Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Conor McGregor

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 554 ✭✭✭Thomas D

El Guapo! wrote: »
    Lads, knock it off now. I'm in work and on the phone but there will be cards handed out as soon as I get a chance.
    Any more personal abuse etc and there will be bans handed out.

Get back to work you clown.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 536 ✭✭✭Ray Mond

Thomas D wrote: »
    Get back to work you clown.

Wat an absolute Loser. Id say ur a broke little fat Cuuunt that lives with his mam.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,725 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

My dad could beat up your dad

• Registered Users Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭moneyman

Usually just lurk on this forum. However the last couple of pages are ridiculous from almost everyone involved. What takes the biscuit, though, is guys like Thomas D and gallag who genuinely believe they would stand a chance against McGregor. Talk about complete ignorance and delusion. Embarrassing stuff, lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,431 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

Some people are taking a few days off from this forum.
    Lads, keep it civil and stop the ridiculousness. Don't feed the trolls.
    I'd remind all members to use the report post function instead of getting dragged into silly arguments.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,130 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

darced wrote: »
    And anyone who thinks they could beat even a prelim UFC fighter.........well they win a special prize.
    Yeah but he is bigger than McGregor. Like actually bigger, in size.

There's no way that skill could over come size, ever. ;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭gallag

Mellor wrote: »
    Yeah but he is bigger than McGregor. Like actually bigger, in size.

There's no way that skill could over come size, ever. ;)

Why do they have weight classes? After a certain point it does not matter so much but size/strength is as important as skill, imagine an average HW vs a top 135lber, it would be a murder and who ever signed of on it in the commission would be jailed.

Certainly 20 years ago it was less important I.e a relatively small gracie dominating larger opponents but that's before people had a basic understanding of take down defence or sub defence, I would wager that one month's sub defence training Would have helped them guys back then, simple things like keeping your chin tucked to stop the RNC or not leave arms out. Gracie also had the benefit of wearing the gi for friction and to help with chokes.

Look am not being ridiculous here but a larger guy can give up a good bit of skill on a smaller guy, am not saying an average slob with no training will beat a smaller skilled man but it makes a massive difference. It's not even just about weight, there is also reach to consider, a 145lber will give up about 10-12" which is a massive disadvantage for the smaller man.

For me personally I think the difference between 145 and 155 is massive, if I was doing a days sparring with bj Penn I would be wanting to make sure I had my head gear on right lol and then after 175 weight is even less important but you have to admit these 135/145 boys are tiny, let's do a ridiculous comparison.

No1 135lber I think most would agree would be faber, imagine him against a poor LHW, not even a HW so faber vs tito ortiz, can't see anything other than ortiz byKO or brutal ground and pound.

There is probably a ratio that would work close enough for most cases I.e give up 20% skill but have a 40% weight and x amount reach advantage = <>.

Now do I actually believe I would beat Connor McGregor in a fight? No lol, I haven't stepped into the gym in over 5 years but from my experience sparing the smaller guys including some Irish champions I wouldn't have been exactly scarred to get into the ring with him, I was fighting fit @ 225lbs and would have about 10" reach advantage, I was never a good boxer and have more broken noses than fights though so using my ratio above taking account my weight and reach advantage he would still kick my ass haha. But I maintain weight is important and there are plenty of non - pro fighters out there who could whoop world champs who are 100lbs lighter than them.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,229 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Did you just say that Uriah Faber is the world's top 135lb fighter???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

DrPhilG wrote: »
    Did you just say that Uriah Faber is the world's top 135lb fighter???

"I think most would agree" is my favourite bit.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 135 ✭✭_oveless_

Just to weigh in on this size thing one of the best known flyweights in Ireland started on a +100kg guy a few years ago and was flung around like a rag doll, at a certain point size does matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,154 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

gallag wrote: »
    No1 135lber I think most would agree would be faber.......

i.asp_.gif

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 323 ✭✭hungry hippo 4

MrStuffins wrote: »
    My favorite irony is when people come onto an internet forum to talk sh*t about people on internet forums talking sh*t.

13,901 posts, wow :pac:

Thats a lot of ****e talking!

_oveless_ wrote: »
    Just to weigh in on this size thing one of the best known flyweights in Ireland started on a +100kg guy a few years ago and was flung around like a rag doll, at a certain point size does matter.
    Obviously. I don't think any reasonable person has suggested otherwise. I was laughing at the notion that "I'm bigger, of course I'd win"

gallag wrote: »
    Why do they have weight classes? After a certain point it does not matter so much but size/strength is as important as skill, imagine an average HW vs a top 135lber, it would be a murder and who ever signed of on it in the commission would be jailed.
    Of course it would. We aren't talking about average, or even below average fighters here.
    Certainly 20 years ago it was less important I.e a relatively small gracie dominating larger opponents but that's before people had a basic understanding of take down defence or sub defence, I would wager that one month's sub defence training Would have helped them guys back then, simple things like keeping your chin tucked to stop the RNC or not leave arms out.
    No it wouldn't have. They might not have made retarded mistakes, but they would have still be sub'd with some pretty straight forward stuff.
    They weren't all complete grappling novices either. Ken Shamrock had years of submission grappling behind him by UFC 1. He was already 4-0, all wins by submission.
    Gracie also had the benefit of wearing the gi for friction and to help with chokes.
    I've a feeling you said that before and were ridiculed.
    The gi is a advantage for the opponent. It gives the opponent more chokes than the wearer. A bit of friction verses there's grips everywhere for the other guy.

The advantage it gave Royce that Ken thought he was a karate guy with no ground game, and went for a sloppy heel hook. Royce passed and choked.
    Fairly stupid to not check Royce's style out, or even watch his first fight.
    Look am not being ridiculous here but a larger guy can give up a good bit of skill on a smaller guy, am not saying an average slob with no training will beat a smaller skilled man but it makes a massive difference.
    My post wasn't actually aimed at you. You mentioned sparring/rolling with guys 100lbs smaller. I was refering untrained, unskilled, (as you put it) average slobs. I was talking about "He's tiny, I'm 50lbs bigger, I'd crush him".

On a related note, a casual observer is probably over-estimating their weight advantage. Fighting at 145lbs, does not means weighing 145lbs. 50lbs is probably 30lbs in reality.
    No1 135lber I think most would agree would be faber, imagine him against a poor LHW, not even a HW so faber vs tito ortiz, can't see anything other than ortiz byKO or brutal ground and pound.

Faber is top 135er. Really?
    Don't let Renan here you say that.

235421-20111106-211742-640x360_large.jpg

Shit. You pissed him off now.

Barao.gif

...and why has Tito got to do with anything. I don;t think he's is boasting on random forums that he's flatten McGregor. We aren't talking about training guys here.

lol, We really have gone miles off topic, apologies, back to McGregor.
    Now do I actually believe I would beat Connor McGregor in a fight? No... would have about 10" reach advantage,
    Are you just guessing at 10". I'd be surprised if you did tbh.
    Conor has a huge reach for a 145er. Possibly the biggest in the division at 72". Sonnen, Belfort and Machida are all 74" - a mere 2" advantage.
    Obviously, I don't know your stats, but its unlikely you are built like Jones.
    But I maintain weight is important and there are plenty of non - pro fighters out there who could whoop world champs who are 100lbs lighter than them.
    Obviously weight is important. Especially with trained guys. You are arguing against a point nobody is making. Nobody with any sense would suggest it comes down to skill alone. The suggestion was that size conquers all. I'm sure you see the difference.

100lbs is a massive advantage, obviously.
    The post I was mocking wasn't talking about 100lbs bigger. It was 50, which as I said above is prob only really 30lbs. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 20,628 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

When did this place go full retard ???????
    What the hell happend them last 2 pages, the lunitics took over the asylum haha ,

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Xlami

When did this place go full retard ???????
    What the hell happend them last 2 pages, the lunitics took over the asylum haha ,

No such lunatics at Battlezone 10 last Saturday. Where were all the Dublin MMA experts/fanatics?

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭chrisbag1986

BOTH fighters should be trying to promote MMA, North and South of the border.

I think Norman has spoken very well on camera about Conor's comments.

In saying that, I think Conor wouldn't say that 'flag comment' now if asked. He knows he has a strong following and has to behave after his Rousey and Tate comment. Plus he is an idol in Ireland ( lets be honest )

Politics and flag debate should not be brought into sport. no matter what sport it is. Everyone has their own belief. Respect each other.

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭BeepBeep!

paulkelly.png

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭billy2012

??

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 599 ✭✭✭Ian Whelan

What does the picture mean? Was it an offensive tattoo? I will never forget seeing a guy fight in the National Basketball Arena with the most offensive tattoos I have ever seen on a human.

Reminded me of the other time a guy got a massive tattoo on his body representing his fight team.

It was Paul Kelly and his Wolfslair tattoo on his back. Of course, he fell out with them and did the above.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭Be like Nutella

It's prob just a reference to the SBG logo and the 'alive' training ethos in SBG and all the monkey references - monkey paw grip etc lots of monkey stuff for some reason
    which probably has something to do with the natural instincts of a gorilla to just swing donkey kong punches not usually represented by unrealistic one step techniques in classic martial arts self defense classes. Gorillas had great success in Pride in early 00's... which makes me think of the theory behind that south African combatives guy Rodney something who started came up with Crazy Monkey defense which is a straight forward instinctive realistic defense technique to counter a barrage of strikes which Rampage uses ... the main point is... there seems to be an unhealthy obsession with Apes at SBG which may require a visit from the ISPCA.. maybe you get a free monkey when you join, I hope you get a fee monkey when you join

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭thehairyone

Not a fan of tattoos at the best of times but lets hope he isnt basing his new tattoo too much on the SBG Gorilla. Its a pretty poor logo to be fair, needs to be updated badly.

Not a fan of tattoos at the best of times but lets hope he isnt basing his new tattoo too much on the SBG Gorilla. Its a pretty poor logo to be fair, needs to be updated badly.
    mcgregor-tweet-tattoo-3-420x500.png

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭Be like Nutella

lets hope he isnt basing his new tattoo too much on the SBG Gorilla. Its a pretty poor logo to be fair

says 'thehairyone' : )

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭chrisbag1986

Conor has said to Diego Sanchez that his next fight will be in Dublin. So I guess the date set in May is correct. Sanchez was due to fight in Dallas, but wants the fight with Conor now in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,628 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

I just can't see Conor beating the nightmare, His only losses have come aginst top off the food chain welter and light weights , Id go as far to say Hathaway is the only guy to beat him who wasn't top 5 in there division at the time,
    Plus first fight back after a serious injury and at light weight aginst a guy who fought in tuf as a middleweight ,
    I think the smart money is on the nightmare but id love to be wrong,

• Registered Users Posts: 7,725 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭Gumbi

There's no way Dana will let Conor fight a 170. It simply won't happen.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement