Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eir rural FTTH thread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,793 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

knipex wrote: »
    Just had a look at their website and didn't see any reference to a signup fee.

So price wise Eir are the cheapest by about €3.75 per month. BUT I have no interest in a phone and as neither Pure nor Eir seem to be interested in offering broadband only Digiweb work out cheapest for me. (although I am sure they both have a package somewhere that works out the same price as Digiweb)

Eir do have broadband only but it's only searchable if your line is already passing for FTTH under broadband only. If your line is not passing for FTTH then you see DSL and FTTC broadband only offers.

Eir's Standalone FTTH Prices:
    They have discounts for the 300 and 1000 packages for the first year.

150 - 55 per month
    300 - 53 per month first 4 months then 63 for month 5-12
    1000 - 45 per month first 4 months then 75 for month 5-12

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,793 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Open Eir map is updated:

Dunshaughlin has 230 premises passed out of 570, although the area seems to be finished alot of lines are held back from going live for whatever reason, would explain why Marcel has not been able to order fibre yet.

just gone through the map, a significant jump in rural premises passed, a jump of almost 6,000 premises since last month. Still falling way short of the original 100,000 for end of March but a very welcome change to see the numbers improving. The Urban 66 towns rollout is almost at a standstill, barely changed in months, not surprised as FTTH isn't really in demand in built up areas with plenty of cheaper alternatives available that are still very fast. I may have missed a few places, it's getting increasingly very difficult to check the map as more places have to be checked.

Rural Blue Lines

Virginia – 670 / 750
    Carlingford – 530 / 570
    Ballyfarnan – 360 / 490
    Belcarra – 350 / 340
    Inverin – 610 / 690
    Athboy – 530 / 560
    Courtown – 860 / 870
    Killinick - 420 / 420
    Ballyboden – 230 / 250
    Rahan – 230 / 300
    Youghal – 320 / 330
    Dungloe – 590 / 600
    Ballyclough – 340 / 510
    Belclare – 360 / 510
    Turloughmore – 730 / 830
    Quigleys Point – 380 / 520
    Strandhill – 240 / 260
    Blessington – 100 / 350
    Duncannon – 350 / 420
    Crosshaven – 120 / 140
    Dunfanaghy - 540 / 600
    Ringaskiddy - 120 / 160
    Annascaul – 160 / 510
    Ballybrittas – 390 / 290
    Brittas Bay Bridge – 390 / 440
    Clarina – 80 / 480
    Newbridge – 100 / 300
    Rhode – 310 / 360
    Oranmore – 540 / 850
    Roslevin – 70 / ??
    Dunleer – 560 / 1110
    Curracloe – 540 / 530
    Cornamona – 110/ 100
    Kells – 140 / 590
    Coolboy – 210 / 220
    Blarney – 340 / 510
    Cornafulla – 300 / 360
    Kilmore Quay – 170 / 180
    Dunshaughlin – 230 / 570
    Horseleap – 90 / 120
    Portarlington – 460 / 260
    Rosslare Harbour – 120 / 410
    Broadway – 490 / 930
    Kilmuckridge – 460 / 510
    Robertstown – 350 / 1110
    Inch – 120 / 1210
    Rathowen – 30 / 230
    Cappawhite – 130 / 220
    Croom – 70 / 400
    Ballincollig – 130 / 450
    Dooradoyle – 110 / 360
    Castleconnell – 140 / 290

66 towns

Bray 160
    Greystones 1840
    Balbriggan 1070
    Drogheda 1850
    Dundalk 100
    Cavan 2180
    Monaghan 760
    Sligo 2810
    Letterkenny 5570
    Castlebar 1330
    Sandyford 2870
    Wexford 3970
    Douglas 840
    Carrigaline 1270
    Tralee 1950
    Ennis 1820
    Naas 3900
    Kilkenny 3840

Rural – 16,320
    Urban – 38,130

Exchanges launching soon:

Drumshanbo 15 March
    Hackballscross – 23 March
    Killybegs -29 march
    Moycullen – 29 March
    Wellington Bridge – 5th April
    Rathcoole – 5th April
    Whitegate – 5th April
    Athenry – 5th April
    knockcroughery – 5th April

• Registered Users Posts: 28 davis27

No engineer came back to me about a rescheduled date, i rang them and they came back and said there are no ports left at the exchange and someone will need to cancel there account with eircom before i can be made active. Some service sell a product thats not available.

Is this port located in one of the green cabinets that then feeds the black boxes on the poles??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭rob808

davis27 wrote: »
    No engineer came back to me about a rescheduled date, i rang them and they came back and said there are no ports left at the exchange and someone will need to cancel there account with eircom before i can be made active. Some service sell a product thats not available.

Is this port located in one of the green cabinets that then feeds the black boxes on the poles??
    It the exchange were the port is the cabinet is for FTTC. They probably have to upgrade the exchange to add more ports, it suck that happen to you hopefully you get sort out soon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

Kinvarra is getting close now. Driving around the town and it looks like the place has been fully passed with fiber cable. Just need to splice boxes etc done now.

Map got updated too, looks like FTTH will start arriving in about 2 weeks :)

Estimated date for first Live Fibre Services is 22 March 2017. Estimated date for first live FTTH with speeds up to 1000Mb/s is 05 Apr.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭banjopeter

Kinvara (Co. Galway) exchange is listed to go live on the 22nd March - Wednesday.

Kinvarra is getting close now. Driving around the town and it looks like the place has been fully passed with fiber cable. Just need to splice boxes etc done now.

Map got updated too, looks like FTTH will start arriving in about 2 weeks :)

Estimated date for first Live Fibre Services is 22 March 2017. Estimated date for first live FTTH with speeds up to 1000Mb/s is 05 Apr.
    Where did you get the 5th April date from Grumpy? (have just seen that its on the map!)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

banjopeter wrote: »
    Where did you get the 5th April date from Grumpy? (have just seen that its on the map!)

on this one http://fibrerollout.ie/where-and-when/

On the right hand side if you click the box "Fibre Build Commenced", it puts a dark green icon on the map. Hover over that and it gives the info 22nd March for FTTC, and 5th April now called out for FTTH. Up until this week FTTH just said spring/summer.

That is a positive. Even if it takes a few weeks to get the whole town done it is so close I can almost taste those juicy gb/s speeds :pac:

rob808 wrote: »
    It the exchange were the port is the cabinet is for FTTC. They probably have to upgrade the exchange to add more ports, it suck that happen to you hopefully you get sort out soon.

From what ive seen i cant seem the updating the fttc cabinet anytime soon. Eir are saying they have to take the order before they can check available ports if this is the case why are they selling eir extreme all over my neighbourhood when its not going to be available.

• Advertisement

Yes, they must have updated it today as it wasn't there earlier. Good news!

On the right hand side if you click the box "Fibre Build Commenced", it puts a dark green icon on the map. Hover over that and it gives the info 22nd March for FTTC, and 5th April now called out for FTTH. Up until this week FTTH just said spring/summer.

That is a positive. Even if it takes a few weeks to get the whole town done it is so close I can almost taste those juicy gb/s speeds :pac:

I missed out on the build commenced exchanges

more exchanges coming soon

Kinvara - 5th April
    Macroom West - 5th April
    Ballylooby - 22 March (FTTC)
    Rearcross - 5th April (FTTC)

it turns out my area isn't going live till 5th April either so will have to wait another 3 weeks for an install!.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

Just noticed that http://fibrerollout.ie/where-and-when/ has more detail in terms of the roads it follows in my area at least. It now shows entry into some housing estates. Anyone else seeing this?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭ratracer

I think that Kinvara exchange is only going live with FTTC within a 1.5km radius of the exchange for now, and the FTTH rollout won't happen until end of summer ( so probably next year).
    J Byrne had posted similar on his FB page a while back.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭MBSnr

ratracer wrote: »
    I think that Kinvara exchange is only going live with FTTC within a 1.5km radius of the exchange for now, and the FTTH rollout won't happen until end of summer ( so probably next year).
    J Byrne had posted similar on his FB page a while back.

Estimated date for first Live Fibre Services is 22 March 2017. (FTTC)
    Estimated date for first live FTTH with speeds up to 1000Mb/s is 05 Apr

You might be right, but the map update to day re Kinvara specifically says "FTTH", not FTTC. r5IpwHA.jpg

Gonzo wrote: »
    it turns out my area isn't going live till 5th April either so will have to wait another 3 weeks for an install!.

Take no notice of the live date, my live date was march 8th but because theres no port available on the cabinet its indefinite. What they might be doing is pre selling and see is there a demand to update the cabinet exchange)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,408 ✭✭✭chewed

My village says Spring/Summer 2018 (after being pushed out numerous times over the past year). Is there any chance that this date could be pulled in? Or am I being too optimistic?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭jacksie66

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭pegasus1

Take no notice of the live date, my live date was march 8th but because theres no port available on the cabinet its indefinite. What they might be doing is pre selling and see is there a demand to update the cabinet exchange)
    Each house on a blue line will have a port in the exchange dedicated to that house..they must be confusing ftth with fttc...are you on the blue line or just beyond it?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,198 ✭✭✭plodder

pegasus1 wrote: »
    Each house on a blue line will have a port in the exchange dedicated to that house..they must be confusing ftth with fttc...are you on the blue line or just beyond it?
    I think it's more like one physical port for every group on the same strand of fibre. So, there could be up to 32 houses on each port. But, even still, I'd be suspicious that there is confusion between FTTC and FTTH somewhere along the line. It's hard to imagine they are running out of ports that quickly.

plodder wrote: »
    I think it's more like one physical port for every group on the same strand of fibre. So, there could be up to 32 houses on each port. But, even still, I'd be suspicious that there is confusion between FTTC and FTTH somewhere along the line. It's hard to imagine they are running out of ports that quickly.

I would have thought it was fibre from home to spilter black box on pole. One strand back to the green cabinet which is also used for fftc services where fibre goes from there back into main exchange in a town.

My impression was there wasn't enough ports available on the green exchange box to provide fibre to my home and other homes around me and like previous comment that cabinet needs to be updated to provide more ports

For anyone wanting to indulge their inner nerd with FTTH technology, there are a host of readable articles here on the ECMAG website -
    http://www.ecmag.com/contributing-authors/jim-hayes
    Just click the authors name to see all the articles

• Registered Users Posts: 7,198 ✭✭✭plodder

I would have thought it was fibre from home to spilter black box on pole. One strand back to the green cabinet which is also used for fftc services where fibre goes from there back into main exchange in a town.

My impression was there wasn't enough ports available on the green exchange box to provide fibre to my home and other homes around me and like previous comment that cabinet needs to be updated to provide more ports
    As far as I understand it, FTTH means fibre all the way from the home to the exchange, and completely passive components (like splitters) in between. And it's completely independent of FTTC, which does need a port for each house.

Can't be certain obviously, but If I was in your situation, I'd make sure you are talking to someone who knows their stuff before giving up on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

You're totally mixing up FTTC and FTTH.

This is the FTTH thread, FTTC includes copper last mile and has a port limit per cab.

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭neasyerac

jacksie66 wrote: »
    Eir still don't know when broadband in my village is going live. Every other village and town around me has it but nothing for us. And we're just 7 odd miles outside of Limerick city. It's bloody frustrating. I'm in Montpelier Co. Limerick

I'm also waiting for this as I'm across the bridge in o'briens bridge. If's it's worth anything on the eir roll out map it's changed from Estimated date for first Live Fibre Services is late 2017 to spring/summer 2017

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

The alternative map and spreadsheet have been updated. A few interesting points to note. Three areas went live that had been given no prior due date:
    • Cootehall (Roscommon)
    • Dooradoyle (Limerick)
    • Rosslare Strand (Wexford)

Drumshanbo (Leitrim) is stuck with a due date of the 15th of March.

Portarlington (Laois) was due to get 260 premises but according to the map 460 premises were passed. That may be just a typo though.

As of today I make the total rural premises passed 16610 out of 106340 for a 15.62% completion rate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭jacksie66

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭ACLFC7

Portarlington (Laois) was due to get 260 premises but according to the map 460 premises were passed. That may be just a typo though.

Portarlington was also a part of the 66 towns - https://www.eir.ie/opencms/export/sites/default/.content/pdf/IR/news/eircom_Expands_Fibre_to_the_Home_Footprint_map.pdf

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement