Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Out of the loop - don't judge me!

Options

Comments

I don't need to do those things though and didn't we all get by perfectly fine without them? I can wait 'till I get home. I have an mp3 player already. I'll admit the google maps thing appeals but not enough to fork out for one.

I couldn't be without one now, we got on ok before them but people got on ok without electricity, without computers, without the internet etc so should people not bother with these too.

Smartphones are one of the greatest inventions of modern times, I cant imagine not having one now. I have to send my phone back to apple for a warranty repair and I'm dreading being without it. How can I keep constant track of sports I'm following, check facebook and twitter, bet on the move, check emails, quickly look things up online, free text people outside the country without what's app etc etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

So you have what, actual conversations with people?

How do you instagram pictures of mediocre food, while saying its the best meal evarrrrr?

How do you take selfies with your besties?

Can you actually find your way anywhere?

How can you breathe without an app to remind you?

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

I'd never be able to live without a smartphone.

WiFi and data is brilliant, it gives me free texts (use your 600 free webtexts..on you phone!), Viber and Skype gives me free calls to most people I call.
    Browser means you can find out anything whenever you want, it's great for me cos I Google everything.

GPS is probably one of the handiest inventions ever to be available on a mobile phone, I can always always find out where I am and go where I want, it's brilliant if you live in a city.

Music on your phone..come on you can't do that on an old Nokia 3210.

Camera is as good as a digital camera.

I even love my Alarm Clock App that won't shut up unless I do a maths sum! Plus it goes off at the same time Mon to Fri.

I'd rather a smartphone than walk around with an mp3 player, sat nav, camera, phone and a laptop.

Use a smartphone for a month, you won't want to part with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

I don't need to do those things though and didn't we all get by perfectly fine without them? I can wait 'till I get home. I have an mp3 player already. I'll admit the google maps thing appeals but not enough to fork out for one.

Doesn't it bug anyone else that many people seem to have their faces stuck in them most of the day even when talking to them? It's a bit rude, no?

People got by without mobiles before too so why have one at all ? Same with lots of things.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭DerekDGoldfish

The main reason I havent switched to a smart phone is I dont want to be one of those people who needs to recharge thier phone every 2 minutes, It appears every smart phone user is constantly rusing from location to location as fast as possible to re-charge thier phone in case they might have to go a few hours without playing angry birds or tweeting about thier latest ****e.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,987 ✭✭✭Legs.Eleven

I couldn't be without one now, we got on ok before them but people got on ok without electricity, without computers, without the internet etc so should people not bother with these too.

Smartphones are one of the greatest inventions of modern times, I cant imagine not having on now. I have to send my phone back to apple for a warranty repair and I'm dreading being without it. How can I keep constant track of sports I'm following, check facebook and twitter, bet on the move, check emails, quickly look things up online, free text people outside the country without what's app etc etc.

Fair enough. I suppose I know myself and I don't want that kind of reliance on technology for things that can wait 'till I get home. Creating a need where there isn't one. I spend a fair amount of my spare time on the internet while at home (I'm not at home much) but I the fact that when I leave the house I'm having a break from it and live my life like a relatively normal, adjusted human being.

I CAN see how it could be handy but it hasn't got to the point where I feel I need it yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Nimrod 7 wrote: »
    I'd never be able to live without a smartphone.

WiFi and data is brilliant, it gives me free texts (use your 600 free webtexts..on you phone!), Viber and Skype gives me free calls to most people I call.

GPS is probably one of the handiest inventions ever to be available on a mobile phone, I can always always find out where I am and go where I want, it's brilliant if you live in a city.

Music on your phone..come on you can't do that on an old Nokia 3210.

Camera is as good as a digital camera.

Browser means you can find out anything whenever you want, it's great for me cos I Google everything.

I even love my Alarm Clock App that won't shut up unless I do a maths sum! Plus it goes off at the same time Mon to Fri.

I'd rather a smartphone than walk around with an mp3 player, sat nav, camera, phone and a laptop

That "ohh I already have all those" oh..you have 6 devices or one device that probably does everything they all do. on the flip side I dont own an mp3 player, it'd be pointless since my phone IS an mp3 player

People got by without mobiles before too so why have one at all ? Same with lots of things.

