Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Conor McGregor

Options

Comments

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

bad style matchup, bad weightclass, bad timing.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,724 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

Gumbi wrote: »
    There's no way Dana will let Conor fight a 170. It simply won't happen.

I hope not, will set Conor back a lot, shouldn't be fighting Sanchez at any weight

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭liverbear

Not a hope of him fighting at 170

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 554 ✭✭✭Thomas D

Another hilarious Bernard Dunne letdown in the making. All hype and no substance.

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Xlami

Like Barnatt accusing Conor of buying twitter followers on the mma hour today. Think luke should be looking a bit closer to home before making those acquisitions.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,132 ✭✭✭SRFC

all bullsh*t just to keep his name in the spotlight as if match ups get made on twitter absolute rubbish McGregor will be fighting some bum in Dublin guaranteed home win.

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Xlami

Luke Barnatt accusing Conor of buying twitter followers on the mma hour today. Think luke should be looking a bit closer to home before making those acquisitions.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,150 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Thomas D wrote: »
    Another hilarious Bernard Dunne letdown in the making. All hype and no substance.

You mean World Boxing Champion Bernard Dunne?

Nothing but posturing here. This fight will never happen at 170!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 554 ✭✭✭Thomas D

MrStuffins wrote: »
    You mean World Boxing Champion Bernard Dunne?

Nothing but posturing here. This fight will never happen at 170!

Hardly. He only ever boxed at home and got the home decisions. It was a nice little earner for all, bar when he had his arse handed to him.

Hardly. He only ever boxed at home and got the home decisions. It was a nice little earner for all, bar when he had his arse handed to him.

He won the WBA World Title with a stoppage. Nothing "home decision" about it.

Anyway, this is off topic. I get your point and I think Connor still has a lot to prove. I have a feeling he's going to fall short. I don't think he'll ever be World Champion. I hope i'm wrong however.

• Advertisement

Not to goo off topic,name one good fighter (bar probably rigondeax who holds it now) that has held that belt(WBA) dunne won? it just doesnt compare to the likes of the WBO belt.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭John_D80

SRFC wrote: »
    Not to goo off topic,name one good fighter (bar probably rigondeax who holds it now) that has held that belt(WBA) dunne won? it just doesnt compare to the likes of the WBO belt.

With respect, probably every fighter who has held that belt was good including Bernard Dunne. Very few would have been anywhere near the level required to be undisputed champions but they were all good in fairness.

On topic: Seems to me, even McGregor himself knows a fight with Sanchez is very unlikely to ever happen. And certainly will never happen at 170lbs in a million years.

He's no dope. Thanks to his ''feud'' with sanchez he is still probably one of the most googled UFC fighters despite the fact that he is still realistically only about half way through his injury recovery. If Mcgregor fires off a few tweets calling out top ten fighters in his division(s) he's keeping himself in the spotlight.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

This post has been deleted.

I like Dunne fair dues to him im not going to slate him hes achieved more in boxing than I and many others could dream of but the belt he won I personally dont rate it or its previous holders,were going off topic anyways.

On McGregor this twitter stuff is all publicity stunts its easy calling people out you know you wont be matched againt or very unlikely in the near future,he will be giving some chump on his comeback.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

I'm going to stick my head out here and say Connors starting to be a pain to read/listen to.At this point he's a attention whore.I say let him fight Diego that will shut him up for a while.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭dickwod1

dave1982 wrote: »
    I'm going to stick my head out here and say Connors starting to be a pain to read/listen to.At this point he's a attention whore.I say let him fight Diego that will shut him up for a while.

However there are plenty of attention whore junkies who lap it up, I suppose it depends on how much people google him and fb him and twitter him really

• Registered Users Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭unknown13

Dunne / Cordoba is the reason why Conor has a chance against Diego at 155 in the 02. Dunne would simply not have beaten Cordoba if that fight was not in a packed 02. The 02 gets so loud for competitive events and Conor I think would thrive off it if the fight was at 155.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭dickwod1

unknown13 wrote: »
    The 02 gets so loud for competitive events and Conor I think would thrive off it if the fight was at 155.

I can remember Dana White said something like - pound for pound probably one of the best arenas and best crowds we’ve ever been to - we done 21,000 in Montreal there was 9,300 here in dublin you'd swear there was 93,000

• Registered Users Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭unknown13

dickwod1 wrote: »
    I can remember Dana White said something like - pound for pound probably one of the best arenas and best crowds we’ve ever been to - we done 21,000 in Montreal there was 9,300 here in dublin you'd swear there was 93,000

and it took Conor Mc Gregor for the UFC to finally come back despite what Dana said.

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭Chewabacca

dave1982 wrote: »

100% agree. I don't even listen to his interviews anymore because he's starting to sound like a broken record. It's the same thing over and over again, cliche after cliche.

At least Chael was smashing top 5 opponents when he was calling out every fighter in the division. On top of that Chaels jokes were usually quite witty and genuinely funny. Connors just acting like a cocky teenager lately.

