Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Out of the loop - don't judge me!

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 295 ✭✭joetoad

A) I am poor b) The fact that it bothers you so much makes you look like even more of a simpleton.

I am simple. I am currently on the bog taking an enormous guiness ****e while typing this on my smartphone. You smell pretty, so pretty

• Registered Users Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

joetoad wrote: »
    Do you not like the idea of free phone calls and chatting with friends for free? If you do a bit of travelling their your best friend!

It's spelled they're.

No spellcheck on that smartphone of yours? For shame!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,154 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

I'm not getting a smart phone. Ever. Not unless normal run-of-the-mill phones become obsolete and I'm forced to buy one. The reason? I don't want or need one. I've got the most basic of Nokia phones and it's perfect for my needs. It's got Snake, a flashlight, a little calendar to note down birthdays and Shark Week and it can text and make phone calls. It also has a ringtone sounds like a baby giggling and who doesn't love a (cute not ugly) baby? I'm happy as Larry!

Recently people (friends and colleagues) have actually been scoffing at the fact that I don't own one. Up till about 2 years ago no one batted an eyelid but now people openly laugh at me and my phone and now they have a right auld gawk at it like I've taken out a tube of thrush cream to make a phone call on. I feel like I'm making some kind of one woman protest against smart phones when all it comes down to is the fact that I simply don't want one.

Am I the only one? Anyone else like me? Anyone else feel persecuted? And if you do judge, why?

I have pretty much a basic smart phone and while i respect your outlook my advice would be not to knock them before you try them. Once you have one i find its hard to go back to a basic phone and i say this as someone who despises facebook. There are alot more free apps to it then just FB or twitter. You'd be pleasantly surprised. They are expensive but youd get a basic one for around the 80 euro mark. Nokias are good too though ill admit. Theyve never let me down to be fair. Always good to have one in reserve especially the cheap ones that have huge battery life

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,007 ✭✭✭Phill Ewinn

A) I am poor b) The fact that it bothers you so much makes you look like even more of a simpleton.

I'm giving away free shags to poor attractive ladies. Kinky phone stuff optional.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Da Shins Kelly

I don't have a smartphone either. My phone does the very basics - sends and receives texts and calls and has a calendar and an alarm. That's all I need. I don't feel the need to be constantly checking things on the internet, 'checking-in' on Facebook and using all these different apps and what have you. It's all so unnecessary. I was sat in my sister's house with a couple of other people last week, and we were actually all sitting there in silence while they flicked through their phones on the internet. What's the point in hanging out with people if you're not even going to talk to them, and instead just sit there staring at a phone? :confused: It's pretty rude, to be honest.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 295 ✭✭joetoad

It's spelled they're.

I apologize, wanna make out?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭meoklmrk91

To be honest I loose my mind if I don't have a data connection nevermind say giving up my smartphone. I have had an iPhone since 2010, honestly couldn't be without it, I don't understand how people can just do with an ordinary phone tbh but that's just me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 595 ✭✭✭Steve O

meoklmrk91 wrote: »
    To be honest I loose my mind if I don't have a data connection nevermind say giving up my smartphone. I have had an iPhone since 2010, honestly couldn't be without it, I don't understand how people can just do with an ordinary phone tbh but that's just me.

Same as, brilliant on the bus if you are stuck in a traffic jam. Plus the fact that they double as a music player.

I sound like an old fuddy-duddy when I say I think they're destroying face-to-ace interaction. I see every teenage person with their faces stuck in it constantly and I wonder what the future holds. There has to come a point when we say "enough is enough" and I think we're well beyond that point at this stage.

From the point that they are almost taking all of our attention then id agree but its like anything really. Everything has a novelty element for a certain period and then the world moves on to something else. Im sure even this had its moments from time to time :)
    http://alntv.files.wordpress.com/2011/10/cup__ball_mid.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭Daveysil15

I'm not getting a smart phone. Ever. Not unless normal run-of-the-mill phones become obsolete and I'm forced to buy one. The reason? I don't want or need one. I've got the most basic of Nokia phones and it's perfect for my needs. It's got Snake, a flashlight, a little calendar to note down birthdays and Shark Week and it can text and make phone calls. It also has a ringtone sounds like a baby giggling and who doesn't love a (cute not ugly) baby? I'm happy as Larry!

