Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Peaky Blinders - BBC

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 85,730 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Sam Claflin, Anya Taylor-Joy, Brian Gleeson, Neil Maskell, Cosmo Jarvis, Emmett J Scanlan, Elliot Cowan and Kate Dickie join

Season 4 starts on RTE 2 on Tuesday

• Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭davo2001

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Season 4 starts on RTE 2 on Tuesday

You got me hopeful for a minute that this was the new season, it's not.

Season 4 originally aired in Nov 2017 on the BBC.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,162 ✭✭✭sonofenoch

Only just started watching this late night on BBC4 .....never payed attention to it before very impressed, don't know where they're at in the series but the 2 episodes I watched were their gang took over and were taken down in London (any clues to which series this it at?) ....anyway will probably now start from scratch online...................reminds me very much of Love/Hate in a different era

• Registered Users Posts: 6,672 ✭✭✭brian_t

sonofenoch wrote: »
    Only just started watching this late night on BBC4 .....never payed attention to it before very impressed, don't know where they're at in the series but the 2 episodes I watched were their gang took over and were taken down in London (any clues to which series this it at?) ....anyway will probably now start from scratch online...................reminds me very much of Love/Hate in a different era

According to DigiGuide the last three episodes of series two were on last night and the first three episodes of series three are on shortly.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,345 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

davo2001 wrote: »
    You got me hopeful for a minute that this was the new season, it's not.

Season 4 originally aired in Nov 2017 on the BBC.

New for RTE ;) but sorry to get you happy

• Registered Users Posts: 872 ✭✭✭El Duda

This show is proof that if you get the right look, the right cast and market it well, people won't notice how terrible the writing is.

I watched season 1, which was good. Then struggled through season 2 and binned it off.

Friends tell me that "season 4 is brilliant! You're missing out"

"Well I'll have to watch season 3 first, so I can catch up. How was season 3?"

"Oh, season 3 is the worst by far"

So I have to sit through two seasons of tripe to get to the 'good' season? I'm out.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,752 ✭✭✭Greyfox

El Duda wrote: »
    This show is proof that if you get the right look, the right cast and market it well, people won't notice how terrible the writing is.

Nonsense season 3 was really good and season 4 is amazing and the writing is mostly excellent, its one of the 15 best TV shows ever made.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,209 ✭✭✭✭DvB

Love it myself & really looking forward to season 5, I will go so far as to say season 3 was probbaly the one I enjoyed least but still enjoyed it. Wouldnt agree that the writing is poor, but one thing I've learnt over the years is that we all have differing opinions & likes & thats fine, if its not your cup of tea, move on & forget about it.
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,868 ✭✭✭De Bhál

trailer looks good.

I loved the show in the beginning but found it developed into more style over substance.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭Aisling(",)

I see Lizzie is being billed as Lizzie Shelby, did Tommy marry her after she had his daughter?

I'm drawing a blank and google isn't helping.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

I watched season 1, which was good. Then struggled through season 2 and binned it off.

So I have to sit through two seasons of tripe to get to the 'good' season? I'm out.

Season 4 was crap. The story was all over the place.

5th season starts on BBC 1 on Sunday August 25th at 9pm

• Registered Users Posts: 4,891 ✭✭✭gifted

Watched the first two episodes on BBC on Sunday and Monday ......really struggling to see what Polly brings to the show.......hope it doesn't turn out like last season (series 4).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭Stigura

Haven't seen it, yet. But, generally? Polly rockers jib! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 28,445 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

I never thought it was as good as is often suggested. If you've watched something like Boardwalk Empire it is an incredibly poor relation.

It is entertaining though and the acting is pretty good, but for me it never really surpasses plain entertainment.

It's painfully predictable and tries to be really hard and gritty but never really succeeds in my opinion, it's almost like a gangster soap.

I almost gave up after season 3 but I also thought that season 4 was a massive improvement myself.

fin12 wrote: »
    Season 4 was crap. The story was all over the place.

I think I disagree with almost every point of these three posts.
    Peaky Blinders is an excellent show, with great story lines, character development, script,acting, production values and style.

I love it.

There simply hasn't been a bad season and many critics agree.

Rotten Tomatoes ratings below:

Season 1 87% positive
    Season 2 100% positive
    Season 3 100% positive
    Season 4 90% positive

Those numbers are simply too high to be dismissed.
    gifted wrote: »
    Watched the first two episodes on BBC on Sunday and Monday ......really struggling to see what Polly brings to the show.......hope it doesn't turn out like last season (series 4).

Strange sentiment on a very strong character who has been central to many storylines.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Rodin

Loved episode 2.
    Will be happy to see the Billy Boys get their comeuppance

I love Johnny Dogs

When will they repeat last nights episode? I watched the first episode but again cause of poor writing couldn’t understand what was going on? The only thing I got was that Tommy sister is pregnant.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Iang87

When will they repeat last nights episode? I watched the first episode but again cause of poor writing couldn’t understand what was going on? The only thing I got was that Tommy sister is pregnant.

Poor writing or you simply didn't understand. I watched it and understood just fine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭Car99

Stick on subtitles when you watch it some stuff is easy missed with their accents and mumbling but subtitles misses nothing.

Thought the first episode was a bit slow, but to be fair it was really just a seaspn setting up episode, episode 2 though, jay-zus!! What a superb episode, had me on the edge of my seat the whole time & some of the scenes were shot incredibly well. Though the Billy Boys introduction was carried out well, and I'm already looking forward to that developing.

I have my suspicion who the rat in the family is,
    not a chance its Michael or Johnny Dogs, My moneys on John's Widow Esme, who certainly has a gripe with the family over John's death.

Either way the writing is so good it could go any way. Really looking forward to the remainder of the season.
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

so who planted the mines in the field around the scarecrow...the Billy Boys was it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭Car99

De Bhál wrote: »
    so who planted the mines in the field around the scarecrow...the Billy Boys was it?

Yes the Billy boys .

Car99 wrote: »
    Stick on subtitles when you watch it some stuff is easy missed with their accents and mumbling but subtitles misses nothing.

Thanks but I actually don’t know what’s going on more than not being able to make out what they are saying.

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭nannerby

Great start to the series love this show.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Sexual Chocolate

Not a bad start to the season. Tommy's paranoia I feel will be a big part of this season. I think his lack of trust in Michael goes back to the previous season and just seems to be getting worse as time goes on.

Not a bad start to the season. Tommy's paranoia I feel will be a big part of this season. I think his lack of trust in Michael goes back to the previous season and just seems to be getting worse as time goes on.

A few internet rumours out there suspecting Michael might may a run for control of the PB by having Tommy committed for mental issues. He's clearly suffering from PTSD from the war and back in those days the answer to stuff like that was pretty barbaric, lock them up in an asylum & carry out all kinds of awful treatments.

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭ollkiller

murpho999 wrote: »
    Peaky Blinders is an excellent show, with great story lines, character development, script,acting, production values and style.

I love it.

It's grand. What i would call a 7 out of 10 show. It's nowhere near as good as your sopranos and the like. The acting is very good in Peaky but it's let down terribly by the writing. In parts it's just awful. The production values and style are indeed very good.

• Advertisement

ollkiller wrote: »
    It's grand. What i would call a 7 out of 10 show. It's nowhere near as good as your sopranos and the like. The acting is very good in Peaky but it's let down terribly by the writing. In parts it's just awful. The production values and style are indeed very good.

yep, not anywhere near as good as Sopranos. Way too much dragged out artistic shots with background music for my liking.

In saying that a good start to this season. Arthur's looking a bit rough. Can see him killing his wife in a fit of cocaine rage at some stage.

Advertisement