Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCM 2013: Mentored Novices Thread......Take 2

Options
1119120121122123125»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,866 ✭✭✭drquirky

Geekington-

My marathon debut a couple years ago I ran almost the exact same splits as you. I went through HM in 1:28 and closed in 3:16 :D:D:D:D Some "experience" lol- I can completely relate to a good bit of your race report. I took stock after and realised that although I was running 5k/ 10k in 17:20/17:30 and 37/38 mins or so I was nowhere near ready for the mara. I took some time, built the strength and had a much more positive 2nd marathon w/ a 2:50 on a 22 degree day a couple of weeks ago...

While it looks like a lot of your issues were stomach related- if I were you before your next marathon really put in loads of long/easy miles to build the endurance as w/ your speed you'll see big benefits. Congrats on joining the big blow up club - trust me the balls you needed to finish that sucker will stand to you in your next one!

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭geekington

Thanks Drquirky glad to join the club! You have pretty much nailed exactly what I want to do - I'm going to go back through your log now for inspiration! Apolioges in advance for any random questions on it :p:p:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭statss

geekington wrote: »
    Cheers Statts, thanks for the comments - definitely something I want to look at. Most concerning is that I have never experienced them before regardless of effort so something I do need to look at. Gonna pop down tonight so might catch up with you!

got college tonight but I'll be down definitely on Thursday, talk to you then

• Registered Users Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭Woden

Back in London now after the holiday. Added myself there. Still need to get my log and race report sorted and see you over on the new thread!

Username|Est. Time|Comments|Act. Time|Comment
    Geekington|03:14:59|First marathon, first goal is finish and enjoy and secondary goal is to do my best to finish below 3.15|
    wowzer|03:19:59|first marathon and just want to try and enjoy it as much as possible.|03:19:26|Race went to plan and I enjoyed every minute of it.|
    JoeyRamone|03:20:00|hoping for 3.20 ish! Thanks and goodluck to all|3:39:05|Enjoyed the first 18, ran well, 3:24 was on the cards. 5th Gel made me throw up at 19... went rapidly down hill thereafter, last 5 horrendous! Shattered crossing the line. Looking back overall brill day tho.
    skeleton_boy |03:29:59| To get home in one piece is the main thing. Time would be an added bonus.|3.28.02|Couldn't have gone better. Mental ding dong but beat my target while finishing very strong. Where too next?|
    Bulmers74|03.29:59| First marathon - can't wait for the wave of emotion & buzz on crossing the finish line. Can analyse time & mistakes much, much later.|3:28:57| The day was a physical & emotional roller coaster. Pacers got me through the final 4 miles
    Carlow2011|03.29:59|first marathon, nervous as hell but haven't been as excited in such a long time. Bring it on!!|03:40:55| Bloody Blister, have unfinished business. Great experience.
    ooter|03:30:00|first marathon so just want to enjoy it,slow and steady. :-)|03:25:55|20 miles onwards was TOUGH!|
    barryoneill50|03:39:59|First marathon, training went well|3:43:35|Had a ball the whole way round. Took good advice and soaked up the atmosphere. Probably wasted ten minutes high fiving kids and generally acting the clown with the crowd who were amazing, I'm hooked!!
    imknackered|03:40:00|Second marathon for me, 4:14 first time around, went out too quickly and had to walk/run the last 6-7 miles. Im going for 3:40 this time around after much better training and preparation.|3:44| Happy with the time considering i was suffering with hamstring issues from mile 8
    galwayspur|03:40:00|Second running of DCM, 3:44 in 2010. Feeling good this time, not convinced I'll go sub 3:40 but will cling to the pacers for as long as I can.|
    Martypk|03:40:00|I`m the eternal optimist|5:00:02|Wonderful day, even though my knee let me down. At one time I ran alongside Dracula..very surreal. I`m back next year for sure
    Woden|03:44:59|First marathon. Primary goal to finish. Under 4 hours would be good. Target 3:45 based on recent half would be great!|3:42:51|Went out slow with 3:50 and then picked up the pace. Very happy with the result. Didn't have much to push on with in the last 10k but did a negative split.
    lmguillou|03:45:00|3h45 would make me very happy, this is my second marathon did 3h58 in 2009.|3:54:40|Was on track up to 30km then slowly lost the pace and the last 10k were like hell while in 2009 I had a smile on my face all way long.I think I paid for a week of stress before the race, too scared to get sick like last year,as a result couldn't eat as much carb as I wanted as I didn't have appetite! ANyway,one thing and I will always remember is the crowds,they really carried me to the finish line and thanks to those amazing people I still got a PB Just thought to myself, If I don't run it in 2014 I will for sure be on the side of the road!
    BarneyJ|03:45:00|One previous marathon in 2001 with a time of 4h 5 mins. Sub 3h45 would be nice!|03:41:11|Absolutely delighted with this time and with the race in general. Was the most enjoyable race I have ever run!|
    Pointer28|03:49:59|First marathon - originally training for 3:30 but the wheels fell off that wagon quite spectacularly in the last fortnight.
    Donnacha|03:49:59|1st Marathon - Finish is the real goal after missing 4 wks training, I had dreamt of a sub 03:50 time prior to my knee issues - gonna still give the dream finish a lash|03:59:09|Broke the cardinal rule of taking a drink I hadn't trained with|
    Sammo13|03:50:00|First marathon, really looking forward to getting this run done|
    Martyboy48|03:49:59|run strong comfortable marathon is the plan, see the sights smile.png, probably end up in a heap biggrin.png|03:51:42|The physicality? of the race got me, feet very sore towards the end and a touch of cramping. No worries though, just eased back a tad to get me home in reasonable condition.
    MiketheMechanic|03:49:59|Second marathon - hopefully I can stick to the plan and stay with the 3.50 pacers all the way round|03:48:52| Mission accomplished. Stayed with the 3.50 pacers until mile 24,then pushed on a little. Delighted and a new PB!
    gibberish37|03:54:54|(First Marathon.. Goal is to soak it all up, enjoy every second of it and aim for that sub 4 hours and will not be dissappointed if I miss it.. |03:56:31|Unbelievably difficult last 2 miles for me but overall it was nearly a life changing experience|
    086Jazzy|03:55:00|First time marathoner. Hoping for 3hr 55m. Plan to start with 4hr pacers and take it from there. Either way plan is to finish and not blow up half way round.|03:53:41|Really found last 6 miles tough. Happy to have achieved target time.
    npresto|03:59:59|Second Marathon. Unfinished business. Followed this thread last year. Missed out on sub 4hrs by 14 secs. Plan to stick with 4hr pacers and if feeling up to it I'll try to push on at 20 miles.|03:56:51|Stayed with 4hr pacers and then pushed on from half way. Delighted with my time. Improvement on last years time but bigger improvement in my physical state from last year. No collapse at the line, no wheelchair, no medical tent! Instead some nice pints in Kehoes! Roll on 2014!
    observer2u|03:59:00|First marathon - could be pushed to make it or the competitiveness might push me on!|03:43:03|Went really well for me. still hurting but left nothing on the course so thats my biggest achievement! a unforgettable experience!|
    Niamhpamela|03:59:59|Would settle for crossing the finish line with my sister under 4:30|04:02:56|Absolutely delighted with myself. Support was amazing. Loved & hated it at the same time.|
    JMCC99_98|03:59:59|First Marathon - Hope to get under 4hr but happy with sub 4:20|04:04:25|on target for sub 4 until mile 23 had to drag myself from there. Delighted anyway
    scheister|03:59:59|First marathon, would love to get under the 4 hour mark but will be thrilled to cross the line whatever happens| 04:30:02| bad day at the office but still found the finishline so im happy |
    Ger34|03:59:59|Will be a miracle(are you listening God)03:56:xx in Kildare 2011 but I am 2 years older now(excuse prepared)|04:11:17|With the way my achilles is swollen and creaking at the moment that time was my miracle
    cluainbolg|03:59:59|Second marathon first done in 4 12 ill be smiling from ear to ear if I get in under 4hrs this time|
    Ssshhh123|03:59:59|First time marathon as everyone above goal 1 is to finish goal 2 is under 3hr59min59secs. Main thing is enjoy it finish it.|
    rob w|03:59:59|First marathon too, so 4 hours would be amazing, but whether its 4 or 40 it'll be a PB...Win/Win! wink.png|3:57:25|Felt I paced it well, held back until 20m and pushed on from there, v.happy with result!|
    quinlivan|03:59:59|3:45 is my super-amazing-goal time, sub 4:00 ideally but overall, as long as I cross the finish line I'll have a big happy head on me|3:52:29|Delighted! Wouldnt change nothing about the day. First marathon so soaked up the energy, crowd and the run itself. Finished tired & sore but so pleased. Looking forward to Marathon #2 already!
    fraggle00|04:00:00| I was on track until damaging my knee but I hope to have recovered in time|
    Skidrow|04:09:59|Not my first but hoping it will be my bestsmile.png|
    SamForMayo |04:10:00| Im hoping to finishing in one piece and enjoy it!|03:58:23|No major pains, delighted with time.|
    Ososlo|04:10:00|Can't wait! BRING IT ON!|
    Rainrunner|04:10:00|I'd love to beat 4:10 but happy to finish.|04:25| I went out to fast. Felt great up to 18 mile running at 9:05: started to slow down to a walk/run by mile 22.. Lesson learned the hard way.
    Zaram|04:10:00|never thought I would do one so hope to enjoy it|04:01| thrilled. Absolutely loved every step. Started with 4.10 pacers and finished just behind 4hr pacers. Felt strong throughout, spent the 2nd half picking targets & passing them out. Can't wait for the next one!
    Colostomy Bag|04:18:00|2nd DCM, achieved 4h28m last year.|04:19:03|
    overthebridge|04:20:00|1st marathon. Aim is to finish but I'd be happy to get under 4.20|4:23:19|Harder than I thought. But hungry to do it again.
    Izoard|04:20:00|Pacer! Hope everyone hits their goals - gonna be great!
    dcorcaigh|04:20:00|It will be my first marathon so i want to enjoy it and also be in a fit state to enjoy the pints afterwards|04:18:53|very happy with that time for first marathon, just a slight pity my ITB flared up again at mile 22. Drinks afterwards tasted great!
    fruit pastille|04:20:00|run, enjoy, don't fall over and look back with pride.|04:22:10| enjoyed every bit of it and can't wait to do it all again!
    Vico1612|04:26:03|First timer who wants to beat his wife's DCM2012 time by 1 second :-)|04:09:46|Proud finisher ! Already looking at spring races :-)
    SnailsPace|04:29:58|2nd Marathon. Target for first one was 4:30 . Did it in 4:30:02, FFS 2 seconds !! Unfinished business with DCM.|
    Shortstuff!|04:29:59|Finish in one piece 1st & foremost with a smile on my face hopefullysmile.png more likely to be a blubbering/hyperventilating mess though!|04:59:41|Foot pain & muscle cramp meant my pace slowed right down from early on. Finished with a smilesmile.png I'll be back for 4:30
    Futureguy|04:29:59|My goal is to finish. Would be a dream to get under 4:29:59.|
    pansophelia|04:29:59|starting with the 4.30 pacers and I'll see how it goes after that - will probably get a few funny looks asking people 'are you a boardsie?|04:27:12| Was hard hard work, but delighted at the end!
    RoddyLarge|04:30:00|Just to finish, 20 miles nearly killed me but I am determined, and stubborn :-)|04:47:23| was on target until 20miles then my legs just give up on me|
    Shay95480|04:30:00|firstimer so just hopin to finish in one piece.|
    PauloMN|04:30:00|but happy just to finish in one piece. I'm the one swearing every step from mile 20 onwards.|04:47:23|Absolutely delighted to finish, but shame about the time, defo thought I had 04:30 in me. Struggled after 20 miles. Will be back for 2014. Crossed finish line with my son which was very special.
    AlsoRan|04:30:00|But anything under 4h 45 would be fine, I want to finish hopefully smiling!|
    shayno90|04:30:00|Ideally to finish at this time but completing the marathon is the most important thing|04:35:59|Was on course to finish at 10 mins a mile until Roebuck hill and the quads decided to start seizing up! Glad the training was worth it plus the crowd helped me cross the line.
    buggawugga|04:30:00|When I started out on DCM plan I had hoped for sub 4 hr but with missed training and couple of niggles I'll just be happy to finish.|
    Jasonbourne.cs|04:30:00|First Marathon aiming to finish in one piece and i'd be happy|
    Dow99|04:39:59|"HOLY Sh*T, I'M RUNNING A MARATHON IN 5 DAYS TIME!!|
    slowandsteady|04:45:00|First timer, longest run 18.5 Miles, hoping for 4:45 finish but will just be happy to finish.|04:58:54|Satisfied with that, just glad to finish given longest training run was 18.5 miles. Will improve it next time.|
    roseypo|04:50:00|Trying madly not to focus on a time and just try to enjoy the experience..
    PatsyPantaloni|04:59:59|First marathon, would love to get under the five hour mark but will be thrilled to cross the line whatever happens|

• Registered Users Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭Woden

Copy paste here from the log then. Work not very productive this morning..

Mon 28th Oct Dublin City Marathon 2013
    42.2k - 3:42:51 - 5:17/k

Well race report time. Pre warning. May be long.. May have terrible English…

Pre Race
    Training had gone well from my perspective. I was working off the boards plan and had gotten in all mid week sessions and the LSR’s up until the taper. I was doing some work on the bike which I dropped and did not often do the Sunday recovery runs as I was trying to balance with my usual niggles in the left knee and ankle.

Came down with something during the taper so missed a few runs. Wasn’t worried about this. Just wanted it cleared up by race day. It wasn’t fully gone but don’t think it made much difference. Took a 3 day course of antibiotics on the Thurs – Sat before the race.
    Generally though I was looking forward to the race. Had arranged the week off after the race to do some travel around Ireland and enjoy some well earned time off with the girlfriend!

I had focused during the week on drinking water as much as I could remember and I started eating quite heavily then from Friday night.
    We left on Sat morning then after the usual pre holiday week of trying to clear up everything in work. A lunch with the family and then it was off to the expo to pick up the number and buy some bodyglide followed by dinner with friends. Tasty Pizza in Paulie’s!
    Sunday was a quick trip to Heatons to pick up a throwaway top for the morning and meet up with my friend who had travelled from Chicago to run it also for the first time. Sunday evening was a family dinner then and off to my friends house who had kindly let us stay there and borrow his car with him being away himself. Think I was asleep by about 12 and slept reasonably ok considering.

Race Morning
    Up at 6 then for the weetabix and lemsip (just like the half back in April!). Was very happy to get solid toilet workings out of the way before leaving the house! Had arranged to meet my friend at Pearse Street Station at 7.50 and was dropped into town leaving the girlfriend who doesn’t know Dublin to make my way back to the family home and be entertained by the folks. With clear instructions such as ‘turn right over the new bridge what could possibly go wrong…
    Had a slight panic when organising my stuff and managed to split the plastic bag which was carrying my small back pack. My friend and I did the bag drop then and said our good byes as he was in the blue wave. I headed into the green area then queued for a final toilet usage before heading up close to the front looking for the 3:50 pacers

Race
    Lined up then pretty much on the line for wave 2 and having introduced myself to one of the 3:50 pacers (sorry didn’t catch the name!). Usual nervous energy and we were off!
    Kept saying to myself then to go out slow. Had pace bands on for 3:40 and 3:50 and pace seemed a little slow for 3:50 even at the start so I was a little ahead. Found them pretty unreadable tbh when running along! I knew I’d have most of family around 5k and just after the first water station managed to high five my dad at Prussia street before seeing the rest of the gang at the top of Oxmantown road.
    It was into the park then and I stopped for a quick toilet break behind a tree beside the zoo at the polo grounds. 3:50 guys had caught up with me then and I was just ahead of them until around the 10k mark which I believe was on the Furze road. I recall moving right before the water station on Chesterfield as I was still carrying water from the first stop to try and get out of peoples way. I was carrying some fluid bottle for most of the race actually. Often did this in training and doesn’t bother me. I was travelling light with just a arm pocket on with the gels in it. Which I was annoyed to find I had put on upside down when preparing but was actually easier to get at the gels I found.

I planned to take my gels at 5, 10, 15 and 20 mile marks. They were GU gels which are a bit thicker and generally I find myself eating them slowly over the course of a k or so.
    Went through 10k at 54:33
    I found the pace picking up slightly then as we headed out the back of the park into mostly unfamiliar territory for me. Great atmosphere in Chapelizard. Screw you whoever was cooking the fry. It smelt great. Also great chants of Ogi Ogi Ogi going under the bridge before the hill.