Yeah but just imagine snake in colour on a bright HD screen. :D Nah what ever works for ya. I only got a smart phone recently because my old one which I had for 3 years broke, and I didn't like the look of the new non-smart phones. It's a basic one though and I don't bother using it for bookface or twitter or any of that shyte. Calls, texts and mp3's - that's all I want. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,987 ✭✭✭Legs.Eleven

Steve O wrote: »
    Same as, brilliant on the bus if you are stuck in a traffic jam. Plus the fact that they double as a music player.

So is a book and an mp3 player.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Who cares what other people think op

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,225 ✭✭✭Yitzhak Rabin

My friends and I have a rule when we go out to dinner. We leave our phones on the table and if anyone checks theirs during the course of the meal they have to pay for everyone. Good way of getting peoples face out of their phones.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 595 ✭✭✭Steve O

So is a book and an mp3 player.

Mp3 player?! ohhhh look at you.:p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭Liamario

You are single-handedly holding back technological progress. tut tut tut

I would even go as far to say that if people like you were in the majority, we'd still be without electricity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭Daveysil15

I sound like an old fuddy-duddy when I say I think they're destroying face-to-ace interaction. I see every teenage person with their faces stuck in it constantly and I wonder what the future holds. There has to come a point when we say "enough is enough" and I think we're well beyond that point at this stage.

Some people just live their lives online, face buried in the phone. It makes it difficult when you're trying to ask them for a shift.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 381 ✭✭Gorilla Rising

So you have what, actual conversations with people?

How do you instagram pictures of mediocre food, while saying its the best meal evarrrrr?

How do you take selfies with your besties?

Can you actually find your way anywhere?

How can you breathe without an app to remind you?

People are the problem here, not smartphones.
    It's spelled they're.

Spelled? If you're going to be a grammar nazi at least get it right.

My friends and I have a rule when we go out to dinner. We leave our phones on the table and if anyone checks theirs during the course of the meal they have to pay for everyone. Good way of getting peoples face out of their phones.

Why have such a silly annoying rule, you wouldn't get a rule like that among my friends how can people keep up to date on things?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭Spunge

what ****ing sucks abotu smartphones is you have to charge them EVERY DAY. i only got one for the first time a few weeks ago and its a pain in the ass. my old phone would last a few weeks without charging, i think ill still use it as my phone and use the smartphone well not even as a phone just as a smart.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭tacofries

Get with the times woman!!!

Posted from iphone

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

you probably get better battery life too

With antibiotics? Definitely.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

Spelled? If you're going to be a grammar nazi at least get it right.

http://grammarist.com/spelling/spelled-spelt/

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/spell

I did.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 505 ✭✭✭Koptain Liverpool

So you like yo check your facebook, respond to emails, check sport scores is avoiding real life hmmm. Brace yourselfs the high horses are coming saying its stupid to have a smart phone and shud replace it with a nokia 3210. bahaha

I check facebook, respond to emails and check sport scores when I'm on the internet at home. When I'm not at home I talk to people and have fun with my friends. You probably have no friends (teenage thai ladyboys on facebook don't count) so it probably is best you have a smartphone to have something to keep you occupied when sitting in the pub alone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,219 ✭✭✭woodoo

I don't have one either, mainly because the battery on my current phone lasts about a week and anyone i know with a smart phone is charging it everyday. I couldn't be bothered with that hassle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,622 ✭✭✭Ruu

Nokia 6310i, great job. Snake, calculator, text, call, triband. All I need. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,219 ✭✭✭woodoo

Once you go black you'll never go back!

Thats racist and i'm outraged. Page 32 of the PC bible forbids such utterances.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,736 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

woodoo wrote: »
    I don't have one either, mainly because the battery on my current phone lasts about a week and anyone i know with a smart phone is charging it everyday. I couldn't be bothered with that hassle.

It's not a hassle.. charge it overnight when you go to bed?

I have a Galaxy Note 2 and it's fantastic. Best phone I've owned yet (having come from the Note 1, Galaxy S2, HTC etc)

Battery lasts about a day and a half with medium-heavy usage.. and I'm not into FB either.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,057 ✭✭✭irish bloke

I care! I agree with the OP and find it interesting to discuss.

Maybe you need to get a smartphone too, then you wouldn't be so bored as to care abt the OP wanting one or not.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

I agree on people checking their phones during a meal or something.
    If you're expecting someone on their way or something that's actually important and you clarify and explain and don't do it again, fine, but sitting there with your face in it is rude

Advertisement