Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCM 2013: Mentored Novices Thread......Take 2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭Woden

Hi everyone,

Time for me to join the party and to say thanks so far for all the advice I've gleaned from the forum.

Signed up for DCM yesterday after finishing my first half marathon. Started running back in August for weight loss and have been enjoying it so want to keep it going. Will probably keep it fairly low key until I see how things are going. Would hate to get injured and not be able to proceed.

Have you raced before? If so what are your PBs? (Date and distance please!)

- 5k Parkrun at end of C25k Oct 2012 - 30:33
    - 5k Parkrun Nov 2012 - 29:43
    - 10k Regent Park Winter Series Jan 2013 - 55:04
    - 10K Regent Park Winter Series Feb 2013 – 52:19
    - East London Half Marathon April 2013 – 1:57:39

Do you still need to take walk breaks in your training ? (No problem if you do)

- No

•How much training do you currently do ? Distances, how many days a week, cross training - whatever you think is relevant to your current fitness level.

Running - Currently running 3 times a week. For the half marathon it was loosely based on halhigdon with the focus on the long run but I only took 2 of the mid week runs as I felt the 3 back to back attempt around Christmas sparked off some injuries which I have been working with. I do the LSR on the Saturday and built up to 20k before the half. The mid week runs varied between 5-10k generally increasing with the LSR

Strength/Cross - I’d do one day of strengthening – squats, lunges mostly from physio recommendation and ITB rolling and then perhaps an hour on the bike on Sunday (but not very often)

What do you want to achieve? Dream finishing time and realistic finishing time ?

Dream time – Sub 4

Realistic time – Sub 4:15. McMillian has 4:08. I’m hoping the additional months of base would help and I thought there would be another half to do in August/September perhaps to get a more realistic time close to the date

Other - From a post on my training log from this thread i’m hoping to get a flavour for other concepts such as use of the HRM with the Garmin. Different run types such as Easy and Tempo and when to do them. If/when/what to eat/drink for marathon training (just took some water on board for the half)

•How many days a week can you train ?

4-5 if work doesn’t change significantly

•Why are you running this marathon ?

Need a new goal after the half and I like working off a training plan and so far I’m preferred increasing distance rather than speed.
    Continued weight loss
    Dublin is my home town so it would be great to go back and do it there

•Questions?

Training paces then. Still working in kilometres. For the half I was targeting 5:40/km and tried to keep the LSR at 6.00/km as I’ve read it should be 30-90seconds per mile slower. I see that a pace calculator is recommending a long run pace of 6:26-7:15. Is this excessively slow?

Based around the same numbers then what pace should I be doing for the mid week runs. Assuming there are 2 at the moment. One at easy and one at tempo after a warmup based on say paces from http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/general/rws-training-pace-calculator/1676.html ?

Thanks,

Woden

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭runwithme

Welcome to the running group woden. Sounds like your well on track so far with a good solid base.........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭career_move

runwithme wrote: »
    Welcome to the running group woden. Sounds like your well on track so far with a good solid base.........
    +1
    See here for info on your paces. 7:15 seems a tiny bit on the slow side.

I don't really like working in kilometers :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 788 ✭✭✭rasher_m

+1

Hi C_M, I was only talking to someone the other day about you :D
    I think I read that you ran your lsrs at 10.30 pace if thats correct and NCMC ran hers at 10 mins.
    I also ran mine at 10 mins.
    Now I know you may both be a bit fitter/more natural ability than myself but I'm trying to get my head around which pace makes the more sense.
    My friend said maybe I should have been running mine even slower and then I was thinking maybe I should just have been running an extra few miles more than was on the Hal plan.
    Whats your opinion on this?

Hi A :) Well I think you could easily slow down your lsr to 10:30. I definitely wasn't running mine any faster than that. The mileage thing is important too though. Hal higdon is very skimpy on the long runs. If you're running them a bit slower you won't notice the 20 milers and I think you need to build up to at least 2x20m to be well prepared.

