Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Student paramedic 2013

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29 The2minator

Thankfully I have managed after a long wait to meet the requirements this time. How ever going back to the point, apptitute is a serious concern of mine, I purchased two physcometric testing books any one any advice on the next stage please, in desperate need for info? Whats the best way to prepare?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,316 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

"All undergraduate courses in Trinity College are open to mature applicants. Mature student applicants are not required to satisfy the normal matriculation requirements and are not required to meet competitive academic entry levels (e.g. Leaving Certificate points), but are considered in the first instance on the basis of how relevant their life, work and educational experiences are to the course(s) that they wish to pursue. In addition, all applicants should demonstrate an interest in and knowledge of their course choice(s)."

As from tcd.ie under medicine and mature students. Sorry guys, We'll try stay on topic! I have no problem with them looking for a candidate to have a lc, but it is the alternative, in fairness I wouldn't say there are many with a college degree looking to become a paramedic, thats not to say it won't happen, I know of two guys who have changed their career to paramedic after gaining a degree in college. It is just there is a bit of a contradiction on ucds part, you can't compare the lc with a primary degree, imo there is a big difference.

Imo, I think there is better suited candidates than someone with just the lc.

Does anyone know how many they plan to have on the panel?

96 was the figure mentioned on the NAS Strategic plan on their website. I've heard others say 100.

One thing's for sure. NAS are going to be flooded with applicants with every EMT waiting since 2010 hoping to get onto this panel not to mention any other suitably qualified person too. They'll have the pick of the bunch.

BX 19 wrote: »
    96 was the figure mentioned on the NAS Strategic plan on their website. I've heard others say 100.

One thing's for sure. NAS are going to be flooded with applicants with every EMT waiting since 2010 hoping to get onto this panel not to mention any other suitably qualified person too. They'll have the pick of the bunch.

"PICK OF THE BUNCH" alot of very goof if not better paramedics will be dismantled at the apptitute stage, some people are gifted at these but may not make good paramedics ie have loads of knowledge capabilty but nothing when it comes to practical. just a thought

*good

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭madmaxvideo

I had forgot they mentioned it in the plan, thanks BX19. Im sure they will have the pick of the bunch alright, can only imagine the amount of applications they will have to sift through:eek: on the plus side its good to see things moving in the right direction in the public sector, it will take the strain of existing employees from doing massive ot and putting in double shifts. Lets hope the terms of contract are good!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,607 ✭✭✭adam88

Terms might be good?????

I hope your joking. They have people by the short and curlies in this climate.

adam88 wrote: »
    Terms might be good?????

I hope your joking. They have people by the short and curlies in this climate.

I'm glad you picked up on the sarcasm :D, I'm sure they'll go to town on the new recruits, thats not to say they aren't already trying to with the existing employees.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,558 ✭✭✭seven_eleven

It pretty horrible feeling knowing how near-impossible it is to get this job isnt it? Of course I'll try my hardest forever and never give up, but the sheer difficulty of achieving a career as a HSE paramedic is almost...sickening.
    There are plenty of us well able for it, but unfortunately due to how limited the places are there will always be a handful of people who they chose over you.

I'm sure some have been trying for years to get this with no luck!
    :(

Oh well, positive thoughts! :) You have to be positive to perform your best!

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭Bang Bang

It pretty horrible feeling knowing how near-impossible it is to get this job isnt it? Of course I'll try my hardest forever and never give up, but the sheer difficulty of achieving a career as a HSE paramedic is almost...sickening.
    There are plenty of us well able for it, but unfortunately due to how limited the places are there will always be a handful of people who they chose over you.

I'm sure some have been trying for years to get this with no luck!
    :(

Oh well, positive thoughts! :) You have to be positive to perform your best!

It's not near impossible, there has been over 300 new Paramedics recruited and trained in recent years.
    Think positive and stay positive, if you enter into an exam or interview with a negative attitude then you are battling uphill straight away.

If you have had difficulty with your application in the past then look where you failed and work on it, turn it into a positive. Visit an ambulance station and get chatting to the folk there and learn more. Research, research and more research.

The best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭Flaker

Thankfully I have managed after a long wait to meet the requirements this time. How ever going back to the point, apptitute is a serious concern of mine, I purchased two physcometric testing books any one any advice on the next stage please, in desperate need for info? Whats the best way to prepare?

Go through publicjobs.ie and previous campaigns and they should have lots of different booklets and tests for you to try. They were there a wee while ago anyway. I found these great as it's hard to find anything really comparable online or in a book.

That was my experience anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭McCoy

hey all,

I've one or two questions, firstly does doing well in the aptitude tests guarantee you an interview ? or will it be judged on the info you provide in your interview application form ? or both ? Also, would anyone like to hazard an educated guess as to how many will be applying ? and as to how many will be eventually interviewed ?
    I know nobody knows but I'm just trying to give myself some idea as to the mountain I have to climb.... thanks folks

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭medic780

McCoy wrote: »
    hey all,

I've one or two questions, firstly does doing well in the aptitude tests guarantee you an interview ? or will it be judged on the info you provide in your interview application form ? or both ?
    If you don't pass the aptitude test stage you won't go forward for an interview I'm not 100% sure as to how many from the aptitude test stage will be called forward to the interview stage but once your called your ranking if successful at your interview will only be determined from your interview score.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,380 ✭✭✭sjb25

McCoy wrote: »
    hey all,

I've one or two questions, firstly does doing well in the aptitude tests guarantee you an interview ? or will it be judged on the info you provide in your interview application form ? or both ? Also, would anyone like to hazard an educated guess as to how many will be applying ? and as to how many will be eventually interviewed ?
    I know nobody knows but I'm just trying to give myself some idea as to the mountain I have to climb.... thanks folks
    From my reading of the application booklet the results of the aptitude test place you in band a b or c and people are called for interview on that as in people in band a offered interviews first then band b and then band c presumably depending on the amount of numbers who place in higher bands that accept the interview/meet requirements etc so the application pack will be used to assess if you are eligible/meet requirements also but does not affect the ranking/band you get placed in I could be wrong but that's how I think it works I'm sure somebody here knows and if im wrong i would be glad to be told also the rest of you're question I don't know but I would imagein a large number will apply I am only talking as far as interview stage the panel place you get won't be decided till after interview if successful

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭deltakilo

Hi,

Could someone please confirm that it is only a one page application form to be submitted on publicjobs.ie at this stage?

I'm worried I may have missed something.

Thanks.

deltakilo wrote: »
    Hi,

Could someone please confirm that it is only a one page application form to be submitted on publicjobs.ie at this stage?

I'm worried I may have missed something.

Thanks.
    yes that's it

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭deltakilo

Great, thanks.

Question: Would the C licence suffice for this? or does it have to be specifically a C1? I've read here on boards that the C licence is actually better. But looking at citizeninformation, I genuinly cant see any difference between the 2, aside from the age requirement.

Yes, C will suffice. C has an upper wight limit of 44,000kg as far as I know instead of 7500kg.

Category C licence should cover, the difference between the two are C1 covers up to 7,500 kg, and the C covers up to 46,000 kg. ;)

Category C licence should cover, the difference between the two are C1 covers up to 7,500 kg, and the C covers up to 46,000 kg. ;)

Ahh. Always thought it was 44 for some reason :)

• Advertisement

Question: Would the C licence suffice for this? or does it have to be specifically a C1? I've read here on boards that the C licence is actually better. But looking at citizeninformation, I genuinly cant see any difference between the 2, aside from the age requirement.
    D1 has seperate age restriction not c1 d1 is 21 c and c1 is 18 no difference in age the difference in c and c1 as has been said is weight restricted to 7500kg on c1 liecence I got c1 automatically on my liecence when I passed my class c test though you must not have ticked the box when adding the liecence

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭mr.dunkey

A Tip for anyone applying.
    Preparation is the key.You will have to stand out from the crowd.
    Prepare well for amplitude test, go on a course or read a book or two.
    Research the Nas .visit a station. know the latest things going on in the HSE

mr.dunkey wrote: »
    A Tip for anyone applying.
    Preparation is the key.You will have to stand out from the crowd.
    Prepare well for amplitude test, go on a course or read a book or two.
    Research the Nas .visit a station. know the latest things going on in the HSE

Definitely this. Read lots of documents on the ambulance service, including vehicle specs. And be prepared to answer a few scenario based questions and questions how to deal with conflict with workmates.

BX 19 wrote: »
    Ahh. Always thought it was 44 for some reason :)

You could be right, it could be 44,000kg, I thought the max gvw on artics was 46,000kg!! Open to correction.

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭antichrist

Latest NAS news gets posted here: http://www.hse.ie/eng/services/Find_a_Service/ambulanceservice/news/

There's also a link down the sidebar for policies and procedures, there you can see the latest clinical directives, handy to know too.

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭Juicy432

Do you need a C1 license to apply or can you obtain it later?

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭medic780

Juicy432 wrote: »
    Do you have too have a C1 license to apply or can you obtain it later?

You will not gain entry to the aptitude test without your C1 license. It clearly states this on the requirements to apply for the job.

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭mr.dunkey

Juicy432 wrote: »
    Do you need a C1 license to apply or can you obtain it later?

If you have a real intrest in the job, please read the job application and requirments.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88 ✭✭qwertypop

mr.dunkey wrote: »
    If you have a real intrest in the job, please read the job application and requirments.

It sickens me that people are asking these questions. It just shows the interest

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,533 ✭✭✭iceage

Nice to see there is no shortage of high horses around here, lads a bit of friendly advice costs nothing, I'm sure like the rest of us if people are interested in these positions they'll be scouring the net and forums such as Boards looking for said advice.

Advertisement