Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Would you wear clothing with the British flag on it?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,958 ✭✭✭Mr_Spaceman

Steven81 wrote: »
    Remember about 15 years ago a lad coming into school in a Rangers away jersey, was ripped off him and he got a few slaps, he just liked the jersey without knowing the reaction.

He learned his lesson

So then. A kid is slapped by a scumbag for wearing a football jersey with a bigot like yourself defending it.

Classy.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

[quo Quote: LordSutch

...Looking at the British isles.... te="vincit qui se vincit;83907944"]
    *British jingoist alert*[/quote]
    Yes, I guess we have to change alot of names that send out the wrong message, the Indian Ocean, the Irish Sea, the Sea of Japan, America, New England, Fairyhouse, the Holy Ground, the Virgin Islands and Hackballscross. So, what name should geographers ascribe to the archipelago that includes Great Britain, Ireland, the Isle of Man etc.?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 806 ✭✭✭getzls

cournioni wrote: »
    The people that fought for that flag treated us like second class citizens and tried to wipe us and our culture off the face of the planet, so yeah I'd see it as fairly similar.

Are you as a moderator comparing Britain and the Nazis as the same evil?

Shame on you.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 65 ✭✭LindowMan

I saw an Indian guy on An Idiot Abroad 3 wearing a jumper with the Union Flag emblazoned on it. Items of clothing and other appliances with the Union Flag emblazoned on just look so cool. It wouldn't quite have that effect, though, with the Irish Tricolour.

Fans of Japanese manga will know that Yotsuba (Japanese for "four-leaf clover"), from Sister Princess, wears Union Flag clothing.

yotsuba_unionflag_1076.jpg

334566.jpg

http://s3.zerochan.net/Yotsuba.600.13695.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

with these shoes? No way,

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

LindowMan wrote: »
    I saw an Indian guy on An Idiot Abroad 3 wearing a jumper with the Union Flag emblazoned on it. Items of clothing and other appliances with the Union Flag emblazoned on just look so cool. It wouldn't quite have that effect, though, with the Irish Tricolour.

Fans of Japanese manga will know that Yotsuba (Japanese for "four-leaf clover"), from Sister Princess, wears Union Flag clothing.

yotsuba_unionflag_1076.jpg

334566.jpg

http://s3.zerochan.net/Yotsuba.600.13695.jpg[/QUOTE]

Yes that's lovely and all that but would you see an Indian guy wearing a Pakistan jumper if it was fashionable ? doubt it, Or a Japanese cartoon character with a chinese emblem ? doubt that very much to, or lastly British people wearing fashionable clothes with a German flag on it ? doubt that one two, As I have said earlier I would not wear any flag on my person and can understand why people don't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

Nodin wrote: »
    That was photoshopped.

I dont think it was. Ive never seen any claims or proof that it was anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

There's a 3rd season of An Idiot Abroad? Is it finished yet?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

Yeah. It was a bit shít.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭tdv123

I don't think people like Connelly, MacDemorat, Collins, Pearse etc... put their lives on the line for me to wear the same flag that they were fighting against.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭gallag

tdv123 wrote: »
    I don't think people like Connelly, MacDemorat, Collins, Pearse etc... put their lives on the line for me to wear the same flag that they were fighting against.

Yep, never move forward, if only the millions of irish that have moved to the UK for work and a better life had your attitude, now lets all sing a nice rebel song.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭tdv123

gallag wrote: »
    Yep, never move forward, if only the millions of irish that have moved to the UK for work and a better life had your attitude, now lets all sing a nice rebel song.

Where did I say not to move forward?

I'm big supporter of the Peace Process I was personally delighted when the Queen came here to visit & gave a terrific speech.

Paisley & McGuinness in the HOC together was one of the most remarkable transformations I've ever witnessed. Ok, both have blunders (to put it nicely) to their names & still have their hardcore critics but it really does give you hope in places like Palestine, Iraq, North Africa etc... were peace seems impossible. But it was a step forward & in the right direction. imo

So please don't confuse dwelling on the past with remembering people who I would consider heroes.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

Pearse, the poor man's General Custer.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭trickymicky

sure didnt your man philly in tallafornia always where that t-shirt with the union jack in black and nothing ever happened to him (unfortunately). Personally i wouldnt wear one and i dont mind if someone else does just dont be stupid and wear one on paddys or something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

NinjaK wrote: »
    Would a Jew wear a swastika?
    Talk about blowing it out of context...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 343 ✭✭Chop Chop

Flags should be banned outright, it never ceases to amaze me when you go away, all the eijits with there flags hanging off balconies.

I now holiday in more upmarket areas, just to make sure I don't have to be near flag waving, tatoo wearing freaks.

Flags should be banned outright, it never ceases to amaze me when you go away, all the eijits with there flags hanging off balconies.

I now holiday in more upmarket areas, just to make sure I don't have to be near flag waving, tatoo wearing freaks.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭gallag

Chop Chop wrote: »

Dont forget beer drinker's too, the commoners do tend to ruin one's holidays.

gallag wrote: »
    Dont forget beer drinker's too, the commoners do tend to ruin one's holidays.

Indeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭trickymicky

Chop Chop wrote: »

Well strangely enough, a few years ago i went on foreign holiday and the same again all the apartments had their union jack, st georges cross towels and flags all over them.

But in the centre of the apartment block, surrounded by all those british flags, laid the irish tri-colour.

I wont lie it put a huge smile on my face and a sense of patriotism came over me for all of five seconds :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,733 ✭✭✭Duckworth_Luas

I dont think it was. Ive never seen any claims or proof that it was anyway.
    I've seen the claim that it was 'shopped.

In another photo the guy in the Celtic tracksuit is holding a different sign. Among the group is another protester holding the "No to foreign games" sign.

The only image of Celtic man with the sign is cropped, ie all other protesters are deleted, with the "foreign games" text pasted over the sign he was holding.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

But were they fighting against the British flag, the British people, and Britain, OR were they fighting against the British administration of Ireland?

Either way, the British administration of the 1920s is long gone, the British people of the 1920 are also for the most part gone too, the modern
    British Army has a very different role to play in the 21st century, plus Britain & Ireland are very different places now, > so should you still
    hate the flag of the British people now in 2013?

Probably not. Those leaders of the unsuccessful coup d'etat of 1916 would most likely not have approved of anything to do with the Union Flag. On the other hand, that is mere speculation. Guessing what the dead would do if they were alive is a hazardous business. People's minds have been known to change, evolve etc.,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

LordSutch wrote: »
    Either way, the British administration of the 1920s is long gone, the British people of the 1920 are also for the most part gone too, the modern
    British Army has a very different role to play in the 21st century, .........

Yep. Totally different.
    British soldiers and air personnel who helped to operate a secretive US detention facility in Baghdad that was at the centre of some of the most serious human-rights abuses to occur in Iraq after the invasion have, for the first time, spoken about abuses they witnessed there.
    British soldiers were almost always accompanied by a lone American soldier, who was then recorded as having captured the prisoner.
    Members of the SAS and SBS were repeatedly briefed on the importance of this measure.
    It was an arrangement that enabled the British government to sidestep a Geneva convention clause that would have obliged it to demand the return of any prisoner transferred to the US once it became apparent that they were not being treated in accordance with the convention.
    And it consigned the prisoners to what some lawyers have described as a legal black hole.
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2013/apr/01/british-troops-witness-us-torture

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 388 ✭✭Truncheon Rouge

Driving along the Dublin Quays today, they have all these foreign flags flying along the quays for some kind of Europe bullsh.it thing.

Not seeing a union flag I laughed a little and thought how some things stay the same.

But then........there it was ....British flag, Dublin quays, bout half way down toward the phoenix park end, south side.

I almost dropped my torch and pitchfork.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Driving along the Dublin Quays today, they have all these foreign flags flying along the quays for some kind of Europe bullsh.it thing.

Not seeing a union flag I laughed a little and thought how some things stay the same.

But then........there it was ....British flag, Dublin quays, bout half way down toward the phoenix park end, south side.

I almost dropped my torch and pitchfork.

Are you a three prong or a four prong man?

Does a flag represent a people or a government?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

Chinasea wrote: »
    Get over-yourself and your 600 years ago hangups.

Would ye be so000 upset if it was an American flag, Spanish flag etc. The whole nationalist things sucks.

I have built a bridge, time you did.

Great wall too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

They can come in handy to catch the drool from the less developed among us too.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

They can come in handy to catch the drool from the less developed among us too.

That's not the British flag.

Advertisement