoid further penalties.

Correct which makes your claim wrong.

Anyhow, I'm not interested in your instruction. I have made my decision, they can come and do whatever, I'll end up in the Joy or wherever. Also not worried as I have no intention of selling my house anytime soon. I asked one question on starting this thread. You obviously have nailed your colours to FG...well, i'm NOT! All I was wondering the way that interview went was everyone paying the PT?

I have made my decision, they can come and do whatever, I'll end up in the Joy or wherever.
    How will you end up in the Joy? They'll just take the money off you.
    Also not worried as I have no intention of selling my house anytime soon.
    You're mixing the LPT up with the HHC. They won't wait 'till you sell your house to collect.

Have you had the letter yet?

How will you end up in the Joy? They'll just take the money off you.

You're mixing the LPT up with the HHC. They won't wait 'till you sell your house to collect.

Have you had the letter yet?

I am self employed, but on the ropes. I have nothing, so have no idea how to take something from nothing.

Anyhow, am not here to explain my circumstances with you. I asked a question, guess by the responses you are giving you are not in the same camp as myself So we have nothing to discuss.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 165 ✭✭Doublelime

The property tax is 1.8% of the value of your home. The government will send people around estimating how valuable your property is. They will over estimate as they will want more tax from you. You can avoid paying the property tax by burning your house down, selling all of your properties or demolishing you property.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

Doublelime wrote: »
    The property tax is 1.8% of the value of your home. The government will send people around estimating how valuable your property is. They will over estimate as they will want more tax from you. You can avoid paying the property tax by burning your house down, selling all of your properties or demolishing you property.

Its all totally fcuked up and no one knows how much their home is worth as prices are still falling.

The goverment and revenue have really fcuked it all up and how they have gone about it.

• Advertisement

I am self employed, but on the ropes. I have nothing, so have no idea how to take something from nothing.
    You might be as well off to apply for the deferral option.
    Putting your head on the sand and pretending that they somehow won't take it from you is only going to lead to strife.
    Anyhow, am not here to explain my circumstances with you. I asked a question, guess by the responses you are giving you are not in the same camp as myself So we have nothing to discuss.
    You only have discussions with people in the same 'camp' as you? That explains how you're so badly informed.

You might be as well off to apply for the deferral option.
    Putting your head on the sand and pretending that they somehow won't take it from you is only going to lead to strife.

You only have discussions with people in the same 'camp' as you? That explains how you're so badly informed.

Wrong....again. I have no problem having a discussion with someone from the other side. But, I asked a question when starting this thread. I DON'T need people telling me to pay this, pay that.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,313 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Its funny, everyone (and I mean EVERYONE) who is a PAYE worker in this State is paying 264 euro more in PRSI in 2013 compared to 2012 due to the abolition of the weekly allowance.

Yet this is more than the average half-year property tax payment due in 2013.

The difference in the amount of debate, anger, claims of poormouthing etc etc is staggering.

A 0.1 % tax on financial transactions would make more money for this country than a 100% complient property tax would.

And it would sit alot better with people than a unfair/unjust property tax that will skyrocket after 2016.

And dont say that it wont skyrocket,because it will.

They wont make it any cheaper,thats for fcuking well sure.

Wrong....again. I have no problem having a discussion with someone from the other side. But, I asked a question when starting this thread. I DON'T need people telling me to pay this, pay that.
    But it is good advice. The LPT isn't going away.
    If you let it build up you could find yourself in real financial trouble.

All of the TDs who have come out against it will pay it, to get their tax clearance certs.
    Self employed people who need certs to apply for public tenders will be paying up early. Even if the current government don't make it to term, the next government aren't going to scrap it, let alone scrap it retrospectively.

The sensible choice is to pay it or apply for a deferral. It isn't going away y'know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭darkhorse

mike65 wrote: »
    Pfffffft! They are not going to do any such thing. If they leave now they will be punished more than FG.

What has E.G. to lose by bringing down the government, and why should he worry about being punished, as he has secured a Tanaiste's pension, has he not?

darkhorse wrote: »
    What has E.G. to lose by bringing down the government, and why should he worry about being punished, as he has secured a Tanaiste's pension, has he not?
    An even bigger pension.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

A few worthy notes...

1) What bias is there? RTE can't be be pro or against. They just present the information and the facts. They can organise a debate on the issue on programmes like Prime Time but that's about it. The same applies to TV3 and any other broadcaster.

2) Labour are not pulling out and are nowhere near it. Childers leaving came as no surprise seeing as she effectively resigned ages ago and has a history of resignations. So the few folk that left won't rock the boat.

3) The Property Tax was a Labour & Fianna Fail policy.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,973 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

Those that paid have brought shame on our country and are going to encourage the Government to just keep at it, another tax this year another tax the year after, the Government are wrong and its up to the people to show them this, sure half of you that are for this tax are probably just renting anyway so it does not effect you. Shocking. Dont for get all this money is going straight to Germany, it wont be used by CC for ****.

Doublelime wrote: »

Its 0.18% for houses worth under €1 million. Your idea of burning the house is not an original one. There is a poster here who said he was going to burn his house down. That was some time back so it may have happened already.

