Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Peaky Blinders - BBC

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

Really good episode.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,776 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

John dead, Michael not?
    What do ye think?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 4,312 Mod ✭✭✭✭TherapyBoy

Yeah, sounds about right. It's always nice to be surprised though!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭marvin80

John dead, Michael not?
    What do ye think?

I reckon the same

• Registered Users Posts: 10,179 ✭✭✭✭DvB

John dead, Michael not?
    What do ye think?

Odds on IMO.
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭ellejay

I saw an article in the DM yesterday (I know I know!!!) about the original Peaky Blinders and two of the pictures looked the image of John and Arthur.

Couldn't believe Arthur and his hair, looks very different.
    Somehow, I reckon Linda will end up as a top shooter for them.
    She's fiercely loyal and protective.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

ellejay wrote: »
    I saw an article in the DM yesterday (I know I know!!!) about the original Peaky Blinders and two of the pictures looked the image of John and Arthur.

Couldn't believe Arthur and his hair, looks very different.
    Somehow, I reckon Linda will end up as a top shooter for them.
    She's fiercely loyal and protective.

I saw that too. That's something I like about the DM, their off the wall quirky side stories. I always find something really interesting when I scroll through the website.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 326 ✭✭mikeysmith

how dumb was that ,to send out black cards and warn the enemy you're coming

nothing in the links ties in with the black hand cards in the plot

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭marvin80

mikeysmith wrote: »
    Maybe it shows their arrogance - "not alone are we going to kill you but we're telling you we're going to kill you and there's nothing you ca do about it". Now if they send the cards, turned up and were all killed on the spot then you'd be saying it's a stupid thing to do!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,752 ✭✭✭johnpatrick81

nothing in the links ties in with the black hand cards in the plot

I’m on the phone but both clearly do.

where does it say the black card is a death notice,seems more to do with extortion...looks like artistic licence for the purpose of drama imo

Oftentimes a threatening letter and a coal-blackened handprint on a victim’s door did the trick. Kidnapping, murder, arson and dynamite were other calling cards of this malevolent organization.

From link 1^

From link 2-

Typical Black Hand tactics involved sending a letter to a victim threatening bodily harm, kidnapping, arson, or murder.

Need I go on?!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,776 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

TherapyBoy wrote: »
    Yeah, sounds about right. It's always nice to be surprised though!
    marvin80 wrote: »
    I reckon the same
    DvB wrote: »
    Odds on IMO.

Seems to be what most people think alright. Had it pointed out to me that it was John that started the war between the Changrettas and the Blinders originally so it's somewhat fitting.

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭Belt

Is episode 1 Season 4 being repeated before episode 2 airs next week?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,859 ✭✭✭De Bhál

Overall a pretty good episode last night.

From the beginning I found it a bit of a stretch to believe the mafia hit squad wouldn't have finished off the job at the farm.

Also bit heavy on artistic shots,
    • Tommy in the nude looking out the window
    • close up of his eye
    • Close up of his eye
    • zoom in a bit closer on his eye
    • more eye
    • close up of a cigarette
    • more eye
    • get into a bath.

FFS if he had just got in and had the bath and stopped exposing himself to the street he would have had time to wash himself.

also close ups of Polly, getting tired of her by now.

The scene with the the pair making the christmas dinner and talking about potatoes, that was cringy stuff.

I thought Aidan Gillen was good.

Enjoyable episode given its main function was to set up the players contesting the remainder of the season (though we've yet to see Tom Hardy)
    But for some reason I'm not taking to Adrien Brody at all. He's coming across as a bit of a pantomime Marlon Brando or something... for a guy thats won an oscar he's hamming this up big time and for me its not working.

What would he have done if tommy had a second gun hidden away? Bit of a silly strategy to expose himself the way he did for a self titled 'professional' IMO. But sure, we'd have no story if that was the case but found it a tad ironic.
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

Mafia tradition. Originated with the Camorra in Campania.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_Hand_(extortion)

Not sure about Gillians character yet.

The Trade Union woman is becoming a bit of a pain.

Happy to see the posh horse lady from season 2 (?) back.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭Jamiekelly

Just caught up with the series and sweet jesus I knew from early in season 1 that Polly was going to be hard to watch. By season 3 it got so bad I basically knew I didn't even need to pay attention to her scenes anymore. The painting scene and her confession to the priest were cringe inducing plotholes I couldn't overlook. Predictable and below par for any show, let alone one with a cast like this.

The quicker she gets the chop the better. The writers should have done themselves a favour and had her killed at the start of season 4 instead of John.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

Jamiekelly wrote: »
    Just caught up with the series and sweet jesus I knew from early in season 1 that Polly was going to be hard to watch. By season 3 it got so bad I basically knew I didn't even need to pay attention to her scenes anymore. The painting scene and her confession to the priest were cringe inducing plotholes I couldn't overlook. Predictable and below par for any show, let alone one with a cast like this.

The quicker she gets the chop the better. The writers should have done themselves a favour and had her killed at the start of season 4 instead of John.

Ya she’s very annoying. Tommy should just tell her to f*ck off but for someone reason he thinks he needs her.

Not sure about Gillians character yet.

The Trade Union woman is becoming a bit of a pain.

Happy to see the posh horse lady from season 2 (?) back.

I was disappointed Tommy didn't get with her season 3.
    Think 6 episodes are way too little for all they could do.

De Bhál wrote: »
    • close up of his eye
    • Close up of his eye
    • get into a bath.

I have to admit I really enjoyed that scene......!!

I'm only 20 minutes into episode 2 but it's pretty tame stuff so far

All drama and no plot

Yep it was a big drop in quality.

Totally agreed with everyone on Polly, absolutely painful these days.

Also agreed on Brody disappointing so far. That scene at the end, we’re led to believe Tommy Shelby is the hardest man in England. Yet a guy who killed his brother the week before, and threatened him and his whole family and son before his very eyes is seemingly allowed to walk away without a struggle?

I don’t care if he hadn’t bullets, I’d have killed him with the butt of a gun or a pen or died trying.

Found it far too silly.

Charlie Murphy gonna do the same scene every week?!

Yeah, very disappointing episode.

From a logical standpoint how are they going to defeat the Mafia.

Like Brody said in the last episode our group is on a different dimension to yours.

A worlwide brotherhood with thousands of made members and associates. How are a glorified street gang like the Peaky Blinders going to defeat them ?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,925 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

From a logical standpoint how are they going to defeat the Mafia.

Like Brody said in the last episode our group is on a different dimension to yours.

A worlwide brotherhood with thousands of made members and associates. How are a glorified street gang like the Peaky Blinders going to defeat them ?

Cause the Mafia have to come through the ports, they don't have many Italians, as Polly said only trust those whose family you know

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭CiaranW

Hopefully the beginning of the end for Polly.
    Arthur's wife has completely done a character U turn which is odd.
    Loving the series.

• Advertisement

CiaranW wrote: »
    Hopefully the beginning of the end for Polly.

That was my first thought, but i'm starting to think that this is the very kind of ploy Tommy would come up with to entice the Italians into a trap.

Time will tell.

Adrien Brody is still awful in this though, I find him as a pantomime villain which is such a shame as every one else is on the top of their game.

Advertisement