Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eir Fibre Rollout Mapping

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 949 ✭✭✭damienirel

From your link

So on one hand we have EU regulations which are quite clear on the subject of intervention, and on the other hand we have some vague reference to possible legal challenge without any explanation on what that might be based.
    Without some information it seems like FUD.

That EU ruling means nothing without timelines and contracts for dates of delivery. If Eir promise 300k before the NBP is awarded what happens if they don't deliver surely the EU has something to handle that? It's a crazy situation don't you think where Eir have jumped in last minute to provide a service where it didn't exist and expect to be taken seriously, they have shown nothing but contempt for Irish consumers in the last decade.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,999 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

damienirel wrote: »
    That EU ruling means nothing without timelines and contracts for dates of delivery. If Eir promise 300k before the NBP is awarded what happens if they don't deliver surely the EU has something to handle that? It's a crazy situation don't you think where Eir have jumped in last minute to provide a service where it didn't exist and expect to be taken seriously, they have shown nothing but contempt for Irish consumers in the last decade.

This has nothing at all to do with how they treat customers or our perception of it.
    The EU ruling tops the lot when it comes to our gov subsidising something. They cannot do it is a commercial entity is prepared to do it commercially.
    That is it.
    If the gov try then they get hit by the EU as well as every other commercial entity in that market, including Imagine and others.

As I have posted, a huge lot depends on the terms of the commitment contract, and how well the gov have tied eir to roll out and timelines, including what penalties are agreed if eir fail to meet the agreed targets.

This has nothing at all to do with how they treat customers or our perception of it.
    The EU ruling tops the lot when it comes to our gov subsidising something. They cannot do it is a commercial entity is prepared to do it commercially.
    That is it.
    If the gov try then they get hit by the EU as well as every other commercial entity in that market, including Imagine and others.

As I have posted, a huge lot depends on the terms of the commitment contract, and how well the gov have tied eir to roll out and timelines, including what penalties are agreed if eir fail to meet the agreed targets.

Hang on a minute before you get ahead of yourself - at the minute we have 20k covered out of the proposed 300k. At the rate Eir are progressing we will have to wait 15 years for them to complete the 300k that they have "promised" to do. How can the EU force us to accept that? On what grounds should we accept it? We should be telling the EU to shove their money if that's what they want.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭pegasus1

Hang on a minute before you get ahead of yourself - at the minute we have 20k covered out of the proposed 300k. At the rate Eir are progressing we will have to wait 15 years for them to complete the 300k that they have "promised" to do. How can the EU force us to accept that? On what grounds should we accept it? We should be telling the EU to shove their money if that's what they want.
    When will you get it in your head...If you are doing one task over and over you get quicker and quicker at it over a short period of time..the install teams for fibre on poles/fibre in ducting/fibre from the splice box to the house will also over a short period of time gain massive experience and will get through jobs quicker...
    It sounds to me you have it in for Eir any which way...:rolleyes:

According to the contract some 40,000 should be passed by end of last month.
    The gov have yet to confirm figures.

• Advertisement

pegasus1 wrote: »
    When will you get it in your head...If you are doing one task over and over you get quicker and quicker at it over a short period of time..the install teams for fibre on poles/fibre in ducting/fibre from the splice box to the house will also over a short period of time gain massive experience and will get through jobs quicker...
    It sounds to me you have it in for Eir any which way...:rolleyes:

Let me be generous and take it that eir have 40k passed last month.
    And again let me be amazingly generous by allowing them to say they started in Jan 2017 not 12 months ago.
    That would make it that they pass 13333k a month :D. With 21 months to go that leaves them at 279993 - still 20k short.

Get this into your HEAD - they haven't a hope, with all the acceleration in the world they will NOT make that deadline. I haven't seen the commitment contract so I don't know what penalty they will be hit with - but I'd be certain they have a realistic completion date set and are absorbing the penalty in their own planning - as it is worth it to them to get the 300k outside of NBP.

Whatever "having it in" for a massive company like Eir means, maybe I do I dunno, who cares - I'm interested in the facts of this rollout nothing else.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭MBSnr

Whatever "having it in" for a massive company like Eir means, maybe I do I dunno, who cares - I'm interested in the facts of this rollout nothing else.

I know what you feel like - my previous dealings with Eircom have been mostly awkward and protracted. However I think Eir are much better these days as I think the old wood and ancient working practices have finally been thinned out and removed... :D

Let me be generous and take it that eir have 40k passed last month.
    And again let me be amazingly generous by allowing them to say they started in Jan 2017 not 12 months ago.
    That would make it that they pass 13333k a month :D. With 21 months to go that leaves them at 279993 - still 20k short.

Get this into your HEAD - they haven't a hope, with all the acceleration in the world they will NOT make that deadline. I haven't seen the commitment contract so I don't know what penalty they will be hit with - but I'd be certain they have a realistic completion date set and are absorbing the penalty in their own planning - as it is worth it to them to get the 300k outside of NBP.

If you read the contract it is based on a start time of Oct 2016, and it promises approximately 10,000 premises to 'be passed' every month.
    There are variations on that 10K but not big ones IIRC.

It also specifies the intermediate stages of getting to the monthly figure ........ all the preparation work prior to becoming available.

The cost of the 'penalties' is not made available.
    It could be quite small.

The minister retains the right to withdraw from the contract if eir fails to perform its obligation, and bring the premises back into the NBP and subsidise a contractor to do the premises.
    eir would be liable for the costs involved if that happens.

On first reading the contract is quite specific, with monthly reports on the various stages to be submitted every month to the minister - within 5 days of the month end.

It all looks very good to me so far.

If you read the contract it is based on a start time of Oct 2016, and it promises approximately 10,000 premises to 'be passed' every month.
    There are variations on that 10K but not big ones IIRC.

It also specifies the intermediate stages of getting to the monthly figure ........ all the preparation work prior to becoming available.

The cost of the 'penalties' is not made available.
    It could be quite small.

The minister retains the right to withdraw from the contract if eir fails to perform its obligation, and bring the premises back into the NBP and subsidise a contractor to do the premises.
    eir would be liable for the costs involved if that happens.

On first reading the contract is quite specific, with monthly reports on the various stages to be submitted every month to the minister - within 5 days of the month end.

It all looks very good to me so far.

Sounds good! Back at the "hope" stage again, maybe it bodes better this time as I can't imagine the general population putting up with much more delays.
    It's really expected that everybody will have access to working broadband. Not the rubbish we've had to put up with.

Sounds good! Back at the "hope" stage again, maybe it bodes better this time as I can't imagine the general population putting up with much more delays.
    It's really expected that everybody will have access to working broadband. Not the rubbish we've had to put up with.

The difference with this, as I see it, is there is now a legal agreement with specific targets, for those 300k.

Progress will be fully reported to and monitored by, the department, who will be open to questioning.

I have hopes of this being transparent so we can all view progress.

• Advertisement

Wonder what monitoring will be done if they claim they started Oct 2016 and have 40k passed already. Both of those "facts" are BS to me.
    The gov. would need to grow a pair.

Then there is this..
    http://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/broadband-deal-not-quite-the-showpiece-naughten-hoped-for-1.3036755

Not all exactly bright and rosy as Eir would like you to believe.

Wonder what monitoring will be done if they claim they started Oct 2016 and have 40k passed already. Both of those "facts" are BS to me.
    The gov. would need to grow a pair.

Again .... you need to read the contract as all the monitoring is laid out there.

Also the numbers are printed so you can see them.
    No more guessing or speculation about numbers is needed in regards to the 300k premises.

Then there is this..
    http://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/broadband-deal-not-quite-the-showpiece-naughten-hoped-for-1.3036755

Not all exactly bright and rosy as Eir would like you to believe.

Mostly FUD IMO.
    Time enough to worry about any of that if it should come to pass.

Remember, every one of those interested in an NBP contract had the opportunity to claim any or all parts for themselves by committing to a commercial roll out.
    Only eir did so.
    Now the others claim some disadvantage because of that?

Yeah, right!

• Registered Users Posts: 35,766 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

When you get a price of say 75 a month does that include everything, line rental vat so on .

When you get a price of say 75 a month does that include everything, line rental vat so on .

From whom?
    For what?

There would be no 'line' if supplied via fibre, so no rental.

All prices quoted to individuals (not businesses) include VAT.

From whom?
    For what?

There would be no 'line' if supplied via fibre, so no rental.

All prices quoted to individuals (not businesses) include VAT.

Eir
    BB Bundle
    And when they say unlimited and then add up to 150 mb that it silly.
    150Mb is very low ?

One movie would be 700 Mb ?

What happens if you like watching a film 3 times a week

• Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭MajesticDonkey

One movie would be 700 Mb ?

150 Mb is the speed. Fair usage allowance is 1 TB/month.

Eir
    BB Bundle
    And when they say unlimited and then add up to 150 mb that it silly.
    150Mb is very low ?

BB can be provided by different means, and if by fibre then there is no copper involved and thus no landline or rent.

150Mb/s is the max speed of the download available, which means it is a fibre connection. (Copper is not provided above 100Mb/s as far as I am aware).

Be aware that 'unlimited' does not mean that.
    There is a Fair Usage Cap which would kick in.
    The unlimited/fair usage cap for fibre is 1TB (not Tb) so is plenty for most households.

Mostly FUD IMO.
    Time enough to worry about any of that if it should come to pass.

Remember, every one of those interested in an NBP contract had the opportunity to claim any or all parts for themselves by committing to a commercial roll out.
    Only eir did so.
    Now the others claim some disadvantage because of that?

Yeah, right!

You're not wrong there. I would agree with your counter argument after taking it all into consideration at this stage. I really would like this to work out for the better of this country.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭trompele

Hi,
    I was just looking at the NBP map from http://www.dccae.gov.ie
    How accurate is that map? As example http://imgur.com/a/rTOZV
    How come area is covered but individual houses are not? Any explanation to that ? Could the reason be that Eir provided information that these properties are too far from nearest FTTC cab and not included in FTTH rollout?
    In this examples area is around 600 meters away from planned VDSL cab.

trompele wrote: »
    Hi,
    How come area is covered but individual houses are not? Any explanation to that ? Could the reason be that Eir provided information that these properties are too far from nearest FTTC cab and not included in FTTH rollout?

Premises that would have been expected to have sufficient connection speed but do not, for one of many reasons, have been added back into the NBP. They are suitably coloured.
    The light blue coloured premises are the Eir rural roll out.

If someone does not get 30Mb/s or greater, and their premises does not already show as coloured for NBP, but is in a blue area, they are encouraged to register to be put into the NBP so they will get their connection upgraded.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

trompele wrote: »
    Hi,

In this case it could be that they are too far from the proposed cabinet or they are directly connected to the parent exchange and are too far from it to get at least 30Mb or that they are connected to the cabinet and eir have decided not to build the proposed cabinet.

Edit: There is also the possibility that the cabinet will be built and the premises will be served and the amber dot would be removed as they would have access to at least 30Mb.

There seems to be a lot of these amber dots in blue areas around the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭Donutz

In this case it could be that they are too far from the proposed cabinet or they are directly connected to the parent exchange and are too far from it to get at least 30Mb or that they are connected to the cabinet and eir have decided not to build the proposed cabinet.

There seems to be a lot of these amber dots in blue areas around the country.

Our exchange was fibre enabled earlier this year but our estate can only get speeds of up to 12mb. We are also supposed to get FTTH in our area but on the eir map the lines run past the entrance to our estate but not into the actual estate.

We are in a blue area on the map but we don't have an amber dot on our house so do you think that eir will provide FTTH when it comes to our area? I have already emailed the NBP crowd to see if we could be added to it.

Donutz wrote: »
    Our exchange was fibre enabled earlier this year but our estate can only get speeds of up to 12mb. We are also supposed to get FTTH in our area but on the eir map the lines run past the entrance to our estate but not into the actual estate.

We are in a blue area on the map but we don't have an amber dot on our house so do you think that eir will provide FTTH when it comes to our area? I have already emailed the NBP crowd to see if we could be added to it.

If there is no line entering your estate then it is unlikely that you will be connected by eir as part of their commercial rollout. You should definitely keep pestering the Department though as your premises should have an amber dot on the map to indicate that you are not receiving the minimum 30Mb service so should be included in the NBP. If they are not helpful get a local TD involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,505 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

Is that 12 Mbps ADSL or eVDSL? How far away is the exchange?
    Is there a VDSL cab planned closer to your estate, as per the rollout map?

12 Mbps would be about 1.5-1.75kms from the exchange for eVDSL or 2.5kms for ADSL.

The Cush wrote:
    Is that 12 Mbps ADSL or eVDSL? How far away is the exchange? Is there a VDSL cab planned closer to your estate, as per the rollout map?

The Cush wrote:
    12 Mbps would be about 1.5-1.75kms from the exchange for eVDSL or 2.5kms for ADSL.

We are just over 1km from the exchange so I presume it's eVDSL. Before it was fibre enabled, we were only getting 3mb.

Funny thing is though, there are premises in my village further from the exchange that are getting 30Mb plus. In fact it just seems to be our estate that is not getting speeds of over 30Mb.

We are just over 1km from the exchange so I presume it's eVDSL. Before it was fibre enabled, we were only getting 3mb.

Funny thing is though, there are premises in my village further from the exchange that are getting 30Mb plus. In fact it just seems to be our estate that is not getting speeds of over 30Mb.

Did you specifically order eFibre or a similar product from another provider? Did a technician come to your home to install a new telephone faceplate?

Did you specifically order eFibre or a similar product from another provider? Did a technician come to your home to install a new telephone faceplate?

No. The figures I am quoting are from the eir website. We had broadband with sky and were getting 3mb but it wasn't fast enough so we moved to a satellite provider. Since then the exchange was upgraded and the speeds I am quoting are from the eir website when I search some addresses in my village.

When we had sky a technician from KN came to the house and installed a new faceplate.

• Advertisement

No. The figures I am quoting are from the eir website. We had broadband with sky and were getting 3mb but it wasn't fast enough so we moved to a satellite provider. Since then the exchange was upgraded and the speeds I am quoting are from the eir website when I search some addresses in my village.

When we had sky a technician from KN came to the house and installed a new faceplate.

Sounds like you definitely should be in the NBP. Keep after the Department until they acknowledge you.

Advertisement