Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SF to refund property tax

Options

Comments

SamHall wrote: »
    It's now April and I've still received nothing from revenue.

Maybe coincidence, but i didn't register for the hhc either.

Anyone else in same boat, or have any of you that didn't pay /register for the hhc receive anything yet?
    Are you working? We got the letter and it was addressed to the last person who had dealings with revenue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

Are you working? We got the letter and it was addressed to the last person who had dealings with revenue.

Yes, both of us working.

They will definitely earn it from this house though. Paid stamp duty in 06/07, so we certainly will not go meekly that's for sure.

Be interesting now if Labour pull the pin and force a general election before July.
    That's not beyond the realms of possibility either now after their disastrous performance in Meath east.

Eamonn couldn't be confident at the minute.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

All the political parties will come out with ridiculous claims about scraping the property tax or refunding it - when it power "Oh we'd love to but IMF/EU won't let us".

• Registered Users Posts: 51,652 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Yes, both of us working.

They will definitely earn it from this house though. Paid stamp duty in 06/07, so we certainly will not go meekly that's for sure.

Be interesting now if Labour pull the pin and force a general election before July.
    That's not beyond the realms of possibility either now after their disastrous performance in Meath east.

Eamonn couldn't be confident at the minute.

Labour are between two stools at the moment.
    If they continue to implement FG policies they are dead in the water.
    If they pull out of Govt they might just save the party but there is irreversible damage done already. They have lost their grassroots.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭bgrizzley

Oh btw, people keep mentioning revenue like they're the bogeyman or something?

Revenue have enough in their plates with tax evasion in this country. (real tax evaders)

this is something ive oft wondered with the protaxers. why are they so frightened of the revenue and audits.
    Something to hide guys? thought you were all whiter than white :P

• Advertisement

All the political parties will come out with ridiculous claims about scraping the property tax or refunding it - when it power "Oh we'd love to but IMF/EU won't let us".

Exactly like the current govt have done?

IIRC the troika said they were not married to a property tax, but sure don't let that get in the way of a good yarn....

It is very easy to fall back on the Troikas when you are in a corner.
    They can be blamed for everything.
    If the cat had kittens it's the Troikas's fault.
    Saves you having to explain yourself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭bgrizzley

It is very easy to fall back on the Troikas when you are in a corner.
    They can be blamed for everything.
    If the cat had kittens it's the Troikas's fault.
    Saves you having to explain yourself.

i think they got rid of Dominique Strauss-Kahn... :pac::pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭darkhorse

Phoebas wrote: »
    Revenue are an Office, not a Department and out of direct Government control.

When did they branch out on their own? So, is Mr Noonan no longer their boss?

Exactly like the current govt have done?

IIRC the troika said they were not married to a property tax, but sure don't let that get in the way of a good yarn....

And Sinn Fein have said they think high expense claims by TD's should be stopped while they have been stocking up on printer ink at the tax-payers expense as if it's water in a drought.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭Phoebas

darkhorse wrote: »
    When did they branch out on their own? So, is Mr Noonan no longer their boss?

They aren't part of Finance - they have no Minister in charge and they don't take instruction from Government.
    Noonan was never their boss.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Paramite Pie

Labour are between two stools at the moment.
    If they continue to implement FG policies they are dead in the water.
    If they pull out of Govt they might just save the party but there is irreversible damage done already. They have lost their grassroots.

Well if Fianna Fail can come back then anyone can. They'll be wiped out for one election cycle, that's it. Sad fact of Irish politics.

They aren't part of Finance - they have no Minister in charge and they don't take instruction from Government.
    Noonan was never their boss.

The Revenue Commissioners, (Irish: na Coimisinéirí Ioncaim), usually referred to as simply Revenue is the Irish Government agency responsible for customs, excise, taxation and related matters. Though Revenue can trace itself back to predecessors (with the Act of Union 1800 amalgamating its forerunners with HM Customs and Excise in the United Kingdom), the current organisation was created for the independent Irish Free State in 21 February 1923 by the Revenue Commissioners Order, 1923[1] which established the Revenue Commissioners to carry out the functions that the Commissioners of Inland Revenue and the Commissioners of Customs and Excise had carried out in the Free State prior to independence. The Revenue Commissioners are responsible to the Minister for Finance.

Well if Fianna Fail can come back then anyone can. They'll be wiped out for one election cycle, that's it. Sad fact of Irish politics.

I can see a break-up in Labour with a "New Labour" party being started by Keaveney and Shortall. They would take the grassroots with them. The others are history.

And Sinn Fein have said they think high expense claims while they have been stocking up on printer ink at the tax-payers expense as if it's water in a drought.

I have read, and then I've re-read the above, but can make neither heads nor tales of it:confused:

Say wha?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭Mister Jingles

As a SF voter I did laugh when I heard this.....:p

The Revenue Commissioners, (Irish: na Coimisinéirí Ioncaim), usually referred to as simply Revenue is the Irish Government agency responsible for customs, excise, taxation and related matters. Though Revenue can trace itself back to predecessors (with the Act of Union 1800 amalgamating its forerunners with HM Customs and Excise in the United Kingdom), the current organisation was created for the independent Irish Free State in 21 February 1923 by the Revenue Commissioners Order, 1923[1] which established the Revenue Commissioners to carry out the functions that the Commissioners of Inland Revenue and the Commissioners of Customs and Excise had carried out in the Free State prior to independence. The Revenue Commissioners are responsible to the Minister for Finance.

Congratulations. You've demonstrated your ability to operate Wikipedia. Now, if you would actually read the thread, and where this discussion came from:
    Am Chile wrote:
    Some peoples posts on here about revenue powers etc-revenue can only do what they are instucted to do-after what happened to labour last week in meath-I bet in private meetings many within labour are probaly having second thoughts about following through with giving revenue intructions to go after peoples bank accounts and wages- I know someone might say helen mcentee was elected- she was elected on a sympathy vote more then anything else and more then 60+ % of people never bother voting last week.

So, to reiterate.
    The Minister for Finance has no executive function in Revenue. He cannot instruct Revenue to do anything and he certainly can't instruct them not to collect a tax or instruct them about how to collect taxes.

FFs Bertie's former Special Adviser on Vincent Browne.
    These Fcuks are coming out of the woodwork at last.

I have read, and then I've re-read the above, but can make neither heads nor tales of it:confused:

Say wha?

Fixed it now, thanks.

Congratulations. You've demonstrated your ability to operate Wikipedia. Now, if you would actually read the thread, and where this discussion came from:

So, to reiterate.
    The Minister for Finance has no executive function in Revenue. He cannot instruct Revenue to do anything and he certainly can't instruct them not to collect a tax or instruct them about how to collect taxes.

Well, ya know what, you can tell him.

• Advertisement

Well, ya know what, you can tell him.
    He already knows.

I was telling Am Chile who was under the mistaken impression that the labour party could dictate to Revenue how they could go about collecting the LPT.

"The Minister for Finance has no executive function in Revenue." - Phoebas.

Brilliant. :pac::pac:
    I wonder has the troika?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,412 ✭✭✭francie81

the difference being that the property tax in other country's pays for bins to be emptied and other services to be provided...what do we get for our property tax?

Well said buddy but again the majority of the gob****e Irish will just end up paying it (excluding this one) anyway am thinking and continue to rant and rave about the government across the airwaves not too mention those meaningless protests that never and will never hit home a merry go round maybe one day just maybe we will do it right:rolleyes:

He already knows.

I was telling Am Chile who was under the mistaken impression that the labour party could dictate to Revenue how they could go about collecting the LPT.

I really did'nt want to keep engaging with ya on this, but I can't let it go. There are four (4) people that decides what happens in this country. They are collectively called the EMC. Now, I know that you know who the four (4) are.
    I will also tell ya that Am Chile was not under any mistaken impression, as you put it. He is one of a few posters here who knows exactly what he is talking about.

Oh btw, people keep mentioning revenue like they're the bogeyman or something?

Revenue have enough in their plates with tax evasion in this country. (real tax evaders)

Yeah, I noticed that too, ever since I joined Boards.ie
    They're really not that bad. Look at Mick Wallace, he's doin alright.

I really did'nt want to keep engaging with ya on this, but I can't let it go. There are four (4) people that decides what happens in this country. They are collectively called the EMC. Now, I know that you know who the four (4) are.
    I will also tell ya that Am Chile was not under any mistaken impression, as you put it. He is one of a few posters here who knows exactly what he is talking about.
    I don't quite know what you're on about.

Does this group operate under the covers with secret handshakes and the like, or if there legislation and allows them direct the Revenue in operational matters, with minutes of meetings and stuff?

Just need to know if I'm dealing with a CT here. Because there's another forum for that kind of thing.

I don't quite know what you're on about.

That does'nt really surprise. Adios, hombre.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭Am Chile

I see from breakingnews.ie
    The Labour Party’s days in Government are numbered unless it pursues a different agenda, grassroot members warned.

More than 60 members of the coalition party met in Dublin to put pressure on the leadership to implement more Labour policies in Government.

Councillor Cian O’Callaghan said: “A sharp wake-up call has been issued to the Labour Party in recent weeks with the resignation of Nessa Childers MEP, the poor by-election result and the collapse in Labour support in the polls.

“This is the last chance for the Labour Party to assert its relevance in Irish politics as a vehicle for progressive change.

“If the Labour Party does not pursue a broad progressive social democratic agenda in Government its days are without doubt numbered,” the Mayor of Fingal added.

http://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/last-chance-for-labour-party-grassroots-members-warn-590380.html

LIke I said in my last post a few days ago its one thing threatening to get revenue to deduct money from source- doing it is another thing completely-I bet there are several within labour that fear there will be severe consequences if such threats get carried out-whats the bets the current coalation will last a full term and labour wont pull out of government?

Am Chile wrote: »
    I see from breakingnews.ie

http://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/last-chance-for-labour-party-grassroots-members-warn-590380.html

LIke I said in my last post a few days ago its one thing threatening to get revenue to deduct money from source- doing it is another thing completely-I bet there are several within labour that fear there will be severe consequences if such threats get carried out-whats the bets the current coalation will last a full term and labour wont pull out of government?

Labour are finished AC.

I can't see the current coalition make it to summer.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 343 ✭✭Chop Chop

Labour are finished AC.

I can't see the current coalition make it to summer.

I wish this was true. Pity they will see out their term, who in their right mind would give up such a cushy number?:confused:

Advertisement