Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Out of the loop - don't judge me!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,645 ✭✭✭IzzyWizzy

I have one because I need it for work. No other reason. I'm a freelance translator and would miss out on dozens of jobs otherwise. My phone is broken now and I basically can't leave the house all day in case a job comes in. If it wasn't for work, I wouldn't bother with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭WinnyThePoo

Have the same old nokia for seven years now, when it dies I will replace it with a smart phone.. doesn't look like its gonna die soon anyway. Its great, the battery lasts a week without charging.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,987 ✭✭✭Legs.Eleven

I don't see why people should scoff at you for not owning a smartphone, still plenty of 'dumb' phones around and of course there is an argument to be made that buttons are superior to touchscreens for input. If it works for you then great.

However you are fooling yourself if you think you aren't missing out on some level. The technology inside smartphones is simply superior to what you are using now, no question.

You have mentioned that you own a separate MP3 player and would like the Google maps functionality. Why not buy a smartphone and have all them features included on one device? Why carry 3 or 4 different devices when you just need one?

Your attitude doesn't make any sense, what if this was the late 90s or early 2000s and you refused to upgrade to one of the new Nokias at the time (something similar to what you have now) from an old brick-like Motorola simply because you "Don't want or need one. I've got the most basic of Motorola phones and it's perfect for my needs." That would be a bit silly wouldn't it? Peoples needs change all the time. Why not embrace superior technology? A smartphone could make life easier for you in ways you mightn't even imagine yet!

Maybe it's just your stubbornness that people are scoffing at.

I had a Motorola phone for years. I never had a Nokia back then and I barely used it. I only used it to text college friends to arrange a place to meet.

Listen, it's just how I am. As I said before, I've got a mobile that I barely use, so why would I get a smart phone? To me THAT wouldn't make sense. Not everyone has the same needs. Just because you like technology doesn't mean everyone does. I'm perfectly happy how I am. Genuinely. I'm not missing out on anything. If I felt I was, I would get one. I'm not THAT stubborn and I'm not getting one just to be difficult or to make a point - I simply don't need one. I don't know what's so difficult to understand tbh.

The google function would be handy but I'm not lost all the time and know 99% of the time where I'm going. Sometimes my friends suggest a bar to meet and then it would come in handy, I'll admit but I'm not going to fork out all that money because I'm occasionally trying to find a bar on a Saturday night - I can just ask someone.

As I said before, I'm not against smart phones in theory - I can genuinely see how they'd be useful for others but not for me. Really. I'm not a hipster, I'm not trying to be cool, I just don't need one.

Tbh, I won't be convinced any time soon. I'm not being stubborn here but it's like those adverts for bronzer or fake tan and some women say "I can't live without them".....well I can. Very easily. There was a time I couldn't live without cigarettes till I quit and others couldn't understand.

My mp3 player is great and if I forget it, I go home to get it. It'd put me in a bad mood for the day if I forgot it but my boyfriend doesn't own one and scoffs when I say I have to go back to get it and there's no convincing him. I suppose it's similar with smart phones and me.

I'm genuinely happy without one.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭Plazaman

fussyonion wrote: »
    .........It has a touch screen and I find it IMPOSSIBLE to text on.

My fingers aren't so fat they they won't find the right letters, but I keep hitting the wrong letters nonetheless.

It took me THREE MINUTES to text a message the other day, whereas back in the good old days of phones with BUTTONS, I was a whiz, tapping out a text in ten seconds...........

I had two touchscreens and had the same problem. I don't know have I fingerprints missing or weird genetically mutated fingertips the like that repel touchscreen technology but I could never do speed texting and more often than not the slide to answer thingy wouldn't work.

I have a Blackberry now. I love the buttons. Of course everyone asks "how can you text with those tiny buttons?". I've no problem texting (speedily) even with my chubloid thumbs.

Actually OP, Blackberry Curve would be a nice step up if you ever had to get another phone and I don't consider it a smartphone even with internet access and apps that I don't want..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Defiler Of The Coffin

I had a Motorola phone for years. I never had a Nokia back then and I barely used it. I only used it to text college friends to arrange a place to meet.

Listen, it's just how I am. As I said before, I've got a mobile that I barely use, so why would I get a smart phone? To me THAT wouldn't make sense. Not everyone has the same needs. Just because you like technology doesn't mean everyone does. I'm perfectly happy how I am. Genuinely. I'm not missing out on anything. If I felt I was, I would get one. I'm not THAT stubborn and I'm not getting one just to be difficult or to make a point - I simply don't need one. I don't know what's so difficult to understand tbh.