Sorry to hear about your calf pain btw :mad:

• Advertisement

Hi A :) Well I think you could easily slow down your lsr to 10:30. I definitely wasn't running mine any faster than that. The mileage thing is important too though. Hal higdon is very skimpy on the long runs. If you're running them a bit slower you won't notice the 20 milers and I think you need to build up to at least 2x20m to be well prepared.

Sorry to hear about your calf pain btw :mad:

Thanks c_m :)
    How fast did you run your mid week runs, if you don't mind me asking and did you add much mileage to the plan yourself?

+1

Cheers I couldn't see the training paces on McMillan earlier for some reason but there LSR is in the 5:49-6:37 (9:22-10:40) region which makes the 6min/k reasonable it seems.

I'll make the switch to miles tonight for the recovery run and perhaps target 10 min/mile for the LSR

rasher_m wrote: »
    Thanks c_m :)
    How fast did you run your mid week runs, if you don't mind me asking and did you add much mileage to the plan yourself?
    I only got a garmin in Oct so I'll look it up later on mapmyrun for you

• Registered Users Posts: 6,176 ✭✭✭Gavlor

I think there should be a mod note in the first post regarding measurement of distance.

Just so we are clear:

Kilometres for cycling;

MILES for running.

I only got a garmin in Oct so I'll look it up later on mapmyrun for you

Ah its grand if its not handy then don't worry about it. I was just curious to see the different times for training.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭MazzR

Hi!! Can I join in?? Well, maybe join in, advice would be good. I've been running on and off for two yrs or so but its been way too sporadic,until this year. The DCM is such a dream but please tell me if its a delusional dream for 2013 please!!
    •Have you raced before? If so what are your PBs? (Date and distance please!)
    Not much,did a 5k 3 wks ago in 30.?? Did a 10k last september in just over an hour.
    •Do you still need to take walk breaks in your training ? (No problem if you do)
    The v odd time if I've set off too fast.
    •How much training do you currently do ? Distances, how many days a week, cross training - whatever you think is relevant to your current fitness level.
    I run with my local club 2 nights a week and would do 3-4 miles,myself 2 other days and try and do 4 miles again. I cycle maybe 1 day a week for an hour or so but plan to increase this.
    •What do you want to achieve? Dream finishing time and realistic finishing time ?
    TBH, to finish it is the dream!!
    •How many days a week can you train ?
    4-5 running anyway. Maybe more
    •Why are you running this marathon ?
    Oh back to the dream!!!
    Like I said, I've dedicated myself to training this year,helped along by giving up the smokes which i feel hindered me all along,so I'm looking forward to seeing an improvement in times and comfort even!!!!

So, what do ye think???

• Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭scriba

Gavlor wrote: »
    I think there should be a mod note in the first post regarding measurement of distance.

Just so we are clear:

Kilometres for cycling;

MILES for running.

Boo! Kilometres for running. Splits come sooner, and bigger numbers to fire into your log. :)

MazzR wrote: »
    So, what do ye think???
    Ya no bother to you as long as you're prepared to put the work in ;)

scriba wrote: »
    Boo! Kilometres for running. Splits come sooner, and bigger numbers to fire into your log. :)

Ah yeah.... But you have more splits... 42 instead of 26.1!!
    Demorilising when you are only 1/3 thru a marathon!!!

Ah yeah.... But you have more splits... 42 instead of 26.1!!
    Demorilising when you are only 1/3 thru a marathon!!!

I'm thinking of changing to miles for the marathon... *hangs head in metric shame*

rasher_m wrote: »
    Ah its grand if its not handy then don't worry about it. I was just curious to see the different times for training.
    They were mostly around the 9:00 - 10:30 time. Some of them were around 11:15 though and the recoveries were around 12:15 :D I only did 4 pace runs but they were a bit quicker than PMP pace @ 8:15 - 8:40

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭KillianByrne

MazzR wrote: »
    Hi!! Can I join in??
    So, what do ye think???

I think you'll have no issues running a marathon if you train. You already get out with the runners on a couple of times a week, you're in a club so have a direct support network and you say that you'll have the time to train from now till race day.

All you need to do now is get out & do it. You have enough fitness now to start, you just need to build it up.

Go for it...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,565 ✭✭✭ahnowbrowncow

Anyone else doing the 5k in Dundalk this Saturday?

I signed up to it a couple of weeks ago but I haven't been doing too much running lately so I'll see how it goes. It'll be my first 5k so I'll at least have a benchmark for the future.

Any advice on how to best prepare for it? Seeing as I haven't much mileage in the legs I was thinking of getting out tomorrow and Thursday for a 10k and 8k run respectively and resting Friday.

Also signed up for the Samsung night run 10k which is in 12 days now, any advice for training between now and then?

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭MazzR

Great!! Can't wait to get stuck into the training...I'm ready for it!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

Anyone else doing the 5k in Dundalk this Saturday?

I signed up to it a couple of weeks ago but I haven't been doing too much running lately so I'll see how it goes. It'll be my first 5k so I'll at least have a benchmark for the future.

Any advice on how to best prepare for it? Seeing as I haven't much mileage in the legs I was thinking of getting out tomorrow and Thursday for a 10k and 8k run respectively and resting Friday.

Also signed up for the Samsung night run 10k which is in 12 days now, any advice for training between now and then?

I am doing that race alright, it's a great race. Between now and then just keep it ticking over, there is nothing you can do between now and then that will help your performance but you can damage your prospects. If you haven't done much running recently, be careful about doing a 10k and 8k run that close to the race, only do it if you are familiar with that kind of mileage, you don't want sore muscles on the day of the race. With regards to the race itself, the first kilometre is mostly downhill and it can be easy to get carried away and go off too fast, there is a bit of a climb in the middle of the race so you need to save a bit for that and the final k which is also downhill.
    For the 10k I would just try and get out as often as possible (without overdoing it) before the race, any running you get done will benefit you. I wouldn't bother with any sessions maybe apart from an fartlek session or something like that to give an injection of pace to your training.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭martyboy48

I was going to ask about the whole kms vs miles units, but I see it's been brought up already :D

I suppose I'll make the change tomorrow and conform :pac:

I saw a chart of some kind here on boards a while ago. It was just one page with miles/kms/distance/pace converter. You didn't have to input anything, just a simple 'down and across' reference thingy.. I don't suppose any of ye know what I'm looking for??

martyboy48 wrote: »
    I was going to ask about the whole kms vs miles units, but I see it's been brought up already :D

I saw a chart of some kind here on boards a while ago. It was just one page with miles/kms/distance/pace converter. You didn't have to input anything, just a simple 'down and across' reference thingy.. I don't suppose any of ye know what I'm looking for??
    Is this any good to you?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

martyboy48 wrote: »

No! If you want to run in km's then do - there are a handful of fossils (like Gavlor) from last year's novices who can't accept that we went fully metric nearly 10 years ago. Km also gives you better control / quicker feedback on your pace.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

scriba wrote: »
    I'm thinking of changing to miles for the marathon... *hangs head in metric shame*

Don't do it - viva la revolution!

Dilbert75 wrote: »
    Don't do it - viva la revolution!

I'm thinking Al Pacino's speech in "Any Given Sunday" ... Life ... is a game of cm. Down with imperial measurement!

I am conflicted!

Woden wrote: »
    I am conflicted!

Have a look at our PB's and decide who is correct ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭upthe19th

Just so we are clear:

Kilometres for cycling;

MILES for running.

And more importantly....

Pints for drinking

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭KillianByrne

Do the mentors still get paid in pints? if so, can last years novices who drop in some helpful advice get paid in Shorts?

As in gin & vodka, not the other type of shorts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

Well I do both Kms and miles - I put the formulas into my Excel spreadsheet log so that it does the conversion for me automatically and I see all distances and speeds in terms of both.

Having said that, I mostly use KMs......what with my injury record that may flare up if I jump up too far too soon, I am more comfortabe increasing my LSR's by 1Km than by 1 mile....safer.

Plus.....I'm a modern man! :D

Advertisement