Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Student paramedic 2013

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭mad for road

No guarantee to make stage 2 even if you have all the requirements to apply in the first place

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭Juanito13

iceage wrote: »
    Nice to see there is no shortage of high horses around here, lads a bit of friendly advice costs nothing, I'm sure like the rest of us if people are interested in these positions they'll be scouring the net and forums such as Boards looking for said advice.

Sorry but there's no excuse for not knowing the bare minimum (recruitment criteria) at this stage. For me, asking for advice is asking for tips about interview/ aptitude test prep.
    They certainly wouldn't score well in the first part of the aptitude test, where your expected to analyse paragraph's and pick out KEY information.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭McCoy

right lads and lasses, think we are all getting a bit off topic...
    could anybody recommend a good preparation course ?
    also, iv heard that there is 800+ unemployed EMTs in Ireland ,
    would I be right in saying 1000+ Candidates sitting the aptitude tests, then 200ish going onto interview, and a panel of 100 eventually being formed ?
    I have no EMT certification, no third level qualification (bar a couple of fetac certs) and no experience in a voluntary ambulance,
    I have a leaving cert (decent but not spectacular) and am in my mid-twenties...
    am I wasting my time ?
    also, could anyone give me an idea of where placements take place, I know it says you could be placed anywhere but are they in general close to home ?

cheers folks

• Registered Users Posts: 3,533 ✭✭✭iceage

As above McCoy you meet the LC requirement but the C1 seems to be a major stumbling block, do you have that?

As above McCoy you meet the LC requirement but the C1 seems to be a major stumbling block, do you have that?

oh ya forgot to mention, I do, have C & D

• Advertisement

Then in theory you have as much chance as any here mate at least at the kick off.

Then in theory you have as much chance as any here mate at least at the kick off.

ya , true enough I suppose, cheers, the odds are stacked against me but I'll give it the best shot I can anyway ..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88 ✭✭qwertypop

Nice to see there is no shortage of high horses around here, lads a bit of friendly advice costs nothing, I'm sure like the rest of us if people are interested in these positions they'll be scouring the net and forums such as Boards looking for said advice.

Granted but it says in black and white what is required. I don't think there should be much room of ambiguity

McCoy wrote: »
    right lads and lasses, think we are all getting a bit off topic...
    also, iv heard that there is 800+ unemployed EMTs in Ireland ,
    would I be right in saying 1000+ Candidates sitting the aptitude tests, then 200ish going onto interview, and a panel of 100 eventually being formed ?
    I have no EMT certification, no third level qualification (bar a couple of fetac certs) and no experience in a voluntary ambulance,
    I have a leaving cert (decent but not spectacular) and am in my mid-twenties...
    am I wasting my time ?
    also, could anyone give me an idea of where placements take place, I know it says you could be placed anywhere but are they in general close to home ?

cheers folks

So long as you have what it asks for, license and leaving cert. you've as much chance as the next person.
    Of course you have to pass aptitude test. Career services run a good course. I sat their course last time. Sorry mods if I'm not allowed state there name.

Loads of people have succeeded in the paramedic panel with little or no first aid experience. It's perfumed when you start that you have nothing at all

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭Leo Demidov

Presumed?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,341 ✭✭✭D Trent

cheers folks

http://careerservices.ie/emergency-medical-technician/preparation-courses

• Registered Users Posts: 3,380 ✭✭✭sjb25

ya , true enough I suppose, cheers, the odds are stacked against me but I'll give it the best shot I can anyway ..
    Stay positive once you have the entry criteria you have the same chance as the rest of us nobody is sure of a place you just got to stand out from the crowd good luck

Sat my LC in one year as a mature student through VTOS back in 1993. Received confirmation from UCD this morning that my LC isn't up to scratch. Rather than waste my time, NAS time and UCD's time and take up a possible candidate position in the application process time I requested clarification before filling in the application on publicjobs.

Be aware... Alternative Maths is not acceptable(Even the honour I received). As the criteria states you need a pass in 5 subjects at Ordinary level including Maths. Any VTOS student like myself may need to take note and refer to their results. Alternative maths was the only option available to me back in 1993. Might have had something to do with me sitting a 2 year VTOS in one year, even though I flew through 4 subjects at pass including an A2 in Biology.

Best of luck to all here that apply and make the grade, jealous as f*ck.. as of now I'm off to find out about re-sitting my bloody Ordinary level LC Maths so there is no repeat of this.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1 m6west

I did the aptitude course with Career Services and I did my interview prep with a guy in Galway. Seems a heap of ICO's and Paramedics have done the same. He does one to one sessions and I used him the second time I applied and got on the Para course. Obviously not going to promote but if anyone wants details feel free to drop me a pm.

right folks, closing deadline has passed.... looks like its just us then ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 EMT87

m6west wrote: »
    I did the aptitude course with Career Services and I did my interview prep with a guy in Galway. Seems a heap of ICO's and Paramedics have done the same. He does one to one sessions and I used him the second time I applied and got on the Para course. Obviously not going to promote but if anyone wants details feel free to drop me a pm.

Ya I did the same for interview prep for ICO with a guy in Galway. He has loads of experience and is well up there so knows exactly what he's talking about. One to one is defiantly the better option. I was as good as fearless by the time the interview came due to the amount of preperation he did and the knowledge I got. Any one interested in his number just PM me, glad to help Well worth it. :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 10 parakeith12

Well I have scraped or scrapped the end of the barrels from libraries to online tests such as Kent or psychometric success.com but I feel they are not really close examples of what we are going to get... any ideas out there?

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭borrch

Well I have scraped or scrapped the end of the barrels from libraries to online tests such as Kent or psychometric success.com but I feel they are not really close examples of what we are going to get... any ideas out there?

Any good bookshop would have plenty of books on abstract reasoning. I have alot of books on that and verbal reasoning, most where bought in Easons. Abstract reasoning is the easiest one to improve on, so if I were you I'd give it extra attention. Generally it's the time constraints, not the questions, that make these tests difficult. So being calm and confident really helps :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10 parakeith12

Thank you for the info, I will pop into Eason etc. the books in the libraryare quite old really.Thanks again

• Registered Users Posts: 42 stones55

you can find lots online that will be similar to what you can expect. Career services take all their examples from online and some books! But i agree you need to be quick with them..I think it's something you are either good at or you're not!

I also agree with one on one for the interview prep, you don't get the same attention in a group!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭Bang Bang

There's a company that has advertised in many ambulance stations throughout the country with regard to a course they run for exam and interview preparation with an emphasis on the NAS Paramedic recruitment.

Call into your local ambulance station for further information or PM me and I will get the information for you later.
    I won't put up a link here as I know it's against forum rules.

Just to clarify on my previous post, the company I speak off is not linked to the National Ambulance Service nor do I have any affiliation to the company. I just seen that they had advertised their course in ambulance stations so thought I would pass in the info to those on here looking for options for courses, books etc.

The best of luck those of you who have applied.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,941 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Is this the company I've seen on a side ad on my facebook? With the initials 'CS' and calling themselves 'Entrance Exam Experts'?

flazio wrote: »
    Is this the company I've seen on a side ad on my facebook? With the initials 'CS' and calling themselves 'Entrance Exam Experts'?

That's the initials of the company, I haven't seen them on Facebook and I haven't seen them call themselves experts either. I've only seen their letter on the notice boards in work, that is if they are the same company.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Nickynikki

Sat my LC in one year as a mature student through VTOS back in 1993. Received confirmation from UCD this morning that my LC isn't up to scratch. Rather than waste my time, NAS time and UCD's time and take up a possible candidate position in the application process time I requested clarification before filling in the application on publicjobs.

Be aware... Alternative Maths is not acceptable(Even the honour I received). As the criteria states you need a pass in 5 subjects at Ordinary level including Maths. Any VTOS student like myself may need to take note and refer to their results. Alternative maths was the only option available to me back in 1993. Might have had something to do with me sitting a 2 year VTOS in one year, even though I flew through 4 subjects at pass including an A2 in Biology.

Best of luck to all here that apply and make the grade, jealous as f*ck.. as of

now I'm off to find out about re-sitting my bloody Ordinary level LC Maths so
    there is no repeat of this.:rolleyes:

I was in the same position, sat my LC in 2003 in youthreach and the majority of the class were sitting foundation level maths and the tuitor wasn't going mixing Ordinary with Foundation for fear of putting the fear of god into some of the other students who were there because they were paid! :(

Sat the foundation level not knowing the road ahead. (kicking myself since)

I went back three years ago and sat it through VTOS and got the truck license too. Then i applied to the Ambulance Service up North and got in (No longer up there now tho because of family commitments etc) so hoping to get into the HSE some day!

Definately get the maths out of the way (not sure how tough project maths is)

If all comes to all head north

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Wineport

Hey Folks, the "company" that's been mentioned here and there in this thread is quite good. I've availed of their services in the past. Hopefully it's ok for me to say that seeing as I'm not mentioning any names.
    Hey EMT87, sent a Pm about the interview guy in Galway, just wondering if you got it and if you could pass along his info whenever you have time. Thanks very much and the very best of luck to everyone who's applied.

Anyone got dates for the aptitude test. I've got nothing yet

qwertypop wrote: »

The received applications are currently being processed with invalid applications being eliminated during this process. When this process is finished then the total number of eligible applicants will be known and dates/venues will be set.

Date wad meant to be the 17th. Not much time to get leave from work

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,380 ✭✭✭sjb25

qwertypop wrote: »

Just got my date and time :)

Advertisement