Replaced the water with lucozade at one point and next main recollection is being on the 2nd gel around Kilmainhaim. Was expecting the family again near Dolphin’s Barn or Walkinstown and I saw them at Dolphin’s barn and got to high five everyone going along. Was feeling good here and then it was up the Crumlin road. Saw Marty in the boards.ie top and tried to shout some encouragement when going by. Sorry seemed like the right thing to do at the time though in hindsight perhaps just annoying!
    Went through half way at 1:53:08 and recall high fiving some kids after Walkinstown round including a gentle one to a tiny baby! I think I must have picked up the pace here as was considering ok so half of it is done. Just do that again a bit faster and you’ll be grand. The gels were going down ok but not amazing. Some queasiness. Looks like I had my quickest section of the race from halfway to 20 miles. Elevation looks mostly downhill around Terenue. It was mentally getting tough around the 15 mile mark. Considering I had quite a bit to go and was not expecting any specific support until around 23.5 miles. Spoke and ran briefly with a randomer just before Clonskeagh who was on for 3:50.

I was expecting/dreading the Roebuck hill at this point as I was not sure exactly where it was on the course. Saw some signs then indicating it was coming up and saw the apartments from the streetview someone had kindly put that indicated the top. The hill was fine though Valerie was blaring out and I put the head down and up I went. Can’t recall if the 20 mile mark is before or after the hill. Went through in 2:50:00. Lots of mental calculation here that if I dropped to closer to 9:00/mile I would still scrap in the 3:45.
    Was willing myself on then. Held off for a bit on the last gel and took maybe only a little over half of it. Tried singing the usual training songs in my head to keep me going. Recall having a couple of slow kilometres around Merrion Road and the RDS and though the 3:45 was slipping away.

It was different to other races. Usually my chest feels at the limit or am I close to stitching. Here though my legs were tired. I couldn’t really feel I could go much faster. Could not wait to see my support at 23.5. My friend was there then on Shelbourne road. He thought I looked strong. I did not feel it!

I was not too happy with the bridge at Grand Canal and then it was into the last stretch. I did not see the 25 mile mark but think I heard an announcer call it out. Saw someone remark in another report it was like Alp D’Huez at this point and that seems fitting now. Was tight trying to work my way through. Random encounter with HR manager from my previous company on Pearse street and was mentally cursing the fact I had to run all the way around Trinity College. Onto Nassau street and an unexpected shout out from the family who were there at 26 miles. A quick wave and it was on to the finish. An early glance at the watch and a push to keep it under 3:43. Cross the line hands in the air. It was done!

Post Race
    My hamstring cramped just as I crossed the line and I stopped to do a couple of stretches then it was into the chute. It was a few tears as I walked down to pick up the medal. Got proudly changed into the top on Merrion square and picked up my bag and had some missed calls to meet up with the girlfriend and family. Joined them just near the Government buildings and there was a few more tears followed by chocolate, tea and photos. Then off to the pub! Great to meet Murph, Mike and Blockic and to see Krusty and Emer again. My friend joined briefly also who came in around 4:30 and was happy out also!

Garmin
    5k - 27:58
    10k – 27:00 (54:58)
    15k – 26:17 (1:21:15)
    20k – 26:18 (1:47:33)
    25k – 25:34 (2:13:09)
    30k – 25:26 (2:38:35)
    35k – 26:04 ( 3:04:39)
    40k – 26:53 (3:31:33)
    42.2k – 11:20 (3:42:53)

Official splits
    10k – 54:33
    HALF – 1:53:08
    20MILE – 2:50:00
    FINISH – 3:42:51

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭Sammo13

You can add my result to the list. Finished in 4hr 6m 6s. Goal was sub 4hr with hopeful 3.50.. Hit my splits, but from half way my quads were sore and I knew from way out I wouldn't reach my target time, suffered badly over last few miles.. hardest 45 mins of running in my life. Still enjoyed it and now can say Im a marathon runner... :)

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭patsypantaloni

I'm not sure how to update the table either so if somebody wouldn't mind obliging I'd be very grateful!

Finished in 5.15 after hoping for a 4.59 finish, found it very tough going at times but was thrilled to finish in one piece. After initially saying never again, i'm now thinking "maybe a spring marathon and i can see about that sub-5 finish":D

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,857 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

Added Sammo13 and PatsyPantaloni finish times & comments to the table.

Username|Est. Time|Comments|Act. Time|Comment
    Geekington|03:14:59|First marathon, first goal is finish and enjoy and secondary goal is to do my best to finish below 3.15|
    wowzer|03:19:59|first marathon and just want to try and enjoy it as much as possible.|03:19:26|Race went to plan and I enjoyed every minute of it.|
    JoeyRamone|03:20:00|hoping for 3.20 ish! Thanks and goodluck to all|3:39:05|Enjoyed the first 18, ran well, 3:24 was on the cards. 5th Gel made me throw up at 19... went rapidly down hill thereafter, last 5 horrendous! Shattered crossing the line. Looking back overall brill day tho.
    skeleton_boy |03:29:59| To get home in one piece is the main thing. Time would be an added bonus.|3.28.02|Couldn't have gone better. Mental ding dong but beat my target while finishing very strong. Where too next?|
    Bulmers74|03.29:59| First marathon - can't wait for the wave of emotion & buzz on crossing the finish line. Can analyse time & mistakes much, much later.|3:28:57| The day was a physical & emotional roller coaster. Pacers got me through the final 4 miles
    Carlow2011|03.29:59|first marathon, nervous as hell but haven't been as excited in such a long time. Bring it on!!|03:40:55| Bloody Blister, have unfinished business. Great experience.
    ooter|03:30:00|first marathon so just want to enjoy it,slow and steady. :-)|03:25:55|20 miles onwards was TOUGH!|
    barryoneill50|03:39:59|First marathon, training went well|3:43:35|Had a ball the whole way round. Took good advice and soaked up the atmosphere. Probably wasted ten minutes high fiving kids and generally acting the clown with the crowd who were amazing, I'm hooked!!
    imknackered|03:40:00|Second marathon for me, 4:14 first time around, went out too quickly and had to walk/run the last 6-7 miles. Im going for 3:40 this time around after much better training and preparation.|3:44| Happy with the time considering i was suffering with hamstring issues from mile 8
    galwayspur|03:40:00|Second running of DCM, 3:44 in 2010. Feeling good this time, not convinced I'll go sub 3:40 but will cling to the pacers for as long as I can.|
    Martypk|03:40:00|I`m the eternal optimist|5:00:02|Wonderful day, even though my knee let me down. At one time I ran alongside Dracula..very surreal. I`m back next year for sure
    Woden|03:44:59|First marathon. Primary goal to finish. Under 4 hours would be good. Target 3:45 based on recent half would be great!|3:42:51|Went out slow with 3:50 and then picked up the pace. Very happy with the result. Didn't have much to push on with in the last 10k but did a negative split.
    lmguillou|03:45:00|3h45 would make me very happy, this is my second marathon did 3h58 in 2009.|3:54:40|Was on track up to 30km then slowly lost the pace and the last 10k were like hell while in 2009 I had a smile on my face all way long.I think I paid for a week of stress before the race, too scared to get sick like last year,as a result couldn't eat as much carb as I wanted as I didn't have appetite! ANyway,one thing and I will always remember is the crowds,they really carried me to the finish line and thanks to those amazing people I still got a PB Just thought to myself, If I don't run it in 2014 I will for sure be on the side of the road!
    BarneyJ|03:45:00|One previous marathon in 2001 with a time of 4h 5 mins. Sub 3h45 would be nice!|03:41:11|Absolutely delighted with this time and with the race in general. Was the most enjoyable race I have ever run!|
    Pointer28|03:49:59|First marathon - originally training for 3:30 but the wheels fell off that wagon quite spectacularly in the last fortnight.
    Donnacha|03:49:59|1st Marathon - Finish is the real goal after missing 4 wks training, I had dreamt of a sub 03:50 time prior to my knee issues - gonna still give the dream finish a lash|03:59:09|Broke the cardinal rule of taking a drink I hadn't trained with|
    Sammo13|03:50:00|First marathon, really looking forward to getting this run done|04:06:06|Goal was sub 4hr with hopeful 3.50.. Hit my splits, but from half way my quads were sore and I knew from way out I wouldn't reach my target time, suffered badly over last few miles.. hardest 45 mins of running in my life. Still enjoyed it and now can say Im a marathon runner... |
    Martyboy48|03:49:59|run strong comfortable marathon is the plan, see the sights smile.png, probably end up in a heap biggrin.png|03:51:42|The physicality? of the race got me, feet very sore towards the end and a touch of cramping. No worries though, just eased back a tad to get me home in reasonable condition.
    MiketheMechanic|03:49:59|Second marathon - hopefully I can stick to the plan and stay with the 3.50 pacers all the way round|03:48:52| Mission accomplished. Stayed with the 3.50 pacers until mile 24,then pushed on a little. Delighted and a new PB!
    gibberish37|03:54:54|(First Marathon.. Goal is to soak it all up, enjoy every second of it and aim for that sub 4 hours and will not be dissappointed if I miss it.. |03:56:31|Unbelievably difficult last 2 miles for me but overall it was nearly a life changing experience|
    086Jazzy|03:55:00|First time marathoner. Hoping for 3hr 55m. Plan to start with 4hr pacers and take it from there. Either way plan is to finish and not blow up half way round.|03:53:41|Really found last 6 miles tough. Happy to have achieved target time.
    npresto|03:59:59|Second Marathon. Unfinished business. Followed this thread last year. Missed out on sub 4hrs by 14 secs. Plan to stick with 4hr pacers and if feeling up to it I'll try to push on at 20 miles.|03:56:51|Stayed with 4hr pacers and then pushed on from half way. Delighted with my time. Improvement on last years time but bigger improvement in my physical state from last year. No collapse at the line, no wheelchair, no medical tent! Instead some nice pints in Kehoes! Roll on 2014!
    observer2u|03:59:00|First marathon - could be pushed to make it or the competitiveness might push me on!|03:43:03|Went really well for me. still hurting but left nothing on the course so thats my biggest achievement! a unforgettable experience!|
    Niamhpamela|03:59:59|Would settle for crossing the finish line with my sister under 4:30|04:02:56|Absolutely delighted with myself. Support was amazing. Loved & hated it at the same time.|
    JMCC99_98|03:59:59|First Marathon - Hope to get under 4hr but happy with sub 4:20|04:04:25|on target for sub 4 until mile 23 had to drag myself from there. Delighted anyway
    scheister|03:59:59|First marathon, would love to get under the 4 hour mark but will be thrilled to cross the line whatever happens| 04:30:02| bad day at the office but still found the finishline so im happy |
    Ger34|03:59:59|Will be a miracle(are you listening God)03:56:xx in Kildare 2011 but I am 2 years older now(excuse prepared)|04:11:17|With the way my achilles is swollen and creaking at the moment that time was my miracle
    cluainbolg|03:59:59|Second marathon first done in 4 12 ill be smiling from ear to ear if I get in under 4hrs this time|
    Ssshhh123|03:59:59|First time marathon as everyone above goal 1 is to finish goal 2 is under 3hr59min59secs. Main thing is enjoy it finish it.|
    rob w|03:59:59|First marathon too, so 4 hours would be amazing, but whether its 4 or 40 it'll be a PB...Win/Win! wink.png|3:57:25|Felt I paced it well, held back until 20m and pushed on from there, v.happy with result!|
    quinlivan|03:59:59|3:45 is my super-amazing-goal time, sub 4:00 ideally but overall, as long as I cross the finish line I'll have a big happy head on me|3:52:29|Delighted! Wouldnt change nothing about the day. First marathon so soaked up the energy, crowd and the run itself. Finished tired & sore but so pleased. Looking forward to Marathon #2 already!
    fraggle00|04:00:00| I was on track until damaging my knee but I hope to have recovered in time|
    Skidrow|04:09:59|Not my first but hoping it will be my bestsmile.png|
    SamForMayo |04:10:00| Im hoping to finishing in one piece and enjoy it!|03:58:23|No major pains, delighted with time.|
    Ososlo|04:10:00|Can't wait! BRING IT ON!|
    Rainrunner|04:10:00|I'd love to beat 4:10 but happy to finish.|04:25| I went out to fast. Felt great up to 18 mile running at 9:05: started to slow down to a walk/run by mile 22.. Lesson learned the hard way.
    Zaram|04:10:00|never thought I would do one so hope to enjoy it|04:01| thrilled. Absolutely loved every step. Started with 4.10 pacers and finished just behind 4hr pacers. Felt strong throughout, spent the 2nd half picking targets & passing them out. Can't wait for the next one!
    Colostomy Bag|04:18:00|2nd DCM, achieved 4h28m last year.|04:19:03|
    overthebridge|04:20:00|1st marathon. Aim is to finish but I'd be happy to get under 4.20|4:23:19|Harder than I thought. But hungry to do it again.
    Izoard|04:20:00|Pacer! Hope everyone hits their goals - gonna be great!
    dcorcaigh|04:20:00|It will be my first marathon so i want to enjoy it and also be in a fit state to enjoy the pints afterwards|04:18:53|very happy with that time for first marathon, just a slight pity my ITB flared up again at mile 22. Drinks afterwards tasted great!
    fruit pastille|04:20:00|run, enjoy, don't fall over and look back with pride.|04:22:10| enjoyed every bit of it and can't wait to do it all again!
    Vico1612|04:26:03|First timer who wants to beat his wife's DCM2012 time by 1 second :-)|04:09:46|Proud finisher ! Already looking at spring races :-)
    SnailsPace|04:29:58|2nd Marathon. Target for first one was 4:30 . Did it in 4:30:02, FFS 2 seconds !! Unfinished business with DCM.|
    Shortstuff!|04:29:59|Finish in one piece 1st & foremost with a smile on my face hopefullysmile.png more likely to be a blubbering/hyperventilating mess though!|04:59:41|Foot pain & muscle cramp meant my pace slowed right down from early on. Finished with a smilesmile.png I'll be back for 4:30
    Futureguy|04:29:59|My goal is to finish. Would be a dream to get under 4:29:59.|
    pansophelia|04:29:59|starting with the 4.30 pacers and I'll see how it goes after that - will probably get a few funny looks asking people 'are you a boardsie?|04:27:12| Was hard hard work, but delighted at the end!
    RoddyLarge|04:30:00|Just to finish, 20 miles nearly killed me but I am determined, and stubborn :-)|04:47:23| was on target until 20miles then my legs just give up on me|
    Shay95480|04:30:00|firstimer so just hopin to finish in one piece.|
    PauloMN|04:30:00|but happy just to finish in one piece. I'm the one swearing every step from mile 20 onwards.|04:47:23|Absolutely delighted to finish, but shame about the time, defo thought I had 04:30 in me. Struggled after 20 miles. Will be back for 2014. Crossed finish line with my son which was very special.
    AlsoRan|04:30:00|But anything under 4h 45 would be fine, I want to finish hopefully smiling!|
    shayno90|04:30:00|Ideally to finish at this time but completing the marathon is the most important thing|04:35:59|Was on course to finish at 10 mins a mile until Roebuck hill and the quads decided to start seizing up! Glad the training was worth it plus the crowd helped me cross the line.
    buggawugga|04:30:00|When I started out on DCM plan I had hoped for sub 4 hr but with missed training and couple of niggles I'll just be happy to finish.|
    Jasonbourne.cs|04:30:00|First Marathon aiming to finish in one piece and i'd be happy|
    Dow99|04:39:59|"HOLY Sh*T, I'M RUNNING A MARATHON IN 5 DAYS TIME!!|
    slowandsteady|04:45:00|First timer, longest run 18.5 Miles, hoping for 4:45 finish but will just be happy to finish.|04:58:54|Satisfied with that, just glad to finish given longest training run was 18.5 miles. Will improve it next time.|
    roseypo|04:50:00|Trying madly not to focus on a time and just try to enjoy the experience..
    PatsyPantaloni|04:59:59|First marathon, would love to get under the five hour mark but will be thrilled to cross the line whatever happens|05:15|Finished in 5.15 after hoping for a 4.59 finish, found it very tough going at times but was thrilled to finish in one piece. After initially saying never again, i'm now thinking "maybe a spring marathon and i can see about that sub-5 finish"|

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭Macaonbhuit

Any sign of the 2014 forum
    kicking off?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

Any sign of the 2014 forum
    kicking off?

Should be up and running in the next week or 2

• Advertisement
Advertisement