The google function would be handy but I'm not lost all the time and know 99% of the time where I'm going. Sometimes my friends suggest a bar to meet and then it would come in handy, I'll admit but I'm not going to fork out all that money because I'm occasionally trying to find a bar on a Saturday night - I can just ask someone.

As I said before, I'm not against smart phones in theory - I can genuinely see how they'd be useful for others but not for me. Really. I'm not a hipster, I'm not trying to be cool, I just don't need one.

Tbh, I won't be convinced any time soon. I'm not being stubborn here but it's like those adverts for bronzer or fake tan and some women say "I can't live without them".....well I can. Very easily. There was a time I couldn't live without cigarettes till I quit and others couldn't understand.

My mp3 player is great and if I forget it, I go home to get it. It'd put me in a bad mood for the day if I forgot it but my boyfriend doesn't own one and scoffs when I say I have to go back to get it and there's no convincing him. I suppose it's similar with smart phones and me.

I'm genuinely happy without one.

Well it sounds like you're quite content and that you are using technology the way you want to. Fair play. More power to you! I thought I detected a little bit of stubbornness earlier on but maybe that's just you getting all indignant on an internet forum :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

I used to love the yellow/lemon bit of a Loop the Loop ice lolly.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭fussyonion

joetoad wrote: »
    Less Curry's more onions

Less curry's, more onions? Huh??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭strobe

Oi! You calling me a hipster? You clearly don't understand what a hipster is! No self-respecting hipster would be seen without a smart phone, specifically an Iphone. Fact.

Not liking technology ong some new gadget simply because those around you have one makes you the total opposite of a hipster. Hipsters would buy a smart phone (Iphone) but the only thing they'd do to distinguish themselves is put one of them pretend cassette tape covers on them.

How not buying a smart phone simply because you don't want one or need one (and not because everyone has one) makes someone a hipster is beyond me. You need to double-check your definitions, pal!

:eek: Hit a nerve there did I?

I didn't say hipster, I said pseudo-hipster. And I really don't think I need to check it's definition as I'm fairly certain I just coined the phrase... therefore it means what I say it means.

What makes you a pseudo-hipster is that although, loads of people have non-smart phones, I see them all day every day, not many of them tend to stop you on the street just so they can point out to you "look, look, I don't even have a smart phone!", only a pseudo-hipster would do that, as pseudo-hipsters feel compelled to point out to people that "x is a trend and I'm so super individual I'm not even following x".
    Several posts in your thread fit the M. O.
    If it looks like a duck...

Now, toddle along you little scamp with your adorable pseudo hipster ways.

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭Ms. Pingui

I'd rather have a separate phone, mp3 player, sat nav etc. because if you lose/ break your smartphone, you have'nt just lost your phone, you have lost ALL your devices!
    I have a very basic nokia and I love it. More people should have phones without cameras imo, then I could safely log into facebook without being bombarded with photos of peoples dinners. Wrecks my head!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

There's a guy in work who is the other extreme to smart phone boasters.

He always tries to get the smallest, most near-to-obsolete phones he can and make sure you know about it.

Definitely more eminently punchable than a smart phone fanboy, except perhaps for iPhone addicts.

• Advertisement

strobe wrote: »
    :eek: Hit a nerve there did I?

I didn't say hipster, I said pseudo-hipster. And I really don't think I need to check it's definition as I'm fairly certain I just coined the phrase... therefore it means what I say it means.

What makes you a pseudo-hipster is that although, loads of people have non-smart phones, I see them all day every day, not many of them tend to stop you on the street just so they can point out to you "look, look, I don't even have a smart phone!", only a pseudo-hipster would do that, as pseudo-hipsters feel compelled to point out to people that "x is a trend and I'm so super individual I'm not even following x".
    Several posts in your thread fit the M. O.
    If it looks like a duck...

Now, toddle along you little scamp with your adorable pseudo hipster ways.

Still baffled as to what the difference between a pseudo-hipster and a genuine hipster is.

I don't think I've ever stopped anyone in the street to let them know but perhaps I was drunk when you met me?

Actually ye know what? Maybe it is a bit hipster (pseudo?) hipster of me. Ah well.

anncoates wrote: »
    There's a guy in work who is the other extreme to smart phone boasters.

He always tries to get the smallest, most near-to-obsolete phones he can and make sure you know about it.

Definitely more eminently punchable than a smart phone fanboy, except perhaps for iPhone addicts.

Really depends on your perspective and which side of the bridge your looking from. I think the Iphone fanboy user is much more vocal.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

My phone is used so little to make calls and texts that I get O2 ringing me up for deals and then realising it's not even worth their time because of how little I spend. :pac:

Smartphones are handy but I've no use for one, at the moment anyways.

Duggy747 wrote: »
    My phone is used so little to make calls and texts that I get O2 ringing me up for deals and then realising it's not even worth their time because of how little I spend. :pac:

Smartphones are handy but I've no use for one, at the moment anyways.

Pseudo hipster!

Count your blessings your not a real one though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,076 ✭✭✭✭Czarcasm

Ms. Pingui wrote: »
    I'd rather have a separate phone, mp3 player, sat nav etc. because if you lose/ break your smartphone, you have'nt just lost your phone, you have lost ALL your devices!
    I have a very basic nokia and I love it. More people should have phones without cameras imo, then I could safely log into facebook without being bombarded with photos of peoples dinners. Wrecks my head!

Even worse than the dinner photos and the duck faces and the "biggin' it up stylie with the laaaads" photos on facebook reason for no cameras on phones, is when you're out ACTUALLY enjoying yourself, until some prick comes along with his fùck off size galaxy S3 or iphone and starts taking pics to upload to facebook!

Happened to me more frickin' times, I'm almost like a monk going out at this stage the way I can't relax without some tool taking a picture of me as I'm lifting a pint to my mouth! Why?? Name of jesus WHY like?

Though I do remember once I was with a friend and some douche was about to go all happy snappy, she looked at him and goes "get that phone out of my face before I shove it up your hole!", never expected to hear something like that out of her! Cracked me up tbh! :pac:

Smartphones really like anything else have their place, I know plenty of people that don't use one simply because they don't need it, or their main concern is being able to make and take calls and battery life and they keep their agenda separate in a diary. Some people just have no interest in technology as it just wrecks their brain.

Me I'm kinda both worlds- I use a smartphone for making and taking calls and texts obviously, e-mail, messenger, skype, viber, whatsapp, organising my agenda, the odd time I'll use the camera... and then I just have another cheap smartphone for making and taking calls and texts, that I might not have to charge in a week because I don't have mobile data turned on. It's great for when the battery runs out on the smartphone and I can just switch the SIMs over till I get home! :D

Actually ye know what? Maybe it is a bit hipster (pseudo?) hipster of me. Ah well.

No, you're absolutely safe.

No self-respecting hipster, pseudo or otherwise, would ever use the term 'Ye'.
    :)

Candie wrote: »
    No, you're absolutely safe.

No self-respecting hipster, pseudo or otherwise, would ever use the term 'Ye'.
    :)

Still trying to figure out the pseudo hipster thing. A hipster, by their very nature is a phoney. That's what makes them a hipster. It's like being a pseudo wanker. They kind of cancel each other out.

I'm sure I'll be enlightened by Mr Bee In His Bonnet soon enough....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭bodice ripper

Nokia 3210 and denouncing smart phones is hipster as ****. I know these things. At least 5 of my mates are on that tip now...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭Daveysil15

Czarcasm wrote: »
    Even worse than the dinner photos and the duck faces and the "biggin' it up stylie with the laaaads" photos on facebook reason for no cameras on phones, is when you're out ACTUALLY enjoying yourself, until some prick comes along with his fùck off size galaxy S3 or iphone and starts taking pics to upload to facebook!

Happened to me more frickin' times, I'm almost like a monk going out at this stage the way I can't relax without some tool taking a picture of me as I'm lifting a pint to my mouth! Why?? Name of jesus WHY like?

I fecking hate that too. A group of a girls ripped my shirt off one night, and of course, I got snapped by a couple people with their phones. Clubbing is shyte ever since they invented phones with integrated cameras. :mad:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

fussyonion wrote: »
    I got Vodafone to switch the Internet off on my phone because I realised they were taking credit off me everyday; something that is normal with Smartphones because they need to "update" or something.

Eh, you could have disabled background data yourself

• Advertisement

bluewolf wrote: »
    Eh, you could have disabled background data yourself

I think that's the point right there of the whole thread though bluewolf- some people are not as au fait with smartphones as other people, and more people again just have no interest at ALL in smartphones.

My father in law is a classic example of one of those people that couldn't be àrsed keeping up with technology. He likes the ideas and stuff, but he usually gets me to do take care of all that side of the business for him.

He near had a shìt fit of excitement when I showed him how to print off an invoice from my tablet with a domestic wireless printer in one of his lorries using his galaxy s2 as a wireless hot spot between the two. I showed him how to do it and he started talking about getting an tablet and how handy it would be for him, but chances are he'll just never do something like that on his own, and stick to his fax machine in the lorry for printing out invoices and shipping dockets.

The only reason he got the galaxy s2 was because he got it as an upgrade, but sure he hasn't a notion how to do anything else on it besides make and take calls, the man can't even send a text, and his inbox was full of those directory enquiry texts not even opened! :pac:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Czarcasm wrote: »
    I think that's the point right there of the whole thread though bluewolf- some people are not as au fait with smartphones as other people, and more people again just have no interest at ALL in smartphones.

Well, that's fair enough, but either go back to an old phone then or figure out how to use it before saying you hate it! Or posting online saying part of the reason you hate smartphones is that they dock credit for no reason and that's normal. It isn't.

I completely understand that people don't want or like them, I was resistant for long enough as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭strobe

I'm sure I'll be enlightened by Mr Bee In His Bonnet soon enough....

Aww, here I was thinking you were taking the high road, or rising above it, or some such thing after you previous (second) edit. Guess not?

Making people mistakenly think you're taking the high road... also classic pseudo-hipster behaviour btw.

Kind of unrelated, but just as a piece of interesting trivia, so is using a number in a username on a website Legs.Elev... ohh. Oh my..
    :pac:

bluewolf wrote: »
    Well, that's fair enough, but either go back to an old phone then or figure out how to use it before saying you hate it! Or posting online saying part of the reason you hate smartphones is that they dock credit for no reason and that's normal. It isn't.

I completely understand that people don't want or like them, I was resistant for long enough as well.

I think it's just a thing where people get them because they don't know any better (the Nokia 6210 is only to be got in India, they're still so popular there because people might go two weeks without ever getting near a charger, and then on the other end of the scale, still in India, they have some of the world's most gifted software devs for custom roms for the latest snazzy androids and nokias!).

But you have the likes of that poster that only wants a phone to make and take calls, but gets sold a smartphone. It can be a bit like shoving one in front of Alexander Graham Bell and asking him see what he makes of that baby! :pac:

Nokia 3210 and denouncing smart phones is hipster as ****. I know these things. At least 5 of my mates are on that tip now...

What if your NOT denouncing smart phones (except for those who use them at inappropriate times) but simply ranting that others keep scoffing (I've had a few scoffers on this very thread!) at your phone as is the case with me? I don't think I've once told a person I've a Nokia (it's not a 3210 btw) outside of Boards but people notice when I take it out to use the odd time I do.

strobe wrote: »
    Aww, here I was thinking you were taking the high road, or rising above it, or some such thing after you previous (second) edit. Guess not?

Making people mistakenly think you're taking the high road... also classic pseudo-hipster behaviour btw.

Kind of unrelated, but just as a piece of interesting trivia, so is using a number in a username on a website Legs.Elev... ohh. Oh my..
    :pac:

As I said, just glad I'm not an actual hipster. A peudo one I can live with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 381 ✭✭Gorilla Rising

I hate the 'I'll upload this to Facebook' gang of muppets!

Nothing wrong with just taking a phone out and taking a picture though. No different to using a camera really.

I'd take the odd photo with my phone. I don't upload them anywhere, but if they're good I'll hang onto them.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

I had a 3510i for 10 years, now I have an s3. WHO DO I SIDE WITH AHHH

I had a 3510i for 10 years, now I have an s3. WHO DO I SIDE WITH AHHH

The hipsters or the pseudo hipsters....the choice is yours!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭bodice ripper

What if your NOT denouncing smart phones (except for those who use them at inappropriate times) but simply ranting that others keep scoffing (I've had a few scoffers on this very thread!) at your phone as is the case with me? I don't think I've once told a person I've a Nokia (it's not a 3210 btw) outside of Boards but people notice when I take it out to use the odd time I do.

ah well, getting a few aul scoffs is still better than paying money for something you don't want, so its grand

anyway, it was just an observation about what hipsters are doing. doesn't mean you are one too.

Advertisement