Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eir Fibre Rollout Mapping

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,345 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Wholesale map has been updated.

http://www.fibrerollout.ie/where-and-when/

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭Mightydrumming

''Fibre Build Commenced - Completion work is in progress'' If I see that one more time :eek: HOW LONG?????????? :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,704 ✭✭✭BandMember

There seems to be a fair bit of slippage in terms of timelines in the county I am looking at - a lot of the places that there were supposed to be live by May are still not live and either have a date towards the end of the summer or else just have "Autumn 2016" on them. I hope that this isn't a sign of things to come and they are waiting to see how their bid for the NBP goes.......which probably means that they will just leave a lot of it until then.... :(

• Registered Users Posts: 7 harkin1987

''Fibre Build Commenced - Completion work is in progress'' If I see that one more time :eek: HOW LONG?????????? :(

For me, in Donegal, it was 2 months after this first appeared if that helps.

harkin1987 wrote: »
    For me, in Donegal, it was 2 months after this first appeared if that helps.

We were told it was to be live last December, then June of last year. This year it was suppose to be in by last month :mad: Nothing but trouble from Eircom! We used to be on a 3MB package (Only got 1.7) and we were informed about 2/3 months ago that our line couldn't handle the 3MB package. They put us down to the 1MB package and this is the best we get :rolleyes:

The whole town is in up-roar over it, complete congestion every evening at about 5 until 9/10 PM and Eircom are refusing to upgrade the lines. Ridiculous!!

4489784928.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭Hococop

We were told it was to be live last December, then June of last year. This year it was suppose to be in by last month :mad: Nothing but trouble from Eircom! We used to be on a 3MB package (Only got 1.7) and we were informed about 2/3 months ago that our line couldn't handle the 3MB package. They put us down to the 1MB package and this is the best we get :rolleyes:

The whole town is in up-roar over it, complete congestion every evening at about 5 until 9/10 PM and Eircom are refusing to upgrade the lines. Ridiculous!!

4489784928.png

What's their reason, not enough people in the area?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭dbit

4489784928.png

I would not tolerate it , any 4 g services in the area , mount 4g antenna on roof and cut a deal with one of the 4g operators ? In macroom where i am i get faster on 4g than on the DF efiber solution from eircom ( By miles) ( I have been really surprised by the amount of 4g availablity in the cork area at least from Vodafone) getting around 66MB down and 25 MB up on the 4g - Work pay for it so i dont really care on the costings. Only getting 40/10 from eircom. @ 800 meters from exchange.

Hococop wrote: »
    What's their reason, not enough people in the area?

They have no reason what so ever, that's the frustrating part lol!

I'd say the loyalty team and tech support are sick of me at this stage, I've rang in about 20-30 times and I keep getting fobbed off to another eejit :mad:

Made a formal complaint to them along with other people in the town and were told 'We are currently not in the position to upgrade the lines'. Utter sh!te. Got onto comreg and they said they can't do anything, It's sickening to be paying 40/50 euro a month for a service not being provided.

It wouldn't make a difference if we switched to vodafone or sky etc.. because Eircom are leasing the lines to them ahhhhhh :confused:
    dbit wrote: »
    I would not tolerate it , any 4 g services in the area , mount 4g antenna on roof and cut a deal with one of the 4g operators ? In macroom where i am i get faster on 4g than on the DF efiber solution from eircom ( By miles) ( I have been really surprised by the amount of 4g availablity in the cork area at least from Vodafone) getting around 66MB down and 25 MB up on the 4g - Work pay for it so i dont really care on the costings. Only getting 40/10 from eircom. @ 800 meters from exchange.

That's what I'm thinking at the moment, either that or satellite :( The 4G is fantastic here, getting about 6-8 MB's on Vodafone Bill Pay!

We are not far from the exchange at all, when an engineer came out - He laughed when I showed him the speed we were getting. He said it's a 20 MB line that we are on and we're not far from the exchange. I said to him that I think it's because Eircom, Sky and Vodafone keep adding more and more customers onto the line and it's just not able to hold that amount and he said you hit the nail on the head. So even the engineers are saying the lines need to be upgraded :rolleyes:

Having a look at the map, 3 exchanges are in the process of being complete. One of them is about 10/20 feet away from us so hopefully they don't piss around to much longer!

• Registered Users Posts: 36,165 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Having a look at the map, 3 exchanges are in the process of being complete. One of them is about 10/20 feet away from us so hopefully they don't piss around to much longer!

What exchange code is it?

You're currently running over radio, when they run fibre into the town and link it up then your speed will stabilize over night.

ED E wrote: »
    What exchange code is it?

You're currently running over radio, when they run fibre into the town and link it up then your speed will stabilize over night.

BHR1_002 is the cabinet!

According to the engineer everything needed is in, all Eircom have to do is link it up. When they decide to do that, god only knows :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭jd

BHR1_002 is the exchange!

According to the engineer everything needed is in, all Eircom have to do is link it up. When they decide to do that, god only knows :rolleyes:

That's a cabinet, not an exchange. It links back to an exchange.

jd wrote: »
    That's a cabinet, not an exchange. It links back to an exchange.

Whoops! Thanks for that :)

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭Hibrasil

LND1_E01 (Lucan Exchange) fibre broadband VDSL cabinet earmarked to go live on 08-JUL-15 ......deadline looks like having been missed.:o

• Registered Users Posts: 8,798 ✭✭✭MiskyBoyy

Hibrasil wrote: »
    LND1_E01 (Lucan Exchange) fibre broadband VDSL cabinet earmarked to go live on 08-JUL-15 ......deadline looks like having been missed.:o

Have you asked your ISP to upgrade you to fibre?

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭Hibrasil

MiskyBoyy wrote: »
    Have you asked your ISP to upgrade you to fibre?