• Advertisement

Those that paid have brought shame on our country and are going to encourage the Government to just keep at it, another tax this year another tax the year after, the Government are wrong and its up to the people to show them this, sure half of you that are for this tax are probably just renting anyway so it does not effect you. Shocking. Dont for get all this money is going straight to Germany, it wont be used by CC for ****.

No that's wrong. It will be used to pay for Child Benefit. Other money will be going to Germany and they will be sending us money as well.

Sully wrote: »
    A few worthy notes...

1) What bias is there? RTE can't be be pro or against. They just present the information and the facts. They can organise a debate on the issue on programmes like Prime Time but that's about it. The same applies to TV3 and any other broadcaster.

2) Labour are not pulling out and are nowhere near it. Childers leaving came as no surprise seeing as she effectively resigned ages ago and has a history of resignations. So the few folk that left won't rock the boat.

3) The Property Tax was a Labour & Fianna Fail policy.

Source? Agree on Childers, but for me EG should be more worried about who is still on the inside - namely Keaveney. Also for me, how gilmore treeated Róisín Shortall was disgraceful! Voters won't forget these things!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Source? Agree on Childers, but for me EG should be more worried about who is still on the inside - namely Keaveney. Also for me, how gilmore treeated Róisín Shortall was disgraceful! Voters won't forget these things!

Source? General Election, 2011. Labour will get absolutely hammered if they pull out and they know it. Nobody really wants them to pull out, just change their approach in the coalition. Labour will be hoping the economy and jobs recovers in the next three years to give them a bounce back.

Labour are a weak party and they are blaming Fine Gael for their own comedy of errors. Note that Fine Gael have remained steady, but Labour TDs are dropping like flies? People will remember that also when it comes to voting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

Source? General Election, 2011. Labour will get absolutely hammered if they pull out and they know it. Nobody really wants them to pull out, just change their approach in the coalition. Labour will be hoping the economy and jobs recovers in the next three years to give them a bounce back.

Labour are a weak party and they are blaming Fine Gael for their own comedy of errors. Note that Fine Gael have remained steady, but Labour TDs are dropping like flies? People will remember that also when it comes to voting.

FG aren't holding steady though.

They recently got overtaken by FF as the most popular party in Ireland. I think the recent election in Meath showed how vulnerable they are. They didn't exactly trounce FF at the poll, they probably Rode on the sympathy vote on that one mind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭darkhorse

A few worthy notes...

1) What bias is there? RTE can't be be pro or against.

If this is true, Sully, then why would they not have Ben Gilroy on Prime Time before the ME by-election?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,857 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

We're all in this together aren't we, Edna?

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/enda-kenny-is-still-third-bestpaid-leader-in-the-eu-28953402.html

:rolleyes:

The thoughts of that slimeball looking for more money off hardpressed punters so as to ensure financial gamblers don't have to lose out. :mad:

Traitor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 812 ✭✭✭For Paws

FG aren't holding steady though.

They recently got overtaken by FF as the most popular party in Ireland. I think the recent election in Meath showed how vulnerable they are. They didn't exactly trounce FF at the poll, they probably Rode on the sympathy vote on that one mind.

Curious.

It has become almost standard practice in most countries that mid-term by-elections are lost by the sitting Goverment.

Yet the only by-election held since the last General Election in 2011 was won by FG.

And where was the 'sympathy vote' in the bye-election to fill the popular Brian Lenihan Jnr's seat in 2011, won by Labour's Pat Nulty ?
    Note; Brian Lenihan Jnr was elected in a bye-election to fill the seat held until his death by Brian Lenihan Snr.

You have to go back to December 1970 to find Fianna Fail winning a bye-election where the seat was / had been held by a non-FF TD.
    (Not counting Neil Blaney IFF losing to Cecelia Keaveney FF)
    Patrick Delap in Donegal-Leitrim (as was). Delap failed to hold his seat in the following General Election.

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭ArseLtd

The idea of "borrowing" legal tender is madness when the government can print its own debt free money to serve the people as was meant in the US and Irish constitutions. The current system benefits the big bankers who charge usurious interest rates on money which is now widely known to come from thin air. That's why there's so many taxes, to pay back this debt.

"And Jesus went into the temple of God, and cast out all of them who sold and bought in the temple, and overthrew the tables of the moneychangers, and the seats of them that sold doves, And said unto them, It is written, My house shall be called the house of prayer; but ye have made it a den of thieves."
    —Matthew 21:12-13

The moneychangers will have to be cast out again it seems

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

What's there to be one sided about?

It's a legal tax, pay it. Simples.

Tired of this line being thrown out there. It's a complete bullsh!t tax.

• Advertisement

Zebra3 wrote: »
    We're all in this together aren't we, Edna?

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/enda-kenny-is-still-third-bestpaid-leader-in-the-eu-28953402.html

:rolleyes:

The thoughts of that slimeball looking for more money off hardpressed punters so as to ensure financial gamblers don't have to lose out. :mad:

Traitor.

Edna????

Well maybe so...seen as he crys like a girl.:pac::pac::D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement