Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Would you consider voting a Majority Fianna fail for the next government?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 846 ✭✭✭Gambas

I'm going to have an extremely open mind voting in the next election because its really true that they're all as bad as each other.

No. No they aren't.

Only two groups in Irish politics ever make this claim:

FF voters on sabbatical looking for an excuse to return to the fold
    SF supporters who claim that their relationship with violence is the same as FF or FG's.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,440 ✭✭✭Markcheese

No chance would I vote for FF. In fact I'll probably vote independant. The next government will be FG, Sinn Fein and independants. Labour won't get a look in.

That's a recipe for inaction and disaster, FG couldn't go in with sinn Fein ,they'd never get a vote again...

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,444 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

At the last general election, I argued that if you didn't vote, you had no right to complain about how the country turned out under the government. In a way, I still agree with that. But by God, are the options pretty limited.

At the presidential election, I found myself in a situation whereby I wasn't voting for the best candidate but simply the least worst candidate, and I'd imagine that it will be the same again.

I won't vote for FG; the irony of people using the term "bunch of teachers" to insult them is brilliant, cause I won't be voting for them based on how they are hacking away at the teaching profession. They've done incredible damage to my life over the last few years, and only seem content at continuing that damage.

I won't vote for SF; I'm not half as anti-SF as I was last time though, in that when I wrote a letter recently to all my local TDs, Gerry Adams was one of only two to reply, and his letter was well thought out, and told me that he was on my side. Granted, it was probably just a "What i wanted to hear" letter, but it was more than I got off others (my FG TD replied as well, but effectively told me to **** off and shut up). But that aside, I can't look back at their recent history and vote for them top of my list, at least until they change the faces at the top of the party. And on top of that, I don't agree with their political messages at all. They'll get a higher vote that FG though.

Labour are obviously not getting a vote. Completly destroyed themselves over recent times.

I don't know if I trust in the ability of independents to actually represent my area, unless every other area in the country unanimously votes in independents as well.

So that leaves FF. I don't want to vote for them either. I understand fully all the damage they caused. But on the other hand, they can't destroy my life any more than FG are already doing. They, as a party, are a very bad choice, but what I'm left considering is if they are a better or worse bad choice than the other bad choices.

What I'd like is a genuine alternative to FF and FG who offer a similiar style of party line, but who don't sell out as soon as they get into power, and who don't **** up the country's young people at every opportunity.

Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if we see a FF/FG government next time round, but that the turn out will be so low as to nearly cross the line of throwing the whole vote out...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,437 ✭✭✭tritium

FF are well practiced at buying the votes of thOse groups that actually vote- the old, the public servants etc. These are also the groups that, rightly or wrongly, have been to the fore of claiming hardship under the current government. Last time out FF died because the groundswell of anger brought out a lot of other people to ensure they got shafted. The question is will they do so again?

Unfortunately I wouldn't bet against that self serving shower of parasites getting in again, they underhand the base Irish psyche too well. They haven't changed, but they know how to use sweet words to replace any substance or integrity.

Never forget

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Markcheese wrote: »
    That's a recipe for inaction and disaster, FG couldn't go in with sinn Fein ,they'd never get a vote again...

SF is inexorably becoming more popular, especially with younger people. Drop the voting age to 16 and it opens up further. I'll never vote SF but they will gain significantly in the next election. Two elections further down the road and they'll be in an even stronger position. People will ignore it until it starts looming. After all, both FF and FG have their roots as terrorists/freedom fighters (delete as appropriate). And when it does happen, SF will just be a normal political party.
    ...and waste your vote

Far better than spoiling my vote in protest at the lack of choice.

• Advertisement

At the last general election, I argued that if you didn't vote, you had no right to complain about how the country turned out under the government. In a way, I still agree with that. But by God, are the options pretty limited.

At the presidential election, I found myself in a situation whereby I wasn't voting for the best candidate but simply the least worst candidate, and I'd imagine that it will be the same again.

I won't vote for FG; the irony of people using the term "bunch of teachers" to insult them is brilliant, cause I won't be voting for them based on how they are hacking away at the teaching profession. They've done incredible damage to my life over the last few years, and only seem content at continuing that damage.

I won't vote for SF; I'm not half as anti-SF as I was last time though, in that when I wrote a letter recently to all my local TDs, Gerry Adams was one of only two to reply, and his letter was well thought out, and told me that he was on my side. Granted, it was probably just a "What i wanted to hear" letter, but it was more than I got off others (my FG TD replied as well, but effectively told me to **** off and shut up). But that aside, I can't look back at their recent history and vote for them top of my list, at least until they change the faces at the top of the party. And on top of that, I don't agree with their political messages at all. They'll get a higher vote that FG though.

Labour are obviously not getting a vote. Completly destroyed themselves over recent times.

I don't know if I trust in the ability of independents to actually represent my area, unless every other area in the country unanimously votes in independents as well.

So that leaves FF. I don't want to vote for them either. I understand fully all the damage they caused. But on the other hand, they can't destroy my life any more than FG are already doing. They, as a party, are a very bad choice, but what I'm left considering is if they are a better or worse bad choice than the other bad choices.

What I'd like is a genuine alternative to FF and FG who offer a similiar style of party line, but who don't sell out as soon as they get into power, and who don't **** up the country's young people at every opportunity.

Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if we see a FF/FG government next time round, but that the turn out will be so low as to nearly cross the line of throwing the whole vote out...

And why is FG having to make these cuts? Because theyre evil and they hate teachers? Or is it because FF left us broke and in the dirt?

And you're a teacher? Do us a favour an educate yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭duffman21

No.

But I wouldn't be surprised to see them back in, even with FG.

Labour will go the way of the Green Party.

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭superelliptic

Far better than spoiling my vote in protest at the lack of choice.

Yeah, but Indi-TD's rarely have the strength of numbers or the comminality of purpose to get anything done - hence the waste of a vote.

Whats needed is another party on the Irish political scene so that theres more choice*

(*just not an effin' Libertas Ver 2.0)

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

I will never vote or read/watch/listen to anything political again if that party is ever returned to power

• Registered Users Posts: 3,283 ✭✭✭ronjo

I apologise if I am wrong but this really reads like what a poster mentioned above.. ."An FFer on Sabbatical"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭Phoebas

It was FF incompetence that has led us to FG making the cuts you're complaining about.

You're kicking at the doctor because the surgery is painful and inviting the disease back in.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,444 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

ronjo wrote: »
    I apologise if I am wrong but this really reads like what a poster mentioned above.. ."An FFer on Sabbatical"

Tbh, at the moment I'd be leaning towards not voting at all. I just generally try to vote when I can, and don't want to not vote. But I've voted FG at every election I've been able to vote for so far.

I'm not defending FF at all. I'll just ask people here, give me alternatives. Cause what I see in this topic are a lot of people giving out (rightly, granted) about FF but failing to offer viable alternatives. All the choices are horrid to be frank. I'm not naive. Just trying to play devil's advocate and show people why FF probably have a good chance of getting into power....

To reiterate...

To reiterate...

Actually when was the last time FG came to power in a situation that wasnt preceded by FF screwing up the economy?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,362 ✭✭✭Sergeant

ronjo wrote: »
    Actually when was the last time FG came to power in a situation that wasnt preceded by FF screwing up the economy?

The rainbow coalition. They did some lovely things in their 2 and a bit years in power. Really kick started the Irish economy. Lowering the corporation tax was their great legacy.

The electorate threw them out though and voted in a lad called Bertie promising us all manner of goodies and riches.

• Registered Users Posts: 659 ✭✭✭HowAreWe

here in Cork most people I know cannot wait for the opportunity to vote FF, they worship the ground that wanker Martin walks on.

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭heffoo

Hell yeah

Sergeant wrote: »
    The rainbow coalition. They did some lovely things in their 2 and a bit years in power. Really kick started the Irish economy. Lowering the corporation tax was their great legacy.

The electorate threw them out though and voted in a lad called Bertie promising us all manner of goodies and riches.

When the rainbow coalition came in though, what was the situation as per my question?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,018 ✭✭✭Mike 1972

Any of the supposed "new generation" were perfectly happy to join and collaborate serve the party under Aherns leadership so all these assurances about the reformed "new" FF (TM) are essentially worthless.

slegs wrote: »
    You don't know a lot about politics if you think FG and SF will be coalition partners anytime soon

I wish I could agree with you but it wasnt so long ago that a DUP/Shinner Govt up here seemed an impossibility :(

• Registered Users Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

a new political party could run away wit the next election tbh but then again it wouldnt be long for the gombeenism to start.

I dont want to vote labour, fianna fail, fianna fail mark 2, sinn fein. all useless. ive no confidence in any of them to do the required job, ie change the political system

• Registered Users Posts: 2,941 ✭✭✭thebigbiffo

YES

*evil laugh from my Midlands power base

• Advertisement

Dempsey wrote: »
    a new political party could run away wit the next election tbh but then again it wouldnt be long for the gombeenism to start.

I dont want to vote labour, fianna fail, fianna fail mark 2, sinn fein. all useless. ive no confidence in any of them to do the required job, ie change the political system
    There's hardly enough time for a new party at this stage. Any new party would need to get established in time to run in the locals, and use that as a springboard for the GE.

Its not going to happen - so we need to look at the choices we have.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

HowAreWe wrote: »
    here in Cork most people I know cannot wait for the opportunity to vote FF, they worship the ground that wanker Martin walks on.

A possible solution? We sell Cork! That way they cant vote for FF :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

It depends. If they brought in another fake boom then I could actually sell my house!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭Herb Powell

I'm stunned that nearly a quarter of people chose FF.

Fucck this country.

• Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭jonbravo

We need to do things for our selfs, the trade unions are out of date...to form a real party for the people, a choice between 2 or 3 differing ideas would be a fine start.

Stop imports and exports ...bring the country to its knees and out them 2nd and 3rd generation d@c@heads!!
    Its not because we can its because we need too! Grow some balls people you know I'm right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,362 ✭✭✭Sergeant

jonbravo wrote: »
    Grow some balls people you know I'm right.

You really really aren't though.

... you know I'm right.
    I don't even know what you're saying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Stop imports and exports ...bring the country to its knees

:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭jonbravo

Phoebas wrote: »
    I don't even know what you're saying.

If you cant read its not my problem ..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Anyone

I'm not a fan of coalition governments whoever it is. For me it means the larger party cant install their own policies without trading off some things to the minority party(s). I definatley dont like independents sitting in government, they are a waste of a seat same as single issue parties.

Advertisement