Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCM 2013: Mentored Novices Thread......Take 2

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭career_move

Sorry to hear that LM. Must be very disappointing for you :(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

Sorry to hear that LM. Must be very disappointing for you :(

Thanks. But I don't really give too much of a 5hite about the GIR at the weekend. It's the long term goal of the DCM that I'm really gutted about. This injury reoccurance puts a huge dent in the confidence I have of getting thru the training!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭career_move

Laois_Man wrote: »
    Thanks. But I don't really give too much of a 5hite about the GIR at the weekend. It's the long term goal of the DCM that I'm really gutted about. This injury reoccurance puts a huge dent in the confidence I have of getting thru the training!
    You were saying a while back that you hadn't taken any step back weeks. I wonder did this contribute to the reoccurence?

You were saying a while back that you hadn't taken any step back weeks. I wonder did this contribute to the reoccurence?

Interesting theory but I'm not sure that's it. I only started LSR's 3 and a half weeks ago on March 14th and even then I cut my overall weekly milage from 30K (10K x 3) to 28K (12K LSR + 8K x 2) . Last week it was 34K (14K LSR + 10K x 2).

I think my back would give out regardless. Coming back from my injury last Summer, I very slowly built up my runs to 5K and then stayed at that distance for 4 whole months before I had the confidence to go further. You may remember also that I was a bit of a retard a couple of weeks ago and did 2 LSR's in 3 days just cos I had loads of free time one morning - and I think that's what has done me in. The feckin thing has been just gradually waiting to go on me since then. And it duly obliged yesterday evening - and I was only doing 5K!

I have a feeling a major part of my problem is poor running form\posture but I don't know how to get help on that.

Maybe now you understand why I've been so anxious to get way ahead of the HH plan! :-|

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

Do you do any core work to strengthen your back up Laois_man or are you able? It may help you if are able to do some.

• Advertisement

tang1 wrote: »
    Do you do any core work to strengthen your back up Laois_man or are you able? It may help you if are able to do some.

Yes I did do some but to be honest, I didn't keep it up. I struggle to get excited about indoor workouts. Plus, I guess I was guilty of thinking the back issues were behind me (terrible pun). When I got the injury last July, I was seeing a physio and he gave me a couple of exercises to do which I haven't done in ages.

But before this happened, I had signed up to an 8 week pilates class - and that starts this coming Monday. Hopefully that'll be the right thing to do and will help alot.

Also on the plus side, I'm alot fitter and I'm carrying about 23 pounds less in weight than last July (I weigh 12st 10lbs now). So I'm hoping I can come back much quicker than I did then. I'm just not sure when I should attempt to run again even if I feel OK. Or for how long I should run for. If I woke up on Sunday morning and felt OK, I'd be tempted to head to the Pheonix Park for GIR but I don't know if that would be another retarded idea to entertain.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

Have you been to a Physio? Catherina McKiernan does courses on Chi Running - about E150 but if it worked it would be worth it to get you sorted out. For core strength you could consider pilates. Main thing is that until you're told there's no way around it, there could be a way around it.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭runwithme

I'm a major doubt for The Great Ireland Run this coming Sunday. I'm gutted. I had some bad back trouble last July shortly after I started my training where I tried to do too much too quick. So when I eventually recovered, I built up my running distances very VERY slowly. Until recently that is - when about 4 or 5 weeks ago I got cocky and started doing LSR's and built up to 14K and now my July injury is back. I dunno how I'm supposed to follow a marathon training plan if my back wants to make me build up much much slower than even the most basic novice plan instructs!

Gutted and very frustrated! :(

Your long term goal is much more important = DCM 2013. So plenty of rest and maybe a look at what could be causing the pain. Lots of possibilities which im sure you will look at, running form, trainers, too much road running so maybe hit the park, running too fast etc. I do a lot of core work and I have to say it keeps me strong for my running. I mix up my training with some cycling as well.I also run in the park once or twice a week as it really helps to take the pressure off the joints. Don't despair you have loads of time. Take the time to sort out the niggles and you will be up and running stronger then ever. :D

Now if I could up my speed in my running id be a happy lady:D

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Perkina3

Would second the mckiernan running classes...Meant to be very beneficial...

With respect to your injury Laois man it would be a case of literally forcing yourself to do the indoor stretches... I had a shoulder injury which was in danger of affecting my job so I had to force myself to do it before going to bed and that worked....Maybe you could find a similar stick to use??? Just a thought??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

Yes I did do some but to be honest, I didn't keep it up. I struggle to get excited about indoor workouts. Plus, I guess I was guilty of thinking the back issues were behind me (terrible pun). When I got the injury last July, I was seeing a physio and he gave me a couple of exercises to do which I haven't done in ages.

But before this happened, I had signed up to an 8 week pilates class - and that starts this coming Monday. Hopefully that'll be the right thing to do and will help alot.

Also on the plus side, I'm alot fitter and I'm carrying about 23 pounds less in weight than last July (I weigh 12st 10lbs now). So I'm hoping I can come back much quicker than I did then. I'm just not sure when I should attempt to run again even if I feel OK. Or for how long I should run for. If I woke up on Sunday morning and felt OK, I'd be tempted to head to the Pheonix Park for GIR but I don't know if that would be another retarded idea to entertain.

My advice is forget GIR, and i wont be the only to tell you that. It wont do you any favours running it, competitive juices will be flowing and you end up doing more damage to your back by going to hard.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭RunningKing

tang1 wrote: »
    My advice is forget GIR, and i wont be the only to tell you that. It wont do you any favours running it, competitive juices will be flowing and you end up doing more damage to your back by going to hard.

+1 to that. It's an unforgiving race.
    There's a 10k on 4th May in Clontarf, fairly flat, maybe that's doable?

+1 to that. It's an unforgiving race.
    There's a 10k on 4th May in Clontarf, fairly flat, maybe that's doable?

I've got thoughts on a few different races. That's not one of them. There's two in Laois on April 28th and May 5th. Kilkenny on May 6th and The Curragh on May 12th. They're better for me. I'll tentatively target one of those.

Tomorrow I'll have to see if I can get a refund of most of my entry fee for GIR. I've done some light exercises and the injury seems to be recovering well already but I know I shouldn't do it. Yes. That's what I'll keep telling myself! :-/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭RunningKing

Let me know how the refund goes, I have a number myself, but not running it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭RedRunner

Let me know how the refund goes, I have a number myself, but not running it.

Me too! and I'm curious as to what kind of back injury you have. I had a prolapsed disc earlier in the year and have always had lower back problems.A recurring hamstring injury is prompting me to give GIR a miss. I'm trying to increase the discipline in stretching and core work too to try and reduce the instance of injuries. Good luck with the recovery.

RedRunner wrote: »
    Me too! and I'm curious as to what kind of back injury you have. I had a prolapsed disc earlier in the year and have always had lower back problems.A recurring hamstring injury is prompting me to give GIR a miss. I'm trying to increase the discipline in stretching and core work too to try and reduce the instance of injuries. Good luck with the recovery.

Mine is an bulging disc which irritates the sciatic nerve on my right side where I wouldn't feel any pain whatsoever in the actual back itself but the area around my right quads would be in bits. I'd be walking with a severe limp and I'd find it impossible to run for more than a few seconds.

When I got the original injury, I wasn't even aware it was a back issue until I saw my doc and physio. He assured me it wasn't anything overly serious. But it still took ages to get over and my freaked-outness of the injury was based on how long it took to get over it last time.

But I seem to be recovering much quicker this time (hoping that doesn't jinx it). I feel a lot better today - ony a slight pain. I'm thinking of doing a very short, very very slow run this evening. No more than 3K or so...just to see! Certainly won't be doing any LSRs for a couple of weeks even if it seems to be going well. I really need to research more good back strength/stretch excersises and get back to doing stuff like planks. And as I said, pilates starts on Monday evening!

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭shortstuff!

How did your run go loaisman? Hope your back held up ok... Take it slow and steady!

With all this talk of injuries I did a bit of impulse buying and ordered the grid foam roller, the OH reckons it's a unnecessary gimmic but he's not a runner do I didn't listen! can't wait for it to arrive and inflict a bit of pain on myself;)

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭runwithme

How did your run go loaisman? Hope your back held up ok... Take it slow and steady!

With all this talk of injuries I did a bit of impulse buying and ordered the grid foam roller, the OH reckons it's a unnecessary gimmic but he's not a runner do I didn't listen! can't wait for it to arrive and inflict a bit of pain on myself;)

The foam roller is great. You will have many happy hours rolling around the floor at home or in the gym and getting yourself into all sorts of positions:D. Yet its great and once I remember to actually use it...I seem to forget more often then not. I put it in the hallway so I walk by it coming back from my run. Enjoy

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Truedat

Hello everyone

I found out about this thread about 2 weeks before doing the last years DM. Full confession I am basically one of those awful people who did no training whatsover and did the DM anyway. It was a total disaster - ended up finishing in 5.15 - freezing cold in the lashing rain with knees that felt like they would never recover. It was truly the most horrific experience. I promised myself I would never do it again....yet within a few weeks I knew I wanted to do it properly and beat that time.

So this year everything will be different and I am really looking forward to following this thread....best of luck everyone!!

I decided to leave my run another 24 hours so I did it this evening, 5K, slowly - around 10:40 minutes per mile pace. Any lingering thoughts I had of making the GIR on Sunday are well and truely gone now with the pain I have around the groin area.

For those who were asking about me getting a refund for GIR....it's too late to get one! They're slimey feckers about it even if it wasn't too late - they won't give refunds without a doctors note. They know full well nobody will pay €50+ to get a doctors not so they can get a €24 refunded out of the €29 entry fee paid.

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭DULLAHAN2

23 miles done this week. Felt good. Am on the lookout for new runners at the min my current ones wont make it to the start of the marathon plan. Also on the look out for a flat and fast 10k in june.

• Advertisement

Was in a right huff watching the GIR on telly earlier. Would love to have been out there. Conditions 'n all.

Quiet week ahead of me as far as the road goes. Gonna force myself to rest til next weekend apart from pilates and a bit of home work

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭shortstuff!

Smart move LaoisMan....

21.5miles done this week, including a nice wet LSR yesterday & a windy recovery this evening, would take that any day over what the guys in Rotterdam experienced today!

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭KillianByrne

Good Luck everyone - I'm a DCM12 Novice thread graduate and still going. Have fun and I look forward to keeping in touch with you all.

Never cheat your long runs! - if I failed in one place last year (through no real fault of my own, I just started training late) I just didn't have enough miles in the legs to keep going at full belt for the 26.2m. Now is a great time to get started on building mileage. Most of all enjoy yourselves, this is a big commitment and it will take over your life at times!

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭KillianByrne

Oh, for those considering not telling anyone, I'd inform your wife/husband/partner; they'll begin to wonder...

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭greenb

Did my longest ever run last weekend, 14.3miles, and have a question around training pace. I really don't know if I'm going too fast, too slow or just about right. My best racing time has been 39:5X for Raheny 5 mile....I've only ever run a couple of 5k races outside of this.

Most of my runs midweek vary in pace between about 8:30/m to 9:40/m and distance 3 to 8 miles. Usually only one of four runs a week is at the faster end of that range.

My Lsr pace is usually about 10:00/m which normally feels comfortable enough......however last weekend when I got to mile 11 I felt good and decided to go all out for 2 miles and try to post a decent (for me) half marathon time on my Garmin. Miles 12 and 13 were at 8:00 min pace, so the half was done in 2:07, and I just jogged the remaining 1.3 miles.

My question........was this a bad idea?, did I negate some of the benefit of the LSR by going all out for 2 miles? and in general, do my training paces seem ok for my level?

Thanks for any advice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

greenb wrote: »
    Did my longest ever run last weekend, 14.3miles, and have a question around training pace. I really don't know if I'm going too fast, too slow or just about right. My best racing time has been 39:5X for Raheny 5 mile....I've only ever run a couple of 5k races outside of this.

Most of my runs midweek vary in pace between about 8:30/m to 9:40/m and distance 3 to 8 miles. Usually only one of four runs a week is at the faster end of that range.

My Lsr pace is usually about 10:00/m which normally feels comfortable enough......however last weekend when I got to mile 11 I felt good and decided to go all out for 2 miles and try to post a decent (for me) half marathon time on my Garmin. Miles 12 and 13 were at 8:00 min pace, so the half was done in 2:07, and I just jogged the remaining 1.3 miles.

My question........was this a bad idea?, did I negate some of the benefit of the LSR by going all out for 2 miles? and in general, do my training paces seem ok for my level?

Thanks for any advice.

If you are just doing mileage I think this is no harm at all to throw in a mile or two at the end at Half Marathon pace. I know a 66 min HM guy who actually does this sort of thing a good but when he is in his base building phase.

The problem would be if you start to do this every run you are not letting your body the chance to recover.

Best advice I can give people is treat the recovery time between runs as serious as the runs themselves. Hard training is essential for improvement but if you run hard the whole time you will not give your body the chance to recover and adapt. Its a two part process

ecoli wrote: »
    If you are just doing mileage I think this is no harm at all to throw in a mile or two at the end at Half Marathon pace.

Thanks ecoli. The mile or two definitely wasn't my half marathon pace though! more like my 5 mile and maybe at a stretch my 10k race pace (8m/miles). I'd be over the moon if I thought I could do 13+ miles at that pace.

greenb wrote: »
    Thanks ecoli. The mile or two definitely wasn't my half marathon pace though! more like my 5 mile and maybe at a stretch my 10k race pace (8m/miles). I'd be over the moon if I thought I could do 13+ miles at that pace.

Sorry I misread the bit about HM. I would say slow it down slightly. Again if you just building the miles at the moment then you may probably get away with it but training shouldnt be about getting away with it. We put enough time and effort into the sport so its about being smart and getting the best bang for your buck

Cheers ecoli....I appreciate the advice.

• Advertisement

Oh, for those considering not telling anyone, I'd inform your wife/husband/partner; they'll begin to wonder...

In the initial stages though you can be clever and "give them peace and quiet" on a Sunday morning for a lie in. I remember using this to earn brownie points a few years back on a weekend away (which unbeknown to her was the reason we were away as I was pacing the Great Limerick run:D)

Advertisement