A serious question here, how do you guys think the casual fans who are hopping on the bandwagon would react if Connor lost in the O2? Would they immediately lose interest in him and the sport? For some reason I have a feeling it could all come crashing down on him if he loses. Hopefully I'm wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 36 DerpKehoe

Xlami wrote: »
    Like Barnatt accusing Conor of buying twitter followers on the mma hour today. Think luke should be looking a bit closer to home before making those acquisitions.
    Xlami wrote: »
    Luke Barnatt accusing Conor of buying twitter followers on the mma hour today. Think luke should be looking a bit closer to home before making those acquisitions.
    How did you make that mistake twice!
    Not an amazing fighter. Certainly not terrible. Who doesn't get home town decisions. Dunne was no legend but he is a hero.
    dickwod1 wrote: »
    Im all up for bigging ourselves up as a great crowd, as we are...

Dana White is a promoter. He isn't thinking who was loud, he is thinking where can I sell loads of tickets and a PPV.

Not in Ireland. He bigs us up like any other person would and people will lap it up. He remembers Ireland like he remembers a good dump. The odd time.

Sensational promoter to be fair to him.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 11,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. Manager

Kinda getting cringey reading some of this stuff. It's laughable to think he can have a crack at WW. It'll be ridiculous if this goes ahead. He has absolutely zero chance at making a run for that belt so making this fight is just stupid.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭Gumbi

Kinda getting cringey reading some of this stuff. It's laughable to think he can have a crack at WW. It'll be ridiculous if this goes ahead. He has absolutely zero chance at making a run for that belt so making this fight is just stupid.

It's not going to happen...

Gumbi wrote: »
    It's not going to happen...

I'm aware of that and that's what makes it worse imo

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭chrisbag1986

Why did they both agree to fight at WW? surely it should be LW. silly.

Unless Sanchez is fighting at ufc171 in March and then looking to fight 2 months again in Dublin and not have to cut to much weight back to back.

He is also silly picking fights & setting ones up when he is recovering from an ACL injury. I have recovered from one and have not been the same since. He might not even be ready or god forgive, what happens if he picks up another injury?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 536 ✭✭✭Ray Mond

There are some absolute idiots on this thread.
    First of all Conor wasasking for the fight at WW to show just how eager he is to fight Diego. We all know its not gonna happen at Ww.
    Seeing Diego asking for the fight at WW is a sign of him kinda realising that Conor would give him problems at LW.
    Why would Conor move up 2 weights ? Diego looking for an advantage there big time.

Back to these posters who havent a clue and talk absolute horse ****e.
    if u dont wanna listen to Conor any more or its starting to make u 'cringe' then go **** off. Nobody is asking u to read his twitter or look at his interviews. Do u think conor gives a bollox if u some idiot cares about the way he comes across. ? Hell ****ing no!

IMO Conor would beat diego . Diego is perfect for Conor comes forward and bangs. Conor would puck the face off him for 3 rounds or stop him.
    cant understand people thinking conor wouldn't have a chance.
    Have yous not seen a lot of his fights he takes so much punishment but gets praised for getting his face smashed in. I like his heart and hes a warrior but if the fight happens Ill be backing conor with my money.
    Diego is sloppy his boxing is **** and his head movement is non existent. He would come into the fight full of emotion and you know what happens when people fight emotionally. They make mistakes and get ****ed up.

One more thing before I get banned again. Cant see why peoole slate him in this. Hes single handedly brought Irish MMA into the spot light, hes a bigger name already after 2 fights than alot of top guys in the UFC. Would you jealous little poxes not just get behind your own? Only for Conor we wouldnt have an irish fighter in the ufc that actually has potential and skills to go to the top.

Ray Mond wrote: »
    First of all Conor wasasking for the fight at WW to show just how eager he is to fight Diego. We all know its not gonna happen at Ww.
    Seeing Diego asking for the fight at WW is a sign of him kinda realising that Conor would give him problems at LW.
    Why would Conor move up 2 weights ? Diego looking for an advantage there big time.

if u dont wanna listen to Conor any more or its starting to make u 'cringe' then go **** off. Nobody is asking u to read his twitter or look at his interviews. Do u think conor gives a bollox if u some idiot cares about the way he comes across. ? Hell ****ing no!

IMO Conor would beat diego . Diego is perfect for Conor comes forward and bangs. Conor would puck the face off him for 3 rounds or stop him.
    Have yous not seen a lot of his fights he takes so much punishment but gets praised for getting his face smashed in. I like his heart and hes a warrior but if the fight happens Ill be backing conor with my money.
    Diego is sloppy his boxing is **** and his head movement is non existent. He would come into the fight full of emotion and you know what happens when people fight emotionally. They make mistakes and get ****ed up.

One more thing before I get banned again. Cant see why peoole slate him in this. Hes single handedly brought Irish MMA into the spot light, hes a bigger name already after 2 fights than alot of top guys in the UFC. Would you jealous little poxes not just get behind your own? Only for Conor we wouldnt have an irish fighter in the ufc that actually has potential and skills to go to the top.

Dude, you always get your friendship with Conor get in the way of any sort of reasoned post or debate. Relax!

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭chrisbag1986

If Conor loses in Dublin, and you cheer.

RUN

Afternoon Conor.

• Advertisement

It's a bit hard to miss when he's being plastered all over the place with his hype antics.

Who is jealous? What does that even mean? Yea I'm happy he's made it into the UFC and happy he's made it big (so far).

You need to chill the fúck out and stop taking every negative comment about him as a personal attack on your mother.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement