Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCM 2013: Mentored Novices Thread......Take 2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,176 ✭✭✭Gavlor

Laois_Man wrote: »

Plus.....I'm a modern man! :D

Keep it down, Mrs Gavlor is in cooking the dinner & washing the dishes

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

Gavlor wrote: »
    Have a look at our PB's and decide who is correct ;)

Pride comes before a fall... ;)

Dilbert75 wrote: »
    Pride comes before a fall... ;)

Haha, I'm always building myself up for a fall..... BUT......

"Believe it can be done. When you believe something can be done, really believe, your mind will find ways to do it. Believing paves the way to solution"

David F. Shwartz: Magic of thinking big

• Registered Users Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

Gavlor wrote: »
    Haha, I'm always building myself up for a fall..... BUT......

"Believe it can be done. When you believe something can be done, really believe, your mind will find ways to do it. Believing paves the way to solution"

David F. Shwartz: Magic of thinking big

I'm setting a new World Record at this years DCM then! :D

I'm setting a new World Record at this years DCM then! :D

Forgot to add this

*follow any advice given by gavlor corp at your own risk

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭Kurt Godel

Dublin Marathon is measured by 26 mile markers, and also every 5km. Whatever unit of measurement you prefer to use in training, km or miles, is a personal preference, either will be an arbitrary measurement guide for your pace; one is no better than the other.

However, if you are running by pace, its better to run off the 5km splits in the marathon, they'll be a more useful gauge of how you are controlling your pace. Learning what your steady 5km split pace is in training, will be more useful on the day, than your mile pace. Reason for this is that the distance markers (miles or 5km) are fixed to lampposts, and so will err +/- wherever the lampposts are, and there's a greater variation in the mile markers. Therefore if you are making the choice now between miles or kms, everything else being equal, go with the more accurate km.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

Kurt Godel wrote: »
    Dublin Marathon is measured by 26 mile markers, and also every 5km. Whatever unit of measurement you prefer to use in training, km or miles, is a personal preference, either will be an arbitrary measurement guide for your pace; one is no better than the other.

However, if you are running by pace, its better to run off the 5km splits in the marathon, they'll be a more useful gauge of how you are controlling your pace. Learning what your steady 5km split pace is in training, will be more useful on the day, than your mile pace. Reason for this is that the distance markers (miles or 5km) are fixed to lampposts, and so will err +/- wherever the lampposts are, and there's a greater variation in the mile markers. Therefore if you are making the choice now between miles or kms, everything else being equal, go with the more accurate km.

Jeez, you've spent too much time on the tri forum! :) As Lydiard said, miles make champions! (Seriously it's a personal thing and Kurt's point is valid, unless you're too old school like me!)

pconn062 wrote: »
    Jeez, you've spent too much time on the tri forum! :) As Lydiard said, miles make champions! (Seriously it's a personal thing and Kurt's point is valid, unless you're too old school like me!)

Haha, I'm of a similar vintage school to yourself pconn! I've been trying to wean myself onto km's for a couple of years now. Yesterday on a run I noticed my garmin average was showing 4:15/km pace and my automatic thought was "Yes! That's 6:50/mile pace" Old habits... :)

It's all arbitrary if you're just running off whatever time/distance (and for the most part a race pace should be dictated by those around you that you are racing, rather than by your watch). But anyone choosing km's or miles starting off, go with km's. It'll make 10k's, 5k's, easier to pace, as well as Dublin marathon (reasons above).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭RunningKing

tried and failed to change to KM's - always trying to do the conversion.

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭shortstuff!

I was measuring in km when I started running, training for 5 & 10km races but have been switching to miles since I started training for 1/2 & beyond... If the race/training program measures in miles so do I!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭martyboy48

Is this any good to you?

The one is was thinking of had both miles and kms pace for various distances and various times. But the one you linked will still be handy thank you :)
    No! If you want to run in km's then do - there are a handful of fossils (like Gavlor) from last year's novices who can't accept that we went fully metric nearly 10 years ago. Km also gives you better control / quicker feedback on your pace.

Ah I see, So you're not frowned upon if mentioning your pace in kms/min :D:D To be honest, what I really want is a good idea of both units. I suppose just using both will give me a better idea in comparison terms.
    Kurt Godel wrote: »
    Haha, I'm of a similar vintage school to yourself pconn! I've been trying to wean myself onto km's for a couple of years now. Yesterday on a run I noticed my garmin average was showing 4:15/km pace and my automatic thought was "Yes! That's 6:50/mile pace" Old habits... :)

It's all arbitrary if you're just running off whatever time/distance (and for the most part a race pace should be dictated by those around you that you are racing, rather than by your watch). But anyone choosing km's or miles starting off, go with km's. It'll make 10k's, 5k's, easier to pace, as well as Dublin marathon (reasons above).

An interesting point... My thoughts would be (for a novice marathoner) to have a target time based on a recent HM, and pace yourself to this initially, then towards end of race try to reel in a few people and push on if you have anything left in you?? If I was to have a race pace based on those around me, I'm sure i'd get carried away with myself and burn out after 10km??

Oh and how you compared both kms/min and miles/min on your run as it happened is what I want. I suppose best to just learn of a few key ones it would give me a fair idea of the rest...

martyboy48 wrote: »

An interesting point... My thoughts would be (for a novice marathoner) to have a target time based on a recent HM, and pace yourself to this initially, then towards end of race try to reel in a few people and push on if you have anything left in you?? If I was to have a race pace based on those around me, I'm sure i'd get carried away with myself and burn out after 10km??

I had 5km and 10k in mind here, but yeah, good call, a novice isn't going to be racing peers. Your way above (run by pace for most of the race and then push on the end) is the way to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,565 ✭✭✭ahnowbrowncow

I did a 9k run this morning, I got quite frustrated running into the 40km/h winds.

The Irish weather needs to get it's act together, coldest march on record and a very windy April just isn't acceptable imo.

And of course it's now a lovely evening. Thanks for that.

Cold is the best weather to run in! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭rob w

Hi everyone,

Rob W reporting for duty! :D

Having spent the last 90 mins or so reading this thread (and take 1) from start to finish I decided it was time to post. I have come across some of you guys in these forums last year while training for the Dublin Half, lurked a lot in this thread last year and always found great advice and support here. So have decided to enter the DCM 2013 this year as my first marathon and looking forward to it ans the progression of this thread already!

Started running last year and ran the Dublin Half 2012 quite comfortably and loved it, since then have tipped away over the winter not following any particular plan, but just keeping fitness up. Am quite busy with college work at the moment, but that's all done in May (thank god :rolleyes:) and ill be getting back on track fully then. Will try and get a parkrun in over the next few weeks to get a 5k race time, (but currently doing 5k in training in 25:00)

*I have taken a shine to Hal Higdons Marathon 3 Plan, slightly adjusted to suit my schedule, (see link https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/47146575/Robs%20Training%20Log.pdf) and would appreciate feedback on suitability for a first marathon!*

So now down to the nitty gritty!

Have you raced before? If so what are your PBs? (Date and distance please!)

Just the one race last year! Did it quite comfortably, for fear of going out to fast!

Dublin HM 2012 1.53

Do you still need to take walk breaks in your training?

Nope, but havent done more than 10k in the last few months, but don't generally take them anyway!

How much training do you currently do? Distances, how many days a week, cross training - whatever you think is relevant

Lately have been busy with the final year of college, so rarely spend time outside of the library :(. I try to nip down to the gym during breaks and get a couple of miles in up to three times a week, about 3 - 5 miles each time. Just want to keep some sort of fitness there until I start training properly. Kind of been doing that all through the winter, but was running a bit more frequently before xmas than I am now.

I also cycle, around 100km a week, using commuting time to get a bit of a workout when I can!

What do you want to achieve? Dream finishing time and realistic finishing time?

Would be absolutely chuffed with a sub 4 marathon, but being my first I just want to get over that line in October!

How many days a week can you train?

Should be free to train up to 5 times a week, once I finish college in May will have much more free time on my hands!

I am looking for a plan that can combine running with cycling as my crosstraining, the Hal Higdon Marathon 3 looks promising, I have adjusted it around slightly to meet race dates I plan on entering, see the link to my plan at the start of this post. I would like some advice on whether you guys think this may be a suitable plan for me to follow, (Hal Higdon says it fits in between his novice and intermediate plans), I am interested in it because it allows me to get some cycling in too and I am confident I could handle it, but am open to suggestions if you guys think the running is more important.......whatever it takes to get me over the finish line

Why are you running this marathon?

Its something I have wanted to do for a long time, but other commitments last year saw me not enter the DCM after contemplating about doing it once I finished the Dublin HM. I had a strange sense of longing or something the weekend of the marathon when I knew I should have been out there doing it, so there is no stopping me this year :cool:. Also using the opportunity to raise some funds for a charity I am currently volunteering for.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

rob w wrote: »
    I have taken a shine to Hal Higdons Marathon 3 Plan, slightly adjusted to suit my schedule, (see link https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/47146575/Robs%20Training%20Log.pdf) and would appreciate feedback on suitability for a first marathon!*

Pretty intense-looking plan at first glance but on closer inspection there's a decent amount of rest and cross-training. Looks good - good luck with it.

*I have taken a shine to Hal Higdons Marathon 3 Plan, slightly adjusted to suit my schedule, (see link https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/47146575/Robs%20Training%20Log.pdf) and would appreciate feedback on suitability for a first .

Welcome aboard Rob! I'm a novice to so take this with a pinch of salt, the experts will be around shortly... you have pace/tempo runs scheduled the day after your Duathalon races, assuming your going to be racing these I would imagine a recovery run the day after would be a better option?

Seems to be a lot of fast novices around here, 25min 5km in training:eek:

Pretty intense-looking plan at first glance but on closer inspection there's a decent amount of rest and cross-training. Looks good - good luck with it.

Yeah there's quite a bit of rest, and I'll take it easy on the cross training I think. I suppose I can stick with it and see how I'm doing by the time whatever plan gets going in here in june!

Welcome aboard Rob! I'm a novice to so take this with a pinch of salt, the experts will be around shortly... you have pace/tempo runs scheduled the day after your Duathalon races, assuming your going to be racing these I would imagine a recovery run the day after would be a better option?

Seems to be a lot of fast novices around here, 25min 5km in training:eek:

Oh yeah, never copped that when I entered those duathlons, will need to rearrange som rest days I think, thanks!

And the 5k in 25min is me racing myself if you know what I mean, not really indicative of my training pace, usually training runs are a bit slower than that!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Darren 83

I'm with my local running club we train on Tuesday and Thursday looking at the novice plan 1 on these days it never goes over 5 miles. What would be the best way to incorporate the extra miles, or just have two club sessions and two easy runs?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭career_move

*I have taken a shine to Hal Higdons Marathon 3 Plan, slightly adjusted to suit my schedule, (see link https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/47146575/Robs%20Training%20Log.pdf) and would appreciate feedback on suitability for a first marathon!*
    Hi Rob welcome to the thread :D
    Your plan looks tough. Sept looks very intense with 3 x 20m and a HM. All I can say is see how its going and be careful of your pace cause I could see you easily getting injured if you go too fast with that work load. Best of luck with it :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭career_move

Darren 83 wrote: »
    I'm with my local running club we train on Tuesday and Thursday looking at the novice plan 1 on these days it never goes over 5 miles. What would be the best way to incorporate the extra miles, or just have two club sessions and two easy runs?
    I'd be inclined to only do one club session and three easy runs and not worry about the extra mileage :D

5km run & a 40km cycle done this morning, what a gorgeous day! Now for some foam rolling!!

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭runwithme

5km run & a 40km cycle done this morning, what a gorgeous day! Now for some foam rolling!!

Got out myself on the bike this morning. Great day for it 30k done and I should get a run in after work this evening....Great weather guys.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,565 ✭✭✭ahnowbrowncow

It's race day today, doing the Patsy Kelly 5k in Dundalk.

The goal is to run under 20 min but I'm not too sure where I'm at fitness wise so I'm thinking of starting off fast and just trying to hold on. Could be a recipe for disaster but no matter what I'll be getting a PB seeing as it's my first 5k :) Unless of course it goes so wrong that I don't finish it :o

It's looking a bit windy out there but I got my haircut so I should be fine on the aerodynamic side of things.

It's race day today, doing the Patsy Kelly 5k in Dundalk.

The goal is to run under 20 min but I'm not too sure where I'm at fitness wise so I'm thinking of starting off fast and just trying to hold on. Could be a recipe for disaster but no matter what I'll be getting a PB seeing as it's my first 5k :) Unless of course it goes so wrong that I don't finish it :o

It's looking a bit windy out there but I got my haircut so I should be fine on the aerodynamic side of things.

How did your race go???

• Registered Users Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Darren 83

Finding the club sessions hard but hopefully pays off for my next race, any one doing the boyne 10k?

Short update from me. Things not going well with the injury. After completely resting it as much as I could for a whole week, I went on a very short 2.5K run/walk (mostly walk) and I'm as bad as ever again. Even at this early stage, can't see how I'm gonna be able to get thru marathon training whatsoever. I'm really really gutted.

Gonna have to get on the blower to the physio on Monday morning and see if he can salvage my chances!

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭dechol

Short update from me. Things not going well with the injury. After completely resting it as much as I could for a whole week, I went on a very short 2.5K run/walk (mostly walk) and I'm as bad as ever again. Even at this early stage, can't see how I'm gonna be able to get thru marathon training whatsoever. I'm really really gutted.

Gonna have to get on the blower to the physio on Monday morning and see if he can salvage my chances!

Whatever plan you follow for the marathon you have lots of time to get the injury sorted hopefully. Listen to the physio and if u need to rest...REST. don't push it to get back running before you are ready. You have lots of time to get it sorted before the marathon.

• Advertisement

dechol wrote: »
    Whatever plan you follow for the marathon you have lots of time to get the injury sorted hopefully. Listen to the physio and if u need to rest...REST. don't push it to get back running before you are ready. You have lots of time to get it sorted before the marathon.

I know I sound unjustifyably pessimistic - but I know my body and after a year of these issues, I know my back responds badly to the increases of the LSR unless those increases are very very slow and gradual - and I know I have to stay well ahead of even the HHN1 plan because of it.

Advertisement