Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Out of the loop - don't judge me!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭NegativeCreep

I dont get the argument that smartphones break easily. I've had mine for 3 years and it's not given me any trouble at all. The battery lasts a full day too and I charge it all night so mo complaints there either.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭MickFleetwood

I don't even own a phone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭strobe

I'm such a plays by his own rules individual rebel I just keep a pigeon in my pocket incase I want to contact someone further than shouting distance away.

Serious stank of pseudo-hipster off of this thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

strobe wrote: »
    I'm such a plays by his own rules individual rebel I just keep a pigeon in my pocket incase I want to contact someone further than shouting distance away.

Ooh Mr Fancy Pants keeps a pigeon in his pocket. Well lah-de-dah good enough for some - lucky to have a job, running water, bone marrow.

I keep kindling in a handkerchief and use shmoke signals like we did in t'olden days. None of that fancy shmancy avian communication systems here.

Hah, I hate hipsters. I don't own a phone because I just contact people through Facebook, not because I think I'm some rebel or something.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,390 ✭✭✭IM0

I dont get the argument that smartphones break easily. I've had mine for 3 years and it's not given me any trouble at all. The battery lasts a full day too and I charge it all night so mo complaints there either.

try dropping it on the floor/ground, from a few feet, ESPECIALLY if its a touchscreen

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭NegativeCreep

IM0 wrote: »
    try dropping it on the floor/ground, from a few feet, ESPECIALLY if its a touchscreen

Accidentally dropped it down the stairs once and accidentally hopped it off a rock in the zoo and all it has to show for it is a barely noticeable chip off the top right-hand corner :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 806 ✭✭✭getzls

My Nokia is about eight years old. o2 have told me i am entitled to a free Samsung Galaxy Ace 2, don't want it as my old Nokia is fine for me.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 295 ✭✭joetoad

getzls wrote: »
    My Nokia is about eight years old. o2 have told me i am entitled to a free Samsung Galaxy Ace 2, don't want it as my old Nokia is fine for me.

Would you not just take the phone and sell it then?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,309 ✭✭✭T-K-O

I'm the exact same OP but about electricity, fcuk that sh1t

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

Because some people don't own a smartphone it makes them hipsters now??

Well I've definitely never been accused of that one before! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭Tonyandthewhale

I hate those tosspots smartphone fanboys who think I'm being 'individual' or 'retro' or 'hipster' because I use a basic phone.

I don't own a smartphone because if I go hiking or mountain biking and I have a fall/twist my ankle etc I want to be able to take my phone out of my pocket and call mountain rescue. I don't want to take my iphone out of my pocket to see that the screen has been smashed in the fall and all I've got is a 600e paper-weight.

There are other issues, battery life (I'm not at home every night to charge it so **** that), cost etc and I'm sure smartphones will catch up there eventually but for now, for me, reliability is king.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,987 ✭✭✭Legs.Eleven

Oi! You calling me a hipster? You clearly don't understand what a hipster is! No self-respecting hipster would be seen without a smart phone, specifically an Iphone. Fact.

Not liking technology or buying some new gadget simply because those around you have one makes you the total opposite of a hipster. Hipsters would buy a smart phone (Iphone) but the only thing they'd do to distinguish themselves is put one of them pretend cassette tape covers on them.

How not buying a smart phone simply because you don't want one or need one (and not because everyone has one) makes someone a hipster is beyond me. You need to double-check your definitions, pal!

Genuine question: has anyone ever in all their lives seen a hipster without an Iphone? No? I rest my case. :cool:

Genuine question: has anyone ever in all their lives seen a hipster without an Iphone? No? I rest my case. :cool:

I think he was talking to me because I don't own a phone. Apparently I should buy something even though I have no use for it.

I think he was talking to me because I don't own a phone. Apparently I should buy something even though I have no use for it.

No doubt I'll be labelled a hipster too but I'm like you - I don't use my phone really except for the alarm and the odd text and to receive the odd phone call from my boss. All my communication is via Facebook and email. It's just how it worked out. I used to be made for the texting and phone calls but Facebook has almost completely replaced that.

No doubt I'll be labelled a hipster too but I'm like you - I don't use my phone really except for the alarm and the odd text and to receive the odd phone call from my boss. All my communication is via Facebook and email. It's just how it worked out. I used to be made for the texting and phone calls but Facebook has almost completely replaced that.

Indeed. What do I need a phone for? I can contact anybody I need to contact via Facebook. When I'm out an about I've never had to use a phone.

I have been considering picking up a ****, cheap phone in case of emergencies but in general I've never needed a phone.

iPhone sent back for a warranty repair and I'm using an old Nokia now for a few days and painful is the word for it. Its just so inferior in every way, trying to type texts with a keypad is an abomination, I've nearly dropped the phone trying to type and its so bloody slow.

iPhone sent back for a warranty repair and I'm using an old Nokia now for a few days and painful is the word for it. Its just so inferior in every way, trying to type texts with a keypad is an abomination, I've nearly dropped the phone trying to type and its so bloody slow.

But does it have a flashlight?

But does it have a flashlight?

No flashlight :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,255 ✭✭✭Yawns

I'm 26 and don't have a mobile phone...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 595 ✭✭✭Steve O

All you need are lenseless glasses and a faux American accent now, then you'll be full hipster.

No flashlight :eek:

My Nokia has a flashlight :cool:

My Nokia has a flashlight :cool:

It has a radio does that count for anything?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,288 ✭✭✭TheUsual

Yawns wrote: »
    I'm 26 and don't have a mobile phone...

I still don't know what a tracker mortgage is...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭fussyonion

I have a Smartphone but I hate it.

It has a touch screen and I find it IMPOSSIBLE to text on.
    My fingers aren't so fat they they won't find the right letters, but I keep hitting the wrong letters nonetheless.

It took me THREE MINUTES to text a message the other day, whereas back in the good old days of phones with BUTTONS, I was a whiz, tapping out a text in ten seconds.

I got Vodafone to switch the Internet off on my phone because I realised they were taking credit off me everyday; something that is normal with Smartphones because they need to "update" or something.

I don't download apps and I hate answering it because of the stupid touchscreen.

I was as happy as a pig in poo when I had my old Nokia with the loveable, yet frustrating Snake and my lovely buttons.

Hate touchscreen/Smartphones.

• Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭Scruffles

havent even got a mobile phone of any kind,whether a nokia brick or a so called smart phone,am communication impaired and cannot use phones,and buying one just for the point of texting utter bollox when am able to do that for free with the family/support staff via facebook or email does not make any sense.:cool:

one day people wont even need phones anyway,they will just make the call in their head thanks to EEG technology,they may end up in a pysch ward due to passerbys thinking theyre delusional and halucinating but it will have a apple logo on the device and thus make every sheep like person buy it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 295 ✭✭joetoad

fussyonion wrote: »
    I have a Smartphone but I hate it.

It has a touch screen and I find it IMPOSSIBLE to text on.
    My fingers aren't so fat they they won't find the right letters, but I keep hitting the wrong letters nonetheless.

It took me THREE MINUTES to text a message the other day, whereas back in the good old days of phones with BUTTONS, I was a whiz, tapping out a text in ten seconds.

I got Vodafone to switch the Internet off on my phone because I realised they were taking credit off me everyday; something that is normal with Smartphones because they need to "update" or something.

I don't download apps and I hate answering it because of the stupid touchscreen.

I was as happy as a pig in poo when I had my old Nokia with the loveable, yet frustrating Snake and my lovely buttons.

Hate touchscreen/Smartphones.

Less Curry's more onions

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Defiler Of The Coffin

Recently people (friends and colleagues) have actually been scoffing at the fact that I don't own one. Up till about 2 years ago no one batted an eyelid but now people openly laugh at me and my phone and now they have a right auld gawk at it like I've taken out a tube of thrush cream to make a phone call on. I feel like I'm making some kind of one woman protest against smart phones when all it comes down to is the fact that I simply don't want one.

I don't see why people should scoff at you for not owning a smartphone, still plenty of 'dumb' phones around and of course there is an argument to be made that buttons are superior to touchscreens for input. If it works for you then great.

However you are fooling yourself if you think you aren't missing out on some level. The technology inside smartphones is simply superior to what you are using now, no question.

You have mentioned that you own a separate MP3 player and would like the Google maps functionality. Why not buy a smartphone and have all them features included on one device? Why carry 3 or 4 different devices when you just need one?

Your attitude doesn't make any sense, what if this was the late 90s or early 2000s and you refused to upgrade to one of the new Nokias at the time (something similar to what you have now) from an old brick-like Motorola simply because you "Don't want or need one. I've got the most basic of Motorola phones and it's perfect for my needs." That would be a bit silly wouldn't it? Peoples needs change all the time. Why not embrace superior technology? A smartphone could make life easier for you in ways you mightn't even imagine yet!

Maybe it's just your stubbornness that people are scoffing at.

Advertisement