Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eir Fibre Rollout Mapping

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26 tubawaski

76544567 wrote: »
    I may be wrong but i don't think estates are getting ftth at the moment. I don't know though.

If it's fttc either your house can get it or it can't. If it can't don't expect any amount of asking Eircom to help even if you next door neighbour has it. It will fall on deaf ears.

I think estates do get ftth, there's a few estates in Sligo town that have it. But since I don't live in the town it might be different... I just don't get why small places where barely anyone live have Fibre yet there's no Fibre in my area where there is clear demand... I mean like 5 fairly decently sized estates and some individual houses too. I don't understand how eir plan the installs.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,505 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

tubawaski wrote: »
    How does it work for estates? And would they route the ftth cables underground at estates?

It'll probably be the same route as the existing copper, underground in the ducts or aerial on the poles.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,505 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

I think estates do get ftth, there's a few estates in Sligo town that have it. But since I don't live in the town it might be different... I just don't get why small places where barely anyone live have Fibre yet there's no Fibre in my area where there is clear demand... I mean like 5 fairly decently sized estates and some individual houses too. I don't understand how eir plan the installs.

There are 2 types of FTTH rollout the rural fibre routes (blue lines) and the 66 urban town plan - http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=102969779#post102969779, https://www.eir.ie/opencms/export/sites/default/.content/pdf/IR/news/eircom_Expands_Fibre_to_the_Home_Footprint_map.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭mikeecho

300,000 premises to be removed from BroadBand plan

Up to 300,000 homes to be removed from broadband plan (via @IrishTimes) http://www.irishtimes.com/business/technology/up-to-300-000-homes-to-be-removed-from-broadband-plan-1.3023872

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭loremolis

Anyone ever come across a website with a map of fiber on electricity lines?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

loremolis wrote: »
    Anyone ever come across a website with a map of fiber on electricity lines?

https://www.esb.ie/our-businesses/telecoms/national-network

ESB ring follows the HV grid. Its not all aerial but a chunk is.

mikeecho wrote: »
    300,000 premises to be removed from BroadBand plan

Up to 300,000 homes to be removed from broadband plan (via @IrishTimes) http://www.irishtimes.com/business/technology/up-to-300-000-homes-to-be-removed-from-broadband-plan-1.3023872

So another **** you to anyone expecting fibre to be ran in rural areas?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,999 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

ED E wrote: »
    https://www.esb.ie/our-businesses/telecoms/national-network

ESB ring follows the HV grid. Its not all aerial but a chunk is.
    M!Ck^ wrote: »
    So another **** you to anyone expecting fibre to be ran in rural areas?

Are you serious?

Are you serious?

Was deadly serious but missed that post :o

• Registered Users Posts: 2,311 ✭✭✭rob808

Are you serious?
    He kinda has a point it gona be hard for Enet and siro to do FTTH.Im wondering how would they do it, would they have to connect to eir network or how would it work?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,356 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

They are being removed because Eir have committed to doing them as part of their FTTH rollout (some are already done).

If there was a "**** you to rural areas" there would be no NBP to begin with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 949 ✭✭✭damienirel

marno21 wrote: »
    They are being removed because Eir have committed to doing them as part of their FTTH rollout (some are already done).

If there was a "**** you to rural areas" there would be no NBP to begin with.

It's a bit strange though - only some of those areas have been started and even less completed by Eir. So how can they(the government) take a private companies word? I'd watch this space very closely - I can see fu(k up after fu(k up where the government is concerned. The NBP map hasn't been updated in years and they drip feed the media, partial information or none at all for months.
    Plans and plans but no action. If they take the 300k out that eir are saying they will cover and eir don't deliver - what happens then? How can they hold a gun to Eir, they have no obligation unless they are signed into the NBP - which has not been decided. It all stinks, nothing new.

damienirel wrote: »
    It's a bit strange though - only some of those areas have been started and even less completed by Eir. So how can they(the government) take a private companies word? I'd watch this space very closely - I can see fu(k up after fu(k up where the government is concerned. The NBP map hasn't been updated in years and they drip feed the media, partial information or none at all for months.
    Plans and plans but no action. If they take the 300k out that eir are saying they will cover and eir don't deliver - what happens then? How can they hold a gun to Eir, they have no obligation unless they are signed into the NBP - which has not been decided. It all stinks, nothing new.

