Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Justice Minster Alan Shatter opinions on the man

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

Not a fan of his for a number of reasons. I don't blame him for the collapse of Ireland's justice system but it certainly seems to have become far, far worse under his direction in terms of the number of suspended sentences handed out for serious offenses, and also on the other end of the scale, the amount of "on the spot" power the Gardai have to enforce "laws" above and beyond what's written in the statute books, such as "Grafton street must be completely devoid of people by X AM".

This could just be my opinion of course, maybe neither of the aforementioned issues have actually got worse under Shatter and were always as awful as they are now?

With regard to the Israel situation, I detest his attitude especially towards pro Palestinian activists but he's not Minister for Foreign Affairs so does it really matter? He has no authority in that area except to make noise, and as we've seen from people like Leo Varadkar, sticking one's fingers into pies which belong in other departments is not exclusive to Shatter, it's an unfortunate trait which seems to apply more or less across the board...

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Though I must say the gardai and the far-left make unusual bedfellows....

Strange Bedfellows? Maybe the gardai aren't checking as diligently as you are for them pesky reds under the bed :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,225 ✭✭✭Yitzhak Rabin

Vizzy wrote: »
    Not insinuating anything !!

Paranoid much ???

You said you found my response interesting given my username. Care to expand on that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭Ranicand

Nodin wrote: »
    No, sure I'll just ask you - What do ye think of Jews?

I think many of them have a keen interest in academic hobbies.

What do you think of me because to be honest I am no longer feeling the love and I might even consider putting you on my Ignore List.

Well to be honest you could not really call it a list as you would be the first person on it.

Anyway it only a message board no hard feelings.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,362 ✭✭✭Sergeant

His personal manner can be slightly abrupt, but having Bertie Ahern levels of superficial charm isn't a requirement for holding ministerial office. Like all departments, cutbacks have had to be made, but the streets of Dublin haven't turned into something like you'd see in an episode of The Wire.

Doing a solid job.

• Advertisement

With regard to the Israel situation, I detest his attitude especially towards pro Palestinian activists but he's not Minister for Foreign Affairs so does it really matter? He has no authority in that area except to make noise, and as we've seen from people like Leo Varadkar, sticking one's fingers into pies which belong in other departments is not exclusive to Shatter, it's an unfortunate trait which seems to apply more or less across the board...
    At the same time keeps conveniently quiet on Israel.

Make up your mind lads. He either speaks about Israel too much, or keeps conveniently quiet. Which is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,673 ✭✭✭flutered

shatters firm were/are the most expensive family law firm in ireland, perhaps the upkeep of his manhattan apartments are the reason for that, he has a few more scattered about elsewhere one must assume.

flutered wrote: »
    shatters firm were/are the most expensive family law firm in ireland, perhaps the upkeep of his manhattan apartments are the reason for that, he has a few more scattered about elsewhere one must assume.

So he had the utter temerity to be successful in his profession. Why bring that into it?

Sergeant wrote: »
    So he had the utter temerity to be successful in his profession. Why bring that into it?

Yes well done to Alan it's a pity others in his clan could not follow his shinning example.

Shatter's in-law is quizzed in fraud probe

Howard Danker, who is in his 40s, was arrested and quizzed at Dun Laoghaire Garda Station yesterday.

It is understood Mr Danker was detained under the provisions of Section 4 of the Criminal Justice Act.

He was released without charge and a file is to be prepared for the Director of Public Prosecutions.It is believed the arrest was made by detectives assigned to the garda fraud squad as part of a probe into the management of properties.

Mr Danker and his family lived in Marbella in Spain but has returned to Ireland in recent times.

Minister Shatter did not return calls and his spokeswoman at the Department of Justice did not comment.

Full story here.http://www.herald.ie/news/shatters-inlaw-is-quizzed-in-fraud-probe-29105003.html

• Registered Users Posts: 2,529 ✭✭✭Vizzy

You said you found my response interesting given my username. Care to expand on that?

Ok,Ill bite.

Given your username,as I said,it was interesting(or maybe predicable) that you would be the first to defend Mr Shatter having regard to his stance on Israel.

You're not him are you ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,713 ✭✭✭HondaSami

Ranicand wrote: »
    Yes well done to Alan it's a pity others in his clan could not follow his shinning example.

Full story here.http://www.herald.ie/news/shatters-inlaw-is-quizzed-in-fraud-probe-29105003.html

That fcuk all to do with him tbf.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

I think many of them have a keen interest in academic hobbies.

Jaysus thats mad. The last time you were convinced they were big on the arts.....
    Yet I bet you would fiy of the handle if I suggested we should reduce the toxic influence of Jewish Hollywood
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=83446320&postcount=36
    All Hollywood studios are Jewish owned and run.
    Hollywood movies are full of casual sex drug use and violence.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=83446744&postcount=63

• Closed Accounts Posts: 797 ✭✭✭Dwork

What are you insinuating?
    I think he might be saying you're a FG fanboy who would say day was night if it supported the government point of view :eek: Which is shocking, obviously untrue, demeaning and defamatory. I would demand a retraction if I was you. But then I'm not you.

I'm not hugely fond of Alan myself. TBH. In the same way I'm not fond of steping in dog-poo and walking it across the hall carpet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

Ok,Ill bite.

Given your username,as I said,it was interesting(or maybe predicable) that you would be the first to defend Mr Shatter having regard to his stance on Israel.

You're not him are you ?

I don't recall Yitzhak Rabin making any reference to Israel before you noted his username was interesting.

It's terrible how some people can't look past a person's race or religious preference. I thought we'd have progressed beyond all that by now. :(

So Alan Shatter is supposed to be responsible for the actions of his in-laws?

Ridiculous nonsense.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 388 ✭✭Truncheon Rouge

flutered wrote: »

Begrudge harder son, he's getting away.

HondaSami wrote: »

He is minster for Justice having extended family investigated for fraud must be some what embarrassing to Minster Shatter?

He is minster for Justice having extended family investigated for fraud must be some what embarrassing to Minster Shatter?

Embarrassing yes but you cannot blame him for the actions of his family and im no fan of Alan Shatter but im all for fair play.

Ok,Ill bite.

You're not him are you ?

No I am not Alan Shatter. Shockingly enough there is more than one Jewish man in Ireland.

Why would think its predictable? Do you think Jews are part of one big pulsating hive mind?

Also I haven't expressed a position on Israel. I just said shatters position isn't all that relevant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Embarrassing yes but you cannot blame him for the actions of his family and im no fan of Alan Shatter but im all for fair play.

But sure they're all in it together.....
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=83898192&postcount=43

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭King of Kings

shatter is an arrogant dickhead.
    He is all bluster and full of jumped up self importance and certainly not as witty as he thinks he is.

It's hard to find a more disliked politician at the moment.
    What are you insinuating?

your name (of a former Israeli PM) and his unwavering support of israel - would kinda link you ....or I could be mad ....mad as a bag of spanners..:rolleyes:

well his wife was nabbed for drink driving. might explain his current impasse with the gardai given they'd the cheek to arrest her.

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/shatters-wife-in-drinkdriving-ban-26709770.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 655 ✭✭✭hyperborean

He looks like a greasy perv, which of course he is not.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,184 ✭✭✭3ndahalfof6

He looks like a greasy, that ill do pig
    that ill do.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,529 ✭✭✭Vizzy

I don't recall Yitzhak Rabin making any reference to Israel before you noted his username was interesting.

It's terrible how some people can't look past a person's race or religious preference. I thought we'd have progressed beyond all that by now. :(

What ??

"Race and religious preference"- I never mentioned either.
    (as regards race,I assume that Mr Shatter is Irish)
    TBH I couldn't give a flying f5ck if Mr Shatter was Jewish,Muslim,Catholic or a member of the Moonies,it doesn't affect me either way.
    But if you want to bring in some anti-semetic untertone,fire away.
    -

well his wife was nabbed for drink driving. might explain his current impasse with the gardai given they'd the cheek to arrest her.

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/shatters-wife-in-drinkdriving-ban-26709770.html

Im aware of the incident and of course he was embarrassed by it and im sure very annoyed with her and the gardai who stopped her, only human after all.
    I don't think he is the best person for the job and this is one of the reasons, he has a dislike for AGS.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

He was well looked after when his house got burgled in March 2012.
    Permant garda on duty outside, technical team in the white suits and a team of detectives picking up people and taking them to seperate garda stations

I only remember the date as I was burgled the same week and still waiting for someone to call me back from the local station

I'm not an important citizen :(

• Registered Users Posts: 25,067 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

I don't really have a strong opinion on the man, but as Defense Minister I think he should try to keep his pro-Israel bias to himself. Especially as Irish people are serving abroad in pertinently volatile areas.. his aired views could possibly make targets of Irish troops.

I'd have the same opinion if it was a Minister speaking vehemently against Israel btw.

Im aware of the incident and of course he was embarrassed by it and im sure very annoyed with her and the gardai who stopped her, only human after all.
    I don't think he is the best person for the job and this is one of the reasons, he has a dislike for AGS.

He also has a need to make cuts due to the fact that we spend 12 billion euro more than we take in. I'm sure he isn't on a personal mission to annoy the Gardaí. He works in tandem with the civil servants in his department to make these decisions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,288 ✭✭✭TheUsual

I don't like blueshirts and he's a Grade A blueshirt.
    Him and Phil Hogan are very similar political beasts.

On the positive side :
    One good story I read about him in Phoenix magazine was a joke he made back when the P.D.'s were in Government with Fianna Fail. He was at a Fianna Gael fund-raiser and made a joke about the fact that there were Jewish member's of every political party except the P.D.'s : He said "You have to be a complete prick to be in the P.D.'s"
    Funny.

• Advertisement

Sergeant wrote: »
    He also has a need to make cuts due to the fact that we spend 12 billion euro more than we take in. I'm sure he isn't on a personal mission to annoy the Gardaí. He works in tandem with the civil servants in his department to make these decisions.

I know but he still has gardai 24/7 at his house, is this necessary and if it is should he not pay a private security firm to do it?
    He is cutting the pay of the people who have to sit in his garden all day ffs

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement