Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Student paramedic 2013

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,533 ✭✭✭iceage

Easy lads.. Give Bang Bang a break, seems to have some relevant info. I'm more worried about my bloody Leaving cert results!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

Just some friendly debate with a clearly knowledgeable poster for a change :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,341 ✭✭✭D Trent

If you are a registered EMT, you are exempt from needing a science subject in ur leaving cert. requirement of the c1 licence is because the weight of the ambulances.

Yeah I saw that. I'm just EFR atm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 206 ✭✭Pebbles!

Good luck to all applying. :-) Been a long time since there has been a recruitment drive and probably the last before It goes through CAO.

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭19hz

Pebbles! wrote: »
    Good luck to all applying. :-) Been a long time since there has been a recruitment drive and probably the last before It goes through CAO.

What is the story with the CAO route, I have no doubt it will come in some day but has anything been set up/process of setting up yet? :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭antichrist

BX 19 wrote: »
    It's honestly cost saving measure I think.

No its not. As stated before, since the arrival of CEN ambulances the NAS has required all applicants to hold a C1 licence.

Before that you were required to hold a B licence as that was the requirement to drive the ambulances at that time.

To state that it is only a cost saving measure is the same as saying "sure why do we even need a driving licence to begin with, surely the HSE can teach us to drive"

Since arrival of CEN ambulances (2003-2005 i think) the advice to anyone expressing an interest in joining the ambulance service was get yer C1, if you have failed to do that then its all on you for being badly prepared.

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭Bang Bang

iceage wrote: »
    Easy lads.. Give Bang Bang a break, seems to have some relevant info. I'm more worried about my bloody Leaving cert results!
    Just some friendly debate with a clearly knowledgeable poster for a change :)

Cheers lads;)

antichrist wrote: »
    the advice to anyone expressing an interest in joining the ambulance service was get yer C1, if you have failed to do that then its all on you for being badly prepared.

I agree with you 100% AC, I've been giving that advice almost ten years now, more so since the recruitment of student paramedics began again in 2008. Folk asked me back then for advice and top of the list was the C1, yet I'm still amazed at the amount of folk who, even up to this week, ask me is it worth applying without the licence!! even though they've expressed an interest in a career as a Paramedic in the past, they have failed to prepare.

So for those out there who at present don't meet the criteria for whatever reason, still in school etc, my advice is get your education then get your driving licences sorted.

The best of luck to those of you applying for this recruitment.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,239 ✭✭✭Elessar

19hz wrote: »
    What is the story with the CAO route, I have no doubt it will come in some day but has anything been set up/process of setting up yet? :confused:

I haven't heard anything. It seems inevitable, which is both a good and bad thing. Good because it will open the profession to degree level as standard and it will open up the training to more people, rather than having the HSE choose who and when. Bad because it will mean potentially hundreds of qualified paramedics graduating every few years with no jobs to go to.

Has anyone heard anything on it?

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭McCoy

hello all,

very best of luck to all who have applied, I can imagine intrest will be seriously high and competition fierce ?
    it sounds like an excellent oppurtunity to whoever is lucky enopugh to get it....
    Does anyone know how many remain on the previous panel (2010) ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭Scienceless

So what's the position for existing permanent HSE staff? (Outside NAS).
    I mean, if I'm existing permanent staff, have a full C1 and D1, meet all other requirements, would I be required to resign my current HSE job and 'break' my service? (If I got on the panel)
    Or can I transfer to NAS without any break in service??
    I can't see an answer to this in the campaign info.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭McCoy

So what's the position for existing permanent HSE staff? (Outside NAS).
    I mean, if I'm existing permanent staff, have a full C1 and D1, meet all other requirements, would I be required to resign my current HSE job and 'break' my service? (If I got on the panel)
    Or can I transfer to NAS without any break in service??
    I can't see an answer to this in the campaign info.

Id imagine you wouldnt have to resign your post until you sign the new contract ie when you start training, but im sure the people in recruitment would clear it up for you...

Would anyone know how likely i would be to get through the process without an EMT qualification ?... I know its not exactly a requirement but will it be expected of potential candidates you think ?

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭antichrist

The year I hear being banded about for cao applications is 2015, but that's at the very earliest from what I've heard.

If you are, for example, a porter in the hse. You resign from your position, at 23:59 and commence yer new contract at 00:00. This way, your pension is kept up to date and when you get a permanent contract (takes about 3 years) you can apply for your increments to carry over. Your HR dept should help more with this.

As for not having an emt qualification, some of the best paramedics I've worked with never done the emt course. While it will stand to some candidates, having a good head on your shoulders trumps it.

Is ballinasloe still open for training student paramedics or will training be dublin based?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,558 ✭✭✭seven_eleven

Am I the only one who hopes the CAO method doesnt come in? I think its an extremely poor system that only looks at the points of your leaving cert, which mean absolutely nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

Am I the only one who hopes the CAO method doesnt come in? I think its an extremely poor system that only looks at the points of your leaving cert, which mean absolutely nothing.

If they model it after the UK college admissions, interviews are very much part of the application process.

While the leaving cert system suits certain types of people more than others, and academic types will do well in it, to say your points mean nothing is ridiculous. Right or wrong it's the system in place, and while undergoing change, there are many people who applied themselves to do the best they could out if it, and you insult them with such a blanket statement. I learned the hard way that your leaving cert points do actually mean a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭madmaxvideo

I agree with you 100% on the CAO method. It won't work here, on the basis that there is only two frontline ambulance services in the country and they, in the current climate, have really cut back on recruitment, there wont be a big demand for it. I can only imagine the amount of people qualified as paramedics around that won't upskill etc, look at the amount of EMTs around that are not affiliated to any of the vols etc, don't upskill and are still issued their emt license. On the other hand I think it is bad idea on the part of UCD that this and previous recruitment by the NAS, applicants need a leaving cert. I'm sure a lot of the older generation paramedics didn't have leaving certs but still became excellent paramedics. Anyone can study medicine and become a doctor without a leaving cert.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭5500

I can understand a leaving cert but the equivalent of a degree doesn't seem right. On the national framework or qualifications, fetac level 5 is equivalent to a leaving cert, surely anyone who's done any of the plc courses relating to fire or ambulance that are level 5 should be given an opportunity to apply too. As above you can apply for nursing or medicine without any prior examination results, granted there's hpat/aptitude tests to pass which is only fair but at least you have a chance to apply without being disregarded on leaving cert results alone.

McCoy wrote: »
    Does anyone know how many remain on the previous panel (2010) ?

The last ten candidates from the 2010 panel are now in training with the surplus class numbers being filled by students from the Permanent Defence Forces.
    The highest scoring and panel placed candidates from this new recruitment will be the next class in, a starting date has yet to be published.

• Advertisement

Is ballinasloe still open for training student paramedics or will training be dublin based?

Ballinsloe (NASC West) is still very much open. Only this week there were Advanced Paramedics in class there as part of their post graduate internship.
    As for where the first class from the new campaign for student paramedics will attend, well that depends on when the start date is and which college, either East or West has classes insitu. Advanced Paramedic training is ongoing and certain modules are done in the NASC East whilst the rest of the course is in UCD with regard to classroom modules and not clinical or intern placements.

One has to remember that the Student Paramedic programme is a UCD/NASC Diploma in Emergency Medical Science and the education requirement to enter such a programme has changed in recent years, such is the content and clinical level achieved in these modern times of a dynamic service such as the National Ambulance Service.

It is also expected that many, hopefully all of those who make it through and qualify as a Paramedic will then apply, when eligible, for the Grad Dip. Advanced Paramedic programme then maybe onto the Masters. The foundation for these courses is now based around a pass Leaving Certificate which includes a Science subject.
    An exception to the science subject is a PHECC registered EMT qualification. An exception to the leaving cert is a Primary Degree from a [recognised] third level institution. Let us not forget the C1 driving licence for without it your application will not be accepted even if you hold all the above education qualifications.

If they model it after the UK college admissions, interviews are very much part of the application process.

Yes, The UK system is the best. Taking into account your school results, your experience with other jobs and voluntary work, any other qualifications you have such as first aid etc, your tailored personal statement that you write about yourself, your references from schools, employers, etc, and an interview to gauge your personality and how well suited you are for the job.

No better system imo.
    While the leaving cert system suits certain types of people more than others, and academic types will do well in it, to say your points mean nothing is ridiculous. Right or wrong it's the system in place, and while undergoing change, there are many people who applied themselves to do the best they could out if it, and you insult them with such a blanket statement. I learned the hard way that your leaving cert points do actually mean a lot.

I think the leaving cert is extremely unfair. It doesnt look at the applicant as an individual, and all the wrong types of people get into college courses when they aren't suited for it.

I know many people that did extremely well, 400-500+ points in the LC, and they were the most thickest, incompetant people going. It also makes it far more competitive for people who want to get into the job.

I learned the hard way that the Leaving Cert points mean sweet F/A. School is not for everyone, and how well you do at remembering pointless information is not a reflection of somebodies ability, potential or intelligence.

the UK system is the way to go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88 ✭✭qwertypop

Yes, The UK system is the best. Taking into account your school results, your experience with other jobs and voluntary work, any other qualifications you have such as first aid etc, your tailored personal statement that you write about yourself, your references from schools, employers, etc, and an interview to gauge your personality and how well suited you are for the job.

No better system imo.

I think the leaving cert is extremely unfair. It doesnt look at the applicant as an individual, and all the wrong types of people get into college courses when they aren't suited for it.

I know many people that did extremely well, 400-500+ points in the LC, and they were the most thickest, incompetant people going. It also makes it far more competitive for people who want to get into the job.

I learned the hard way that the Leaving Cert points mean sweet F/A. School is not for everyone, and how well you do at remembering pointless information is not a reflection of somebodies ability, potential or intelligence.

the UK system is the way to go.

Have you your leaving cert ????

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭borrch

It's only reasonable that they'd ask for a leaving cert, they have been very good about letting people of this for having the EMT course done. You, as a potential candidate, need to show them that you are able to pass the paramedic exams. So how is that unreasonable..? Why would thay waste money on a candidate who they aren't sure will pass?

And by the way, you need your LC to get into medicine! Don't know where ye got the idea you don't need it. Even as a mature candidate you have to have all your science subjects (higher level) or a relevant degree. Competition is fierce in med and only very strong candidate get in.

qwertypop wrote: »
    Have you your leaving cert ????

I do.

borrch wrote: »
    It's only reasonable that they'd ask for a leaving cert, they have been very good about letting people of this for having the EMT course done. You, as a potential candidate, need to show them that you are able to pass the paramedic exams. So how is that unreasonable..? Why would thay waste money on a candidate who they aren't sure will pass?

And by the way, you need your LC to get into medicine! Don't know where ye got the idea you don't need it. Even as a mature candidate you have to have all your science subjects (higher level) or a relevant degree. Competition is fierce in med and only very strong candidate get in.

I would agree that it is only reasonable to expect them to look for a leaving cert, however, in regards to having the alternative, I'm sure there are plenty of people out their with no lc but have advanced their education to a level 5/ 6 qualification that would apply themselves to the program and pass the exams with flying colours. Just because you have a leaving cert doesn't mean you are able to pass your paramedic exam. What about someone that has a lc from years ago and hasn't been in an education setting for many years, they could have just scraped a pass in 5 subjects at ordinary level when they sat their leaving, this doesn't make them an ideal candidate!

In regards to studying medicine, you do not need to have any leaving cert as a mature student, a close friend of mine is currently in the process of applying to study medicine in TCD as a mature student and so far has only had to sit the hpat exam, they look more on how relevant their life, work and educational experiences are to the course.

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭borrch

I would agree that it is only reasonable to expect them to look for a leaving cert, however, in regards to having the alternative, I'm sure there are plenty of people out their with no lc but have advanced their education to a level 5/ 6 qualification that would apply themselves to the program and pass the exams with flying colours. Just because you have a leaving cert doesn't mean you are able to pass your paramedic exam. What about someone that has a lc from years ago and hasn't been in an education setting for many years, they could have just scraped a pass in 5 subjects at ordinary level when they sat their leaving, this doesn't make them an ideal candidate!

In regards to studying medicine, you do not need to have any leaving cert as a mature student, a close friend of mine is currently in the process of applying to study medicine in TCD as a mature student and so far has only had to sit the hpat exam, they look more on how relevant their life, work and educational experiences are to the course.

"Applicants to Medicine
    Applicants must present a Grade B and a Grade C in two of Biology and Chemistry or Physics at higher Leaving Certificate level or equivalent. All applicants must sit the HPAT-Ireland admissions test which will take place in February, 2013. For more details on this test please click here. HPAT-Ireland test results will assist with short-listing candidates for interview."

I've taken that directly from the tcd website!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭5500

One of my friends got into medicine as a mature in UCD without an LC or diploma/degree. It wasn't easy as obviously there's interviews, HPAT ect but he had relevant life experience and earned his place none the less.

I don't think anyone expects that there should be no educational minimum set, its the equivalency that doesn't seem fair when person "A" could have 10 years with a voluntary and completed every Pre hospital related course available that they can but yet person "B" with no prior experience just out of school with there LC is automatically a more eligible candidate.

• Advertisement

"Applicants to Medicine
    Applicants must present a Grade B and a Grade C in two of Biology and Chemistry or Physics at higher Leaving Certificate level or equivalent. All applicants must sit the HPAT-Ireland admissions test which will take place in February, 2013. For more details on this test please click here. HPAT-Ireland test results will assist with short-listing candidates for interview."

I've taken that directly from the tcd website!

"All undergraduate courses in Trinity College are open to mature applicants. Mature student applicants are not required to satisfy the normal matriculation requirements and are not required to meet competitive academic entry levels (e.g. Leaving Certificate points), but are considered in the first instance on the basis of how relevant their life, work and educational experiences are to the course(s) that they wish to pursue. In addition, all applicants should demonstrate an interest in and knowledge of their course choice(s)."

As from tcd.ie under medicine and mature students. Sorry guys, We'll try stay on topic! I have no problem with them looking for a candidate to have a lc, but it is the alternative, in fairness I wouldn't say there are many with a college degree looking to become a paramedic, thats not to say it won't happen, I know of two guys who have changed their career to paramedic after gaining a degree in college. It is just there is a bit of a contradiction on ucds part, you can't compare the lc with a primary degree, imo there is a big difference.

Imo, I think there is better suited candidates than someone with just the lc.

Does anyone know how many they plan to have on the panel?

Advertisement