Eir have had to sign a commitment contract.
    We do not know the terms of this contract, but it would be a VERY odd event if the gov did not have severe penalties in that contract should eir fail to fulfil it in the time specified.

After all the whole NBP is affected by this contract, so the gov have every reason to ensure it is as tight as possible and have severe penalties.

I normally do not expect much from our politicians, but given the amount of time and money being spent on the NBP, it would be surprising, even to me, if the gov did not get a really tight contract for taking out 300K premises.

Eir have had to sign a commitment contract.
    We do not know the terms of this contract, but it would be a VERY odd event if the gov did not have severe penalties in that contract should eir fail to fulfil it in the time specified.

After all the whole NBP is affected by this contract, so the gov have every reason to ensure it is as tight as possible and have severe penalties.

I normally do not expect much from our politicians, but given the amount of time and money being spent on the NBP, it would be surprising, even to me, if the gov did not get a really tight contract for taking out 300K premises.

Okay commitment contract and Eir agreeing to it - stinks too, as I don't see what's in it for them nudge nudge wink wink!

Okay commitment contract and Eir agreeing to it - stinks too, as I don't see what's in it for them nudge nudge wink wink!

Not sure I understand what you mean ...... eir have been forced into signing the commitment contract if they want to take those 300k out of the NBP.
    Both sides of the contract win greatly with it signed.

eir have been forced into signing the commitment contract if they want to take those 300k out of the NBP

That 300k is the low hanging fruit in the early draft maps of the NBP, and in doing so it will raise all the other bidders prices for the revised map NBP contract, including Eirs. I think it's a dumb move and doesn't do anything to level the playing field for other bidders, it puts Eir at a distinct advantage.

That 300k is the low hanging fruit in the early draft maps of the NBP, and in doing so it will raise all the other bidders prices for the revised map NBP contract, including Eirs. I think it's a dumb move and doesn't do anything to level the playing field for other bidders, it puts Eir at a distinct advantage.

There is no choice.
    If a commercial entity is prepared to service those areas then the NBP cannot subsidise another (or the same) company for the same area.

Yes the individual cost of the remaining connections will rise, but it is also possible that the overall cost to the exchequer will not rise much at all, as the exchequer will not be subsidising 300K connections.
    It is even possible that the NBP cost will fall slightly!

There is no choice.
    If a commercial entity is prepared to service those areas then the NBP cannot subsidise another (or the same) company for the same area.

Yes the individual cost of the remaining connections will rise, but it is also possible that the overall cost to the exchequer will not rise much at all, as the exchequer will not be subsidising 300K connections.
    It is even possible that the NBP cost will fall slightly!

There is a choice. Get the bids out to tender faster - based on revised maps that only take out what Eir might have covered in the next 6 months. Basically not kicking the can down the road and not getting cosy with Eir.

There is a choice. Get the bids out to tender faster - based on revised maps that only take out what Eir might have covered in the next 6 months. Basically not kicking the can down the road and not getting cosy with Eir.

Attempting that would mean a EU court challenge and some years delay to the NBP. In the end Eir would win as they are prepared to service the area commercially.
    Is that what you really want?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,408 ✭✭✭chewed

I know I've posted this before but was looking for some hope... My town's FTTH date has been pushed out so many times now that it's saying Spring/Summer 2018. Is there any possibility that this date could be pushed forward???

