Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCM 2013: Mentored Novices Thread......Take 2

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭career_move

Gavlor wrote: »
    I really think you should all reconsider this approach. Fear of failure is a huge part of the motivation required to run a marathon. I'd go as far as saying the more people that know the more focused you will be.
    I agree. I think as well that it gives you confidence when you tell people because it makes it more real if you know what I mean. It's saying to yourself 'Ya I'm doing this' :D

• Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭davemcmahon

Laois_Man wrote: »
    I don't think that's odd at all. I stay very quiet about my ambitions to run DCM. Partly due to expecting something to go wrong and not wanting to appear to be making excuses for chickening out!

If you look at last years thread alot of people didn't tell others about doing it until late on in training. At this stage its very early so I wouldn't worry about telling them. Come August or September you'll be telling everyone and anyone that will listen.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

There was a woman on last years thread that didn't tell her mum til the morning of the race! I would be on the side of telling people, it makes it more real and makes it harder to make excuses not to go out and train!

I think most people you tell are very supportive and pretty much in awe of what you're planning to do so it can be a real confidence boost to get that reaction.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

For me it depends on you and the people around you. If you think you'll need the support and/or you'll readily get the support then it makes sense to work off that.

If however you're not blessed with positive, supportive people around you, then I can understand you keeping it to yourself.

Also some people do these things just for themselves and I can understand that too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭career_move

Dilbert75 wrote: »
    For me it depends on you and the people around you. If you think you'll need the support and/or you'll readily get the support then it makes sense to work off that.

If however you're not blessed with positive, supportive people around you, then I can understand you keeping it to yourself.

Also some people do these things just for themselves and I can understand that too.
    Have you thought about a career in politics?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

You might say that, I couldn't possibly comment...

• Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭docjewel

First off,big congrats to career_move on getting this gig,the 2013 novices are in good hands.

Secondly best of luck to anyone doing DCM this year as a novice.

This is just the beginning of a new journey.For some it may be a once off,doing it for your own gratification or doing it to raise funds for a charity/school etc,for others it'll be a small step on the ladder to greater things in your running career.
    Whatever your madness reason for doing DCM this year,remember you only get one chance to enjoy the experience of your first marathon :), it really is something to be cherished,only 1% of the world population run a marathon so you'll be in an elite club:D.

Some of the training days will be tough,family/work/weather etc will get in the way but I don't think I can do justice enough in words for the feeling & the roar/excitement of the crowd as you approach the last few miles as you head to the finish line.
    It really is truly an amazing experience & one I'd recommend to experience at least once in your lifetime.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

Gavlor wrote: »
    I really think you should all reconsider this approach. Fear of failure is a huge part of the motivation required to run a marathon. I'd go as far as saying the more people that know the more focused you will be.

I have told SOME people - a very small/select few. My wife, a couple of sisters and a mate that I'm trying to rope into doing it with me. So I'm not staying completely quite about it. But I haven't and won't braodcast it widely. I'm that way with most things anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,176 ✭✭✭Gavlor

I have told SOME people - a very small/select few. My wife, a couple of sisters and a mate that I'm trying to rope into doing it with me. So I'm not staying completely quite about it. But I haven't and won't braodcast it widely. I'm that way with most things anyway!

You'll be wearing it on a t-shirt come mid September!! Best of luck with the training, this thread will be a huge help

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭shortstuff!

I've told a couple of people that I was kinda thinking about maybe doing it but between us I'm definitely doing it, once I can stay injury free that is!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Darren 83

After I did my first half people said I should do the full marathon I knew that I wouldn't be able so I said I would do DCM 2013 so all family friends know I'm going to do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭RedRunner

The two marathons I've done I've raised money for charity so that always brings added pressure(and motivation) plus everyone knows you are doing a marathon because you've been hassling them for money:D

I don't think there's a right answer to the question of telling people,it's a personal thing a lot of the time but I agree with Gavlor, if training goes well and you are injury free come September you'll be boring people to death talking about it:)

• Registered Users Posts: 26 cluainbolg

Great to see thread going again I'm hoping to get under 4 hrs this year best of luck to everyone and 1 thing about this thread is that following it will definitely keep you focused

• Registered Users Posts: 3,079 ✭✭✭ooter

I'm quietly contemplating doing the DCM this year,only back running since December but I'm really enjoying it and have remained pain/injury free.
    I've taken part in 3 bhaa races so far and am really looking forward to the road races starting next week,could I do this programme and continue to run the bhaa races?
    Furthest I've run since December is 8 k but I have run 10 K's in the past,my pb for 8 k is 32:07.I ran the 5k in the Phoenix park on NYD in 20:40.
    did the ray for 5 k race last Friday but didn't bother timing myself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭RunningKing

ooter wrote: »
    I'm quietly contemplating doing the DCM this year,only back running since December but I'm really enjoying it and have remained pain/injury free.
    I've taken part in 3 bhaa races so far and am really looking forward to the road races starting next week,could I do this programme and continue to run the bhaa races?
    Furthest I've run since December is 8 k but I have run 10 K's in the past,my pb for 8 k is 32:07.I ran the 5k in the Phoenix park on NYD in 20:40.
    did the ray for 5 k race last Friday but didn't bother timing myself.

Your PB's indicate a very strong pedigree!! Dont underestimate your abilities to do DCM!
    You can definitely do the BHAA races and do the DCM training plan - dont be a total slave to the plan, for the most part, training plans are very flexible to bend around. You can replace a speed session or a tempo run for a race very easy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,079 ✭✭✭ooter

Your PB's indicate a very strong pedigree!! Dont underestimate your abilities to do DCM!
    You can definitely do the BHAA races and do the DCM training plan - dont be a total slave to the plan, for the most part, training plans are very flexible to bend around. You can replace a speed session or a tempo run for a race very easy.

To be honest,all I've ever been interested in running is 10 k Max and my sole aim has always been to run a sub 40 min 10 k but I've never been able to achieve that.I'm 40 in may and would love to do it before reaching that milestone.
    The thoughts of running for hours on end has always filled me with dread but It's only recently since I've started incorporating slow runs in to my training that I've realised how enjoyable that has been and it has got me thinking about running longer distances.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Darren 83

I'm planing to start two weeks ahead of the training plan just in case I get injured or sick, say if none of these happen and finish the plan early what weeks should I repeat or should I start to taper?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 788 ✭✭✭rasher_m

Darren 83 wrote: »
    I'm planing to start two weeks ahead of the training plan just in case I get injured or sick, say if none of these happen and finish the plan early what weeks should I repeat or should I start to taper?

I did some extra 20 milers towards the end, you cannot do enough of them in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭martyboy48

rasher_m wrote: »
    I did some extra 20 milers towards the end, you cannot do enough of them in my opinion.

Unless you do 7 of them the week before the marathon :pac::pac::D

In light of the previous comments.....here's a question.

HHN1 (or whatever plan we will follow) doesn't start until June 24th

What if I started it next Monday, 11 weeks early, and use the extra weeks to have repeat weeks on the plan if health or life gets in the way - or even save them all up until I get to the pinnacle week, week 15, and just repeat that week for 11 weeks....or dare I say it, even go a bit further than the plan and build up to 22 or 23 mile LSRs during that period.

I feel like I should be following some sort of a plan right now and I don't wanna wait 11 weeks and I am more than well able for HHN1 week 1 right now. In fact, I'd be well able to jump straight into week 5 right now...which suggests maybe I should be looking at one of Hals other plans?? Because come June 24th, I'll probably already (touch wood) be up to about week 10 (at least) of the plan in terms of weekly mileage - even if I'm not consciously following the plan - I certainly don't intend to slow myself down waiting for June 24th to come along.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

Follow a plan that you feel suits you best, i followed HH Intermediate 2 last year for DCM but still was a novice marathoner. Had a decent base built up and felt HH Novices 1 wasn't best suited to me. Keep building on what your doing and pick a plan to start on the 28th that suits you best.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭statss

Why don't you jump into a half marathon plan now and target a race? There's Achil HM on 6th July or Clontarf HM 13rd July to aim for. Get through that and you'll be flying for the full training.

tang1 wrote: »
    Follow a plan that you feel suits you best, i followed HH Intermediate 2 last year for DCM but still was a novice marathoner. Had a decent base built up and felt HH Novices 1 wasn't best suited to me. Keep building on what your doing and pick a plan to start on the 28th that suits you best.

May I ask.....what was your time in DCM last year?

statss wrote: »
    Why don't you jump into a half marathon plan now and target a race? There's Achil HM on 6th July or Clontarf HM 13rd July to aim for. Get through that and you'll be flying for the full training.

I was planning on doing a half marathon every month from June (or even May) to September - but contributers to my own training log have caused me to question my sanity :D

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭shortstuff!

In light of the previous comments.....here's a question.

HHN1 (or whatever plan we will follow) doesn't start until June 24th

What if I started it next Monday, 11 weeks early, and use the extra weeks to have repeat weeks on the plan if health or life gets in the way - or even save them all up until I get to the pinnacle week, week 15, and just repeat that week for 11 weeks....or dare I say it, even go a bit further than the plan and build up to 22 or 23 mile LSRs during that period.

I feel like I should be following some sort of a plan right now and I don't wanna wait 11 weeks and I am more than well able for HHN1 week 1 right now. In fact, I'd be well able to jump straight into week 5 right now...which suggests maybe I should be looking at one of Hals other plans?? Because come June 24th, I'll probably already (touch wood) be up to about week 10 (at least) of the plan in terms of weekly mileage - even if I'm not consciously following the plan - I certainly don't intend to slow myself down waiting for June 24th to come along.

I was wondering the same thing myself. I ran the bohermeen half in March roughly basing my training on the 1st 8weeks of HHN1 (except all my midweek runs were 5km) and didnt find it too taxing.

I was thinking of starting the 1st 8weeks of HHN1 or maybe HHN2 and do a half or a 10km the end of June and decide after that what program to follow or where to jump in. Most plans for halfs Ive looked at either are lower milage than these or have pace/tempo runs which scare me, maybe cause Im slow!

Also like the idea of building in a bit of a buffer and allowing for a 2nd 20miler! God I sound very eager

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭wowzer

Plenty of eager beavers in here.

I was the same last year and ended up getting injured and missed out on the marathon as a result.

My advice is simple, marathon plans( HHNI, HHN2, P&D) are the specified length for a reason. Stick with the plan and you will reap the benefits.

Between now and then just get out and get plenty of easy miles in the legs and enjoy your running with no plan as a time will come where you hate the plan and would love to just get out and run with no specific goal..

wowzer wrote: »
    Plenty of eager beavers in here.

I was the same last year and ended up getting injured and missed out on the marathon as a result.

My advice is simple, marathon plans( HHNI, HHN2, P&D) are the specified length for a reason. Stick with the plan and you will reap the benefits.

Between now and then just get out and get plenty of easy miles in the legs and enjoy your running with no plan as a time will come where you hate the plan and would love to just get out and run with no specific goal..

Even if what we're already doing is more than the plan?
    Or should we be looking at a higher grade plan if you will?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭statss

I was planning on doing a half marathon every month from June (or even May) to September - but contributers to my own training log have caused me to question my sanity :D

If it were me I would target just 1 in June/July to keep me ticking until then. I need a target to keep me motivated, others may differ. I wasted 3 months last year drifting along doing very little as I had "nothing" to aim for. Perhaps the experienced folk can weigh in, don't be taking my advice!

P.S Count me in for the thread. Can't wait to get stuck into the training for Dublin myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭davemcmahon

In my opinion I would spend the time between now and the start of the plan to get some consistent miles into your legs. What kind of mileage are you currently doing? building your base now will definitely pay off at the end of the training. When its time to start the plan see whats available and pick the option that suits your level at that time.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

May I ask.....what was your time in DCM last year?

I didnt make it to the start line unfortunately, dose of plantar faciitis seen to that

Advertisement