Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Peaky Blinders - BBC

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Yeah really disappointed with Brody.

Looks the part and that's about it.

Although I suppose in fairness the character has also been hindered by terrible writing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 619 ✭✭✭NinetyTwoTeam

As soon as they introduced Charlie Murphy's character I knew she'd be riding Tommy by halfway through the season, lol she didn't give it up just yet. This season sucks so predictable, was obvious as well Polly would end up shagging the Aiden gillen character and that the Jew and Italian would be coming together.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,208 ✭✭✭✭DvB

Funnily enough the plot isn't bothering me that much, other than being a tad predictable (The planned double cross with Tommy & Polly for example) and some of the acting is superb, I think Cillian Murphy & Paul Anderson are giving their 'a' game, but its being undermined badly by Brody & the way the 'mob' is being represented... the background stuff re: the workers strikes & the attempted rise of the communist party is historically being handled pretty well... the whole mafia/italian thing is a mess though...

Its set up for the final episode, but with series 5 already having been commissioned & the main cast signed up its clear its only going to go one way.. hopefully it'll have a few twists yet though that aren't 'too' obvious.

For its faults, its still a step up from the awful mess that was season 3 & the Russian plot...
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

what a borefest that was

anyone else hoping the Shelby's get their comeuppance at the end ?

(whenever that may be)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 887 ✭✭✭Jobs OXO

Well that was a steaming pile o' dung

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,208 ✭✭✭✭DvB

I enjoyed it actually. Looking forward to season 5, shame its a 2 year wait though.
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Registered Users Posts: 1,320 ✭✭✭Brego888

That was crap and predictable. There was no way Arthur was dead. His death would have been given more credence in an episode or finished an entire season. Not just passed over in the first few minutes of an episode with no pay off.

What was the story with the Italians mother just landing over for a chin wag in the middle of a vendetta? Nonsense.

And why would Alfie betray Tommy when he just handed over his business anyway. More nonsense.

Its a beautifully shot show but the story lines have become so predictable. The Shelbys always look like they are down and out but no wait shocker, "Tommy had a plan all along"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 887 ✭✭✭Jobs OXO

Brego888 wrote: »
    That was crap and predictable. There was no way Arthur was dead. His death would have been given more credence in an episode or finished an entire season. Not just passed over in the first few minutes of an episode with no pay off.

What was the story with the Italians mother just landing over for a chin wag in the middle of a vendetta? Nonsense.

And why would Alfie betray Tommy when he just handed over his business anyway. More nonsense.

Its a beautifully shot show but the story lines have become so predictable. The Shelbys always look like they are down and out but no wait shocker, "Tommy had a plan all along"

It's like it's written by a committee of writers. It's incoherent. The plot is all over the shop

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭ellejay

Jobs OXO wrote: »
    It's like it's written by a committee of writers. It's incoherent. The plot is all over the shop

Good description.

Very disappointed with last night's episode.
    It's like they couldn't decide on which finale to use so worked them all in.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,891 ✭✭✭gifted

All over the shop...totally mixed up....endings were to simple...writers seem to take the easy route. A shame...a great series but latest episodes have too many holes...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

I don’t know anything about the peaky blinders? But is any of that stuff that happened in the last episode true, especially the part about him being elected?

fin12 wrote: »
    I don’t know anything about the peaky blinders? But is any of that stuff that happened in the last episode true, especially the part about him being elected?

No, it's all fiction.

There was however a gang known by that name around Birmingham in the late 1800s and early part of the 20th century.

Seemed to be mainly comprised of disorganised wayward youths. The series vastly exagerates the gang's underworld status of the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭guapos

Was hoping they'd go for a love/hate type of ending to the series.

Really well shot and great soundtrack but it's got boring now.

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭Noodles81

Series 3 showed cracks, and this series was a big disappointment. Brody was awful and Gillen under utilised. Don't know if I'd be bothered watching a fifth. Should have ended on a high note after 2nd series. Murphy, Anderson and Hardy were excellent as usual but plot was woeful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,752 ✭✭✭johnpatrick81

Count me out, although Charlie Murphy almost naked was a bonus :pac: Last 2 seasons were a mess.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

tommy talking in whispers really pisses me off

and as for arthur can't make head nor tail to what he's saying

have to switch on the subtitles half the time

fryup wrote: »
    tommy talking in whispers really pisses me off

and as for arthur can't make head nor tail to what he's saying

have to switch on the subtitles half the time
    Lol I've this problem also. I really struggle to understand Tommy when does that low mumble thing.

With Tom Hardy's character Alfie I get about every third word.

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭Dub Ste

I thought this series was awful.
    Hardy mumbled his way his scenes as usual.
    Brody was so cartoonish it was a joke.
    Gillen, well Gillen did what Gillen does, nothing.

The plot this time around was worse than the third series.

I loved this when it started, but I think thats me done with it.

On the plus side, the soundtrack was fantastic, really opened my ears to Nick Cave, for which I'll be forever grateful..

• Registered Users Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

I still think the third season was the worst, this season started off good but got pretty **** from the 4th episode on. Glad Tom Hardy’s character has been killed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭One_Of_Shanks

Loved the first two seasons. Third season was muck and this season was barely mediocre. Actually the final episode of this series was utter tripe.

Dont think I'll be watching any more if they bother making any more.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭Redo91

Finally got around to watching the series finale and have to say it was a bit of a disappointment.

Unless I've misunderstood it then Luca Changrettas mother was the one who arrived waving the white flag. How is an Italian-American supposed to have an English mother who just happened to know Tommy.

Also I think Alfie has survived. That bullet only grazed his cheek. Tommy should have finished him off.

The ending seemed a bit outrageous with him getting elected to parliament.

Redo91 wrote: »
    Finally got around to watching the series finale and have to say it was a bit of a disappointment.

Unless I've misunderstood it then Luca Changrettas mother was the one who arrived waving the white flag. How is an Italian-American supposed to have an English mother who just happened to know Tommy.

Also I think Alfie has survived. That bullet only grazed his cheek. Tommy should have finished him off.

The ending seemed a bit outrageous with him getting elected to parliament.
    Not to mention the fact that Luca would have been precluded from joing the mob in NY during this time. The 20s was the era of the 'moustache Petes'. Both of a prospective members parents had to be Italian, preferaby Sicilian for Cosa Nostra.

With the election I say it was rigged. Remember when Tommy goes to see the guy in Westminster? I think he offers them info on the commies in exhange for a seat.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,271 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Folks, thinking of starting this tonight.

Is it as good as everyone is saying?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,868 ✭✭✭De Bhál

NIMAN wrote: »

It's worth watching

• Registered Users Posts: 17,775 ✭✭✭✭bilston

I think it's great. I'm pretty puzzled by some of the opinions of series 4 from some here as I thought it was a return to form after a disappointing Season 3, but each to their own.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,320 ✭✭✭Brego888

bilston wrote: »
    I think it's great. I'm pretty puzzled by some of the opinions of series 4 from some here as I thought it was a return to form after a disappointing Season 3, but each to their own.

I actually enjoyed season 4. But the final episode was terrible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

I never thought it was as good as is often suggested. If you've watched something like Boardwalk Empire it is an incredibly poor relation.

It is entertaining though and the acting is pretty good, but for me it never really surpasses plain entertainment.

It's painfully predictable and tries to be really hard and gritty but never really succeeds in my opinion, it's almost like a gangster soap.

I almost gave up after season 3 but I also thought that season 4 was a massive improvement myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,672 ✭✭✭brian_t

• Registered Users Posts: 3,947 ✭✭✭trashcan

Am waaaay late to the party on this. Only started it last week, after meaning to do so for a while. (Was on a transatlantic flight and watched most of the first series on the plane.) Am on to the second series now on Netflix and enjoying it. As said already, Cillian Murphy and Sam Neill are terrific. On minor gripe is why all the IRA men are from Belfast. Surely things would have been run a lot more centrally from Dublin in those days ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,271 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I did enjoy it after finally getting round to it.

Thought a lot of the cast were excellent, and the soundtrack superb.

Advertisement