Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eir Fibre Rollout Mapping

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,688 ✭✭✭jd

I see Johnswell in Kk has an updated date of 2017 for ftth. It'll go from no broadband to 1 gig. I think Helen Carroll of Ear to the Ground lives there and it was featured on a programme a year or so ago

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,768 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

mdfire wrote: »
    Im not an eir customer (Sky) so I dont even know how I can contact them to ask :confused:

This explains the problem. The last pole is only 110m from my front door and would have served me. The eir guys had it on the map on their ipads as having fibre but it wasnt on their worksheet and they didnt know why had queried it.

[IMG][/img]Presentation1_zpsluktats5.jpg

that's really bad luck and a worrying development, so some of the blue lines may end earlier than what's shown on the map.

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭mdfire

vintagevrs wrote: »
    What do you mean? Are you saying your house is the last on the blue line, but they didn't put fibre that far?

No im not the last house as the road is a loop. They left out about 500m of the road in the middle which means a number of houses are omitted. The eir guys said their map info told them pole closest to me should have had fibre but they couldnt understand why it wasnt included in the job list they had. They said planners are working off outdated maps and no knowledge of the area.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,925 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

So I walk out the door this evening and see a truck with a large (American fridge sized) Huawei box and some lads in KN tabards. And then as I get closer I see a green fibre cabinet out on the street and the lads building its innards.

Wwwooohhhhoooooo!!!

FYI it's at LCN1_024

The map got updated with my cabinet getting a "Completion works in progress. 6 months" and the other one nearby that got done as "Completion works in progress. November 9th"

Whoop!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,381 ✭✭✭vintagevrs

mdfire wrote: »
    No im not the last house as the road is a loop. They left out about 500m of the road in the middle which means a number of houses are omitted. The eir guys said their map info told them pole closest to me should have had fibre but they couldnt understand why it wasnt included in the job list they had. They said planners are working off outdated maps and no knowledge of the area.

Sorry that comment was for the post before me, not yours. I should have quoted.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 150 ✭✭Head Wreck

How could I find out when Fibre will arrive in my area? The Map and the customer service operator have been saying 6 weeks for the last 14 months

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,768 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

The map on Eir's website is very much out of date, and only shows the FTTC rollout. Refer to the map on Open Eir's website or the fibre rollout website for the most uptodate information. http://fibrerollout.ie/where-and-when/

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 150 ✭✭Head Wreck

Gonzo wrote:
    The map on Eir's website is very much out of date, and only shows the FTTC rollout. Refer to the map on Open Eir's website or the fibre rollout website for the most uptodate information.

Just tried that but it doesn't seem to work on my (ancient) phone.

If I PM'd my address area, could you check it out for me whenever you have a bit of free time, I'd really appreciate it. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭emy50

Gonzo wrote: »
    The map on Eir's website is very much out of date, and only shows the FTTC rollout. Refer to the map on Open Eir's website or the fibre rollout website for the most uptodate information. http://fibrerollout.ie/where-and-when/

That website is not guarantee of broadband either

I'm less than 400 metres from a fibre enabled cabinet, 2.5 km from a fibre enabled exchange. Guess what, I'm connected to the exchange, so can't get fibre!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,942 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

There has been a lot of tree pruning on my road. It is designated to get fiber. I asked an elderly farmer what it was for and apart from 'that time of year' I was able to just make out something about 'clear the wires'.

When I look at the map, there isn't even one of those blue speech bubbles with a date for my area so I have been assuming it must be years away. Would that be correct?

On a second look at the map, looks like I needed to enable the currently has fiber live check box. The green bubble says 2017/2018. I presume that means the pruning is just a coincidence then.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23 ctwomey

Here in Ballybrittas, Co. Laois the tree pruning was during the summer. Now we have the KN vans driving around the area installing new cables along the supposed FTTH route and joining them up with black boxes every few hundred metres. I hope it is the planned FTTH installation.

ctwomey wrote: »
    Here in Ballybrittas, Co. Laois the tree pruning was during the summer. Now we have the KN vans driving around the area installing new cables along the supposed FTTH route and joining them up with black boxes every few hundred metres. I hope it is the planned FTTH installation.

that's the FTTH in wiring stages, shouldn't be too long to go now.

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭Decoda

Anyone any idea how long from when the fibre is hung to when you could expect to get an offer letter from Eir? KN have been fitting cable along our road for the past week and have left the loop on the top of the pole across from the house and I'm just wondering how long before we could expect an offer.

Our exchange has been enabled and the Eir map shows Winter /Spring 2017 as the implementation date.

Thanks

D.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 justice4all

Hi lads,

I live in Wexford just moved from Cork where I had no issues with Broadband and speeds, Now I find myself between a rock and very hard place, Long story short I live in Piercestown and the only Broadband I can get is 'Imagine or wireless solutions' but the local cab is showing Blue and will be enabled in the next year the worst part is Half of the village is covered and has 1GB broadband from a different Cab the killinick cab but or house is connect to the rathaspeck cab :( OpenEir are no help wont tell you a think and same with the lads in the vans that are all over the area since the rathaspeck cab is the only cab not enabled in the area :(

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭sibersha

Folks, I just moved to a new address. There is a fibre cabinet in the estate - on the roll out map on Eir's website it says work is scheduled to completed within 1 year. However I contacted Eir and they informed me that there was work scheduled for 17th of December and my address should be fibre enabled.

However, I have since contacted them and no work has been completed and I was informed that the work would be completed in "the future" So would do you reckon it will be completed in the near future or could I be waiting up to 1 year for the work to be completed?

Because if that is the case, I think I will have to look at an LTE alternative.

Cheers

sibersha wrote: »
    Folks, I just moved to a new address. There is a fibre cabinet in the estate - on the roll out map on Eir's website it says work is scheduled to completed within 1 year. However I contacted Eir and they informed me that there was work scheduled for 17th of December and my address should be fibre enabled.

However, I have since contacted them and no work has been completed and I was informed that the work would be completed in "the future" So would do you reckon it will be completed in the near future or could I be waiting up to 1 year for the work to be completed?

Because if that is the case, I think I will have to look at an LTE alternative.

Cheers

Who did you contact to get that information?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,983 ✭✭✭ItHurtsWhenIP

Last week, I had it on VERY good authority, from two separate sources (one of whom is an Open eir employee) who had each spoken with a different person within Open eir and they were told that the Reacross exchange was finally going to be eVDSLed before the end of January.

The Fibrerollout.ie map was updated today and the exchange status went from Spring 2017 to Late 2017.

Seriously WTF?:mad::mad::mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 26 tubawaski

Same situation. I contacted Eir a few weeks ago and the person said that it will go live first quarter of 2017, today I look at the map and its late 2017. By now I have totally given up on them... they have been extending the estimation since 2015.... I clearly see that nothing is getting done, they just put up the cabinet and the fibre on the poles. The frustrating thing is that they connect lower population density villages first before connecting up the bigger villages with more people.

tubawaski wrote: »
    Same situation. I contacted Eir a few weeks ago and the person said that it will go live first quarter of 2017, today I look at the map and its late 2017. By now I have totally given up on them... they have been extending the estimation since 2015.... I clearly see that nothing is getting done, they just put up the cabinet and the fibre on the poles. The frustrating thing is that they connect lower population density villages first before connecting up the bigger villages with more people.

I was talking to people who have been speaking with others in Open eir. The people you may have spoken to are in eir, which hasn't a clue what the story is, because they are not responsible for the network and upgrades.

However the equipment went into our exchange in the summer of 2016 and has been "rotting" there ever since. This I know for a fact.

And as to your assertion about them doing smaller villages first, there are only ~160 land lines connected to our exchange and probably 70% or more of them are providing a copper pair to houses outside of the 1.5KM range for eVDSL. Ours is a tiny wee village in the middle of the mountains.

BTW - I'm out of range for this myself. I'm just pissed off that my neighbours and friends who are within range, are suffering with slow FWA or piss poor mobile midband.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

NBP has been slow, thats a legitimate reason for OpenEir to play it cool and see how the chips land before going all in. They arent stupid (anymore!).

