Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCM 2013: Mentored Novices Thread......Take 2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

So last night, I had a dream about running DCM.

I set off....proud of myself to have gotten thru all that training and to be running a marathon....feeling good...feeling strong....I sprinted ahead of people with ease....and then more people....til I was running on my own.....nobody in sight. After only 20 minutes, the finishing tape was in sight....I thought, Jeez I'm really fast....and I went over the finish line amidst enthusiastic reception and much adulation as the race winner.

Then, I discovered I had wandered off the DCM course and crossed the finish line of a completely different, much shorter race and was duly disqualified from both.

So d'ya think my sub-conscious is trying to tell me to cop the **** on and concentrate on shorter distances? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭career_move

Laois_Man wrote: »

I set off....proud of myself to have gotten thru all that training and to be running a marathon....feeling good...feeling strong....I sprinted ahead of people with ease....and then more people....til I was running on my own.....nobody in sight. After only 20 minutes, the finishing tape was in sight....I thought, Jeez I'm really fast....and I went over the finish line amidst enthusiastic reception and much adulation as the race winner.

Then, I discovered I had wandered off the DCM course and crossed the finish line of a completely different, much shorter race and was duly disqualified from both.

So d'ya think my sub-conscious is trying to tell me to cop the **** on and concentrate on shorter distances? :D
    Nah I think your sub-conscious was trying to tell you to STFD ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭shortstuff!

Can only imagine what sort of dreams youll be having when you hit taper madness if youre having DCM dreams before we even start training:D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

BrokenMan wrote: »
    good advice. just one small thing, pyramid sessions would start out short, build up then taper down.
    to follow the example you have it would be 1,2,3,4,3,2,1

That's very true, the ones our coach has us do were like this though, think he just a bit sadistic! You start long then get short before going long again, meaning you are trying to run longer reps at the end when you are fatigued, which is good for mental toughness. We did these a lot for the cross country season to get used to varying intensities and to build stamina towards the end of a race.

Can only imagine what sort of dreams youll be having when you hit taper madness if youre having DCM dreams before we even start training:D

Before we start training??? :confused:

Speak for yourself :D

• Advertisement

Before we start training??? :confused:

Speak for yourself :D

Ha should have read marathon specific training!

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭FrClintPower

greenb wrote: »
    ....My legs were extremely upset with me and protested like Greek civil servants for about 7 weeks.....

in fairness, that should surely get some sort of Simile of the Week award....

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭DULLAHAN2

Well thats my training plan sorted. Going to do the 2013 including athlone plan. Have been wanting to do the 3/4 marathon since it started. I entered all 3 races last night, Athlone half, 3/4 and DCM. Should be fun:):)

DULLAHAN2 wrote: »
    Well thats my training plan sorted. Going to do the 2013 including athlone plan. Have been wanting to do the 3/4 marathon since it started. I entered all 3 races last night, Athlone half, 3/4 and DCM. Should be fun:):)
    YAY :D:D:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

DULLAHAN2 wrote: »

Shall be running all 3 myself to hopefully, Athlone is where all the cool people will be!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭RunningKing

What's the 3/4 like tang, heard mixed reports?

What's the 3/4 like tang, heard mixed reports?

Its well organised & ran race, the course is 'undulating' to be kind to it. Its ran on mostly quiet country roads that are still open to traffic. I've only heard good things about from down home, C_M and blockic were impressed with it last year as far as i remember.

tang1 wrote: »
    Its well organised & ran race, the course is 'undulating' to be kind to it. Its ran on mostly quiet country roads that are still open to traffic. I've only heard good things about from down home, C_M and blockic were impressed with it last year as far as i remember.
    Ya it's great as a prep race for DCM. The pacers run it like a lsr at PMP for Dublin so I went with the '4hr' pacers (Aimman and jcsmum) and they did a great job

• Closed Accounts Posts: 788 ✭✭✭rasher_m

Ya it's great as a prep race for DCM. The pacers run it like a lsr at PMP for Dublin so I went with the '4hr' pacers (Aimman and jcsmum) and they did a great job

One thing my friend who ran it said was that it will really show you up if you havn't trained well. He found it very tough but is going back this year to give it a good lash. There are a lot of hills on that course, great prep for Dublin as c_m says

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭Kurt Godel

Im the same, mid week runs are a struggle timewise. Fit 3X5K midweek runs in this week so hopefully can continue. Tuesday straight after work but meant I didnt eat dinner until 9pm still in running gear :eek: Lunchtime run on Thurday as I was home too late Wednesday and then a 6.30 run this morning before work! Wouldnt have managed any further than 5km as constrained by daylight hours... Hopefully with the days getting longer, Ill be able to increase the distance a bit...

What peoples opinions on splitting the longer mid week runs later in the plan? Say 3m in am/lunch and balance in evening if you definately couldnt fit it in timewise in the evening? I guess I should just plan to HTFU and get up earlier:rolleyes:

There's no use in splitting runs into two separate sessions- long runs are specific to getting your legs used to working for a while, the benefit is in pushing yourself for those last few miles when you're tired. Taking 3m off and running it earlier may even be counterproductive.

The plan is the plan is the plan. Don't second guess the sessions, they will have been designed for specificity. HTFU and getting up earlier will almost certainly gaurantee you a quicker time; go with that idea;)

Kurt Godel wrote: »
    There's no use in splitting runs into two separate sessions- long runs are specific to getting your legs used to working for a while, the benefit is in pushing yourself for those last few miles when you're tired. Taking 3m off and running it earlier may even be counterproductive.

The plan is the plan is the plan. Don't second guess the sessions, they will have been designed for specificity. HTFU and getting up earlier will almost certainly gaurantee you a quicker time; go with that idea;)

Looks like I'll be up bright n early over the next couple months so! Sure I can always sleep on the bus on the way to work!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Darren 83

I joined my local club first thing I noticed was they do dynamic stretches at the start then after static, just wondering what every one else does any benefits in either ?

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭DULLAHAN2

Has anyone done any of the docklands runs? Are they well organised? They are running a 10k in june that i am thinking of doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

Darren 83 wrote: »
    I joined my local club first thing I noticed was they do dynamic stretches at the start then after static, just wondering what every one else does any benefits in either ?

Dynamic stretches are done to warm up your muscles before a hard session or race instead of static stretches which are done afterwards when you're muscles are well warmed up and loose. You shouldn't do static stretches with cold muscles and it could cause an injury. Some sort of stretching is needed before a session in order to warm up and prepare your muscles, ideally you should do at least 10 mins easy jogging, then some dynamic warm-ups, then 4-6 strides and then your session.

18miles done this week, base building not going too bad at all:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭runwithme

I did 19.1 (that .1 is very important) last week. So im pretty chuffed with myself. Now that the weather is getting better and the bike has moved out of the hallway.........it will be a battle between the cycling and running.......:eek:

21.1 miles done here. Doing The Great Ireland Run next Sunday and the legs really need a step back week right now cos I haven't been doing any. So other than the 10K race itself, I'll only be doing one or two short runs in the next 7 days I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭runwithme

I really hope this wind doesn't last much longer. I feel like im running backwards half the time.........never mind when I have to tackle a hill with the wind beating me back down it again. Im sure it must be good for building a strong base but seriously..............GO AWAY.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Milknosugar

So Ive decided to do the Burren Half instead of the full and now I havent run in over two weeks! A combination of family, a 30th, pure laziness and a love of hot yoga means my runners have been neglected :(
    I suppose I need to make a plan for this half and get stuck in. Would a goal of 2:15be too much after my 2:28 in wicklow? I have 6 weeks and counting...

So Ive decided to do the Burren Half instead of the full and now I havent run in over two weeks! A combination of family, a 30th, pure laziness and a love of hot yoga means my runners have been neglected :(
    I suppose I need to make a plan for this half and get stuck in. Would a goal of 2:15be too much after my 2:28 in wicklow? I have 6 weeks and counting...
    You're talking about knocking off a minute per mile. It's certainly ambitious and not having run for two weeks is not in your favour. How much of a base had you before doing Wicklow?

From running both races i can tell you the Burren Half is much tougher than Wicklow, good bit of it is on gravel paths and uneven trails and some rather tough downhill sections. Its a much more severe course on the legs. The scenery does make up for it:D

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Milknosugar

I was expecting the burren to be tough all right and hopefully we wont have the heatwave they had last year!

My base wasn't great to be honest. I had done most of the training up to oct for last years DCM but my Dad got sick very quickly and passed away.
    I did the 5k Memorial run in Phoenix park in nov for him with a tummy bug in 34 mins - i loaded myself up with imodium and just went for it!
    Didnt do much after that, then broke my wrist iceskating in dec so that put me out for another month. I went skiing with the broken wrist figuring I couldnt get any more injured and I came back with a nasty chest infection which put me out until the middle of jan.

So i started again from scratch and built up to a 10 mile run about 2 weeks before the wicklow run. and thats where I am now! Hopefully my journey wont be so rocky this time!

I was expecting the burren to be tough all right and hopefully we wont have the heatwave they had last year!

My base wasn't great to be honest. I had done most of the training up to oct for last years DCM but my Dad got sick very quickly and passed away.
    I did the 5k Memorial run in Phoenix park in nov for him with a tummy bug in 34 mins - i loaded myself up with imodium and just went for it!
    Didnt do much after that, then broke my wrist iceskating in dec so that put me out for another month. I went skiing with the broken wrist figuring I couldnt get any more injured and I came back with a nasty chest infection which put me out until the middle of jan.

So i started again from scratch and built up to a 10 mile run about 2 weeks before the wicklow run. and thats where I am now! Hopefully my journey wont be so rocky this time!
    You did 2:20 in the Dublin half last year so you could definitely run 2:15 but your training seems a bit hit and miss and I think if you push hard for 2:15 in Burren you could well get injured. 6 weeks is not long enough. I probably would forget about it myself and focus on getting my training up to a steady level and maybe look for a 5k/10k in May but if you run it just enjoy the day and don't worry about a time

• Registered Users Posts: 6,176 ✭✭✭Gavlor

You aren't going to lose a huge amount of fitness over 2 weeks.

6 weeks of good training will help you achieve your target or there abouts for the burren. Pick up a ten week programme and join week 3 or 4. I certainly wouldn't skip it.

• Advertisement

I'm a major doubt for The Great Ireland Run this coming Sunday. I'm gutted. I had some bad back trouble last July shortly after I started my training where I tried to do too much too quick. So when I eventually recovered, I built up my running distances very VERY slowly. Until recently that is - when about 4 or 5 weeks ago I got cocky and started doing LSR's and built up to 14K and now my July injury is back. I dunno how I'm supposed to follow a marathon training plan if my back wants to make me build up much much slower than even the most basic novice plan instructs!

Gutted and very frustrated! :(

Advertisement