I suppose the fact that every one got one meant you were excluded from things and missed out on things because you didn't have one. Twas the reason I eventually got one. It'll probably be the same with Smart Phones eventually, I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,057 ✭✭✭irish bloke

I don't own a tv either.

Ah jeasus, your must be a hippy so??

Fair enough. I suppose I know myself and I don't want that kind of reliance on technology for things that can wait 'till I get home. Creating a need where there isn't one. I spend a fair amount of my spare time on the internet while at home (I'm not at home much) but I the fact that when I leave the house I'm having a break from it and live my life like a relatively normal, adjusted human being.

I CAN see how it could be handy but it hasn't got to the point where I feel I need it yet.

You can do that even if you do own a phone? You're not bound by oath to have your face stuck in it all day ya know

• Advertisement

The main reason I havent switched to a smart phone is I dont want to be one of those people who needs to recharge thier phone every 2 minutes, It appears every smart phone user is constantly rusing from location to location as fast as possible to re-charge thier phone in case they might have to go a few hours without playing angry birds or tweeting about thier latest ****e.

If you charge them every night they will easily last a full day unless you are using it very heavily for watching videos, using it as a wireless hotspot etc.

Ah jeasus, your must be a hippy so??

Ehhh...more to do with the fact that Spanish television is pure crud and I'd rather spend my money on Jaffa Cakes.

That's cos people leave everything on all the time and it drains the battery in a few hours, one of the girls at work was whinging her iphone wasnt lasting a day, she had wifi (no wifi in the building) on, bluetooth on, both ringtones and vibrate even though it was on the desk in front of her, push notifications for everything etc etc. you can turn all those off and it'll last way longer.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

I don't see the point of complaining about it and making a point of not getting a smartphone. As it stands now, the cheapest smartphones aren't really any more expensive than your standard feature phone from Nokia. If all you want to do is talk and text, use a calendar and play the occasional game of Snake, any smartphone can do that and then some.

It's not as if being more versatile makes them less able to do the basics.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,507 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

I do not own a cellphone of any description smart or otherwise. I don't feel excluded from any loop.

krudler wrote: »
    You can do that even if you do own a phone? You're not bound by oath to have your face stuck in it all day ya know

Many people are addicted to their phones to the point that they can't converse with the people around them properly. It becomes a little more obvious when you don't have one.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

No all apps are pointless, right now I can pull out my phone, transfer money to my credit card, search and book a flight over to my parents place, book a rental car if I need one and pay the toll price to get up to dublin before I leave, and arrange a hotel and transport to the airport.

on a phone.
    That's mad no matter what way you look at it, I find it funny that the people who decry smartphones the most are the ones who don't own or want one. Course there's pointless uses for them but nobodys forcing you to do anything, you can get a perfectly good android phone for 100 quid and do tons of stuff that's really handy to have if you're stuck, yay for options.

I can do all that stuff on my laptop at home, why would I need to do it while I'm out shopping? I have yet to ever be in a situation where I'm so stuck, I've cursed not having a smartphone to help me out.

An actual phone call usually does the trick if I have some sort of mini emergency whilst out and about.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭DeanAustin

I do not own a cellphone of any description smart or otherwise. I don't feel excluded from any loop.

Love the idea of that to be honest but, as much as I hate them, mobile phones are very useful if someone needs to reach you.

That said, I lost my phone for a week a while back. The only messages I had when I found it were from a golf club telling me about their latest competition and my manager's manager being a cheapass looking to borrow something off me...perhaps I don't need it after all. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,324 ✭✭✭BillyMitchel

Same OP, couldn't give a crap about phones. Mine is about 7 years old. Thing is I sort of cheat, I'd prob use my iPod touch more than my phone these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,917 ✭✭✭0ph0rce0

That's cos people leave everything on all the time and it drains the battery in a few hours, one of the girls at work was whinging her iphone wasnt lasting a day, she had wifi (no wifi in the building) on, bluetooth on, both ringtones and vibrate even though it was on the desk in front of her, push notifications for everything etc etc. you can turn all those off and it'll last way longer.

No point in having a phone that does everything if you turn all those features off.

Basically your iPhone or android phone turns into to a nokia 3210

And the iphone/android clowns who say ooooohhhhhhhhhhhh look how great it looks thats why i bought it, and then go put a case on it 3 times the size of the phone :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,938 ✭✭✭mackg

Friend of mine was a bit pissed there a couple of weeks ago and a guy came up to him asking if he could send a message off his phone. Friend said grand, took out 3210 style yolk. He barely had it out of his pocket when your man turned his nose up and went "you're grand bud".

I can do all that stuff on my laptop at home, why would I need to do it while I'm out shopping? I have yet to ever be in a situation where I'm so stuck, I've cursed not having a smartphone to help me out.

An actual phone call usually does the trick if I have some sort of mini emergency whilst out and about.

Who said anything about an emergency? just gave examples of apps that aren't pointless. It's just cool having the option, and having the entire internet in the palm of your hand is pretty handy.

mackg wrote: »
    Friend of mine was a bit pissed there a couple of weeks ago and a guy came up to him asking if he could send a message off his phone. Friend said grand, took out 3210 style yolk. He barely had it out of his pocket when your man turned his nose up and went "you're grand bud".

In fairness its painful trying to type a message on a keypad when you are used to a touch screen keyboard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,076 ✭✭✭✭Czarcasm

I thanked the op for the shark week comment.

Fùck, I only got that when I read it again! Christ I'm slow, but I was still laughing at the comment about people looking at her like she'd just taken out a tube of thrush cream to make a phone call :pac:

OP seriously though, that laughing baby ringtone was never cute, it was always just freaky, like carrying a pedophile whistle in your pocket.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

mackg wrote: »

Ha! You'd swear he took out a slate and some chalk or something :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,917 ✭✭✭0ph0rce0

In fairness its painful trying to type a message on a keypad when you are used to a touch screen keyboard.

Come on now, Its not hard at all ffs, Its a button and you press it just like you do with a touch screen phone

• Registered Users Posts: 2,057 ✭✭✭irish bloke

Many people are addicted to their phones to the point that they can't converse with the people around them properly. It becomes a little more obvious when you don't have one.

Thats just your opinion and not true at all tbh. If you don't want one, don't get one. No one really cares.

Personally I find them great. Everything is at the touch of a button, making more and more time for the important things in life..

0ph0rce0 wrote: »
    No point in having a phone that does everything if you turn all those features off.

Basically your iPhone or android phone turns into to a nokia 3210

And the iphone/android clowns who say ooooohhhhhhhhhhhh look how great it looks thats why i bought it, and then go put a case on it 3 times the size of the phone :rolleyes:

Yeah because the 2 seconds it takes to turn on bluetooth renders the phone useless, no point in having them all on if you're not using them. I get texts and emails straight away anything like facebook or twitter updates I just open the app a few times a day to check, hate having the phone going off constantly if you're always getting notified of stuff.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

I'm not getting a smart phone. Ever. Not unless normal run-of-the-mill phones become obsolete and I'm forced to buy one. The reason? I don't want or need one. I've got the most basic of Nokia phones and it's perfect for my needs. It's got Snake, a flashlight, a little calendar to note down birthdays and Shark Week and it can text and make phone calls. It also has a ringtone sounds like a baby giggling and who doesn't love a (cute not ugly) baby? I'm happy as Larry!

Recently people (friends and colleagues) have actually been scoffing at the fact that I don't own one. Up till about 2 years ago no one batted an eyelid but now people openly laugh at me and my phone and now they have a right auld gawk at it like I've taken out a tube of thrush cream to make a phone call on. I feel like I'm making some kind of one woman protest against smart phones when all it comes down to is the fact that I simply don't want one.

Am I the only one? Anyone else like me? Anyone else feel persecuted? And if you do judge, why?

Shark Week and a flashlighy on a basic Nokia phone? That's luxury boss, get yourself one of these!

http://nukephones.com/popup_image/pID/99

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 295 ✭✭joetoad

When I travel the GPS is fantastic to find where I'm going, I can do online banking, book a hotel, look up bus times, check email, facebook, make bets on sports, twitter, check latest sport scores when out,view PF and documents, make FREE phonecalls via Viber, listen yo music, watch live sports, go on youtube.

Do people ot have smartphones because they feel afraid they will not be able to use one?

Advertisement