Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Would you wear clothing with the British flag on it?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

No - I am a dedicated follower of fashion. Wearing the Butcher's Apron is so last season.

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭simply simple

does a sign on the front or back make any difference to you?
    plz free yourself from all those chains and boundries, ireland belongs to irish, doesnt matter if obama had ancestors here or someone has a british flag on his T shirt. Anger and Fear has to be left behind.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭DesperateDan

I had a pair of these for a while, definitely one of the cooler pairs of shoes I've owned. But I'm Scottish. And a big fan of The Who.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,676 ✭✭✭✭herisson

No, i wouldnt. I dont think it looks good at all, personally. I wouldnt wear something with an Irish Flag on it either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,558 ✭✭✭seven_eleven

Yes, I would. No problem at all. As long as it isnt screaming in your face.
    I would wear any flag really as long as it wasnt too prevalent. i.e taking up the entire shirt etc.

also, if I was in Northern Ireland I wouldnt for obvious reasons. But I wouldnt find myself there anyway.
    If you wouldnt wear for reasons other than not liking the look/fashion style of it then you probably need to grow up a bit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

SeanFxx wrote: »
    I seen a photo yesterday on facebook, of a top someone bought, it has a huge uk flag on the back. I personally wouldn't touch it....

:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

iDave wrote: »
    I remember a 'fashion' trend a few years ago of wearing jumpers and T-shirts that said CCCP on them. Nice to see so many people condoned Stalins Purges, gulags, nuclear proliferation, putting war heads in Cuba, dividing Europe, shooting reformers and not holding free elections.

Yeh because that's what they were doing. Stalin wasn't the Soviet Union's only leader you know?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 963 ✭✭✭NinjaK

Would a Jew wear a swastika?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

gerry adams doesn't seem to mind ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭Jogathon

I wouldn't wear an English rugby/soccer jersey.

But that's a Jack Wills hoodie, I like Jack Wills stuff, great quality casual clothes and fantastic sailing gear. I'd probably pick a hoodie that didn't have the flag on the back but don't really see the big deal. It's a brand, you're not pledging allegiance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

No. For two reasons, i. I'm not British, ii, I quite like my face and dont need that kind of unwanted attention from the nations/islands minority.

I do have an England football jersey, but only wear that in the security/privacy of my own home.

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭Jogathon

NinjaK wrote: »
    Would a Jew wear a swastika?

Would German Jews wear their country's flag? That is a more suitable question, the swastika was the emblem of the Nazi Party, not an entire country.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

baz2009 wrote: »
    It's really not at all hypocritical.:confused:
    English football club jerseys don't represent years of oppression.

Yes because the teethless teenagers who get all butthurt about the Union Jack(or the "English flag" as they call it) know all about the years of oppression.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭LawlessBoy

Its just Jack Wills stuff in general, a few celebs throw a hoodie or two on and everyone goes mad for it! Also hate them Ralph Lauren bodywarmers with the union jack plastered across the chest! Wouldnt wear anything with a union jack on it!

irish-stew wrote: »

I do have an England football jersey, but only wear that in the security/privacy of my own home.

:confused: some kind of fetish?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭tfitzgerald

fryup wrote: »
    gerry adams doesn't seem to mind ;)

Those boys had balls. I wouldn't wear it but not for any other reason other than I don't like it. The English flag of st George I like and would wear.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

Nimrod 7 wrote: »
    Yes because the teethless teenagers who get all butthurt about the Union Jack(or the "English flag" as they call it) know all about the years of oppression.

Well, most people on the island have some idea that Britain once ruled Ireland, so they have the jist of it. Even if they don't, it still, doesn't make them hypocritical.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,479 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

No, have rejected some Reebok shoes because of this.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,975 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

DylanII wrote: »
    I think it looks cool. I would feel weird wearing it around Dublin though.

That would be the effect of the brick on the back of the head, a well known cause of feeling weird.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

I wouldn't wear something with a big union jack on it. But then I wouldn't like to wear something with any flag on it. I just want plain unbranded stuff these days. I don't want to my clothes making statements or imparting any information other than I'm clothed.

I'm pretty sure I have clothes with small union jacks on them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭Festy

No and nor would I wear any of that Lonsdale crap either which seems to be very popular in this country.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭humbert

My bicycle has a British flag on it. I'd prefer it didn't but don't give a shit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,622 ✭✭✭Ruu

England was a common holiday destination as a child, once brought home a nice blue cap with a British flag on the front, got awful stick at school. I was about 8 or 9 years old. *breaks down*

• Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

fryup wrote: »
    :confused: some kind of fetish?

For same reasons as not wearing something with union flag on (the being beaten up part). Although its usally taken off quite quickly after the final whistle considering alot of their results.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,289 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

No I wouldn't wear anything with the butchers apron on it because I'm Irish.

It would be like telling those nice followers of King Billy to wear the tricolour, but at least we don't burn the Brit flag.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

Normally no, I think it looks tacky, but after all the "Butchers apron " comments I'm tempted.

Those boys had balls. I wouldn't wear it but not for any other reason other than I don't like it. The English flag of st George I like and would wear.

those boys look gay
    It would be like telling those nice followers of King Billy to wear the tricolour, but at least we don't burn the Brit flag.

ya right :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭Hilly Bill

SeanFxx wrote: »
    Would you wear clothes with the British flag on it?

I seen a photo yesterday on facebook, of a top someone bought, it has a huge uk flag on the back. I personally wouldn't touch it....

https://fbcdn-sphotos-h-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-frc1/733989_10200127016110555_1713967780_n.jpg

Why would you want to touch what someone else has bought in the first place ???

• Registered Users Posts: 943 ✭✭✭Real Life

I probably wouldnt, but id try avoid wearing anything with the irish flag too. Too much connotations with either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭Chinasea

Get over-yourself and your 600 years ago hangups.

Would ye be so000 upset if it was an American flag, Spanish flag etc. The whole nationalist things sucks.

I have built a bridge, time you did.

Advertisement