Or am I being too optimistic?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭irishgrover

chewed wrote: »
    I know I've posted this before but was looking for some hope... My town's FTTH date has been pushed out so many times now that it's saying Spring/Summer 2018. Is there any possibility that this date could be pushed forward???

who knows, it might happen. However I'm not aware of Eir / OpenEir ever doing anything at all ever, within their published dates.... they are very good at pushing dates out, and not meeting commitments, and frustrating the ****e out of people...so honestly I would not be too optimistic..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,408 ✭✭✭chewed

who knows, it might happen. However I'm not aware of Eir / OpenEir ever doing anything at all ever, within their published dates.... they are very good at pushing dates out, and not meeting commitments, and frustrating the ****e out of people...so honestly I would not be too optimistic..

No, I'm not holding out! :(

Attempting that would mean a EU court challenge and some years delay to the NBP. In the end Eir would win as they are prepared to service the area commercially.

Why a court challenge?

Why a court challenge?

It is contrary to EU regulations for governments to intervene and subsidise where a commercial enterprise (eir in this case) is active.

Eir would therefore have a very strong case to take to court.

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭mobil 222

At least 80% of housing estates have been cabled for FTTH in and around Sligo Town

• Registered Users Posts: 26 tubawaski

chewed wrote: »

Waaaay too optimistic, my area is for FTTH Spring/Summer 2018 too but it probably wont be until 2019 or later...

In light of the news today - I would think the EU court challenges will be coming from Siro and Enet. i.e the soft touch 300k intervention area for Eir is highly dubious without agreement from other bidders. i.e. my doubts about it have been confirmed. It's looking like a tangled mess and Dennis Naughton and his department aren't sorting it out by agreeing to $hite proposals like this.

In light of the news today - I would think the EU court challenges will be coming from Siro and Enet. i.e the soft touch 300k intervention area for Eir is highly dubious without agreement from other bidders. i.e. my doubts about it have been confirmed. It's looking like a tangled mess and Dennis Naughton and his department aren't sorting it out by agreeing to $hite proposals like this.

On what basis would Siro & Enet challenge the decision?
    What part of EU law would trump the requirement to not provide a subsidy for areas being serviced commercially?

Up to now, with eir doing a commercial roll out in the blue/yellow line areas, the gov had some wiggle room, because eir had not signed a commitment contract to fully service those areas. We can only hope the gov got a really solid contract.

With the contract signed and work commenced, I know of no way the gov can subsidise any other company in those areas.
    So those areas cannot be included in the NBP contracts.

I also see no basis for a challenge by the other two bidders.

So if you know on what basis the other two can mount a challenge I would be grateful if you would post it.

On what basis would Siro & Enet challenge the decision?
    What part of EU law would trump the requirement to not provide a subsidy for areas being serviced commercially?

Up to now, with eir doing a commercial roll out in the blue/yellow line areas, the gov had some wiggle room, because eir had not signed a commitment contract to fully service those areas. We can only hope the gov got a really solid contract.

With the contract signed and work commenced, I know of no way the gov can subsidise any other company in those areas.
    So those areas cannot be included in the NBP contracts.

I also see no basis for a challenge by the other two bidders.

So if you know on what basis the other two can mount a challenge I would be grateful if you would post it.

I'm no legal eagle - but I doubt if you are either, who knows?
    I view it as "Anti Competitive".
    And there is talk of legal challenges:
    http://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/government-risks-legal-action-over-broadband-plan-1.3035528

So why do you think making cosy agreements with one of the bidders before the tender is not worthy of legal challenges?

• Advertisement

I'm no legal eagle - but I doubt if you are either, who knows?
    I view it as "Anti Competitive".
    And there is talk of legal challenges:
    http://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/government-risks-legal-action-over-broadband-plan-1.3035528

So why do you think making cosy agreements with one of the bidders before the tender is not worthy of legal challenges?

From your link
    State intervention is also subject to State-aid clearance from the European Union. If the department had refused to accept Eir’s pledge to connect the 300,000, it could have fallen foul of EU state-aid rules, which forbid governments from subsidising an intervention if a private operator is willing to supply the same area on a commercial basis.

So on one hand we have EU regulations which are quite clear on the subject of intervention, and on the other hand we have some vague reference to possible legal challenge without any explanation on what that might be based.
    Without some information it seems like FUD.

Advertisement