I did some time back and was asked to come back in 3 months time - I am considering going back to them in the morning with another request - even though any of the line tests i have done shows no change in line speeds or availability of eFibre

They dont "switch on" all service units at once or theres no way the installers could keep up, but if the fibre is in place chances are you're very close to going ready for order.

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭Azhrei

I would dearly love to find out just how we are wired up. We're in a built-up area and surrounded by eFibre cabinets, but the chances of our being connected to the only one that's close enough to us to provide that service is nil. We're right next to town but a full kilometre out from the local exchange. There's not even the merest hint of our being provided with the service any time soon - there is nothing on the map, and Eircom are their usual helpful selves when asking. Even using the line checker someone posted earlier, it shows our exchange code as "unknown". A friend living across the road just got upgraded this week.

Who's up for betting that when Siro gets here, there'll be something stopping us from getting that, too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭dbit

Azhrei wrote: »
    I would dearly love to find out just how we are wired up. We're in a built-up area and surrounded by eFibre cabinets, but the chances of our being connected to the only one that's close enough to us to provide that service is nil. We're right next to town but a full kilometre out from the local exchange. There's not even the merest hint of our being provided with the service any time soon - there is nothing on the map, and Eircom are their usual helpful selves when asking. Even using the line checker someone posted earlier, it shows our exchange code as "unknown". A friend living across the road just got upgraded this week.

Who's up for betting that when Siro gets here, there'll be something stopping us from getting that, too.

Very little can stop you getting siro once the fiber is passsing your street , its the esb ducting, its all clean and fat ducts loads a room for blowing the fiber.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Techspert

Your estate might be connected to an RSU, they are like mini-exchanges and are often not connected to the eFibre Cabs. Eircom are upgrading all RSUs on a phased basis, it could take two months or it could take more than a year, but it will happen. You could also be on a shared line, ask the local engineers when they are working in the area.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,200 ✭✭✭hots

Got my follow-up call from Vodafone saying that we finally do have Fibre! Hoorah you might think, sadly not. Apparently our fibre is only capable of providing 7Mb compared to our current 16Mb line. Anyone else heard of something like this? It's gone back to some team with Eircom to investigate and obviously I'm staying put on my current line, in fairness vf were very good about it, great customer service for once.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭deathtocaptcha

hots wrote: »
    Got my follow-up call from Vodafone saying that we finally do have Fibre! Hoorah you might think, sadly not. Apparently our fibre is only capable of providing 7Mb compared to our current 16Mb line. Anyone else heard of something like this? It's gone back to some team with Eircom to investigate and obviously I'm staying put on my current line, in fairness vf were very good about it, great customer service for once.

you could be too far away from your nearest cabinet to make fibre practical...

The direct fed "black spot" after 1400m or so.

They're most likely right with 7_1, maybe 12_1. That's life unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Techspert

How far are you from the fibre cabinet? 7Megs would put you at over 2km from the cab, unless there is another factor. Eircom are conducting limited trials in some rural locations to extend fibre cover out to 4km.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,200 ✭✭✭hots

you could be too far away from your nearest cabinet to make fibre practical...
    ED E wrote: »
    The direct fed "black spot" after 1400m or so.

They're most likely right with 7_1, maybe 12_1. That's life unfortunately.
    Techspert wrote: »
    How far are you from the fibre cabinet? 7Megs would put you at over 2km from the cab, unless there is another factor. Eircom are conducting limited trials in some rural locations to extend fibre cover out to 4km.

Thanks for the replies lads, I'm about 200m away from one and maybe 500m from another which makes no sense right? Middle of D5 if that helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭jd

I guess you are connected directly to the exchange. If/when vectoring is enabled at exchange vdsl racks your "attainables" should improve.

Thanks for the replies lads, I'm about 200m away from one and maybe 500m from another which makes no sense right? Middle of D5 if that helps.

Yeah you're df with 16 ADSL and 7 on 17a VDSL2, they match up close enogh. Look at where the _E01 "cabs" are, yours will be like 1600m by streets from you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,187 ✭✭✭MBSnr

Eircom are conducting limited trials in some rural locations to extend fibre cover out to 4km.

Have you any more info on this? My local exch just got enabled and of course my line check fails, as I'm at 2.5Km, although closer properties pass for 'fibre'.
    As the exch is ADSL1, those closer will notice some jump....

Has anyone any idea what approx speed you'd get from eVDSl at 500/1000/1500/2000m ?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Does this mean Eircom will eventually extend their eFibre to reach up to 4km from all cabinets? If so what sort of speeds could one expect from 2km up to 4km away? I thought eFibre can never work beyond 2km?

I am 1.8km from the nearest cabinet but not enabled, perhaps there is hope for me yet someday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,072 ✭✭✭mass_debater

Gonzo wrote: »
    Does this mean Eircom will eventually extend their eFibre to reach up to 4km from all cabinets? If so what sort of speeds could one expect from 2km up to 4km away? I thought eFibre can never work beyond 2km?

Doubtful from cabinets, more likely from an exchange that they'd install separate gear for far reach lines connected direct to the exchange. This would all need to be trialled and go to Comreg for approval

• Advertisement

Once again, false hope...

Now this is the 5th time we have been promised efibre in the town and NOTHING!!
    The lines are about to burst with the amount of people on them and in-turn, I'm getting .5/.4 down after 5PM in the evening.

''Apparently'' it will be finished in 6 weeks.

Is there anything the town can do to get them to move it along? I along with many other residents have contacted Comreg and they can't seem to do anything. Probably 40 or 50 formal complaints sent into Eircom and all come back with the same answer ''We are not in the position to upgrade them''?

Can we do anything as a town? :mad:

Advertisement