Secondly it makes a lot of sense to do the rural lines first in some instances:
    • Costs them the most each year (significant loss), each copper line removed is a saving
    • No competition (other than FWALA) which means very high uptake levels
    • Those users are typically most desperate on 0.5Mb amber DSL lines, great PR to go from 0.5 to 1Gb ("2000x Faster for Rural Ireland....")
    • Govt is about to pay them for a rake of similar work

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 949 ✭✭✭damienirel

ED E wrote: »
    NBP has been slow, thats a legitimate reason for OpenEir to play it cool and see how the chips land before going all in. They arent stupid (anymore!).

Secondly it makes a lot of sense to do the rural lines first in some instances:
    • Costs them the most each year (significant loss), each copper line removed is a saving
    • No competition (other than FWALA) which means very high uptake levels
    • Those users are typically most desperate on 0.5Mb amber DSL lines, great PR to go from 0.5 to 1Gb ("2000x Faster for Rural Ireland....")
    • Govt is about to pay them for a rake of similar work

I totally agree with these points - although I'm really annoyed they publish such inaccurate dates on their site as to when an exchange goes live - I've no doubt they will speed up in the new year - but I still think the dates are vastly exaggerated. Again i only hope that I am wrong. The planning is silly I live in a ruralish area just outside a city, there's a fibre cabinet about 500m down the road from me - I don't know of any of the neighbours on my road that qualify for faster than what I can get which is 2.5mb. The cabinet is there 3 years now - and my exchange is gonna be one of the last to get FTTH. The area I live in would have a huge amount of subscribers if they decided to do it earlier and make money. Instead they have rolled it out in Inverin? (no offence to the people there) but hardly a money pit in terms of customers.
    So my take on the planning is there is very little of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭MBSnr

damienirel wrote: »
    Instead they have rolled it out in Inverin? (no offence to the people there) but hardly a money pit in terms of customers.
    So my take on the planning is there is very little of it.

Inverin has eVDSL and ADSL2 already so the choice is strange.... but take Cornamona, which already has eVDSL and ADSL2 as well... I now see from the updated map it's going live with FTTH on 28 Dec.. Seriously - that's a bad joke. All those areas without any internet or on ADSL1 overlooked... TD influence on that one for sure. Be handy for those mountain sheep farmers and holiday homes (all empty) located in the middle of nowhere....

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭danny004

Finally with the updated map my local cabinet is showing build commenced and completion works in progress.
    How long would anyone take a guess before I can order or even what speed I will get
    Thanking you all and happy Christmas its a Great forum with better knowledge than the telecom providers

danny004 wrote: »
    Finally with the updated map my local cabinet is showing build commenced and completion works in progress.
    How long would anyone take a guess before I can order or even what speed I will get
    Thanking you all and happy Christmas its a Great forum with better knowledge than the telecom providers

Hate to dampen your spirits, but the exchange in my village has been "Build commenced and completion works in progress for about 6 months now." Current live date is looking like end of 2017. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭danny004

Well that's taken the fizz out of my Christmas party ,maybe next Christmas so I should be set

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭sibersha

Who did you contact to get that information?

From an Eir customer service agent over the phone and I also got an email stating the same.

sibersha wrote: »
    From an Eir customer service agent over the phone and I also got an email stating the same.

They've never been able to give me anything other than "six months".

• Registered Users Posts: 26 tubawaski

danny004 wrote: »
    cabinet is showing build commenced and completion works in progress
    My area has been "build commenced and completion works in progress" for the last year and a half....For some reason though some places get it done within a few months and some, like mine much longer so far(where I live the cabinet and the fibre on the poles is installed but no technicians come and set it up). Basically, it depends, everyones is different.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Gphotos

Eir/Open Eir are a joke. They have my address as fiber Build commenced for over 3 years. Then last year we were upgraded to FTTH and go live summer 16. Spring 16 we were moved to winter 16, then winter 17, then in Oct 16 were we down graded to FTTC and live date spring 17. Now I look at the map we have been moved to late 17!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,368 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Gphotos wrote: »
    Eir/Open Eir are a joke. They have my address as fiber Build commenced for over 3 years. Then last year we were upgraded to FTTH and go live summer 16. Spring 16 we were moved to winter 16, then winter 17, then in Oct 16 were we down graded to FTTC and live date spring 17. Now I look at the map we have been moved to late 17!
    Can you be more specific as to where you are?

Advertisement